Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Warlocks got that ability in WotLK. Death Knights ALWAYS had Necromancer abilities. Even in WC3.

Which isn’t the same situation as what we’re talking about here. Necromancy being an integral part of the DK class’ design is a purposeful design decision by Blizzard. A design decision they reinforced in Shadowlands by giving DKs additional Necromancer-style abilities.

So the point is that Blizzard doesn’t view ranged, frail spell-casting as essential to the Necromancer concept. To Blizzard the Necromancer can be a tough melee fighter as well.

4. link it because AFAIK we also have 2 classes that cover holy magic completely

Yes, that was the first demonic expansion. We got Demon Hunters in the second demonic expansion. The first death expansion gave us DKs.

The second death expansion gave us DKs with expanded lore and more Necromancer-style abilities.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn’t need to be 5 specs. If the go the route of using Chromatic drakes, it could be 3 specs with each spec merging 2 flights into one. For example, a spec that merged the abilities of the blue and bronze dragon flight, a spec that merges the powers of the red and green dragon flight, and a twilight dragon flight spec that takes the place of black.

In addition, offshoots like Netherstorm and Twilight could be utilized in the place of the traditional 5 flights, or Blizzard could simply make new ones. For example, maybe you’re ONLY a chromatic drake, or ONLY one of the Twilight drakes freed of corruption by Wrathion and you have three specs all revolving around solely the powers of a twilight dragon.

It is a very flexible concept.
    ok so the deathknight in WC3 had the same abilities as the necromancers in WC3??

i mean if you are using the necromancers from other games to say that the necromancer in WoW doesnt have to be cloth based caster then using the fact we have a ranger style demon hunter means that they didnt see DH as melee (especially considering only 2 abilities require melee but you never mentioned that during your tyrade about UH dk being the only spec in the game that could be played at range minus a couple abilities)

you also seem to think that the concept of the pandaren in WoW originally not being planned and then changed because blizz decided to change it doesnt mean anything in the case of a class not existing in WoW and blizz being able to add it at any time because they can choose to which is wrong.

Also DH being introduced in the second demon expansion isnt some requirement. They wanted to release them with TBC but decided against it in early development sooo regardless of this being the afterlife expaznsion....not the second undeath expansion...blizz can introduce nacromancer whenever they want.

The fact that DK has some necromancer abilities which are not core to the fantasy of necromancers in Warcraft except maybe army of the dead is pointless. We have a priest and a paladin both have spells that place a small absorb and both have quick big heals and both have support abilities and both are light based with a ton of overlap unless you want to say "well actually the priest believes in the light the paladin is empowered by the light" then you have to accept the argument of "a necromancer is a master of all things death magic while a death knight uses some of it"

also the dragonsworn doesnt require being a dragon which is a race
    for somebody whos super into "actually it works like this" you seem unable to grasp the concept of a race not being a class
    "i dont wanna be a dragons bootlicker" well good thing a lot of fans of pop culture and other dragonsworn like concepts disagree with you

also keep in mind nobody in this thread including you and me are devs of this game and they can ignore every last bit of this whether you think they will or they wont because blizz has done stuff out of left field before

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    ok so the deathknight in WC3 had the same abilities as the necromancers in WC3??

i mean if you are using the necromancers from other games to say that the necromancer in WoW doesnt have to be cloth based caster then using the fact we have a ranger style demon hunter means that they didnt see DH as melee (especially considering only 2 abilities require melee but you never mentioned that during your tyrade about UH dk being the only spec in the game that could be played at range minus a couple abilities)
    I have no idea how you reached that conclusion. Illidan Stormrage was always in play to be the standard bearer of the Demon Hunter concept in Warcraft

Conversely the Necromancer “hero” in Warcraft was always Arthas Menethil/Lich King

For whatever reason, people here fail to acknowledge that WoW classes are based on heroes and lore characters. If none exists, Blizzard will make lore characters for an upcoming class, which is arguably what they did for Monks before their appearance in MoP. You should really think about why no major Necromancer lore character exists, or has been created in years following WotLK. That should be a big red flag in regards to the future chances of a Necromancer class in WoW.

you also seem to think that the concept of the pandaren in WoW originally not being planned and then changed because blizz decided to change it doesnt mean anything in the case of a class not existing in WoW and blizz being able to add it at any time because they can choose to which is wrong.

