In need of guidance. First time BFA after Legion.

Hello!

Recently (after pre-patch) i've used my token to experience BFA. All raids, story and etc.

Tried some questing in Zandalari first zone. Hit 50. The king was taken away by a giant dinosaur.
    After that i got a quest for Azeroth Hearth. Which i acquired, did something in titanic chamber and left (as there were no quest indicators what to do next).

So the question is - what do I do next?
    My character is still decked with Legion gear. Where do I find dailies for gear?

Garrison table gives me only one hero. How to unlock more?
    Tried one of the Nathanos quests. Ended up in the hole in the sea. Still no gear quests there.
    Should I just run some dungeons, then LFR, for gear?

Maybe there is some sort of a bucket list on how to do everything in order?
    I really just need gear to kill mobs faster.

Thank you for your time and answers!
    Going to try out some Alliance leveling in the meanwhile.

If this is your first time in WoW, welcome. If you're returning, welcome back. Just follow the quests. There are breadcrumbs everywhere. The boat down south, or the King up top. There's the war campaign on the boat from Nathanos. The content stream is the same as it ever was. Pick up quests, do questlines, complete zone. Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Truth is hitting max on BFA now is one of the worst feelings / moments the game ever had. As a new or returning player, theres is shitload of questlines and things to do before the game even lets you play, which you ofc have no idea you need to do because you never experienced it. Legendary back and unlocking 8.3 content takes too long, arbitrary 8.2 content is abnoxious, its one of the reasons I dont even want to level any more alts.

I haven't tried dungeons since the pre-patch, so I can't really say, but - check loot ilvl in the dungeon journal and if the dungeon finder lets you queue up for Normal/Heroic, you're absolutely free to gear up that way. Same with LFR.

As for the world/story content:

1. For world quests, you need to complete Uniting Zandalar. You can get it from Nathanos on the boat, once you:

a) Reach friendly with all 3 major factions on your home continent - for Horde it's Talanji's Expedition, Voldunai, Zandalari Empire; this will happen naturally as you quest through each zone and only applies to the first character you unlock world quests with. You can pick up breadcrumb quests for other zones from the map inside the pyramid.

b) Unlock all 3 footholds on the other continent; this is done by playing through the War Campaign, starting with Nathanos on the boat. Here's a guide that should help you proceed if you got stuck somewhere:

https://www.wowhead.com/horde-war-campaign

c) New in 9.0.1 - you also need to obtain the Heart of Azeroth that you already have, so that's not a problem.

2. You say you ended up in a hole in the water by doing one of Nathanos' quests - that was the introduction to Nazjatar; you should go back and continue doing it at least until you complete Magni's part of the questline. If you teleported out and can't go back, speak with the same guy that you used to go to Nazjatar for the first time, I think it's Captain Rezo'kun, located in the western part of the port area.

This questline will bump your Heart of Azeroth to level 50, pretty much allowing you to use all traits on any Azerite Armor you have and give you your first Essence. Along the way you should also get a weapon plus 1-2 pieces of Benthic gear with enough pearls to upgrade one. After you do stuff for Magni, you will get a quest to go back to Nazjatar, which after a couple more steps will unlock world quests in the zone. They're not super useful unless you want to get a couple more Benthic gear pieces, so you might as well skip this.

3.While you do Nazjatar/Magni unlock, specifically after you unlock the Heart Forge and get your first Essence, you should get a quest "Return of the Black Prince". This starts the introduction to 8.3 content. It's pretty long, but it should give you some of the 8.3 Essences and an ilvl 125 cloak, while at the same time unlocking access to N'zoth assaults, which can drop some decent-ish gear from the completion cache. Anyway, here's a guide:

https://www.wowhead.com/guides/visio...sions-assaults

---

If I were you, I'd start with doing Nazjatar -> N'zoth questlines to get the Heart of Azeroth level increase and the cloak. This along with some gear pieces you pick up along the way should make it easier to do other stuff and if you choose to go for world quests, also increase the item level of loot you get. After that, it's really up to you, though if you're in for the story - do the outdoor stuff, try some dungeons/LFR and don't really bother gearing up all that much - in a couple of days, the pre-launch event will begin, handing out some easy ilvl 100 catch up gear, which is way more than enough to have a comfortable start in the Shadowlands.

And heck, if you don't feel like grinding right now, you might as well wait for the event - though I'd still recommend that you go upgrade your Heart of Azeroth to level 50 via the Nazjatar questline and maybe unlock the cloak. If you get some ilvl 100 Azerite Armor, keep it (e.g. from emissary quests) - you won't be able to use Essences/Azerite Traits in the Shadowlands, but the armor itself comes with a LOT of primary stat/stamina, which still makes it more powerful than regular gear, even without the extra powers.

Finally, as for Essences - I don't think there's a point to farming them now. You might be able to grind out a couple before Shadowlands comes out, but you won't have a lot of time to use them and they won't work in the next expansion anyway. If you really want to grind for something, it's probably better to get some cloak upgrades through Horrific Visions.
    Last edited by Sarethion; 2020-10-30 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysis View Post
    Truth is hitting max on BFA now is one of the worst feelings / moments the game ever had. As a new or returning player, theres is shitload of questlines and things to do before the game even lets you play, which you ofc have no idea you need to do because you never experienced it. Legendary back and unlocking 8.3 content takes too long, arbitrary 8.2 content is abnoxious, its one of the reasons I dont even want to level any more alts.
    Same. Needing to do all these questlines and systems on each character before I'm even allowed to start grinding for gear is just too much. Imagine if corruption was still in the game though. Its bad enough without it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look for quest markers that are slightly darker/more orange than the typical yellow quest markers. Those are quests that pertain to story.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

form what im reading you are ready to unlock nazajatar if its the same for horde as it is for alliance there should be a bread crumb quest on your boat

Thank you all for response and taking your time to leave a message.
    Especially Sarethion for detailed guide.

Went with Nazjatar thingy. Got a bit confused when epic axe reward had ilvl of 60, when my warglaives from legion are 70. Then it clicked, that everything is balanced around 10 - 50, so Legion weapons are best.

I guess that is also the reason why my Demon Hunter feels so squishy on DPS spec. On tank spec it's a bit slower and less interrupts available, but in general, more fun for me.

What about more followers for Garrison table? I still only have one

Now I am in a bit of a dilemma - should I level up the rest of my roster (8 chars at 45) or just try out Alliance experience. Only played as Alliance in TBC. New models are a turn down. Especially Draenai, as I played one.

Hi again! Decided to post in same thread.

I do not understand why, but when I leveled up alliance toon, I was unable to open Nazjatar straight away. I have to get three factions to friendly, then unlock some footholds. What gives? On my horde toon I didn't have to do that and I got quest to visit Nazjatar right away.
    Is this a bug?