Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Harry Potter stuff. I thought it all seemed very uninteresting and I saw one of the films and thought it sucked and never bothered.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    The Diary of Anne Frank. I'm not big on fiction.

Trolling isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Am I missing something with this post? To me it says he read Anne Frank and doesn't like fiction. Not that he thought Anne Frank was fiction?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Haven't read any of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature.

Haven't read In Search of Lost Time.

Haven't read The Grapes of Wrath.

Haven't read The Magic Mountain.
    I've tried to read The Magic Mountain about 4 times. I get about 200 pages in and quit. But I learned why it doesn't work for me: I guess it's mostly a take-off on the literature of its time so a lot of what might have had made it interesting is completely lost on me.

I've read the first book of In Search of Lost Time. I don't think I'll ever finish the rest. I get lost at about page 15 of the 30 page sentences.

I've not read a lot of pop fiction, like Stephen King or Tom Clancy. Animal Farm is a well known one I've never read.

All Quiet on the Western Front
    or
    Crime and Punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

All of them lol, last time i read a book was at school like 15 years ago.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dracula
    Moby dick

Haven’t actually read a book in while despite The fact I used to read 600 pages books every week from grade 4 to 12. Just don’t have the time to grab a book and read.

Mein Kampf

15+ Year Old Account
    War and Peace
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the Bible.

And/or a toss up between Faust and Heart of Darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Catcher in the Rye, i keep meaning to but i keep forgetting about it too.
    After reading it I can't stop thinking about John Lennon & Ronald Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You could say "the hero" only enters in the second part. I mean...there is the old and new testament and I don't think J. is in the old one.
    Jesus is referenced quite a bit in the Old Testament, just not by name specifically. His coming and prophecies of events surrounding him that occur in the New Testament are found all over the Old Testament.

I'd say even if your average person read the Bible, they'd probably not understand half of it or misinterpret quite a bit of references and word usage. Even if you get a full English version, the vernacular is still based upon the times in which they were written, as well as historical references and sociological paradigms of the times. Sometimes you need to go back to the original language to get a better understanding of context, and that depends on which book you're reading, who the author is, and who the intended audience was for. As an example, the New Testament is filled with letters and recollections of the apostles, whose audience ranged from Romans citizens, Jews, other non-believers, and even their own clergy... and the words and phrases used in these books relies on the reader's knowledge of those specific scenarios, as well as knowledge as a whole of the general messages. This is how you get people saying "zomg, the Bible condones slavery! It says 'slavery' right here and sounds like it's okay with it!" without realizing the the context of what's being said, the historical terminology and meaning and setting of what's being said, how previously stated hierarchy of who to serve says and relates to the scenarios, etc. Basically, it's not a light read and requires quite a bit of study and historical knowledge to understand it... which is why most people (even self-proclaimed Christians) don't get around to reading it and misrepresent/misquote it. Irony is once you get some historical context, you'll realize that the events and how people are acting in the Bible are almost exactly how society acts today.

Most famous book I personally haven't read? Probably something slips my mind, as I tend to read what I want to read. I suppose Moby Dick from reading the other posts, never had much interest in reading it and haven't gotten around to it.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drummer View Post
    i would say the Great Gatsby
    The Silmarillion, I loved the Hobbit, I loved Lord of the Rings... but The Silmarillion, I could not get past the first page... it read like The Bible... "So and so begat so and so, who begat..." yeah put it down, couldn't finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Am I missing something with this post? To me it says he read Anne Frank and doesn't like fiction. Not that he thought Anne Frank was fiction?
    No, he was calling The Diary of Anne Frank, fictional.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    No, he was calling The Diary of Anne Frank, fictional.
    Honestly, you can read it either way. You could also interpret the fact that the Bible is the most popular book on the planet. And they were inferring that the Bible is fiction as well if you want to make that leap as well. I know I'm stretching things with the last bit though.

But its for that poster to submit an appeal if they want for the infraction not for us to discuss moderation being moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I think he is implying that the Holocaust/persecution of the jews is not real, therefore saying that he is not into fiction. That's my understanding at least, I might be wrong

bible/quran hands down.

Excluding Religious text and political propaganda (Mein Kompf or Memoirs of Chairman Mao), I would go with The Catcher and the Rye. I have started many famous books, like War and Peace or the Game of Thrones series but couldn't get into them and quit. I am a fairly avid reader though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Bible, and the Harry Potter books.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudSecularHumanist View Post
    i think it must be the Bible
    I read the bible, good work of fiction, still waiting for a sequel to come out.