10+ Year Old Account

Covenants and legendaries

So, after all these nerfs and buffs so far, what covenant has everyone decided to go?

Personally i think i'll go Necrolord on my Elemental shaman, seems like a decent ability and the Tmog's are nice.

Also, are there any theorycrafting that's been done to see which legendary you should go for first?
    Should you bite the bullet and get the one from Torghast during the first week, or try and get Skybreaker's Fiery Demise from the raid?

Sims are not out yet so cant tell.

For covenants all options are close to each other.

I want to go Night Fae because I like the whole 'one with nature' thing but Kyrian steward ability seems so cool. But I hate Kyrian thematically so Night Fae it is

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Yavimawa View Post
    I want to go Night Fae because I like the whole 'one with nature' thing but Kyrian steward ability seems so cool. But I hate Kyrian thematically so Night Fae it is
    Yeah I'm thinking Night Fae too because of the "spirits/nature stuff", but Necro too because of "spirits/ancestors" stuff. Not sure yet.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Will depend if Shaman ends up as my Main or an Alt.

My main (RDruid, RSham or possibly MW Monk) will be Night Fae. I like the Story/Aesthetics of the Covenant, good Soulbinds for Healing and the Weekly event seems far less tedious than the others.
    This Counts against Shaman a bit however, as Fae Transfusion is a bit underwhelming.

If Shaman ends up as my Main-Alt, then probably Venthyr for Chain Harvest in M+
    If Shaman is "just another Alt" then maybe Kyrian for the Mog.

I've wanted to go Night Fae ever since SL was announced but based on everything I've seen, Night Fae is looking to be significantly weaker than the other 3 so idk, prob Kyrian. At least I get cool wings.

I have 2 shaman, Enhance Shaman is probably going to be night fae. The class ability seems good for being in the middle of a pack to use and the covenant ability looks to be a nice little movement ability which adds to or frees up my 40 level talents row.
    Ele/R Shaman is prob going to be Kyrian, I like the vesper totem, seems like good fun. I can do without the rest of the Kyrian aesthetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I have 2 shaman, Enhance Shaman is probably going to be night fae. The class ability seems good for being in the middle of a pack to use and the covenant ability looks to be a nice little movement ability which adds to or frees up my 40 level talents row.
    Ele/R Shaman is prob going to be Kyrian, I like the vesper totem, seems like good fun. I can do without the rest of the Kyrian aesthetic.
    For enhance: Why would you consider a channeled ability for a spec that likes to instant cast everything? For me, I feel Venthyr synergizes very well with our kit. Plus the teleport also frees up the 40 row (which wouldn't need to be freed up anyway if they just made lunge baseline, or moved it elsewhere). I also like their armor, although the mount is pretty ugly.

I also hate the vesper totem and without a reliable way to spread Flame shock, I feel like Necro would be more of a pain to work with than the ease into our rotation CH brings

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    For enhance: Why would you consider a channeled ability for a spec that likes to instant cast everything? For me, I feel Venthyr synergizes very well with our kit. Plus the teleport also frees up the 40 row (which wouldn't need to be freed up anyway if they just made lunge baseline, or moved it elsewhere). I also like their armor, although the mount is pretty ugly.

I also hate the vesper totem and without a reliable way to spread Flame shock, I feel like Necro would be more of a pain to work with than the ease into our rotation CH brings
    Nightfae: The Lupin form is pretty neat, it gives us 15 seconds of extreme mobility, including the ability to teleport and avoid damage multiple times during that 15 seconds. It's almost another defensive in a way. Also the Venthyr door of shadows has a cast time, which is a negative.

As for Fae Transfusion: I can imagine a couple of ways to use it, not to mention its Nature damage which synergizes into the Shaman tool kit better. It also seems to scale with haste on the beta and there is a Soul Bind that reduces its channel time even further, which means I imagine it being about 1.5 gcd in length instead of 3. It's also nice for burst and it's ranged so there will always be situations where we won't be able to stay close and if I don't have ascendance I can use that to attack and gain maelstrom stacks, which is something else I don't think any other Covenant ability does.

