Thread: AH undercutting

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

AH undercutting

Why do some people undercut so bad? The AH update from bfa literally makes it so you dont need to undercut and you will have priority on sell queue.
    Everyone is selling an enchant for 650g, some guy comes and puts 100 up for 300g. Way to ruin the market man.

Stop undercutting!
    I 3d print stuff

15+ Year Old Account
    I got wrong for that from a guildy once because I undercut him by like 5g and he went on in depth about how I was lowering the natural prices by doing this. He took his AH seriously it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Runicblood View Post
    Why do some people undercut so bad? The AH update from bfa literally makes it so you dont need to undercut and you will have priority on sell queue.
    Everyone is selling an enchant for 650g, some guy comes and puts 100 up for 300g. Way to ruin the market man.

Stop undercutting!
    Just buy them all out and relist for 650g. What's the problem?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean you put it in for 5g less, the next guy after you drops 100 more stacks for the 5g less, next guy tries to be smart and lowers price by another 10g for 5 stacks, next one postst another 100 stacks for 15g less than original price, and so on
    I 3d print stuff

15+ Year Old Account

Stop undercutting!
    Some don't know that, and think that if they undercut with a lot ppl will buy their shit quicker than they otherwise would've. Some might despise the people wanting to make a profit on their crafts/getting decently paid for their time, and do that deliberately just to "f*ck some goblin over". Some do that with one item in order to get ppl who don't got any awareness or knowledge of their own server market to list at a underprices so they can buy them out and relist for profit.
    But whenever you notice that, just buy them out quick, relist.

It's free market.

People have right to put whatever price they want.

Stop undercutting!
    Because he wants certainty that it sells i suppose, when yours expire i mean.

Or he might just have been annoyed by high pricing and figured to kick it down a notch or two.

Or he just did it for the lols.

And frankly lower prices are good for everyone. Buyers pay less while sellers are implicitly reminded that another can do it for less, and thus they should keep moving to improve and expand.
    Last edited by loras; 2020-12-14 at 12:38 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I mean you put it in for 5g less, the next guy after you drops 100 more stacks for the 5g less, next guy tries to be smart and lowers price by another 10g for 5 stacks, next one postst another 100 stacks for 15g less than original price, and so on
    Sounds like an easy flip to me. Something I would be happy about and not sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    It's free market.

People have right to put whatever price they want.
    This. Haters gonna hate

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Incarnia View Post
    Some don't know that, and think that if they undercut with a lot ppl will buy their shit quicker than they otherwise would've. Some might despise the people wanting to make a profit on their crafts/getting decently paid for their time, and do that deliberately just to "f*ck some goblin over". Some do that with one item in order to get ppl who don't got any awareness or knowledge of their own server market to list at a underprices so they can buy them out and relist for profit.
    But whenever you notice that, just buy them out quick, relist.
    It is also reinforced by what they experience. If they list it at a much lower price, it will most of the time sell almost instantly. Even if it would have sold at the higher price, the seller gets the impression that they'll need to list it dirt cheep to sell it quickly. Not much to really do about it other than to buy and relist.

I'll give you an example from my realm's AH I noticed the other day:

Rank 1 mail legendary helm costs ~20K. Rank 2 costs 65K. Rank 3 costs 50K despite using more mats than rank 2.
    Is the market price of rank 2 at 65K "fair"?

It's obviously just 1 or 2 guys buying up cheaper rank 2 helms to inflate the price for a quick profit. Supply and demand isn't controlling the price as supply is being artificially limited to inflate the price.

Would it be wrong to undercut the rank 2 helms by putting the helm up for sale at 40K?

In any case, you'll find that a lot of people don't care to constantly relist auctions to get ahead in the queue, they just want a quick sale.

It's evident that the amount of people playing WoW because they think gaming the market is an interesting passtime is limited at best or you'd see a lot more dinosaurs in Oribos.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

There's this common misconception that the lower you post, the faster you sell. And most people are not there to play the ah, they just want to unload their stuff asap and move on.

That said, there are also some who employ heavy undercutting intentionally to either drive off competition or to bring prices low enough so they could flip the goods.

You can do whatever you want lol. You are free to buy it and re-sell = more gold for you.

Sucks when it happens but .. well people as free to do as they please with their items. And not everyone is an AH player set in max profit.

got a problem with undercutting? stop selling overpriced stuff baby...

I just use the AH like a vendor, lol. I just right click all the shit into it, don't even look at prices, I know the AH automatically lists my stuff at the lowest prices and it's the most likely to sell fast without me manually undercutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    There's this common misconception that the lower you post, the faster you sell. And most people are not there to play the ah, they just want to unload their stuff asap and move on.

That said, there are also some who employ heavy undercutting intentionally to either drive off competition or to bring prices low enough so they could flip the goods.
    Sellers will sometimes use predatory pricing (selling items at a loss) to drive competition out of a market space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because when there are 1000 items up for 10000g and they have been that price for a week without moving much then perhaps the price is too high.
    Speciation Is Gradual

10+ Year Old Account
    "It's because the prices are too high"

Prices can't be deemed high if the items are being consistently sold at the price being seen as high.

This is likely one of my top 3 sources of frustration in WoW.

It's seeing an item at a given price, selling a good amount for that price, only to come back 30min or an hour later to see the price drop by 30g or smth.

Like, why?

If the new price sticks, then your price was too high. Crafting using mats from the AH is extremely low effort once more people maxed their skills. So if someone thinks that selling at a lower price would mean more profit in the end, you just have to go with the market. Or do something else to make money.