Page 1 of 14
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Question What was the point of siding with Sylvanas in BFA?

    What was the point of introducing branching in BFA war campaign questline if the choices don't have any impact and all we got in the end is Garrosh 2.0?
    Did I miss something here? Was something scrapped out of the game or just not completed at all?
    I don't see any suitable conslusion for those who chose to side with Sylvanas, and now with Nathanos' death there surely be none coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    B) Torghast is the coolest thing Blizzard has produced

  2. #2
    You sided with Sylvanas. You were given that choice many times.

    And you were forsaken by her, like literally 99% of every other creature who remained loyal to her (she will betray Nathanos too).

    That is a suitable conclusion. Next time do not side with a genocidal psycho, because those kind of leaders do not tend to care about their subjects.
    Some will tell you that the Light is the only path. The only weapon that can stop the enemies of Azeroth. But we see alternatives. Many roads, many possibilities, that are open to us. There will be those who doubt you. Who question your resolve, your ability to harness powers that have caused the downfall of weaker wills. Together, we will prove them wrong.

  3. #3
    Immortal Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    7,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    You sided with Sylvanas. You were given that choice many times.

    And you were forsaken by her, like literally 99% of every other creature who remained loyal to her (she will betray Nathanos too).

    That is a suitable conclusion. Next time do not side with a genocidal psycho, because those kinds of leaders do not tend to care about their subjects.
    Way to miss the point. The thing is, why open the possibility of allying with her if the ending was going to be the same as the rebel choice? Oh, and spare me your morality lessons, I don't need the one Alleria fan in these boards to tell me that her sister is EvVVuUUulL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The Jailer's first ever appearance involved chucking him [Baine] off a cliff for being too shit to even qualify as a Maw trash mob.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Way to miss the point. The thing is, why open the possibility of allying with her if the ending was going to be the same as the rebel choice?
    Would you prefer if your character was stripped of all their items, achievements, titles, mounts, pets, gold, and abilities, and put into jail like every other Banshee loyalist?

    Yeah, that's what I thought.
    Some will tell you that the Light is the only path. The only weapon that can stop the enemies of Azeroth. But we see alternatives. Many roads, many possibilities, that are open to us. There will be those who doubt you. Who question your resolve, your ability to harness powers that have caused the downfall of weaker wills. Together, we will prove them wrong.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    That is a suitable conclusion.
    If the conclusion is the same disregarding choices, what was the point of introducing them in the first place? To create an illusion of choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    B) Torghast is the coolest thing Blizzard has produced

  6. #6
    There was no point to it really... aside from giving the illusion to the players that their choice matter/affect the story.

    Perhaps it was scrapped, there is no proof or info about such thing, but there's always a possibility.

  7. #7
    Immortal Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    7,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Would you prefer if your character was stripped of all their items, achievements, titles, mounts, pets, gold, and abilities, and put into jail like every other Banshee loyalist?

    Yeah, that's what I thought.
    Still missing the point, I see. That's what I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The Jailer's first ever appearance involved chucking him [Baine] off a cliff for being too shit to even qualify as a Maw trash mob.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Would you prefer if your character was stripped of all their items, achievements, titles, mounts, pets, gold, and abilities, and put into jail like every other Banshee loyalist?

    Yeah, that's what I thought.
    No I want to get me some of that Sweet, Sweet Jailor power and then become a champion of Sylvanas as the new 3rd faction made up of all the Undead races of Azeroth that are against both alliance and horde.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    If the conclusion is the same disregarding choices, what was the point of introducing them in the first place? To create an illusion of choice?
    What illusion? Did you not complete the War Campaign up to patch 8.2.5? The Loyalist player actually DEFENDS Orgrimmar instead of attacking it, has the Warchief authorization to fly (everyone else is shot down), and spills the blood of Alliance and Horde rebels. Literally, the entire final questline is different for those who remained loyal.

    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    No I want to get me some of that Sweet, Sweet Jailor power and then become a champion of Sylvanas as the new 3rd faction made up of all the Undead races of Azeroth that are against both alliance and horde.
    Nathanos does not get that power, Sira does not get that power, why would you?
    Some will tell you that the Light is the only path. The only weapon that can stop the enemies of Azeroth. But we see alternatives. Many roads, many possibilities, that are open to us. There will be those who doubt you. Who question your resolve, your ability to harness powers that have caused the downfall of weaker wills. Together, we will prove them wrong.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    What was the point of introducing branching in BFA war campaign questline if the choices don't have any impact and all we got in the end is Garrosh 2.0?
    Did I miss something here? Was something scrapped out of the game or just not completed at all?
    I don't see any suitable conslusion for those who chose to side with Sylvanas, and now with Nathanos' death there surely be none coming.
    I agree, kinda pissed me off because I was behind Sylvanas choices for the entire Xpac. Basically Take Kalimdor of the Horde and Let the Alliance have the EK.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    What illusion? Did you not complete the War Campaign up to patch 8.2.5? The Loyalist player actually DEFENDS Orgrimmar instead of attacking it, has the Warchief authorization to fly (everyone else is shot down), and spills the blood of Alliance and Horde rebels. Literally, the entire final questline is different for those who remained loyal.
    Obviously the questline is different, but the outcome is still the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    B) Torghast is the coolest thing Blizzard has produced

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    If the conclusion is the same disregarding choices, what was the point of introducing them in the first place? To create an illusion of choice?
    From a game dev point of view, not a lore one, yes. The point was to create the illusion of choice and see how the opportunity to make that choice was received. This had the hallmarks of a test. A nice little bit of "meaningless" flavor content that allowed Blizz to test the idea of split quest lines and locked cosmetic rewards.

