10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator4321 View Post
    Not really a way, even if it's given pet AI and made semi-independent, Pet AI isn't smart enough to preform Tanking mechanics on it's own and would require constant repositioning, and you can't exactly tune the AI to know/preform the mechanics on it's own.

Only "tinker tank" i can imagine is a mech based tank and that would be mechanically too similar to Guardian druids (caster/ranged form and a tanking form, with the tanking form giving more stats/new abilities), i suppose you could make it less freely able to move between forms (no instant switching) but druids are built around the concept of switching forms and have things like affinity talents to allow off roles (caster form healing, moonkin ranged dps, feral melee dps) not sure what the hypothetical Tinker caster form could do maybe D'VA esque where they become a weaker version of themselves if they're mech is destroyed/self destructed and can still tank but only on the level of a offtank until they get their mech form back. although that wouldn't work well since if a normal tank dies they can be combat rezzed and return to normal tanking, if this hypothetical tinker gets brought out of their mech and dies they can't combat rezzed back to full strength.

I suppose it could just be that combat rezzing resets the cooldown on a call mech ability but that would create the issue of Tinker Tanks deliberately dying to get combat rezzed back to full strength instead of engaging with whatever mechanics would allow them to get their mech back in their own kits.
    Well I'd imagine it would be like the Druid class when they're killed and when rezzed have to switch back into Bear or Cat form again. So if a Tinker is killed, they're rezzed back in caster form, and have to re-summon their mech.

I've considered the D.Va-style Tinker tank before, even to the point where a self destruct ability could be used as an AoE ability by the Tinker. I think the problem emerges when it comes to survivability of the Tinker tank outside of the mech, and how the Tinker resummons the Mech when the mech gets destroyed by the boss and not the Tinker. You could allow the Tinker to "bank" additional mechs just like D.va does in order to make self destruct into a viable AoE attack. However, the Tinker needs to be penalized for losing the mech if it gets destroyed.

For that, Self Destruct would have to have a very long cooldown. Like 10-15 minutes long.

The Tinker if blown out of the mech, would need their HP slashed in either 1/3 to 1/2 life, but should have a couple of abilities to survive, and to continue to be able to tank (at a much lesser degree). I don't think a destroyed mech should use the same cooldown as Self destruct, and a Tinker would need to have a cooldown before they can summon the mech again. In Overwatch, D.Va killing heroes reduces that cooldown time. A similar mechanic could be utilized for a Tinker. I should stress again though that a Tinker tank out of their mech should be squishy, and not capable of tanking for long periods of time.

A skilled player could theoretically never get killed if they play properly, but that's kind of true of any tanking class I suppose.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    The point? You brought up a problem that you have lag. I offered a solution.

I mean I could also say get a new computer? This doesn't really have anything to do with it being less attractive if your problem is your computer can't handle the effects that Warcraft already uses for raids and world PVP. 12 Death Knights all popping Army at the same time also lags the game, and I've seen it first hand in Wrath on the Kologarn fight. It was co-ordinated for everyone to pop it and it got so laggy that it was insta-wipe, and everyone laughed it off. Since then WoW has incorporated tech that limits what is displayed on screen for instances like this. It's a non issue.
    I'm just pointing out that there's a reason Warlocks and Death Knights have highly limited numbers of summons on screen at a time, and in most cases it's just projectiles that resemble creatures.

And what does Death Knight swarm intensity have to do with anything? I don't follow. The Blight spec wouldn't need tons of minions, I didn't propose it as the minion spec. In my mind, all specs of a Necromancer would have skeleton summoning, but the specs would specialize in different aspects of damage dealing. Blight specializes in spreading plague, specialized plague/poison minions like oozes, constructs and spiders, and using it to zone.

Just like the DK doesn't have minions in every spec. They only really have minions in Unholy spec. The Necromancer would be somewhat of the inverse where their Unholy spec would be based on plagues and DoTs with minions as utility and support while a Shadowfrost or an Anima/Blood spec could focus more on the minion style gameplay.
    Frost DKs summon Frost Wyrms, Blood DKs summon Bloodworms and a Ghost blade, and Unholy summons a wide variety of stuff.