And after all that is said and done, the ability stores its damage as healing for 20 secs which I can use at my leisure, which sounds pretty OD for mythic+ and rough raid phases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nightfae: The Lupin form is pretty neat, it gives us 15 seconds of extreme mobility, including the ability to teleport and avoid damage multiple times during that 15 seconds. It's almost another defensive in a way. Also the Venthyr door of shadows has a cast time, which is a negative.

As for Fae Transfusion: I can imagine a couple of ways to use it, not to mention its Nature damage which synergizes into the Shaman tool kit better. It also seems to scale with haste on the beta and there is a Soul Bind that reduces its channel time even further, which means I imagine it being about 1.5 gcd in length instead of 3. It's also nice for burst and it's ranged so there will always be situations where we won't be able to stay close and if I don't have ascendance I can use that to attack and gain maelstrom stacks, which is something else I don't think any other Covenant ability does.

And after all that is said and done, the ability stores its damage as healing for 20 secs which I can use at my leisure, which sounds pretty OD for mythic+ and rough raid phases.
    Fair enough. I personally don't like hard casting as enhance if I can avoid it and the cast on the teleport doesn't bother me much since I'd likely use it to avoid raid mechanics as a precast anyway. Not to mention I love the spell effect for CH. Basically a giant red CL.

As for Fae Transfusion: I can imagine a couple of ways to use it, not to mention its Nature damage which synergizes into the Shaman tool kit better. It also seems to scale with haste on the beta and there is a Soul Bind that reduces its channel time even further, which means I imagine it being about 1.5 gcd in length instead of 3. ...
    Unfortunately, looks like the Essential Extraction conduit changed to -cooldown instead of channel speed.

Nevertheless, as you say it does look like enh mastery should buff the damage, and it's pretty hard-hitting in the first place. Doesn't seem like a bad choice, though it's hard to know how much that hard-cast time impacts the rest of the spec's flow.

I was leaning toward Night Fae for my enhancement shaman until I took a look at their abilities. 3 second channeled ability that looks like I'll be better off not using in most situations and 2nd buffed spirit wolf on a long cooldown that I'll probably forget to use because I have spirit wolf. I'll probably go with Necrolords.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    I was leaning toward Night Fae for my enhancement shaman until I took a look at their abilities. 3 second channeled ability that looks like I'll be better off not using in most situations and 2nd buffed spirit wolf on a long cooldown that I'll probably forget to use because I have spirit wolf. I'll probably go with Necrolords.
    but necrolords ability is also clunky as hell (it require some annoying ~10sec setup to hit close to Venthyr ability that is just one buton to use with 5 MSW stacks, similar to kirian actually) i just wonder why you want to go from bad to worse (assuming you are not speaking form pure pvp perspective)

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

Quote Originally Posted by kosajk View Post
    but necrolords ability is also clunky as hell (it require some annoying ~10sec setup to hit close to Venthyr ability that is just one buton to use with 5 MSW stacks, similar to kirian actually) i just wonder why you want to go from bad to worse (assuming you are not speaking form pure pvp perspective)
    I may not be understanding it correctly then. It looks like instant cast, upfront damage that applies flame shock every 45 seconds and buffs your next lightning bolt. Seems a little boring but fits with enhancements toolkit. I don't see where it has a 10 second setup.

My covenant choice: Necrolord

Why: My shaman has sought power above all else. For without it we are powerless to change the events of the world. He was raised by the teaching of Vol Jin thinking himself a darkspear. He wondered the world before following Thrall to the frozen north where he saw the power of death. He fought against the powers of the undead ripping the power of saronite from these monsters. The citadel was grueling with the upper tiers destroying his hope of survival. He priotized the survival of others keeping his allies going before facing the Lich King only to feel death's embrace at the end. This would be the end were it not for tirion and the power of the light, and element he cannot touch. Determined to control the elements he fought the forces of the apocalyspe working his way through elemental foes and quelling their rage before channeling against the betrayer and corrupter of earth. Never shall the wound heal that the earth warden felled. But from this victory the elemental realms are safe and new home for Shamans was established.