    In the short term, no your choice didn't matter. But in the long run, for Blizzard anyway, we may see this sort of thing expanded on later; however, don't know what conclusions they drew and we may never see it again.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    Obviously the questline is different, but the outcome is still the same.
    If the outcome was not the same and the Loyalist PC actually suffered the consequences of their lack of judgement, you would be complaining about how harsh Blizzard is against you (since your PC would be thrown into jail).

    Also, a major split in the questline is not caused by the illusion of a choice, but by an actual choice. If one player gets Questline A, and another gets Questline B, then those 2 players chose differently, and their choices had consequences. It is a fairly straightforward concept.
    Some will tell you that the Light is the only path. The only weapon that can stop the enemies of Azeroth. But we see alternatives. Many roads, many possibilities, that are open to us. There will be those who doubt you. Who question your resolve, your ability to harness powers that have caused the downfall of weaker wills. Together, we will prove them wrong.

  14. #14
    To show who's a simp and who isn't.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    What was the point of introducing branching in BFA war campaign questline if the choices don't have any impact and all we got in the end is Garrosh 2.0?
    Did I miss something here? Was something scrapped out of the game or just not completed at all?
    I don't see any suitable conslusion for those who chose to side with Sylvanas, and now with Nathanos' death there surely be none coming.
    Post this thread again after Shadowlands in done because right now no one can answer that question except Blizzard and they aren't going to tell you.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Would you prefer if your character was stripped of all their items, achievements, titles, mounts, pets, gold, and abilities, and put into jail like every other Banshee loyalist?

    Yeah, that's what I thought.
    You do not need to start with logic in this discussion. ALL the horde were Sylvanas loyalists (except very few rebels) and yet non of them were put in chains.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Would you prefer if your character was stripped of all their items, achievements, titles, mounts, pets, gold, and abilities, and put into jail like every other Banshee loyalist?

    Yeah, that's what I thought.
    Better than being burned alive in some dumb tree.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Nathanos does not get that power, Sira does not get that power, why would you?
    Being 'the chosen one' by the literal planet god would be one reason.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    What was the point of introducing branching in BFA war campaign questline if the choices don't have any impact and all we got in the end is Garrosh 2.0?
    Did I miss something here? Was something scrapped out of the game or just not completed at all?
    I don't see any suitable conslusion for those who chose to side with Sylvanas, and now with Nathanos' death there surely be none coming.
    There is one suitable conclusion: just because you want something to be so doesn't mean that it is actually so.

    The option allows you to explore the story as Sylvanas' minion, up to and including the point where she dumps you like all the rest.

    So congratulations, you've discovered the final answer: You are nothing to her, save perhaps a distraction as Nathanos was.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Respect all, submit to none.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    You do not need to start with logic in this discussion. ALL the horde were Sylvanas loyalists (except very few rebels) and yet non of them were put in chains.
    Wrong. Many Banshee loyalists are being paraded around Orgrimmar. The new government does not accept people who do not forsake their former loyalties to Sylvanas. So you either renounce your loyalty to Sylvanas, or you are thrown into jail.

    The PC chose option 1. Wise choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Better than being burned alive in some dumb tree.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Being 'the chosen one' by the literal planet god would be one reason.
    The Jailer does not care about your power level, he cares about your intentions.

    Sylvanas was just a simple banshee, but he found her worthy of his power because he knew that her idealism would make her an easy pawn. The PC had, has, and will always have noble ideals, as they constantly fight bad guys to save Azeroth. Even the Sylvanas loyalists thought they were genuinely helping the Horde and its people.

    You cannot play an evil character with evil ideals.

    You will never be able to play an evil character with evil ideals. You can put in your TRP3 profile "evil psychopath who worships Sargeras", but Blizzard and the world around you will always treat you as a hero.

    WoW never gave you the opportunity to play an evil character with evil ideals, and it never will.

    Deal with it. Go play Swtor if you want to be a crazy villain.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-11-10 at 10:52 PM.
    Some will tell you that the Light is the only path. The only weapon that can stop the enemies of Azeroth. But we see alternatives. Many roads, many possibilities, that are open to us. There will be those who doubt you. Who question your resolve, your ability to harness powers that have caused the downfall of weaker wills. Together, we will prove them wrong.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Wrong. Many Banshee loyalists are being paraded around Orgrimmar. The new government does not accept people who do not forsake their former loyalties to Sylvanas. So you either renounce your loyalty to Sylvanas, or you are thrown into jail.

    The PC chose option 1. Wise choice.
    Not wrong at all. What the horde does is basically saying "whatever, we don't really care, let's just say we renounce her so the alliance shuts up" and everybody goes along with it. Many of the people in power are the same people that ordered or executed all the crimes that they blame now on Sylvanas.

    If the games goes this route to throw away all realism, fair enough, but then we do not need to discuss logically on this topic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •