Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Anyone else planning to just roll with fun-to-play talents for TBC?

If we've learned anything from Classic, it's probably that the content is incredibly easy for modern day players. Same will likely go for TBC, even with its pre-nerfed content. TBC will be a bigger challenge but I think we can still expect casual guilds to steamroll through it without problems.

So I've been thinking about what class/spec/build to go with for TBC and as a semi-casual I've come to the conclusion I'm just gonna pick one that is fun to play. Right now I'm leaning towards going full destro Warlock with Shadowfury, because it is just that, a ton of fun, unlike its optimal specs for PvE or PvP. I will welcome the challenge of playing sub-optimally as well.

Will you like me just go with fun spec/builds or will you aim for the optimal ones? I suppose it all depends on how hardcore you intend to be.

Since pve content will be facerolled it doesnt really matter unless u go play with a guild of speedrunners. However if u plan to climb on arena ladder ur probably gonna suck ass mate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, will continue my Hunter and continue to play Marksmanship both for PvE and PvP, cause it's my all time favorite specc in the game

I've gone suboptimal specs this whole time tbh. And I will likely do the same for tbc. Likely go resto druid but with a pvpish pveish spec so I don't have to reroll everytime I want to do something different. Honestly don't care at all if I am not the best of the best at any one thing. Might respec if I plan on doing a ton of arenas just because I genuinely do enjoy the best pvp spec for resto.

Content is easier but players min/max more than ever now. Never heard of people spending 20 hours of farming consumables every week on retail.

No, TBC will have no "fun" in it.

That's what i always do and always have done - I play how the hell I want since I started playing in BC. I play the same way in Classic and Retail and always will.

TBC encounters are a bit more advanced but we know the fights so in general the same, I plan on doing a ret paladin and enhancement shaman tank (which is more viable than in Classic because of shamanistic rage) so just pick what you want I say.

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    Self fulfilling prophecy.

Never heard of people spending 20 hours of farming consumables every week on retail.
    Never heard of that in Classic either so no idea what your point is. I raid every time with full consumables (No flask) and all necessary protection pots and I make enough gold for that with only 2x Transmute Undeath -> Water every day. So that's around 5-10 minutes of "farming consumables" every week.

Nice try though.

15+ Year Old Account
    At best TBC farming took 30-60 minutes pre-raid.

I hated having specs that people would only let you run one tier behind because it wasn’t “optimal”.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by zoddzero View Post
    If we've learned anything from Classic, it's probably that the content is incredibly easy for modern day players. Same will likely go for TBC, even with its pre-nerfed content. TBC will be a bigger challenge but I think we can still expect casual guilds to steamroll through it without problems.

So I've been thinking about what class/spec/build to go with for TBC and as a semi-casual I've come to the conclusion I'm just gonna pick one that is fun to play. Right now I'm leaning towards going full destro Warlock with Shadowfury, because it is just that, a ton of fun, unlike its optimal specs for PvE or PvP. I will welcome the challenge of playing sub-optimally as well.

Will you like me just go with fun spec/builds or will you aim for the optimal ones? I suppose it all depends on how hardcore you intend to be.
    61 point Arcane mage was a load of fun and plan on doing it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Content is easier but players min/max more than ever now. Never heard of people spending 20 hours of farming consumables every week on retail.

Nobody who isn't trash farms that much for raid consumes.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Nope. I really don't see the point in not using the best talent setup. Thankfully I play with like minded people as well.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like that's the only way really to enjoy Classic expansions. If you just min/max it you'll play for a week when raids drop then leave.

Plus that's the whole point of having talent trees instead of talent rows, customization.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

The cool thing about wow talents (in any expansion tbh) is you really have to go out of your way to throw yourself in the dumpster, like specing 0/0/0 is the only way. Just using up all of your talent points is going to be good enough if your goal isn't to minmax. Therefore, specing for fun is actually the most optimal way to play.

What we have learned from Classic is that we won't get the original game but a nerfed version of it. In that regard i'm pretty confident it doesn't matter what talents you pick in terms of your raid performance. People run raids naked, without any gear in Classic, in a game that is all about getting gear. You really think your talents will make any difference in TBC (if that will ever come)?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deniter View Post
    What we have learned from Classic is that we won't get the original game but a nerfed version of it.
    Not necessarily true for TBC.

Blizzard lost all data prior to patch 1.12 so that was their only option for Classic. They have all of the Burning Crusade data, so they could make it 100% progressive if they wanted, right down to every single bug and talent change throughout the entire expansion.

I'm not saying they'll go that far, but if they've learned anything from Classic then they'll at least do something smarter than giving us 2.4.3 from Day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by konway View Post
    Not necessarily true for TBC.

Blizzard lost all data prior to patch 1.12 so that was their only option for Classic. They have all of the Burning Crusade data, so they could make it 100% progressive if they wanted, right down to every single bug and talent change throughout the entire expansion.

I'm not saying they'll go that far, but if they've learned anything from Classic then they'll at least do something smarter than giving us 2.4.3 from Day 1.
    I really, really hope that will be the case. I'm not holding my breath, though.

I'm just looking forward to actually using deep prot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deniter View Post
    What we have learned from Classic is that we won't get the original game but a nerfed version of it. In that regard i'm pretty confident it doesn't matter what talents you pick in terms of your raid performance. People run raids naked, without any gear in Classic, in a game that is all about getting gear. You really think your talents will make any difference in TBC (if that will ever come)?
    As konway mentioned, Classic running on 1.12 from the get-go was partly a matter of necessity, since they couldn't salvage any data from 1.11 and earlier (and I have suspicious but can't confirm, they relied heavily on the Nostalrius developers to help them with the old itemizations for dungeon and raid drops prior to the buffs they got late in Vanilla due to aforementioned lost data).

What I think they'll do for TBC is run it on a 2.4 client, but with each phase rolling out talent changes and class balancing from the associated patch, unless they intend to rebalance everything to maintain the spirit of the progression ladder but without the schizophrenic class balancing due to Arena growing pains (some classes wildly pendulumed throughout TBC until 2.4.3). Either would not be a terrible idea, and in both cases they have the data for those earlier versions so they can tune accordingly, either to preserve the challenge with 2.4 talents or to maintain a controlled rollout of class design per patch with each phase.

edit, unrelated to the above: To answer the OP, it depends on whether I end up getting the itch to give the TBC raid ladder another try or if I'll just stick to Heroics and battlegrounds. I don't want to run the risk of burning out as badly as I did the first time around, which took a long time for me to get over enough to try raiding with any seriousness again, because my guild got stuck in t4 due to my server's rampant poaching problem. I didn't see the point in trying to stay on top of my game anymore and took a much more casual approach to the game. If I end up in a guild that can get over the Kara/Mag/Gruul's hurdle and field 25 people on a regular basis, I might be more serious in my build choices, otherwise I'll stick to some of the off-beat builds I ran back in the day that were specially built around performance in dungeons with lots of trash packs and fewer mechanics to worry about.
    Last edited by Thage; 2020-12-11 at 06:04 PM.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!