Bring Soulburn back to Affliction

I see no good reason it was removed and non that stops bringing it back. It was an amazing spell that gave you the option of buffing other utility abilities in return for a shard (say soulburn: demonic teleport made you 50% faster after teleporting to your circle. Soulburn: Drain Life made Drain Life do significantly more healing, etc). It only took one extra ability on the bar but allowed for so much options

Depending on the expansion, it also had dps applications, ussualy along the lines of "you sacrifice shards for inefficent burst in cases the mob wont live long enough for regular rotation", such as Soulburn: Soulswap allowing you to apply all your 3 dots in the span on a single global.

In current design, we could have Soulburn: Agony (applies all baseline dots, including unstable affliction, and Siphon Life too if talented) for one shard, maybe two. and Soulburn: Seed of Corruption to make seed cost one more shard (so 2 total), but be instant cast and also explode instantly. This won't make afflocks dominate burst, but it will give them actual (if inefficent) options when mobs die quick, which is perfect for a dot specc that isnt meant to excel in burst. Most importantly, it will add fun and intelligent decisions without disrupting anything else.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

3+ Year Old Account
    I agree but that would be too much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    I agree but that would be too much fun.
    I wish they'd just accept some things in mop and warlords design were straight up great :'(

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amariw View Post
    I wish they'd just accept some things in mop and warlords design were straight up great :'(
    I think you'll find that's an extremely common opinion. But Blizzard does what they do best: bury their heads in the sand.

Too complicated for new players.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved soulburn across the specs, really. But as an affliction only talent/ability it would be welcome. I still pine for it, and soul swap...and even fel flame.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with you, OP. I made this thread a few years ago, but it was widely panned. Unfortunately the Soul Burn system was too confusing for people around here. Spell modifiers might as well be String Theory to the average MMO-Champ.

Some of the utility Soulburns are actually Finesse/Endurance conduits. Either directly repeated, like the one for Demonic Circle, or with a different twist like the one for Drain Life. Personally I'd like a return of Soulburn: Haunt the most, if only for that sweet spell effect. Also, I was just thinking yesterday that Deathbolt would make for a thematic fit for Soulburn: Malefic Rupture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Agreed, sadly can't see them doing it.best hope would be for it to return in some form of Legendary power?

Nothing i miss more than Soul Swap though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Some of the utility Soulburns are actually Finesse/Endurance conduits. Either directly repeated, like the one for Demonic Circle, or with a different twist like the one for Drain Life. Personally I'd like a return of Soulburn: Haunt the most, if only for that sweet spell effect. Also, I was just thinking yesterday that Deathbolt would make for a thematic fit for Soulburn: Malefic Rupture.
    The utility possibilites were a very fun aspect and choice of the spell, but first of all affliction really needs some burst option. not a Strong burst option, but something, just to feel fun and not cumbersome in an otherwise decently designed iteration. No reason for it not to be baseline.

As for deathbolt, i'm kinda happy they scrapped it tbh (its a pvp talent though), the need to count seconds on dots and the way it competed with everything else was needlessly intrusive.

As for deathbolt, i'm kinda happy they scrapped it tbh (its a pvp talent though), the need to count seconds on dots and the way it competed with everything else was needlessly intrusive.
    I know it's a PvP talent, but that makes it useless for most of game content unless you have world PvP toggled on. Besides, I'm not saying it should return to PvE in the same exact form. You could twist it a bit to make it so it deals x% of the total damage of the DoT (maybe pre-Pandemic duration) and just lower the percentage accordingly. Combine that with the additional Soul Shard cost from Soul Burn and tweak its CD as well if needed.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Sounds good to me, should probably post this on the official forums though.
    My name is what makes me so manly.

Soul Burn, Fel Flame, and arguably Soul Swap should have never been removed.

yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by Elise the Seeker View Post
    Sounds good to me, should probably post this on the official forums though.
    https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...-please/214828

I did. But it's europe forums with no traffic, if anyone can copy it to USA i'd think we get more views. I also posted it on TheBlackHarvest reddit but it doesn't seem too active, so if anyone has more ideas i'll gladly post it anywhere.

I think its such a huge oversight by blizz that isn't hard/overpowered to implement and will make the specc so much smoother.

- - - Updated - - -

I know it's a PvP talent, but that makes it useless for most of game content unless you have world PvP toggled on. Besides, I'm not saying it should return to PvE in the same exact form. You could twist it a bit to make it so it deals x% of the total damage of the DoT (maybe pre-Pandemic duration) and just lower the percentage accordingly. Combine that with the additional Soul Shard cost from Soul Burn and tweak its CD as well if needed.
    That would pretty much be malefic grasp though no? Like it sounds alright, but without the dot duration counting portion we basically have it now no?

That would pretty much be malefic grasp though no? Like it sounds alright, but without the dot duration counting portion we basically have it now no?
    Malefic Grasp deals specific damage per DoT, Death Bolt did (and still would do under what I described) damage based on a percentage of the damage of the DoTs themselves. So there is a difference. Especially when it comes to the scaling, as it'd indirectly scale with mastery on top of intellect. Besides, it's not like Soul Burn is about reinventing the wheel when it comes to the abilities it buffed. SB portal still ported you, just with a short burst of speed afterwards. SB summoning still summoned demons, just instantly. SB Haunt still haunted the enemy, just gave you a buff on top of that. So this would follow that theme and be a stronger and slightly different Malefic Grasp, with the intent being that it'd fill the spot of a shorter (30-60 sec) cooldown.

Also, technically Malefic Grasp is an AoE while the Deathbolt as it exists now is ST spell. You could still keep that part to differentiate the two further if needed. Though with it doing a larger percent of the DoT damage than it'd do as an AoE spell.