What does the DK have to with anything..... The DK's lore is also based within the scourge, so all of these concepts are just as applicable to the Death Knight as they would be to any Necromancer. They're the same faction, and Death Knights are actually LEADERS within that faction. I mean, Blight, Plague, Oozes, etc. are all things currently (or previously) found in the DK Unholy spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Gameplay and lore differ. Druidic magic, nature magic, and poisons are vastly different than one-another in the lore, and yet they are all under the same "nature damage type" mechanic. Void magic, fel magic and necromancy are also vastly different than one-another in the lore, and yet they are all under the same "shadow damage type" mechanic.
    Plague, Poison, Disease when translated into gameplay terms all become Damage over Time or Debuff based gameplay, a Poison Necromancer would have to be different in gameplay from a Affliction Warlock, Shadow Priest and Unholy Death Knight because simply being a venomancer/poisoncaster doesn't nessessarily bring a unique form of gameplay just by being visually or thematically different.

That argument of mine is against the claim that themes, on their own, bring "unique gameplay". I.e. gameplay that cannot be replicated by any other theme. Also, I never argued that themes or even 'gameplay archetypes' have to be 100% unique. Hunters, for example, have the "multi-minions" archetype that is shared by warlocks and death knights. Priests share the "ranged, dot-based caster" that the warlocks have. Monks, rogue and death knights share the "agile fighter" archetype.
    Like i said the Venomancer/Poisoncaster spec isn't automatically unviable so long as it's made different from the other damage over time based classes we currently have they can share the gameplay attribute/niche of being damage over time but just simply having a different visual/theme (poison) doesn't mean they'll have a unique gameplay from those other DoT specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Ta Da! an Apothecary specialization within an Alchemist class. now, everyone can be happy.
    Nah. An Alchemy spec is better served as a healing spec utilizing concepts from the WC3 hero. Much more interesting, and not a retread of what we already have in the DK class.

Example;

Instead of riding on mechs, the Alchemist healing spec would ride on Orgres/Hobgoblins.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2020-12-03 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I'm just pointing out that there's a reason Warlocks and Death Knights have highly limited numbers of summons on screen at a time, and in most cases it's just projectiles that resemble creatures.
    To be honest that's exactly how I see it played out for Necromancer.

The actual minions would be fairly limited. Oozes and spiders are just animated projectiles and DoT's in graphical form, much like DK's gargoyle or Warlock's imps. Skeletons would work like your typical Guardian type pet, like Treants or Army of the Dead Ghouls.

This is pretty much how any minion gameplay will end up working in WoW, due to the limitations of being an MMORPG with no skill shots, no minion collision and very limited control over pets.

What does the DK have to with anything..... The DK's lore is also based within the scourge, so all of these concepts are just as applicable to the Death Knight as they would be to any Necromancer. They're the same faction, and Death Knights are actually LEADERS within that faction. I mean, Blight, Plague, Oozes, etc. are all things currently (or previously) found in the DK Unholy spec.
    Sure, that's fine. Warlocks and Demon Hunters both have lore based on the Burning Legion, where every demon we know is from.

Again, I ask you, what is the problem? Just because it is applicable to Death Knights doesn't really mean anything. Frost is applicable to Mages too and DK's still have it. Holy is shared by two classes in the exact same way, using the exact same methods. What is the problem?
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-12-03 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator4321 View Post
    Plague, Poison, Disease when translated into gameplay terms all become Damage over Time or Debuff based gameplay, a Poison Necromancer would have to be different in gameplay from a Affliction Warlock, Shadow Priest and Unholy Death Knight because simply being a venomancer/poisoncaster doesn't nessessarily bring a unique form of gameplay just by being visually or thematically different.
    Well, yes. I have a concept of a necromancer with a poison spec in my sig. I think I made the rough gameplay concept sufficiently different from the warlock, priest and death knight.

Like i said the Venomancer/Poisoncaster spec isn't automatically unviable so long as it's made different from the other damage over time based classes we currently have they can share the gameplay attribute/niche of being damage over time but just simply having a different visual/theme (poison) doesn't mean they'll have a unique gameplay from those other DoT specs.
    I know. The whole contention here is Teriz saying that death knights have access to nature magic, because two of their abilities happen to also deal nature damage because they deal plague damage, and how, in his mind, a necromancer must be "frost, unholy and blood" specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, that's fine. Warlocks and Demon Hunters both have lore based on the Burning Legion, where every demon we know is from.
    Yeah, but neither were a part of the Burning Legion, and both have their own agendas. Necromancers and DKs worked together within the Scourge.

