Poll: Special Senate Runoff Outcome

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Mitch McConnell has no intention of passing it, he will put poison pills in that bill and that has to be called out. Also the idea that either Georgia Republican candidate actually supports the 2k stimulus is utterly bogus.
    I agree 100% with both of these statements. My take on it is that McConnell is fighting with every bit of power that he has to make sure it fails, and Perdue and Loeffler are flat out lying in order to keep from losing too many votes in Georgia over this.

The fact that they are lying and saying that they support the stimulus means to me that their internal polling shows that Georgia voters, including republicans, are HUGELY in favor of the $2k stimulus. Everything that I have seen is telling me that this is exactly the kind of bill that democrats should absolutely do everything they can to make it pass, and if they fail, to get as much attention showered upon this as they possibly can.

And they are. Congressional democrats are doing a GREAT job. And the press, even the ones that are trying to defend McConnell, are helping out quite a bit.

If I understand correctly, the stimulus package that was passed was about $150 billion in aid to everyday Americans, and $750 billion in aid to the business community. Since we were able to afford $750 billion for businesses, on top of the March stimulus that was heavily weighted toward the business community, we can afford a total of around $600 billion for everyday Americans.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I agree 100% with both of these statements. My take on it is that McConnell is fighting with every bit of power that he has to make sure it fails, and Perdue and Loeffler are flat out lying in order to keep from losing too many votes in Georgia over this.

The fact that they are lying and saying that they support the stimulus means to me that their internal polling shows that Georgia voters, including republicans, are HUGELY in favor of the $2k stimulus. Everything that I have seen is telling me that this is exactly the kind of bill that democrats should absolutely do everything they can to make it pass, and if they fail, to get as much attention showered upon this as they possibly can.

And they are. Congressional democrats are doing a GREAT job. And the press, even the ones that are trying to defend McConnell, are helping out quite a bit.

If I understand correctly, the stimulus package that was passed was about $150 billion in aid to everyday Americans, and $750 billion in aid to the business community. Since we were able to afford $750 billion for businesses, on top of the March stimulus that was heavily weighted toward the business community, we can afford a total of around $600 billion for everyday Americans.
    I'm surprised more that McConnell is willing the gamble so much in dedication to his Marketeering. Or he is insanely overconfident in Democrats, rather amazing, ability to blow a sure thing.

McConnell is either getting high on his own supply; and thus gotten cocky in his abilities to hold onto the Senate, or he really is Cocaine Mitch and on some serious drugs. Passing 2k in helicopter money is so wildly popular that to not do it would seem like suicide. Plus going after Trump and defying him given the GOP doesn't really have a base, Trump does and those voters are already pissed.

McConnell either thinks he can effectively rule the senate without a majority, which is probably true, OR he thinks he can out run this misstep, or he thinks somehow it won't hurt him. I think in general his days are numbered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Only six days until the overpowering flurry of advertisements ends!

I think in general his days are numbered.
    I'm not going to say that until he is lying in a piss-covered grave somewhere in Kentucky (presumably).
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

I'm surprised more that McConnell is willing the gamble so much in dedication to his Marketeering. Or he is insanely overconfident in Democrats, rather amazing, ability to blow a sure thing.

McConnell is either getting high on his own supply; and thus gotten cocky in his abilities to hold onto the Senate, or he really is Cocaine Mitch and on some serious drugs. Passing 2k in helicopter money is so wildly popular that to not do it would seem like suicide. Plus going after Trump and defying him given the GOP doesn't really have a base, Trump does and those voters are already pissed.

McConnell either thinks he can effectively rule the senate without a majority, which is probably true, OR he thinks he can out run this misstep, or he thinks somehow it won't hurt him. I think in general his days are numbered.
    I hope you are right.

If I had to guess, I would say that Corporate America is so used to winning every battle, and when their wins hurt America in any measurable way, they get everyday Americans to pay the price while they profit. Look no further than the American failed response to the virus, which has caused the stock market to soar to record highs while everyday Americans are hurting big time. Even the upper middle class "winners" aren't doing THAT great as they are wedded to their jobs and high housing costs eat up a huge chunk of their winning salaries.

And the business community has a solution for people that are going to move to a cheaper city and work from home: ok you can do that, and OBVIOUSLY your salary will be reduced according to our estimates of standard of living costs.

