Strangeness at level 30 post-squish

I was excited to see that post-level squish a number of old raids from Vanilla through Wrath would all be level 30. I thought, now that levelling is super fast, it would be fun to create and freeze a couple toons at 30 for fun, lazy off nights.

However, one of the strange side effects of level scaling and the recent level squish is that regular level 30 dungeons drop Rare ilevel 36 gear, whereas Heroic level 30 dungeons and level 30 raids drop Epic ilevels between 32-35. In fact a Heroic dungeon will drop an epic quality, identically named item with lower stats than its Normal counterpart.

So, although I am still going to do this for snits and wiggles, the fun and anticipation of getting drops is gone. In theory, I can get a better quality item out of RFC than 25 man Icecrown Citadel.

I'm still going to make a couple 30s just for the fun of it, but I think this is a weird choice, nonetheless. thoughts?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mage in Pajamas View Post
    I was excited to see that post-level squish a number of old raids from Vanilla through Wrath would all be level 30. I thought, now that levelling is super fast, it would be fun to create and freeze a couple toons at 30 for fun, lazy off nights.

However, one of the strange side effects of level scaling and the recent level squish is that regular level 30 dungeons drop Rare ilevel 36 gear, whereas Heroic level 30 dungeons and level 30 raids drop Epic ilevels between 32-35. In fact a Heroic dungeon will drop an epic quality, identically named item with lower stats than its Normal counterpart.

So, although I am still going to do this for snits and wiggles, the fun and anticipation of getting drops is gone. In theory, I can get a better quality item out of RFC than 25 man Icecrown Citadel.

I'm still going to make a couple 30s just for the fun of it, but I think this is a weird choice, nonetheless. thoughts?
    I haven't paid attention to that, but the squish has had other weird consequences. For example, tanking normal dungeons (i.e. those you queue for in RDF) is noticeably harder at lvl 30+ than below 20, despite having more skills and health.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I haven't paid attention to that, but the squish has had other weird consequences. For example, tanking normal dungeons (i.e. those you queue for in RDF) is noticeably harder at lvl 30+ than below 20, despite having more skills and health.
    The scaling tech has always been really unpredictable, especially with tanks and heals. Remember BT timewalking after the changes? When only like 2% of groups actually completed it because it was so horribly overtuned? The loot thing seems REALLY strange, but isnt a huge surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I struggled with this with my monk tank in particular when leveling. I leveled a pally tank too, it wasn't as bad, I don't know if it is just a class/skill thing, or that I did WotLK on the monk and TBC on the pally (to explain the difference) but keeping aggro, especially if they were <30 was hellish, they would big pull and it might have been ok for them but I struggled to stay alive. Bosses hit like a truck too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Bosses hit like a truck too.
    And it isn't just bosses. Trash in normal Stonecore was autoattacking me for almost 1.6k per hit, and that was with Ironfur and Barkskin up - otherwise it was almost 2k damage per hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Everything has gotten harder, my wife and I used to run each other through normal dungeons to get quests done on levelling characters with our geared Max level characters but now my wife gets killed super easy on her Max level on normal bfa 5 man's. It used to be very easy.

The funny thing is. I was tanking in brd and I got one shot from auto attacks on the final boss.

100 to zero with auto attacks in a split second.
    Not even m20 dungeon one shots you with auto attacks.
    So yeah scaling is broken under certain conditions. Still everything is possible with most groups.