Again, I ask you, what is the problem? You seem to think that just because one has Scourge themes suddenly no one else can. Well even the Forsaken have scourge themes within their entire race and have Aboms amongst their ranks, I don't think anyone really cares here.
    Forsaken are a race. You're talking about adding a class which has the same theme as an existing class and doing the same thing the existing class does, just cranked up to a much higher level. There's a difference between Aboms being used as guards in Undercity, and Blizzard making a Necromancer class that summons Abominations alongside Death Knights that also summon Abominations. The only way you're going to have a Necromancer class that summons undead minions is if Blizzard nukes the Unholy spec and makes DKs unable to summon large varieties of minions. Given this strong desire for oozes and plagues, you're probably going to have to remove diseases as well.

In the end though, you're just going to have a reskinned Warlock.

Wardens use the Mage's spell Blink, not the Rogue's Shadowstep. The Warden's Avatar of Vengeance Creates a powerful avatar that summons invulnerable spirits from friendly corpses to attack your enemies. The Avatar casts Spirit of Vengeance, which raises an invulnerable feral spirit from the corpses of fallen units. do Rogues also use Vault of the Wardens (Leap into the air, becoming immune to all hostile effects)? do Rogues use Umbral Bind (tethering an enemy and pulling it towards the warden if it moves too far)? do Rogues use Containment Disc (throwing a glaive)? do Rogues use Warden's cage (cages an enemy)? do Rogues use Shadow Orb: Vengeance/Huntress/Shadow Strike? do Rogues wield Umbral Crescents? are Rogues described as jailers, seeking out justice, hunting down criminals and imprisoning them?

Mechanically Shadowstep is still a a blink (a targeted one but still a blink), Maiev when she became a Heroes of the Storm character also didn't get the same type of blink she had in WC3 because Zeratul already essentially had the wardens kit from WC3 and she needed to be distinct, a Warden class would face a similar dilemma since Blink now belongs to mages. translating MOBA and RTS abilities into an MMO (entirely different perspective/gameplay) is also not something that would happen on a 1:1 basis. Death Knights in WC3 had Animate Dead which raised units as invulnerable minions under the DK's control it got translated into a WoW ability as both army of the dead which create multiple minions and raise ally which didn't turn them into invulnerable minions but still brought an ally back to life as a combat rez. Spirit of Vengeance and Secret Technique both create shadow clones and while they do preform different functions theres no evidence that Spirit of Vengeance would be translated 1:1 from it's WC3 incarnation to a WoW incarnation (and since other WC3 abilities were changed in the transition to WoW they probably wouldn't be translated 1:1)

Let assassination and subtlety rogues use warglaives, add a warden style glaive to the warglaive transmogs, add a cosmetic warden armor set transmog and play a night elf Subtlety/Assassination rogue with all those options and you'd have a Warden both in gameplay and visuals.

Rogues in the warcraft universe are not inherently criminals, SI7 and the Shattered Hand (new horde version not the original orc clan) are non-criminal organizations that are staffed by rogue (as in the class) and serve as spys and agents. Warden's play a similar role in Night Elf society as secret police, jailors and marshals.

Are Hunters using Necromancy? do Hunters use Life Drain (draining the life of their targets)? do Hunters use Charm/Mind Control (taking control of an enemy)? do Hunters use shadowy daggers? Sylvanas is not the only one to use abilities associated with Banshees. Wailing Arrow, a shot imbued with a Banshee's wail, is used by several Dark Ranger NPCs.

That's why i suggest adding Tyrande's Priestess of the Moon, as well, alongside the Dark Ranger and Sea Witch.
    As I said an NPC showing unique abilities outside the norm for their class is not the basis for an entire class, why do Dark Rangers show up as members of the Hunter Class Hall if they aren't considered Hunters, Anduin is still a priest even though he uses stuff from outside his supposed class, thrall was a shaman despite wearing plate, Tidesages cannot be accurately matched in full abilities by any class.

Attaching 2 unrelated concepts the Dark Ranger only shows how barren and narrow a concept they are as a entire class that you had to force two completely unrelated concepts just to give them 3 specs.

Saying there's nothing unique about them is like saying Demon Hunters are just Rogues with a Warlock's Metamorphosis, and therefore, should never have been added to the game - as they offer nothing new that the Rogue or Warlock didn't already offer in gameplay and thematics.