So the people supporting McConnell are betting on this turning out to be a victory for them one way or another. Their track record is so good for them that it is understandable why they feel this way.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Only six days until the overpowering flurry of advertisements ends!

I'm not going to say that until he is lying in a piss-covered grave somewhere in Kentucky (presumably).
    Well, much like say Henry Kissinger, the Phylactery would have to be destroyed first, and that shits a bitch to find.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I hope you are right.

If I had to guess, I would say that Corporate America is so used to winning every battle, and when their wins hurt America in any measurable way, they get everyday Americans to pay the price while they profit. Look no further than the American failed response to the virus, which has caused the stock market to soar to record highs while everyday Americans are hurting big time. Even the upper middle class "winners" aren't doing THAT great as they are wedded to their jobs and high housing costs eat up a huge chunk of their winning salaries.

And the business community has a solution for people that are going to move to a cheaper city and work from home: ok you can do that, and OBVIOUSLY your salary will be reduced according to our estimates of standard of living costs.

So the people supporting McConnell are betting on this turning out to be a victory for them one way or another. Their track record is so good for them that it is understandable why they feel this way.
    IMHO, and I know this will be less popular here, but most of Corporate America has already decamped to the Democratic Party anyway, leaving McConnell with only the truly scummy of shysters, Oil execs who give the GOP just in case money, and a few scant business interests like gambling and other more predatory and scummy activities to back him. McConnell also cannot continue to turn to the Christian Right, to the extend they still exist, they got what they wanted, they got the courts and unless McConnell could credibly promise an Anti-Abortion amendment, he has nothing left to offer them. All of the big players that won out of COVID, basically Silicon Valley don't give two shits about the GOP and are much more embedded in the Dems.

McConnell survives largely either because Democrats are profoundly stupid (Who the fuck picked that McGrath lady?) OR they are easily swindled by the vast consultancy networks that orbit around them like flies.

McConnell, to make such a reckless move with that stimulus check is taking a mighty risk. It is on the Dems to call bullshit on it and if they can't win this race, after this, well, at that point I conclude the Dems didn't want it. Either that or they need to stop depending on consultants and people from think tanks to staff their campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

People keep forgetting, it doesn't fucking matter if Moscow Mitch becomes the most hated human being in 49 states, he just needs to win in that shithole of an inbred backwater of Kentucky.

And Kentucky voters seem determined stay an inbred miserable backwater as long as they can stick it to the libs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    People keep forgetting, it doesn't fucking matter if Moscow Mitch becomes the most hated human being in 49 states, he just needs to win in that shithole of an inbred backwater of Kentucky.

And Kentucky voters seem determined stay an inbred miserable backwater as long as they can stick it to the libs.
    If people in Georgia hate McConnell enough so that they vote for democrats for Senate seats then it helps quite a bit. There is still a decent chance that he gets demoted when the 2 Georgia Senators are seated.

Note that if the two Georgia democrats win close races, then republicans can keep McConnell in the top slot for a while by challenging the results and preventing the two democrats from being seated.

Making McConnell the most hated human being in 49 states strongly restricts the crap he can get away with, and increases the scrutiny he gets over the crap maneuvers that he pulls. Making McConnell the most hated human being in 49 states redirects American hatred that otherwise will be directed at Biden and Pelosi and Schumer and AOC and Sanders. Making McConnell the most hated human being in 49 states will improve results for democrats in state and local races all across the country in 2022. Making McConnell the most hated human being in 49 states would be quite effective in helping democrats in so many ways. It also is the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    As someone who lives in Georgia and gets (minimum) 3 of those huge/obnoxious ones in the mail every day....yeah. I'll be glad when that's done.
    The difference in the tenor of the adds between the two sides is astounding, and amusing, and also aggravating.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Well, even if they did a 2k stimulus bill it wouldn't matter on this election since Perdue is now in quarantine. So he get's away with the lie, but that's whatever. Nobody is voting Perdue. Nobody is Voting Loeffler. They would be voting for Trump. You look at any event for Perdue and Loeffler everyone is in Trump merch. And right now, if they counted the votes, Dems would win. Dems will continue to win for the next few days. Republicans need and may very well get a big turnout on the 5th to win the election. It'll all depend on how excited Trump can get people to vote on a ticket he's not on when he goes down there to have his rally.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    As someone who lives in Georgia and gets (minimum) 3 of those huge/obnoxious ones in the mail every day....yeah. I'll be glad when that's done.
    Yeah...I can't imagine how bad the ads and mailers are for you Georgians. Entire fucking control of the Senate up for grabs, I wouldn't be surprised if the total dollars thrown at this combined both sides is north of $500MM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Yeah...I can't imagine how bad the ads and mailers are for you Georgians. Entire fucking control of the Senate up for grabs, I wouldn't be surprised if the total dollars thrown at this combined both sides is north of $500MM.
    I can't (TV/YouTube/radio/etc.) without being told that if Ossoff and Warnock win, AOC and Bernie will turn us into a communist hellhole. It's overwhelming, even for political hobbyists. Also I've never lived in a swing state previously, so I'm really not used to the intensity.
    -Louis Brandeis