He then journeyed to a new land and learned much of it's people. Tilling the earth and discovery the secrets of the pandas. It was so simple he felt a deep peace like none before. Then from the seat of lightning he faced the god of thunder feeling it like never before and gaining much respect for it's power. That is before the past and the present collided in warlords. However his recognition earned him a spot as a commander and gained much experience as a leader. His garrison was a gem and helped to secure the future of azeroth.

Though he felt it were for not when legion came. He returned to seat of thunder and lightning and took up the charge for azeroth and the elements. Taking the maelstrom as a sanctuary he gathered allies and helped turn the tide of the legion. Decimating foes like never before until he sacrificed his personal power so that the planet might live. His work was not done for Azeroth needed to heal and he learned of his true homeland. Zandalar a land he never knew but walking it's streets he realized it was his home. It was his home and he found a part of his training he had been neglecting. The spirits, the loa, the living and the dead are all connected and seek harmony. The Azerite disrupting this must be cleansed and the Oldest Foes were stiring now that destruction had been wrought on the Horde and Alliance alike. All races needed to band together to stop she who swims below and he who infects the mind.

Finally with earth warden's son the plague of insanity was erased but before Slyvanas betrayal was made clear. He looks to the sky and he remembers. The spirits remember. The land of dead calls him again. Reminding him of how powerless he truly is. The ceiling of the world is like glass, shattered and falling upon the world again. No spirit of wind or ancestor can fix it. He feels his fallen bretheren slipping up and away to be burned away into ash. He does not know what he can do except weaken the Scourge Forces as best he can to keep more from falling into the sky. He needs power, power beyond this world. He will seek it at any cost for without it he will be left with nothing.

Tiqqle has a few videos he put out the other day about all 3 specs. He’s got spreadsheets on everything included. It’s a good reference point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    I may not be understanding it correctly then. It looks like instant cast, upfront damage that applies flame shock every 45 seconds and buffs your next lightning bolt. Seems a little boring but fits with enhancements toolkit. I don't see where it has a 10 second setup.
    in single target its good although for mythic+ to get some more potential you will need to have as many FS`s as possible what that mean you will need to use FS > ice strike > fs > PW> fs > lb with target cycling and all shit around it, for me its clunkines in pure form tbh even worse than channeling for ~3 sec as that don`t require nothing beside standing still for duration and dmg is actually good for single target and aoe alike :P
    You can pair it with fire nova tho but i`m pretty sure its not worth it in current form and with rather strong alternatives that's don't require so much effort ;P
    If it would spreed FS to 2-3 extra targets instead applying it to one that would be different story
    I'm going venthyr personally although for everyone their best i assume ;P
    Last edited by kosajk; 2020-11-23 at 06:20 PM.

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

Quote Originally Posted by kosajk View Post
    in single target its good although for mythic+ to get some more potential you will need to have as many FS`s as possible what that mean you will need to use FS > ice strike > fs > PW> fs > lb with target cycling and all shit around it, for me its clunkines in pure form tbh even worse than channeling for ~3 sec as that don`t require nothing beside standing still for duration and dmg is actually good for single target and aoe alike :P
    You can pair it with fire nova tho but i`m pretty sure its not worth it in current form and with rather strong alternatives that's don't require so much effort ;P
    If it would spreed FS to 2-3 extra targets instead applying it to one that would be different story
    I'm going venthyr personally although for everyone their best i assume ;P
    I see. That is clunky if you are aiming for more aoe damage. I agree that Flame Shock really does need some way to spread. The reason I avoided the Fire Nova talent was for the same reason (clunkiness) even though I know the damage is nice.

I'm going Kyrian on my paladin, but that choice is purely story driven and has nothing to do with min/maxing my toon. I won't be raiding or pushing mythic+ (too much IRL stuff that takes priority, so no time to do so), so it's purely about story for me.
    I plan on playing through all covenant stories on different toons as well: shaman (venthyr), druid (night fae), and dk (necrolords). Might dust off my mage or warlock for Venthyr also. Just depends on time.