Saying there won't be another class is the redundant thing. you really think Blizzard will just give up on their most sellable feature of an expansion? There are missing archetypes, most notably the Tinker and Alchemist. as well as the Shadow Hunter, Blademaster, Warden, Dark Ranger/Priestess of the Moon/Sea Witch.
    Demon Hunters were given a distinct gameplay niche from rogues and warlocks in the form of their vertical mobility (double jump, glide) low cooldown burst mobility (infernal strike, fel rush), disengage (vengful retreat) and sustain (soul orbs) that made them distinct from Rogues and Warlocks who they took traits (agile melee and fel magic) and abilities (metamorphosis) from and offered something new that couldn't nessessarily be added to warlocks or rogues, i don't particularly think they should have been a class in of themselves but can at least see some unique aspects to demon hunter gameplay that doesn't exist in other classes.

There may be new classes but if they are added they will be healthy additions to the game instead of whatever concept happens to be the recent obsession of fans because if they just added every concept fans propose the game would quickly become a bloated mess of redundant and superfluousclasses which majority of those classes you proposed would be because they already exist just not the way that 100% matches your fantasy.
    Last edited by Imperator4321; 2020-12-03 at 01:26 AM.

Necromancers and DKs worked together within the Scourge.
    We just got new lore that the Cult of the Damned has allied with the Jailer. The Ebon Hand doesn't have any direct connection to him or his forces any more.

Beyond that, there's plenty of Necromancers in the world that aren't tied to the scourge. Blood Trolls of Nazmir, Soulbinders of Auchindoun, Necrolytes of Shadowmoon - all examples different sources of Necromancers.

You're talking about adding a class which has the same theme as an existing class and doing the same thing the existing class does
    If DK's had a healing spec and were Ranged DPS, then sure, you might have a stronger argument. But you're comparing melee to ranged spellcaster and saying it's the same thing. That makes no sense.

Why would a melee class be doing the same thing as a ranged spellcaster/healer? This is the whole basis of why we can have Warlocks and Demon Hunters and Paladins and Priests.

Even if the roles overlap, we already have Monks and Shamans showing that having different methods of fighting is enough to create a gap to explore. The only difference in their lore is literally the use of martial arts, otherwise Monks are the Pandaren versions of Shamans.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-12-03 at 12:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We just got new lore that the Cult of the Damned has allied with the Jailer. The Ebon Hand doesn't have any direct connection to him or his forces any more.

Beyond that, there's plenty of Necromancers in the world that aren't tied to the scourge. Blood Trolls of Nazmir, Soulbinders of Auchindoun, Necrolytes of Shadowmoon - all examples different sources of Necromancers.
    And all necromancy still falls under the three pillars of Necromancy, which Death Knights already cover.

If DK's had a healing spec and were Ranged DPS, then sure, you might have a stronger argument. But you're comparing melee to ranged spellcaster and saying it's the same thing. That makes no sense.

Why would a melee class be doing the same thing as a ranged spellcaster/healer? This is the whole basis of why we can have Warlocks and Demon Hunters and Paladins and Priests.
    You’re confusing range differences with thematic differences. Those classes aren’t separate because of their ranges, they’re separate because of their themes. Again, the difference between a Necromancer and a DK is no different than an Enhance and Elemental Shaman; The exact same magic at different ranges.

Even if the roles overlap, we already have Monks and Shamans showing that having different methods of fighting is enough to create a gap to explore. The only difference in their lore is literally the use of martial arts, otherwise Monks are the Pandaren versions of Shamans.
    Martial Arts is a very big thematic difference.

And all necromancy still falls under the three pillars of Necromancy, which Death Knights already cover.
    That's great and all but there isn't really any such thing as 'pillars of Necromancy'.

Death Knights can cover all of shadow magic if they'd like, but they aren't spellcasters and wouldn't be anything similar to a spellcaster in the game.

They are confined to Melee roles and Melee gameplay.

You’re confusing range differences with thematic differences. Those classes aren’t separate because of their ranges, they’re separate because of their themes. Again, the difference between a Necromancer and a DK is no different than an Enhance and Elemental Shaman; The exact same magic at different ranges.
    Multiple classes can use the exact same magic at different ranges. We have that with Warlocks and DH, or Priests and Paladins. How are these themed differently?

Do you not acknowledge that Paladins and Priests both use Holy magic?