I can't (TV/YouTube/radio/etc.) without being told that if Ossoff and Warnock win, AOC and Bernie will turn us into a communist hellhole. It's overwhelming, even for political hobbyists. Also I've never lived in a swing state previously, so I'm really not used to the intensity.
    The fact that these ads sway so many people so much of the time is a major reason that our politics are so toxic, infantile, and irrelevant. There is no way to even begin to discuss anything in a serious way in such an atmosphere. It's also a reason why the US was the major power in the past, and China and EU will the major powers in the future.

15+ Year Old Account
    IMHO, and I know this will be less popular here, but most of Corporate America has already decamped to the Democratic Party anyway
    Well, I suppose declaring this to be true aids in your headcanon that the corporate elite are in league with the Democrat cabal of George Soros and Hillary Clinton.

A quick review of OpenSecrets.org showed me that Democrats are by far the largest receivers of campaign donation money from unions and small political action committees. Meanwhile, Republicans get the lion's share of super PAC donations which largely include major corporations, but mostly oil, banks, insurance companies (hah). A lot of the communications corporations like AT&T and others are split between both parties. And large individual donors (Bloomberg, etc) are basically split down the middle, but a little top heavy with Republican donations.

It's a strangely even split among corporations overall between Democrats and Republicans, though it leans Republican, so the idea that corporations have been flocking to support Democrats is largely false. But yes, Democrats do have the support of tech companies and education institutions (almost all universities and education organizations throw their money at Democrats, geee I wonder why).

I think it's strange to point out that Democrats have the support of silicon valley almost as if you're trying to insinuate that's some bad thing. Tech giants tend to have far more and better paying jobs than the manufacturing giants that throw their money at Republicans and mostly operate overseas and with robots.

Democrats receive far more funding from small, individual donors across America, showing that monetarily they have the support of the people, at least those with $20 to drop on an election race. Donald Trump was something of a strange exception among the last 20 years, but even he failed to beat out small donations to Democrats. Of course, him funneling campaign money into his own pockets instead of the campaign fund, as well as spamming the emails of his adoring cultists might be a reason for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Same. I live in GA as well and the Democrat ads are pretty level headed - even disappointingly so. I wish the Democrats would play hardball for once and really underline the importance of this election by blaring just how much McConnell has fucked us. But I assume they think people would be turned off by such hard tactics.

Meanwhile Republicans demonstrate they are not above hyperbole and lying in their political ads. There's one political ad against Warnock that strings together a whole bunch of words from different parts of the same speech to form the sentence "We will / have total / control of / the government" Like it's so obvious that the / parts are CUTS. And of course you know a bunch of schmucks out there will believe it. The ad of course then goes on to tell how Warnock with Bernie and AOC are going to turn our country into a communist regime that will remove all freedom.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...nd-billionaire

It helps to be a billionaire whose husband owns the stock market.

Truly, she will understand the needs of normal, regular, everyday people who are woken up by their personal assistant, have their personal chef make them breakfast, and put on some nice expensive designer clothes before your driver drives you to your office. You know, regular people things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...nd-billionaire

It helps to be a billionaire whose husband owns the stock market.

Truly, she will understand the needs of normal, regular, everyday people who are woken up by their personal assistant, have their personal chef make them breakfast, and put on some nice expensive designer clothes before your driver drives you to your office. You know, regular people things.
    There's a sickening payoff if you read the whole whole article:

During her campaign, Loeffler has faced criticism from Democrats for her and her family's wealth. She faced investigations by the Justice Department and the Senate Ethics Committee after she and Sprecher sold stock shares following a briefing on the coronavirus before the pandemic led to a market crash. Those sales included transactions in shares later affected by the global pandemic.

