Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

SL pre-launch event rare drop rates

Hi guys. I was wondering what the drop rate seems to be like from the rare event bosses in Icecrown for everyone.
    I was planning to use it as the de-facto catch up method for all my alts so they would have an easier time come leveling time.
    I get that I still can because of the stone drops.
    That being said however, I made a complete rotation on my priest w/o a single drop from any of the bosses. Decided to try another toon and went 1/6 with kills.
    I know......rng. I have seen people get two drops from one boss but my luck is just beyond crap. I was able to get pieces from badge turn in. I assume that is the main mechanic...not boss drops.
    I know it is 20 mins for a chance at loot. Easy peasy. I just assumed that they would be a bit more free-flowing since it's a catch up mechanic (besides stones).

Thanks!

I've killed 14 bosses to date, and received a single epic piece drop. Small sample scale, but I'm guessing 1 in 10 chance perhaps? I could just be unlucky.

I ended up with 5 pieces of gear from 1 rotation of rares. The difference between the 110 gear from the rares and the 100 vendor stuff is only like 2 main stat so it's not a big deal imo. Sucks that there's only 1 trinket drop though so you can't get a full set of gear

I got nothing on one character and did almost all of them, then I got 3 in a row on one of my others. Just keep at it you will get stuff eventually.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Thanks. At least now I know I am not the only one haha. Thank goodness for the stone turnin.

5 rares, zero drops besides scourgestones. Pretty much gave up after that.

Honestly, the entire "Hur hur hur RNG is gud!" nonsense already has me annoyed. If this is a sign of what we can expect out of shadowlands, I suspect I won't play it for very long. And with the entire Blizzard theme of "Less loot but more valuable" crap from dungeons only dropping like 1-2 pieces. Yeah, that's gonna get old REAL fast.

Are the boss spawns really 20 mins apart? That seems retarded to me make them 5 mins tops so you can just fly around and kill bosses like we did in MOP on the Island.

Yea. Every 20 mins one spawns. I am not sure why it is that long. Ten would be fine with me.

I killed all of them once and got 4 epic items.

The real catch up is the vendor gear, plus the weapon from Nathanos. You can gear a single char in a day to ilvl 100 with that, well, minus jewelry. Although I was lucky and got a ring from a rare.

For some stats, i had 5 drops on my Paladin who did a number of rares yesterday. 3 weapons (which are useless since Nathanos had a higher one), a ring and gloves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Are the boss spawns really 20 mins apart? That seems retarded to me make them 5 mins tops so you can just fly around and kill bosses like we did in MOP on the Island.
    You can kill them multiple times per day. If it was 5 minutes instead of 20, that would also increase the amount of drops 4x in any given timespan, certainly not wanted.

Have they nerfed the rare drops? Swear they were 110 and now have gone down to 100.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

I did a complete rotation yesterday and got nothing, I guess it's not super high drop chance

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Have they nerfed the rare drops? Swear they were 110 and now have gone down to 100.
    The helm i looted this morning was iLvL 110.

"Helm of the Violent Fracas - Item Level 110" Is what it shows on my character armory page.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcrack View Post
    Sucks that there's only 1 trinket drop though so you can't get a full set of gear
    And people are reporting that the trinket doesn't even work, they don't get any stacks.

I'll check if it's true when I come home.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    The real catch up is the vendor gear, plus the weapon from Nathanos. You can gear a single char in a day to ilvl 100 with that, well, minus jewelry. Although I was lucky and got a ring from a rare.

For some stats, i had 5 drops on my Paladin who did a number of rares yesterday. 3 weapons (which are useless since Nathanos had a higher one), a ring and gloves.

- - - Updated - - -

You can kill them multiple times per day. If it was 5 minutes instead of 20, that would also increase the amount of drops 4x in any given timespan, certainly not wanted.
    Why not? It's not like the gear is relevant in any shape or form for current content and definitely not for SL content. Only the 34 slot bag should remain a rare drop (which could have it's droprate adjusted), who cares if the other gear gets dropped times as much? It's not like there's so much to do in this event besides killing those bosses, so why restrict them to 20min respawns?

1 day for item level 100 is ridiculous considering you'll get that kind of gear thrown at you in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    5 rares, zero drops besides scourgestones. Pretty much gave up after that.

Honestly, the entire "Hur hur hur RNG is gud!" nonsense already has me annoyed. If this is a sign of what we can expect out of shadowlands, I suspect I won't play it for very long. And with the entire Blizzard theme of "Less loot but more valuable" crap from dungeons only dropping like 1-2 pieces. Yeah, that's gonna get old REAL fast.
    this is how I feel as well, before the event I was doing heroic dungeons and hardly ever got gear from the bosses.
    when they announced the pre-event I thought it would be the better way to get gear but the stuff I really need is still near impossible to get (rings and trinkets).

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    1 day for item level 100 is ridiculous considering you'll get that kind of gear thrown at you in two weeks.
    Then why care at all to get any?

The drops are still 110. I have been using the stones to buy the armor but it takes a bit of time to acquire enough to buy them. A lot of sitting around. I am glad that option is there though. I have not done a lot of research on it but, I would assume you would not replace normal/heroic Ny'alotha level items at the beginning of the new zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Then why care at all to get any?
    I don't. Really, the amount of time I would have to invest to get all my alts to ilvl 100 through the event would be absolutely wasted. But I kinda question the point of this event. Yes, you see some bosses you killed in WotLK, how nice. Except you don't see them at all, since the server nearly dies when 200 players attack the boss. Made me realize than joining a raid group to farm the bosses is not a very good idea.
    And even if the server doesn't lag you don't see much of the bosses, since they die in seconds.
    So you have an event that gives no rewards besides a pet (which you get from just playing the intro quests and doing 1 set of daylies) and catch up gear. But this gear is outdated in 2 weeks and not even easy to get, because you wait 90% of the time for a boss to spawn.

20 minutes respawn timers are just crap. 20 minutes are not enough to log off or do a dungeon, level an alt or do whatever. But it's long enough that you have serious downtime between bosses. So the entire event either makes you do your daylies and then log off (which would mean that you need the full 2 weeks to get your gear) or it is waiting simulator.

Personally I don't care that much. I wait for SL. But I had hoped for a fun prepatch event and this here is the opposite of fun.

The start of SL's should be tuned around ilvl 60 since that is what you have when you finish leveling to 50. These events for gear before an expansion is just to give a leg up to alts/returning players
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death