Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I can't tell if you're really offended or just jealous at this point.
    Jealous? Why? I have a real job.
    Being a games journo might be cool when you finish high school but come on...

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Jealous? Why? I have a real job.
    Being a games journo might be cool when you finish high school but come on...
    Of course, video games are just for kids... says the guy on a video game forum with a cartoon character for an avatar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spectres follow the Space Police trope and have clear parallels with the Galactic Patrol from Lensman (which also inspired part of ME's FTL systems.) People who think they can't be Space Cops because they're not literally walking a beat have a very narrow view of what police work can entail especially in a sci-fi context.
    Spectres are more like intelligence agency agents to me. CIA, MI6, KGB.

Either way I think Polygon concern trolls gamers who buy into it. EZ clicks and mental real estate.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-05-20 at 02:45 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    That article seems stupid and seems like its trying to seem super progressive, but in the end looks like someone that hates fun.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2021-05-20 at 02:51 AM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Spectres are more like intelligence agency agents to me. CIA, MI6, KGB.

Either way I think Polygon concern trolls gamers who buy into it. EZ clicks and mental real estate.
    It's definitely clickbait. Polygon knows that, while some serously read their articles, there's also a large subset of people who are sent into a frothing rage by them and give them free clicks.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Of course, video games are just for kids... says the guy on a video game forum with a cartoon character for an avatar.
    Nah, it's not just for kids, it's a hobby.
    I wouldn't want any of my hobbies as a job, do you?

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Depends. I like to travel. If my job was to travel places, I would like that a great deal.
    I like to fish, but I wouldn't want to fish for a job.

Also, I would hate to be a video game journalist, not because it is a terrible job, but rather I don't feel they are given time to enjoy or play games for fun.
    It would basically ruin the hobby for me.

So, it all depends on the hobby more than anything else.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, the import bonus possible going into ME2 is pretty big for a more thorough completion of ME1, way more so than the original. Got over a million credits out of it right at the start of ME2.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Man, the import bonus possible going into ME2 is pretty big for a more thorough completion of ME1, way more so than the original. Got over a million credits out of it right at the start of ME2.
    Well, it was 350K, so about 3x the bonus on credits.

What about resources?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    thats nice. going from 10 mil credits to 100k, was it, always felt odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Well, it was 350K, so about 3x the bonus on credits.

What about resources?
    Resources are about the same as before, but it now seems to also take about 10% of your credits in ME1 and give it to you in ME2 instead of just a static bonus.

Good reason to make sure you're capped out on money when doing the last mission now, this is a massive bonus with things on vendors generally being less expensive in the second game.

That would be a dream... actually doing something to earn money i would do anyway in my sparetime?

So after playing some time I can definitely see some lightning issues and other annoying things. Updated textures are very noticable and really gives the majority of improvement (feels good to see all the little details!), then some lightning does the rest. But there absolutely could have been a bit more fixes, additional decals, etc. I really wanna know if old save game import issues are fixed (gonna find out soon I guess).
    Gameplay wise the game does feel closer to M2/3, which I can only approve.
    P.S.
    The launcher is overengineered, though. There was zero need for fullscreen pseudo 3D app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ended up getting the game sooner than I planned. Never finished a ME1 playthrough. Was hard to play through it after doing multiple ME2 runs first. They fixed some of announces, I've run into a lot of bugs. I'm pretty tolerant of bugs but I'm surprised so many exist. T-posing Geth, stuck enemies, stuck/unresponsive allies, movement being reversed, unable to interact with anything, and what I think is idle animations bugging out. Not sure if they are just ME1 quirks or the engine in general. I also think I randomly received credits at times.

Other than that I'm having fun, and those bugs don't take me out of the game. Playing on the PS5 makes me really hope they go back and optimize the game for the new consoles. I keep expecting some cool interaction with the Dualsense controller. There's some instances where the devs obviously didn't account for fast load times.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Ended up getting the game sooner than I planned. Never finished a ME1 playthrough. Was hard to play through it after doing multiple ME2 runs first. They fixed some of announces, I've run into a lot of bugs. I'm pretty tolerant of bugs but I'm surprised so many exist. T-posing Geth, stuck enemies, stuck/unresponsive allies, movement being reversed, unable to interact with anything, and what I think is idle animations bugging out. Not sure if they are just ME1 quirks or the engine in general. I also think I randomly received credits at times.