This isn't a case where we're talking about one class able to do multiple roles that is already defined by gameplay. The DK is structured specifically as a Melee class. It's not a ranged class, and it has no built in infrastructure to accomodate ranged whatsoever. The difference in thematics is that a DK is a plate-wearing Runeblade-wielding melee fighter whereas a Necromancer is a spellcaster. This is the reason why Kel'thuzad is not just a variation of a Death Knight.

Martial Arts is a very big thematic difference.
    Sure, and so is the use of Alchemy, the ascension into Lichdom and the application of Blood//Anima/Life essence as a formal healing spec. There are very big themes here that aren't covered by the DK, because they are in the realm of Liches and Necromancers. DK's only channel Necromancy through their Runeblades and use the magic as a means to an end, for the Necromancer, mastering the art of Undeath is their ultimate goal in life (and in death).

If the Death Knight covering those themes were all that important then Kel'thuzad could have simply been called a Death Knight. I don't think anyone would consider this just because DK's happen to use Frost and Shadow magic.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-12-03 at 01:40 AM.

This "three pillars of necromancy" exist nowhere in the lore. Only in your head.

And even if it did: the "pillar of holy magic" is the Light, which is 100% shared between paladins and priests.

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    calia is also massively hated and she also makes no sense.
    Right? The reason why she was able to be rezed was her body miraculously didn’t decomposed by the time her body was dragged back to netherlight temple. Then Saa’ra was like, let’s try something new an made 2 priest rez her. At least that what i got from the wiki.

By this logic, all PC are, and had have been, lightforged undead since wrath of the lich king.
    Last edited by Usernameforforums; 2020-12-03 at 01:47 AM.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

10+ Year Old Account
    That's great and all but covering a pillar doesn't mean they do the same things.

Death Knights can cover all of shadow magic if they'd like, but they aren't spellcasters and wouldn't be anything similar to a spellcaster in the game.

They are confined to Melee roles and Melee gameplay.
    Except they are spell casters, since they have multiple spells. Simply because they fight in melee and mid range doesn't mean they're not spell casters.

Multiple classes can use the exact same magic at different ranges. We have that with Warlocks and DH, or Priests and Paladins. How are these themed differently?
    Again this is a nonsense comparison. Priests have no DPS holy specs, their DPS specs are only Shadow. Paladins don't have a Shadow spec. Demon Hunters are pretty much pure melee fighters without pets while Warlocks are pure ranged fighters with pets.

Death Knights are hybrid fighters loaded with spells and melee abilities, and they can use a wide variety of pets. Necromancers would more than likely be pure ranged fighters and also use a wide variety of pets. To make this more problematic, the specs would be highly similar thematically since again we're revolving around the three pillars of necromancy.

Do you not acknowledge that Paladins and Priests both use Holy magic?
    I've explained this numerous times, I think it's time for a graphic.

Holy Magic, Shadow magic

Paladin specs:
    II II II

Priest Specs:
    II II II

I hope that helps.

Sure, and so is the use of Alchemy, the ascension into Lichdom and the application of Blood//Anima/Life essence as a formal healing spec. There are very big themes here that aren't covered by the DK, because they are in the realm of Liches and Necromancers.
    Frost DK covers Lichdom entirely. Alchemy really makes no sense in a magic-based class, and again Alchemy was used by the scourge to make plagues, something DKs cover extensively.

If it weren't that important then Kel'thuzad could have simply been called a Death Knight.
    He's Lich. The thing about Lich's is that once they ascend to lichdom, they can't turn back. Also Frost DKs are directly trained by a Lich, and is their servant.

Except they are spell casters, since they have multiple spells. Simply because they fight in melee and mid range doesn't mean they're not spell casters.
    Death Knights are masters of using Blades too, so would you consider them Blademasters?

Death Knights don't actually cast any spells. All of their magic is channeled through their Runeblades, and they use Runic Power to use magic. They are using enchanted weapons, and that's how the lore has explained their use of magic. Everything is through the runeblade.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-12-03 at 01:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This "three pillars of necromancy" exist nowhere in the lore. Only in your head.

And even if it did: the "pillar of holy magic" is the Light, which is 100% shared between paladins and priests.
    Sorry, there's 5, not 3.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Necromancer

Necromancers are practitioners of necromancy (also called the dark arts[2][3] or the black arts)[4] the study and use of magic to

1. raise and control the dead.