Also DH being introduced in the second demon expansion isnt some requirement. They wanted to release them with TBC but decided against it in early development sooo regardless of this being the afterlife expaznsion....not the second undeath expansion...blizz can introduce nacromancer whenever they want.
    Again, I don’t know what the Pandaren have to do with any of this. The point is that while Blizzard can release a Necromancer class whenever they want, it’s important to remember why Blizzard didn’t release a new class with this expansion; Blizzard felt that no potential class could match this expansion’s story, setting, or theme. Given that this expansion deals with us facing a new Lich king in Anduin, the main antagonist being the Undead character Sylvanas and the Jailer of Death, the creators of the Lich King’s helm of domination, the birthplace of Necromancy, an ongoing scourge invasion in Azeroth, etc.etc. the idea that a Necromancer class is still on the horizon is a laughable idea. You’re free to believe whatever you like, but the writing is on the wall.

The fact that DK has some necromancer abilities which are not core to the fantasy of necromancers in Warcraft except maybe army of the dead is pointless.
    What you believe is and is not core to the Necromancer fantasy is completely your opinion.

We have a priest and a paladin both have spells that place a small absorb and both have quick big heals and both have support abilities and both are light based with a ton of overlap unless you want to say "well actually the priest believes in the light the paladin is empowered by the light" then you have to accept the argument of "a necromancer is a master of all things death magic while a death knight uses some of it"
    Another fact you and others ignore for some reason is that priests are the class that balanced shadow and holy magic. Paladins are pure holy Warriors who use holy magic in the form of weapon and armor abilities. In terms of gameplay mechanics Priests only use holy magic for healing, whereas Paladins use it for Tanking and DPS. Priests use shadow for DPS, and Paladins don’t use shadow at all.

Death Knights raise the dead, use diseases to weaken foes, can construct undead monstrosities, control the cold like a lich, can turn undead to enhance their dark powers, use blood and bone to heal and protect themselves, can summon a large menagerie of undead minions to fight for them,launch shadow bolts at enemies, and can even control undead that roam the world.

What are we missing here? You think all of that is negated because they’re wearing plate and fight with a sword?

also the dragonsworn doesnt require being a dragon which is a race
    for somebody whos super into "actually it works like this" you seem unable to grasp the concept of a race not being a class
    "i dont wanna be a dragons bootlicker" well good thing a lot of fans of pop culture and other dragonsworn like concepts disagree with you

also keep in mind nobody in this thread including you and me are devs of this game and they can ignore every last bit of this whether you think they will or they wont because blizz has done stuff out of left field before
    Yet if we simply look at how Blizzard operates, it’s rather clear which rote they would take. We’ve played every WoW class in a different form before Blizzard made them into a WoW class. We’ve played as three different Warcraft characters that are dragons in HotS. Further, we have encountered these characters in WoW multiple times in multiple expansions, and they are major characters loaded with lore. You may view this as nothing, but consider that familiarity with a concept is a huge part of its adoption into the game, especially when it comes to classes. Just look at the Bard thread where almost every other post is about how that concept doesn’t fit WoW. There’s a reason for that.

We have never played or even come across a dragonsworn as you have described. Again, just look at the history, and ask yourself; would you go with a concept your fanbase is familiar with and is extremely popular, or would you go with a concept that no one has seen, played, or encountered in any of your video games?

Also Blizzard goes with “the rule of cool”. You don’t get much cooler than a dragon class based on Wrathion.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2021-02-27 at 07:54 AM.

Tinker or return that Ranged survival spec for hunter. That's enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Tinkerer !
    Yes, agree!

Warlocks got that ability in WotLK. Death Knights ALWAYS had Necromancer abilities. Even in WC3.
    Actually, in WC3, death knights only had death knights abilities.

Which isn’t the same situation as what we’re talking about here. Necromancy being an integral part of the DK class’ design is a purposeful design decision by Blizzard. A design decision they reinforced in Shadowlands by giving DKs additional Necromancer-style abilities.
    They gave everyone additional necromancy abilities, in case you didn't notice.

So the point is that Blizzard doesn’t view ranged, frail spell-casting as essential to the Necromancer concept. To Blizzard the Necromancer can be a tough melee fighter as well.
    Considering every single character in the Warcraft franchise tagged "necromancer" is actually a ranged, frail spellcaster, I would say Blizzard does see it as essential to the necromancer concept.

The second death expansion gave us DKs with expanded lore and more Necromancer-style abilities.
    So much wrong here. This is an expansion which its theme is about the afterlife, not undeath, so, no, it's not like Wrath. And also: Blizzard gave all classes necromantic abilities.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2021-02-27 at 04:36 PM.

What you believe is and is not core to the Necromancer fantasy is completely your opinion.