Other than that I'm having fun, and those bugs don't take me out of the game. Playing on the PS5 makes me really hope they go back and optimize the game for the new consoles. I keep expecting some cool interaction with the Dualsense controller. There's some instances where the devs obviously didn't account for fast load times.
    Yeah the loading thing is def noticable especially running through the citadel. Not too bad though. Did notice a t-pos instance on my run through as well, but with Shepard not any NPC's. And encountered a bug when I tried to put some caged mind controlled salarians out of misery for some reason just killed my frames. Overall They did fix quite a lot of bugs, but many still exist, and a few new ones have popped up. The new Spectre gear bug annoyed me a bit. But I'm at the endgame now so I'll be hoping on to the rest of the trilogy, which I guess didn't get as much of a makeover. Gonna romance Tali this run though since they actually gave her a non stocked image face from what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    That would be a dream... actually doing something to earn money i would do anyway in my sparetime?
    I guess a hobby is so special because you can't spend so much time doing it.
    To me it seems that, for example, almost every streamer and games journo really dislikes gaming. They probably liked it when they took the job, they do it because they pay their bills with the money they earn doing it but i doubt they do it in their free time anymore.

I noticed quite a few bugs too in ME1 (haven't played the others yet). The Mako getting stuck on terrain and then suddenly disappearing completely (which is awkward since you can't leave a planet on foot, had to reload), enemy models getting permanantly stuck in the mako, Sheppard falling through walls, stuff like that.
    I played the original ME1 like 5-6 times and never noticed any bugs.

Finally got to play ME1 for the first time. It runs buttery smooth on my Series S. I'm about 20 hours in and just left the port in Noveria to hunt a particular individual. First impressions are that overall it's more janky than the sequels, especially the combat, but it's fun enough despite some tedious corridor sections. I've experienced a few bugs: Shephard got stuck walking backwards; the Mako got stuck on nothing, and when I exited it it reappeared in a different location (this happened several times); Liara got stuck in a kneeling position. Annoying but not game-breaking as yet.

I'm playing an Infiltrator and tend to bring Liara and either Wrex, Ashley or Tali with me on missions. Garrus seems to die pretty quick even with upgraded armor and Kaiden's just boring. Not sure if I'll replay this one much, I've had some fun with it but it definitely feels like it's starting to drag a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    The author of the article that started this discussion seems to be in a particularly good place. Their main career seems to be going quite well and writing about video games is a side activity they do, meaning their hobby won't become a chore they need to do for their jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess a hobby is so special because you can't spend so much time doing it.
    To me it seems that, for example, almost every streamer and games journo really dislikes gaming. They probably liked it when they took the job, they do it because they pay their bills with the money they earn doing it but i doubt they do it in their free time anymore.
    I've really never noticed this. I'm sure there are some people who become a bit jaded because the thing they like doing becomes a chore they have to do for work but I'm pretty sure that people with a strong dislike for video games would move on from a job that involves playing and writing about them. I have seen similar attitudes to yours, particularly during the Gamergate debacle, and it largely seems to come from people who are sad or upset that someone is saying things they disagree with and have to invent a situation where that person is unhappy with their life.

I've really never noticed this. I'm sure there are some people who become a bit jaded because the thing they like doing becomes a chore they have to do for work but I'm pretty sure that people with a strong dislike for video games would move on from a job that involves playing and writing about them. I have seen similar attitudes to yours, particularly during the Gamergate debacle, and it largely seems to come from people who are sad or upset that someone is saying things they disagree with and have to invent a situation where that person is unhappy with their life.
    Thats you usual counter, isn't it? You don't like something so you must be either jealous or unhappy.
    It takes one to know one they say...

Edit: Oh an since you mentioned Gamergate.. yes they showed pretty well back then that this was the case. Best example the guy who was flown to some hotel to preview some rockband game and he complained in his article that videogames are so shallow and he'd rather discussed Philippine politics.
    Last edited by Yriel; 2021-05-21 at 12:09 PM.

Thats you usual counter, isn't it? You don't like something so you must be either jealous or unhappy.
    It takes one to know one they say...
    Wait I'm confused, I thought that was your usual counter... you don't like someone's opinion on video games so they must be miserable and hate video games.

Edit: Oh an since you mentioned Gamergate..
    Oh god no forget I mentioned Gamergate, I don't think the video game community has recovered from all the cringe that shitshow produced.

Edit: I found the article you referenced. It's basically an informative preview of Rock Band couched in musings of someone who isn't a fan of rock music or music games but ended up part of the preview. It really doesn't prove the point you think it does.
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2021-05-21 at 12:59 PM.