Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Right, ME1 done on insanity as engineer.

I don't recall waves of geth spawning in during the Saren fight previously, but it has been a long while since I played it. Is that new or am I just forgetting?

The final fight, even on inanity, wasn't that hard, just tedious. The way he keeps bouncing around all over the shop made me switch from the sniper rifle to assault rifle. And the massive pile of shields/health just takes ages to burn through. Final team was Ash and Wrex, both pretty much unkillable and with plenty of firepower. At level 29 with the best gear you can get, those two tank like crazy, especially with immunity, shield boost and, in wrex cases, barrier.

Now importing on to ME2 for an insanity run there. Don't think I've played engineer in ME2/3. I did in ME3 MP, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Right, ME1 done on insanity as engineer.

I don't recall waves of geth spawning in during the Saren fight previously, but it has been a long while since I played it. Is that new or am I just forgetting?

The final fight, even on inanity, wasn't that hard, just tedious. The way he keeps bouncing around all over the shop made me switch from the sniper rifle to assault rifle. And the massive pile of shields/health just takes ages to burn through. Final team was Ash and Wrex, both pretty much unkillable and with plenty of firepower. At level 29 with the best gear you can get, those two tank like crazy, especially with immunity, shield boost and, in wrex cases, barrier.

Now importing on to ME2 for an insanity run there. Don't think I've played engineer in ME2/3. I did in ME3 MP, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
    I'm totally envious because I just finished ME1 and I'm terrible at the combat. I think I'm rushing in too much and not using the pause quite enough. I died twice doing the ME2 tutorial mission when I started. Trying to figure out ways to improve (I was soldier, but I'm thinking about switching to Adept or Infiltrator).

Quote Originally Posted by jcf190 View Post
    I'm totally envious because I just finished ME1 and I'm terrible at the combat. I think I'm rushing in too much and not using the pause quite enough. I died twice doing the ME2 tutorial mission when I started. Trying to figure out ways to improve (I was soldier, but I'm thinking about switching to Adept or Infiltrator).
    Don't worry too much. The combat in ME1 is very different and much worse then the combat in the following games. In ME2 it becomes a lot more dynamic and about cover and ability use.
    Last edited by Raisei; 2021-06-28 at 06:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something about the game on Insanity when you start off and you're underleveled as a non-Soldier class is just absolute garbage, you are a wet fucking noodle and you hit like a wet fucking noodle. EVERYTHING oneshots you and you spend all your ammo on one motherfucker. Squadmates get oneshot as well.

Just spent the last hour on the Prison ship with no ammo and no squadmates. Still made it, but FUCK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Don't worry too much. The combat in ME1 is very different and much worse then the combat in the following games. In ME2 it becomes a lot more dynamic and about cover and ability use.
    I have to disagree. ME1 is unique and fun, while everything else feels very...conventional. I loved the idea of having a weapon with infinite ammo that just heats and gets less accurate as it fires, overheating if fired too much. That and using a shotgun felt very satisfying. Most games treat them like a melee weapon that does nothing at range, ME1 treated them like fucking CANNONS.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Something about the game on Insanity when you start off and you're underleveled as a non-Soldier class is just absolute garbage, you are a wet fucking noodle and you hit like a wet fucking noodle. EVERYTHING oneshots you and you spend all your ammo on one motherfucker. Squadmates get oneshot as well.

Just spent the last hour on the Prison ship with no ammo and no squadmates. Still made it, but FUCK.
    Yeah, low level power classes on Insanity is straight up not fun. Putting defenses on everything was a stupid idea. Always run with squaddies that can strip whatever you're weak against (shield as Biotic, Barriers as tech)