Also Blizzard goes with “the rule of cool”. You don’t get much cooler than a dragon class based on Wrathion.
    same as you bud
    what you think is core to a class or cool is your opinion but you sit here acting like chris chan yelling at people for drawing sonic with different arms

you arent blizzard
    im not blizzard
    necromancers could be next expansion
    dragonsworn could be next expansion
    the only thing that can be said for sure is that dragons are a race not a class

10+ Year Old Account
    necromancers could be next expansion
    They won't be because there won't be back to back death expansions, and there's no necromancer lore hero. Necromancer had a chance this expansion, and it didn't happen.

dragonsworn could be next expansion
    If Dragonsworn is a class it's going to be based on concepts that players have already experienced in Blizzard's games. Not wholly generic concepts from non-Blizzard games.

They won't be because there won't be back to back death expansions,
    Afterlife =/= undeath. And we had Legion following WoD, remember?

and there's no necromancer lore hero.
    There was no monk lore hero, either.

Necromancer had a chance this expansion, and it didn't happen.
    It doesn't mean it will never get another chance.

They won't be because there won't be back to back death expansions, and there's no necromancer lore hero. Necromancer had a chance this expansion, and it didn't happen.

If Dragonsworn is a class it's going to be based on concepts that players have already experienced in Blizzard's games. Not wholly generic concepts from non-Blizzard games.
    Thanks blizzard
    I didn’t know we had the lead designer here

Tell me how the main theme of this expansion is necromancy when it’s one covenant with no raid

Tell me how a dragonsworn (which blizzard already has some form of definition) can magically mean a dragon that is just....a dragon would be cooler than essentially the concept of a mortal loyal to the dragons and empowered by them considering we have one that’s a big nerd culture reference and is in multiple forms of media including video games and the other is...a dragon

Probably tinkerer, but I don't think that's a good name. They could just call it an Engineer or Inventor.

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Probably tinkerer, but I don't think that's a good name. They could just call it an Engineer or Inventor.
    I guess its 90 % range class and i hope that nicormancer will join the battle or dark hunter that have the style of sylvanas or black mage all of those are good but i hats that called tinkerer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator4321 View Post
    All it says is your confirmation bias prevents you from recognizing other peoples wishes for a next class as valid and worth respecting, the fact that you don't see any value in a Necromancer class doesn't mean other people can't wish to see an archetype that they like be represented and you're disrespectful enough to tell them to go play a Death Knight if they want a Necromancer class because according to you they're the same thing, even though they are completely different archetypes (Anti-Paladin/Dark Knight vs a Dark themed spellcaster) because they share the same magic (Death Magic)(which also makes Warlocks and Demon Hunters "the same")

If you genuinely can't see a difference between this:

And this:

And can't see why someone would desire a class that resembles the first in aesthetic and gameplay then it's clear you aren't interested in discussion but instead in shutting down anything that doesn't conform to your subjective tastes (and i say this as someone who ranks a "technology" archetype as higher than a "necromancer" archetype on what i'd like out of the next class)
    Many players can't see it because Death Knight and Warlock already fill this niche. A Blood-based class is the most original but it only fulfills the Healer role. Otherwise, it's a copycat of ESO and Diablo 3's (Hello, staff wielding and 2-H Death Knight?) necromancers that most folk here are requesting.

It's more likely that they'll overhaul the cosmetic glyph system, with most signs pointing towards a Dragon-themed expansion and potentially a Dragon-themed class.

It's highly unlikely we'll get a Necromancer class just like we never got an Azerite-themed class or a class based on every unique leader with unique spells in-game. Unless they borrow from the Covenant system but they don't fit the 'Necro'mancer theme save for Necrolords. This would've been the expansion to introduce a new class; once they start creating the next expansion they move on.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2021-02-28 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    Many players can't see it because Death Knight and Warlock already fill this niche. A Blood-based class is the most original but it only fulfills the Healer role. Otherwise, it's a copycat of ESO and Diablo 3's (Hello, staff wielding and 2-H Death Knight?) necromancers that most folk here are requesting.

It's more likely that they'll overhaul the cosmetic glyph system, with most signs pointing towards a Dragon-themed expansion and potentially a Dragon-themed class.

It's highly unlikely we'll get a Necromancer class just like we never got an Azerite-themed class or a class based on every unique leader with unique spells in-game. Unless they borrow from the Covenant system but they don't fit the 'Necro'mancer theme save for Necrolords. This would've been the expansion to introduce a new class; once they start creating the next expansion they move on.
    TBC didn’t have a demon hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    TBC didn’t have a demon hunter
    Because TBC followed Vanilla where they introduced the original nine classes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    Thanks blizzard
    I didn’t know we had the lead designer here

Tell me how the main theme of this expansion is necromancy when it’s one covenant with no raid
    I didn’t say Necromancy, I said Death. We’re in the realm of the dead and dealing with multiple facets of death. Necromancers as a class deal with the magic of death. In addition scourge are running rampant in Azeroth. You saying a Necromancer couldn’t be helpful in that situation as well?

