Balance AOE rotation question

Is there a certain number of mobs where it’s better to cast starfire over wrath even during solar eclipse?

There might be, although take into consideration that:

- if you spam Starfire during Solar Eclipse, Starfire cast time is pretty long
    - it also deals pretty weak dmg, even considering the splash dmg
    - due to long cast time, your AP generation sucks, which means you might not be able to maintain 100% starfall uptime

I'd still just cast Wrath in such situation and let Solar Eclipse Sunfire and Eclipse Starfall do their job.

I don't see how there ever would be. Purposefully casting Starfire in a Solar eclipse means a lot of negatives:

- Slower casts resulting in poorer damage but also slower Astral Power generation
    - Losing the extra damage from mastery
    - Your starfires in Solar Eclipse won't be benefitting from 20% crit (and 150% extra splash damage if you're specced into Soul of the Forest)

If it still managed to be worth it despite all those negatives then there would be some serious design flaws.

Gonna use this thread to ask another question- do the bonuses of Starsurge in eclipses overlap?

For instance, you cast couple of Starfires, you enter an eclipse, you cast a Starsurge, then right before the eclipse falls off, you cast the big moonkin cooldown(Incarnation of something), do you keep the bonus of that Starsurge cast in the first eclipse, or is the new one counted anew, regardless if it was overlapped or not?

Nope, the stacks reset. I think the only situation in which the stacks remain while the duration is extended is VoP proc and Pulsar.

Once you get to level 60, your AsP generation will be so low that you'll just be spamming Wrath mostly in Solar Eclipse in AoE situations just to maintain Starfall. Any excess AsP goes into Starsurges, or you spend time applying Moonfires that will last a while during Solar Eclipse if you feel you'll be able to maintain Starfall adequately. Regardless, it'll be more efficient to generate AsP via Wraths during a Solar Eclipse in AoE situations. If there is a scenario where using Starfire is better during a Solar Eclipse, it would be at a very high target cap that you're likely not going to run into... or the difference over using Wrath for AsP generation or refreshing/putting up DoTs is barely different.

Right now in pre-patch, things are very volatile, and things can change depending upon talents and procs. If anything, get into the habit of using Solar Eclipse for DoT maintenance for AoE, as it'll give you the best results in any scenario.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    which means you might not be able to maintain 100% starfall uptime
    Is the the intent now? What about Starsurge? Does Starfall take priority over Starsurge?
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Is the the intent now? What about Starsurge? Does Starfall take priority over Starsurge?
    It fully depends on the state of the field, I'd say. If enemies are spread out, there's no point in Lunar Eclipse Starfire stacks. If the targets are stacked then I'm not really sure, but I'd personally still have Starfall 100% uptime as a priority and then spend excess AP on Starsurge if there's a window.

The thing about the current balance playstyle is that, while in theory there are windows to play things perfectly and to full potential, in practice it's rarely the case. Would it be great to have both Starfall and huge crit chance for Starfire with stacked enemies? Yeah. But it's a game of choices and I'd personally take a huge range, guaranteed Starfall dmg over higher Starfire crit chance which is hugely affected by how the adds are positioned.

Remember we're talking strictly about AoE situations.

Definitely. It deals far more damage than it did in BfA, and all the SS exclusive boosts are gone in SL. SS won't be relevant until you have enough haste to have an AP surplus while maintaining 100% uptime of Starfall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Definitely. It deals far more damage than it did in BfA, and all the SS exclusive boosts are gone in SL. SS won't be relevant until you have enough haste to have an AP surplus while maintaining 100% uptime of Starfall.
    I hate all these revamps of classes...

We barely get to get a feel with a class/spec, before then change it completly again..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

I hate all these revamps of classes...

We barely get to get a feel with a class/spec, before then change it completly again..
    Well, Balance is getting an odd lot of that. I don't think we've ever had any system for longer than two expansions at most.