You'll get your reckoning in ME3, however. Adept has biotic explosions for days, Engineer can do Fire, lightning or Cryo ones as needed, and a well specced Sentinel is a right and proper tank. Soldier might go from the best class in ME2 to the worst in ME3, not because it gets nerfed, but because everyone else becomes OP.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I have to disagree. ME1 is unique and fun, while everything else feels very...conventional. I loved the idea of having a weapon with infinite ammo that just heats and gets less accurate as it fires, overheating if fired too much. That and using a shotgun felt very satisfying. Most games treat them like a melee weapon that does nothing at range, ME1 treated them like fucking CANNONS.
    Personally I did not get the crunchy feedback from them in ME1, just the loud boom. In ME2/3 the impact looks more dramatic. Think FEAR (ME2/3) vs some average shooter (ME1).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Yeah, low level power classes on Insanity is straight up not fun. Putting defenses on everything was a stupid idea. Always run with squaddies that can strip whatever you're weak against (shield as Biotic, Barriers as tech)

You'll get your reckoning in ME3, however. Adept has biotic explosions for days, Engineer can do Fire, lightning or Cryo ones as needed, and a well specced Sentinel is a right and proper tank. Soldier might go from the best class in ME2 to the worst in ME3, not because it gets nerfed, but because everyone else becomes OP.
    I shrivel at the idea that I have to do the sidemission with the 3 mechs soon. Hopefully I'll have the Cain before that point.

I shrivel at the idea that I have to do the sidemission with the 3 mechs soon. Hopefully I'll have the Cain before that point.
    Oh, fuck that sidequest indeed. Instead of the Cain, IMO grab the Arc Projector to fry the shields pronto. Armor is the easiest defense to strip once that's done, both techs and biotics have ways to rip through it. In general I'd say any Biotic class should rock the Arc Projector the vast majority of the time, a well aimed blast can strip an entire squad of shields and you can then merrily toss them around.

How come nobody every told me the actual game Mass Effect 3, not the ending but the gameplay/systems/character development/story up until the ending, is really really good, lol?

I just totally skipped it originally with the Internet cheering me on. That was a mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    How come nobody every told me the actual game Mass Effect 3, not the ending but the gameplay/systems/character development/story up until the ending, is really really good, lol?

I just totally skipped it originally with the Internet cheering me on. That was a mistake.
    It isn't the ending I don't like, I generally feel like it's the weakest in the series. It's hard to keep track of side quests, things are impossible to find, The Citadel's layout is at its worst, dialog choices are stripped to a minimum, and the squad choices are more limited.

It isn't the ending I don't like, I generally feel like it's the weakest in the series. It's hard to keep track of side quests, things are impossible to find, The Citadel's layout is at its worst, dialog choices are stripped to a minimum, and the squad choices are more limited.
    It also is kind of railroaded in on dialog a bit. Feels like Shep just kind of drones on in the direction of paragon or renegade depending on your levels with each and when in the other games you probably would have had a couple dialog wheels pop up to guide the conversation more. At least I feel that way.

The Citadel sidequests are pretty bad, but the other side content like helping Grunt's crew tear up the Rachni is easily on par with ME2's loyalty missions. The smaller squad is a blessing IMO, the large team in ME2 sometimes meant some squaddies barely had anything to say all game long; compare Garrus's screen time in both games, he has like two convos in ME2 after his loyalty mission if you don't romance him.

Plus the ME3 Citadel is my favorite. It's big without feeling empty like ME1's, and changes over the course of the game to reflect the galaxy's desperate situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who doesn’t tear up when Mordin sacrifices himself to cure the genophage??

About 10 bucks off on Steam for the Summer sale. Still debating as I got a back log still and the thought of doing ME1 again isn't pleasant.

Finally got it, started off with a Vanguard for once instead of my usual Soldier route. Will it be as terrible as I think it will be? Going for insanity runs obviously.
    Vanguard isn't that great or notable in ME1- in ME2 and ME3, it's probably considered the "easy mode" class, but it's also fun.

Enjoy darting around the map like a bullet. If you fought Tela Vasir, that's basically what you can expect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Since the first time I ever played a Mass Effect game with the sequel in 2010 I've only ever played as female Shepard. I tried the male character at first but I found the voice very wooden. Femshep's VA was on another level so I stuck with that.

