Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    13 pages and still 0 videos of people killing Bronjahm / Skadi with 50-100 people around and having no lag at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Holy shit no, this is wrong, server DOES NOT do any animations whatsoever and doesn't care about them in the slightest.
    Server only deals with events and raw numbers.

split and merged. If current number of players in a shard is too high, shards can also be combined.
    Anything a character does is handled by the server and that data is transferred to all the clients, it seems you have no clue at all what a server actually does, it handles the enviroment and everything a character does, it transfers relevant data to all the clients so all chars can see what they would see otherwise.

Its a combination of a large amount of aoe effects and too many players in one area that cause all the issues, if the animations played no part in effecting server performance then the servers are in an even worse state if they cant handle more than 25 players in one area without performance issues.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminatrix View Post
    well upgrading your stuff helps everyone around me was complaining about high latency and lag but i had nothing and we were on same server. im not saying it solves the problem im just saying it helps
    Incorrect. none of those parts will affect server lag at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    There is easy way to distinguish server side lags from ISP or computer lags. Simple thing. If it would be ISP or computer lags, I would have them everywhere. But if I have lags in world boss location, but don't have them in other, then may be it's server lags? Or fact, that not everything lags. For example NPCs don't lag, other players running around don't lag. My abilities and looting lags. I.e. only things, that involve DB. It's obvious server problems.
    Not exactly. It could just be 1 node that is causing lag for the ISP. That 1 node might not route you to anything else and just wow. So you would never notice lag elsewhere.

ah nvm. reread what you said. Your only taking about in game "everywhere"
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Anything a character does is handled by the server and that data is transferred to all the clients, it seems you have no clue at all what a server actually does, it handles the enviroment and everything a character does, it transfers relevant data to all the clients so all chars can see what they would see otherwise.

Its a combination of a large amount of aoe effects and too many players in one area that cause all the issues, if the animations played no part in effecting server performance then the servers are in an even worse state if they cant handle more than 25 players in one area without performance issues.
    You seem confused by the definition of things the server has to handle . The server does not display anything graphical at all usually, it does have to distribute the information, but not process them to an actual gameclient.

It might get overwhelmed if lots of things happen at once, but the actual animation means fuck all to the server, it just tells all clients who need to know which animation is supposed to happen.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Well pof coruse there is a problem because you have a ton of people in one place. It's not a server issue, it the issue of your PC having to render all that at one time. I have NEVER had any lag of any kind. WHy? Because when I play there is never more than 20 people at one time. You are playing on a packed realm with a ton of other players and your PC is struggling to render it. Nobody is in denial. We just aren't pointing to something it is not in order to bash Blizzard because we don't have an understanding of how IT works.
    You're still confusing fps lag with client lag.

- - - Updated - - -

Except there is. My realm never has more than maybe 20 people around a rare at one time and I have never experienced any lag of any kind. Also, it would be the height of stupidity to add more servers for what is only going to be happening for a week not to mention a huge waste of money.

If I go my my experience on my realm, all your claims would be false as I would not call this over crowded in any way. You are trying to project your experience on everyone else.
    lol..... irony....

- - - Updated - - -

But the fundamental point stands. YOu have a ton of people in one spot. It's isn't because of server problems. It's because a ton of people are in one spot spamming the same abilities at the same time. I haven't seen that issue. Why? Because we don't have nearly as many people at one mob as you do. So, throwing a temper tantrum and screaming "FIX NOW BLIZZ" is a waste of time.
    That is specifically a server problem.... The server can't handle the amount of people there. They should be making the shards a bit smaller so they CAN handle them.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    You seem confused by the definition of things the server has to handle . The server does not display anything graphical at all usually, it does have to distribute the information, but not process them to an actual gameclient.

It might get overwhelmed if lots of things happen at once, but the actual animation means fuck all to the server, it just tells all clients who need to know which animation is supposed to happen.
    Im saying it handles the data, so when 50 players are spamming everything in the same spot the server handles all that data and transmits it, thats why you can have either no performance issues at all just waiting on a rare but a lagg fest as soon as it spawns.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Nope wrong. Please stop, you clearly have no idea how wow servers work. Client does handle all the animations themselves, server only handles events such as spell casting start, finish, start moving, stop moving (position, rotation), emotes and such.

WOW servers dont handle animations!

type /etrace in game and you will see what i am talking about.

Animations only affect graphic card performance. Stop spreading nonsense.

And wow servers can easily handle 80+ players in same area and about 1000+ in same zone (probably even more with max shards assigned).
    I played asharan when in wod, no lags at all. I did all the world bosses in BfA (when people were swarming to them), no lags at all. 8.1 no lags, mechagon & nazjatar no lags (even in pvp events), i farmed my assassin achievement by playing in some gigantic wpvp battles.
    8.3 invasions day one - no lags at all.