Tell me how a dragonsworn (which blizzard already has some form of definition) can magically mean a dragon that is just....a dragon would be cooler than essentially the concept of a mortal loyal to the dragons and empowered by them considering we have one that’s a big nerd culture reference and is in multiple forms of media including video games and the other is...a dragon
    We have no idea what a dragon class would be called. People just use dragonsworn because of its connection to the TTRPGs. The point is that up to this point WoW classes have always had two elements; a major lore character to attach the class to, and it being playable in some form. Dragonsworn as you describe it has neither.

I didn’t say Necromancy, I said Death. We’re in the realm of the dead and dealing with multiple facets of death. Necromancers as a class deal with the magic of death. In addition scourge are running rampant in Azeroth. You saying a Necromancer couldn’t be helpful in that situation as well?
    And the Shadowlands is an expansion about the afterlife, which is something the necromancers are not about, no matter how much you try to escape this fact.

and there is a concept from warcraft
    that concept isnt being a dragon

- - - Updated - - -

Because TBC followed Vanilla where they introduced the original nine classes.

- - - Updated - - -

We have no idea what a dragon class would be called. People just use dragonsworn because of its connection to the TTRPGs. The point is that up to this point WoW classes have always had two elements; a major lore character to attach the class to, and it being playable in some form. Dragonsworn as you describe it has neither.
    they didnt introduce DH because they didn't feel like it actually
    from the interview
    How long was the demon hunter class in the works and have you wanted to implement them for a long time or only recently?
    A: Since we played WCIII we have wanted to implement and play them! Has been discussed during BC but mostly during the last year and a half.

the exact wording from the interview "we wanted to impliment them since we played illidan in WC3. Like way before TBC." then the other guy "yeah that was one of the things from my first month w??? (audio screwed up) was 'hey can you try to figure out some way to get the demon hunter class into the game' and it uh as it was the timing didnt really work out because the burning crusade was the first opportunity and then we just waited and waited until we were like 'finally' legion is there this is the time"

so contrary to your almighty opinion oh ye lord of warcraft classes it was apparently just not something the devs attempted and by the time crafticus came in it was too late

10+ Year Old Account
    and there is a concept from warcraft
    that concept isnt being a dragon
    Yes, Dragonsworn in the TTRPG is a prestige class, something that does not exist in the WoW class system. However, it isn’t the dragon Knight that you describe. So again, where is your version of Dragonsworn in any WC-based game? Does it exist in Warcraft at all?

they didnt introduce DH because they didn't feel like it actually
    from the interview
    How long was the demon hunter class in the works and have you wanted to implement them for a long time or only recently?
    A: Since we played WCIII we have wanted to implement and play them! Has been discussed during BC but mostly during the last year and a half.

the exact wording from the interview "we wanted to impliment them since we played illidan in WC3. Like way before TBC." then the other guy "yeah that was one of the things from my first month w??? (audio screwed up) was 'hey can you try to figure out some way to get the demon hunter class into the game' and it uh as it was the timing didnt really work out because the burning crusade was the first opportunity and then we just waited and waited until we were like 'finally' legion is there this is the time"

so contrary to your almighty opinion oh ye lord of warcraft classes it was apparently just not something the devs attempted and by the time crafticus came in it was too late
    Nothing you typed above contradicts anything I stated before.

Yes, Dragonsworn in the TTRPG is a prestige class, something that does not exist in the WoW class system. However, it isn’t the dragon Knight that you describe. So again, where is your version of Dragonsworn in any WC-based game? Does it exist in Warcraft at all?

Nothing you typed above contradicts anything I stated before.
    you said they didnt do it because vanilla introduced the core classes

from that interview its because the expansion was in production before the suggestion of DH was made by the developer

10+ Year Old Account
    you said they didnt do it because vanilla introduced the core classes

from that interview its because the expansion was in production before the suggestion of DH was made by the developer
    At this point further discussion on this topic is pointless. I'll see you in the fall with the next expansion announcement.

At this point further discussion on this topic is pointless. I'll see you in the fall with the next expansion announcement.
    because you were wrong

it was nothing about core classes
    it was nothing about vanilla
    it was because they didnt attempt it because they just didnt

every time you get caught out on a point you do this garbage because you cant back up your BS claims and its been happening for 200 pages
    you arent blizzard
    you do not get to tell players which class is and isnt possible especially when you try to claim you know blizzard's motivation for their choices because it ends up like this where you get proved wroooooong