Page 1 of 2
LastLast

When did you first use a computer?

I remember in primary school doing my work on the computer when I was about 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drummer View Post
    around 1980-81 or so is when we got the first computer at home, dad being a big tech nerd and a big portion of our basement was set up as an electronics lab with basically all electronics lab equipment you would ever need in life. fast forward 40 years and have moved from an 8 bit 3.5Mhz 16kb of ram and no harddrive to 64bit 4Ghz+ 32gb of ram and 1 Terabyte of M2 gen4 as main drive of your system, and prices has mostly stayed the same on those systems

I inserted "punch cards" as a small kid in those old machines, but my first home computer was the amiga 500 as a child.
    -

First you have to define "use a computer", Does that mean more than a Game console or calculator? If not, then the Atari 2600. If you mean something that actually counts as more than a game console, then it would be the Commodore Vic 20, which I got for Christmas at age 10 at the end of 1980 or maybe in 1981, hard to remember the exact year

Early 80s on an Apple II in school, my personal computer I owned was a 386 25mhz that I felt was a speed demon.

Some Dell brand thing my brother bought when I was about 7, so 1996.

a pc or console? i had a commodore 64 in late 80s early 90s age 6-7, got a IBM pc in mid 90s age 11-12
    Last edited by mojusk; 2020-11-07 at 04:48 PM.

Playing Billiards off a floppy disk on the IBM PC Jr Dad had in his office.

Playing some games in my fathers office, I was about 6-7, so around 1994. No clue what kind of hardware it was. Got a PC at home much-much later.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember...maybe 4th or 5th grade? Got first home PC in umm I think around 1996 or 97...maybe 98?

The first gaming console I had was "Pong" around 1979 or 1980. First worked with computers in high school, a Commodore PET, in the fall of 1982. Got my first computer, a Coleco ADAM, for Christmas in 1983 at a local Toys R Us. It was Christmas Day. The guard didn't want to let my dad and I in the store, pointing to a roped off area where hundreds of shoppers stood. Luckily I realized what was going on, and told the guard, "We're not here for a Cabbage Patch Doll." Dad and I had the whole store to ourselves. In 1993, Dad and I got our first PC Clone, a 486 DX4/100 with 8 MB of RAM, a 1 GB Hard Drive, a quad -speed CD-ROM. I don't remember the exact specs on the video card.

The ADAM I used for ten years was a children's toy compared to today. Most cell phones are more powerful and faster than it was. When the first "brick" phones came out in the later 80's, I never would have imagined just what they would become.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I think it was like 1998/1999 when I was around 5/6 years old. We had a computer at home and I quickly became fluent in it and played a few games (UT 1999 and Rollercoaster Tycoon <3). I remember in school the teachers used to say "he knows how to use the computers, he's a whizz kid on them!" and really, it was just basic stuff that you would learn quickly. Same as smartphones when they first came out I guess, just takes some getting used to and for them to become prevalent and affordable in society.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drummer View Post
    My father had one of those old home computers, a macintosh or something.

My first interaction with it was to hit the monitor with a keyboard (i was very young).
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

1996 or so, at fathers workplace.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Hell, I dunno. My grandpa was an electrical engineer, so it could've been any time.

First time I remember using a computer was either my grandfather's commodore 64, or the Apple II boxes at my elementary school. So probably around 1989-ish?

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    My first one was a C64 in the late 80s and then in 91 i got an Amiga 500 and after that i got a 80386(Think it was in 94) and have been a pc user ever since
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    Funny how my first computer was a TI-99 4/A my next one was a Blueberry iMac.

I had 11 consoles in between.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Some computer in elementary school in the mid 90s. We would go play some games on them.

First computer I brought was a ZX81, payed for it with my paper round money back in 80/81

7+ Year Old Account
    First computer I used was the first computer I owned: a Timex Sinclair 1000 - circa summer of 1982. I was 13 at the time.