Necromantic magic (or death magic) has many functions beyond simply raising the dead. Masters of this tainted field of magic can

2. conjure festering diseases,

3.harness the shadows into bolts of incendiary energy, and

4.chill the living with the power of death.

Necromancy can also be used to

5.reconstruct the flesh of undead creatures, allowing them to function again even after the foul monsters have been destroyed.[6]

Necromancers are the enemies of life itself, and all hands are raised against them. Some of the worst evils in Azeroth's history have been perpetrated by necromancers, and they deserve their malevolent reputation. Few things are as abhorrent and horrifying as necromancy.[5]
    DKs cover all of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Death Knights are masters of using Blades too, so would you consider them Blademasters?

Some Death Knights hunt Demons as well, so would you consider they are also Demon Hunters?

Heck, let's even take one further. What would you call a Forsaken Warrior that is mounted on a Horse? A Death Knight!
    Sorry, I have no desire to play semantic games.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2020-12-03 at 01:47 AM.

Sorry, I have no desire to play semantic games.
    But that's what you're playing at.

The DK's power comes from their runeblade. Necromancers don't use Runeblades. There's a fundamental difference between these two core identities.

In the dk starting zone you’re basically told that for 3rd gen dk’s to use their magic they need a runeblade, otherwise all they got is their super strength.

“ The runeblade is an extension of your being. A death knight cannot battle without a runeblade.

This goes against the idea that they are 'spellcasters'. If this were so then there's no need to state that a Death Knight cannot battle without a Runeblade, they could just go arms-less and sling spells all they wanted. Lore says otherwise.

They've even reinforced this idea through a bunch of new animations added to the game where DK's actually use their abilities while wielding their weapons, instead of the typical unarmed spellcasting that Mages do.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-12-03 at 02:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that's what you're playing at.
    Uh no. I said that the DK is a spell caster because it uses spells. "Spellcaster" is not a class like Blademaster, Demon Hunter, etc.

The DK's power comes from their runeblade. Necromancers don't use Runeblades. There's a fundamental difference between these two core identities.
    So what? DK's still use necromancy which makes them necromancers.

In the dk starting zone you’re basically told that for 3rd gen dk’s to use their magic they need a runeblade, otherwise all they got is their super strength.

“ The runeblade is an extension of your being. A death knight cannot battle without a runeblade.
    This goes against the idea that they are 'spellcasters'. If this were so then there's no need to state that a Death Knight cannot battle without a Runeblade, they could just go arms-less and sling spells all they wanted. Lore says otherwise.
    Except I can perform several necromantic spells without having a weapon equipped, so that's irrelevant.

Uh no. I said that the DK is a spell caster because it uses spells. "Spellcaster" is not a class like Blademaster, Demon Hunter, etc.

So what? DK's still use necromancy which makes them Necromancers.
    I thought you said you weren't playing semantic games?

If your logic of 'he uses necromancy makes him a Necromancer' then 'he masters blades makes him a Blademaster' and 'he hunts demons makes him a Demon Hunter'. I mean, what is the difference? You're associating the DK to other classes simply based on name and function, rather than addressing identity.

If you ask what the difference is between a Necromancer and a DK, then a Necromancer doesn't source its power through a Runeblade. They master the art of Necromancy through ritual knowledge.

Except I can perform several necromantic spells without having a weapon equipped, so that's irrelevant.
    Not in lore they wouldn't. In the lore a Death Knight would be sourcing all their magic through a Runeblade.

A Necromancer doesn't use Runeblades.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-12-03 at 02:12 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Once again you show that you cant tell difference between LORE and GAMEPLAY , you want Blizz be babysiter and type on each skill "can't be used without runeblade"? you are such nitpicking child , why do i even take you seriously .
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought you said you weren't playing semantic games?

If your logic of 'he uses necromancy makes him a Necromancer' then 'he masters blades makes him a Blademaster' and 'he hunts demons makes him a Demon Hunter'. I mean, what is the difference? You're associating the DK to other classes simply based on name and function, rather than addressing identity.
    Nope, because those titles have specific abilities attached to them. Death Knights have the skills and abilities of the Necromancer.

Not in lore they wouldn't. In the lore a Death Knight would be sourcing all their magic through a Runeblade.

A Necromancer doesn't use Runeblades.
    Gameplay overrides lore. Case in point, the lore behind Warlocks getting metamorphosis getting completely ignored and forgotten so that Demon Hunters could enter WoW.