The briefing took place on Jan. 24, and Loeffler sold stock that same day. Between Jan. 24 and Feb. 14, she and Sprecher made more than 20 stock sales between $1.275 million and $3.1 million. In addition, the couple's portfolio saw stock purchases in two companies, one of which was Citrix, which produces teleworking software.
    As a common joe I would certainly just love to be in these meetings as I think anyone with even a basic level of intellect would know which stocks to sell and which to buy.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Same. I live in GA as well and the Democrat ads are pretty level headed - even disappointingly so. I wish the Democrats would play hardball for once and really underline the importance of this election by blaring just how much McConnell has fucked us. But I assume they think people would be turned off by such hard tactics.

Meanwhile Republicans demonstrate they are not above hyperbole and lying in their political ads. There's one political ad against Warnock that strings together a whole bunch of words from different parts of the same speech to form the sentence "We will / have total / control of / the government" Like it's so obvious that the / parts are CUTS. And of course you know a bunch of schmucks out there will believe it. The ad of course then goes on to tell how Warnock with Bernie and AOC are going to turn our country into a communist regime that will remove all freedom.
    It's sad that the Democrats keep trying to play by the rules when the other side has taken the rule book, ripped it up, shredded it, used the remains as toilet paper, set it on fire, snorted the ashes and boasted about it live on TV so many times on their cheerleading news channels.

I don't think Democrats should become evil. But take off the kid gloves and go for the jugular once in a while. 2021 Senate elections in Georgia should have had by now Democrats repeatedly show how Mitch has been going against the $2000 stimulus cheque.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It's sad that the Democrats keep trying to play by the rules when the other side has taken the rule book, ripped it up, shredded it, used the remains as toilet paper, set it on fire, snorted the ashes and boasted about it live on TV so many times on their cheerleading news channels.

I don't think Democrats should become evil. But take off the kid gloves and go for the jugular once in a while. 2021 Senate elections in Georgia should have had by now Democrats repeatedly show how Mitch has been going against the $2000 stimulus cheque.
    The press has tons of articles stating exactly this: the reason people in Georgia won't get a $2k check (ok they don't QUITE phrase it like that, but it's not that far) is because of McConnell and the republicans blocking it, with democrats fighting hard to get the checks sent out.

And yet no democratic ads reinforcing those many messages.

Pelosi and Schumer and Sanders did what they had to do. The fault definitely does NOT lie with any of them. Schumer has surprised me with what he has tried to do to get the stimulus through.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post

Yup. But for me it's not even just "playing hardball" I want to see them do. I think one of the Dems' biggest messaging failures of the 2020 general- which has basically continued here- is their failure to tie the GOP and Trump together. They just seem to live in this fantasy where somehow Republicans are fine, it's just Trump that's the problem. I mean...even if you think that's TRUE, it's still a terrible political strategy.
    -Louis Brandeis

Yup. But for me it's not even just "playing hardball" I want to see them do. I think one of the Dems' biggest messaging failures of the 2020 general- which has basically continued here- is their failure to tie the GOP and Trump together. They just seem to live in this fantasy where somehow Republicans are fine, it's just Trump that's the problem. I mean...even if you think that's TRUE, it's still a terrible political strategy.
    What’s so annoying is when democrats say “ we know republicans they’re not bad people they just need to take by their party”

From who? The MAJORITY WHO SUPPORT THIS SHIT??

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    What’s so annoying is when democrats say “ we know republicans they’re not bad people they just need to take by their party”

From who? The MAJORITY WHO SUPPORT THIS SHIT??
    To an extent, it's true...on certain issues. On immigration restrictionism/nationalism/race/Christian supremacy/etc. then I 100% agree with you. But there is a certain truth that the GOP uses 'culture war' issues to win votes while acting in ways that many/most of their voters don't actually approve of when it comes to economy, healthcare, and other substantive policy issues.

So I guess "they should take back their party" is partly true...in the sense that the GOP is 100% corporate shills, and a bulk of their voters aren't the economic libertarians that the GOP mega donors are. But in terms of most of the other issues...yes the GOP base is leading the politicians who live in perpetual fear of them. It IS the party of the loud, angry, reactionary, nationalist 'conservatives.'
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2021-01-01 at 08:52 PM.
    -Louis Brandeis