People who complain about lags should also state if they are EU or US because I think US servers might be actually crap (or networking sucks in US).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Nope wrong. Please stop, you clearly have no idea how wow servers work. Client does handle all the animations themselves, server only handles events such as spell casting start, finish, start moving, stop moving (position, rotation), emotes and such.

WOW servers dont handle animations!

type /etrace in game and you will see what i am talking about.

Animations only affect graphic card performance. Stop spreading nonsense.

And wow servers can easily handle 80+ players in same area and about 1000+ in same zone (probably even more with max shards assigned).
    I played asharan when in wod, no lags at all. I did all the world bosses in BfA (when people were swarming to them), no lags at all. 8.1 no lags, mechagon & nazjatar no lags (even in pvp events), i farmed my assassin achievement by playing in some gigantic wpvp battles.
    8.3 invasions day one - no lags at all.

People who complain about lags should also state if they are EU or US because I think US servers might be actually crap (or networking sucks in US).

This could be a factor too. I'm from the US and get lag spikes during crowded events.

Blizz uses phasing for everything except when it's really needed
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by Melliodas View Post
    Yeah I also experienced it.

Lag and FPS-drops are a different thing by the way, it doesnt seem like many know the difference judging the first reply.
    Judging by the first post, you mean.

- - - Updated - - -

Except there is. My realm never has more than maybe 20 people around a rare at one time and I have never experienced any lag of any kind. Also, it would be the height of stupidity to add more servers for what is only going to be happening for a week not to mention a huge waste of money.

If I go my my experience on my realm, all your claims would be false as I would not call this over crowded in any way. You are trying to project your experience on everyone else.
    Your specific realm has almost nothing to do with how many people are sharing a shard with you unless you're on an rp realm.

How can you claim someone else's experience is false when you cant even figure out your own experience?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melliodas View Post
    Youre calling out the guy for one thing while proceeding to do the same thing yourself, yes thats being a hypocrite.

I even bolded the parts to make it more clear to you.
    This is fucking painful, and he clearly tried his best, so let me explain it for you. He isn't projecting his experience on anyone else.

The person he replied to said, and I quote,

There is no such thing, as "not packed realm" now.
    That person was projecting *their* experience on everyone else, and he was responding, in turn, by saying, essentially - "that's not true, I never see more than 20 on my server", and further explained that if he did the same thing as the person he replied to, he'd be implying that every realm is empty - again, because that person was implying "every realm must be packed due to sharding!"

Hope that helps. The rest (regarding his wrong thoughts on lag being due to PC rendering) is irrelevant.

This entire thread is a horrible amalgam of people constantly feeding everyone else's misconceptions lmao

Regardless, this lag is relatively commonplace. I have more than adequate hardware and a fiber connection in a major metropolitan city in the US and have sub-20 ping in game (I play on Proudmoore, a mega server that doesn't even shard in Icecrown as far as I can tell, I've never seen anyone outside of Proudmoore there). The servers can't handle it when there's 300 people in an area smacking Bronjahm.

I do wonder if it is a disparity between EU and US infrastructure, and also just some realms don't shard as heavily as others. Everyone I talk to in my guild notices the same lag (not FPS lag, you dopes) but clear delays.
    Last edited by Kaneiac; 2020-11-18 at 10:31 PM.

Some stuff makes the lag worse. Uncapped aoe heals (or very high cap?), like healing tide totem really do a number. Today a Skadi kill (which is already laggy from all the people that want the mount) became essentially unplayable when at least two shammies decided to drop healing tides at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's definitely a server problem .the whole zone will lag in naz and anywhere else there's a outdoor raid boss being attacked by more than one raid. a particlar problem with the pandaland one given its ability to kill players even when lag is minimal.

The amount of brainlets in this thread that think server lag has anything to do with PC specs is astounding.

My PC is probably worth more than some of your vehicles and the rares were unplayable on the first day.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post

My PC is probably worth more than some of your vehicles.
    you leave Ol' Bessy out of this! shes a good girl!

more on topic, just to repeat what has been said multiple times since people still seem confused.... fps is not the same as lag. im running 90+ fps during fights and still have a 1-3 second delay on spells.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    They handle them a hell of a lot better than they used to. I'll take some lag over the server deciding to take a nap because the Horde decided to kill Magni.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    My PC is probably worth more than some of your vehicles
    I'd believe it my PC is probably worth more than my own vehicle...

Just would like to point out that Ardenweald is basically unplayable on all shards I tried due to massive world lag (worldboss active right now).
    So yeah. Lessons not learned I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Just would like to point out that Ardenweald is basically unplayable on all shards I tried due to massive world lag (worldboss active right now).
    At least the zones are on different servers this time and the rest doesn't lag, but what other lessons is there to learn? The 20 year old engine is a joke.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    I don't get why it is only Ardenweald. all the other zones are fine

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I don't get why it is only Ardenweald. all the other zones are fine
    Madraxxus is screwed as well.

Ardenweald has World Boss up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.