After finishing my playthrough of the LE with my renegade femshep last night I tried making a male Shepard for a paragon playthrough. Made a pretty decent face that I was happy with... and then he spoke. The male VA sounds so bad to me, like there's no emotional connection at all. It's like he was given random phrases with no context and told to read them neutrally. It's almost as bad as Farengar in Skyrim.

Does it get better? I'd like to switch things up by playing a male Shepard for once but I don't think I can stand that bad VA for the whole trilogy.
    These kinds of comments irk me a bit. I have nothing against FemShep, but I think her popularity and superiority in terms of voice acting is a little bit of an internet cult meme.

All that aside, the VA improves from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Even by the options, AI provides:
    1. Die
    2. Die
    3. Destroy reapers and all synthetics, some of your implants get damaged.

There's no guarantee that after your die in 1 you get to control reapers, there's also no guarantee that after you die in 2 that everyone gets green.
    So for all intents and purposes, you just die like an idiot.
    Tagging on here, I get that people feel sympathy for the Geth and EDI, but at the same time, Destroy has pretty much been the goal since ME1, which is one of the reasons I took it.

Then there's the fact that Control and Synthesis have their own issues under the hood in my opinion. I know it's a topic that's beaten to death, but Control to me spells long-term disaster. Synthesis is an idealistic notion that ends up looking horrifying in practice.

For Control, it's clear enough that they try to send the message that you can do it because your Shepard is supposedly not indoctrinated while the Illusive Man was. Fair. One big issue remains. Shep-AI =/= Shepard. Shep-AI is an approximation of Shepard's personality, experiences and values and AI evolve. There is no reason for the AI to be tethered to those things since they aren't a part of it, they have no personal connection with it like Shepard themselves did. Short-term, things should be fine. But even if you have the most Paragon of Jesus Christ Shepards, suppose decades pass, centuries, with this AI evolving on its own, gradually losing whatever few connections it had to life? How unlikely would it be for it to evolve past its origins and become possibly even more cold than the Catalyst and Harbinger? To me, it feels like it's an inevitability.

Synthesis to me is pure fridge horror. Ignoring the fact that it's galactic battery and it's followed up by the Reapers playing nice with the civilizations that they were harvesting and/or turning into disgusting unholy techno-organic monster hybrids for fodder in battle simply because a member of said civilization appeased them..

Said unholy techno-organic hybrids are hinted to be self-aware after Synthesis. Whereas in Destroy, the Husk in the cutscene naturally dissolves and in Control, it stops abruptly and scurries into an alley, in Synthesis, once it reaches Earth, it stops in its tracks and stares with what seems like realization or contemplation at the human it was trying to rip apart a mere moments ago.

In short, there's three real endings, one of them carries its negative aspects on its sleeve (the destruction of EDI and the Geth) while the others hide them and present themselves as the ideal endings to save everyone and allow them to live happily ever after. For me, that means picking the first option, because even putting aside the specific qualms I have with these endings, it's the only one that doesn't try to lull me into a false sense of security with surface level utopian notions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post

You got memed. You only have yourself to blame, 99% of the people only hated the ending, but the game itself up to that point was very good.

Plus it made a very good conspiracy theory (which was proven wrong by the developers I think but it's still very interesting):

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Who doesn’t tear up when Mordin sacrifices himself to cure the genophage??
    you mean when you shoot mordin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    About 10 bucks off on Steam for the Summer sale. Still debating as I got a back log still and the thought of doing ME1 again isn't pleasant.
    i hear there is some kind of save editor if you just want to check the me1 boxes without playing it.

Why not just play 2 and 3 if you don't like 1?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    i hear there is some kind of save editor if you just want to check the me1 boxes without playing it.
    There is also this interactive comic that lets you make the decisions iirc. It's definitly in the LE but i skipped it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get the save editor off Nexus mods to skip the unpleasant parts. I used it for the ME1 collectibles and ME2 minerals that were a pain to grind.