Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    32,939

    [Spoilers] Shadowlands Launch Cinematic: "Beyond the Veil"



    "In the Shadowlands, every soul has its place—from the path of ascension among the spires of Bastion to an eternity of torment in the depths of the Maw. Choose where your destiny lies."
    "HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM." - Death, Hogfather

  2. #2
    Bloodsail Admiral tommyhil622's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Im guessing this cinematic occurs before Slyvannas went to ICC? Since they depicting the Jailer with chains here.

    The initial voice over is the Archon according the CC.

    Some people were expecting a cinematic based on the artwork shown in pc gamer magazine. Honestly i was surprised, didn't think we would get another trailer till after launch.

    Lastly i think he's chained up in the same location that Runecarver is currently located. Could be wrong?
    Last edited by tommyhil622; 2020-11-16 at 06:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    32,939
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhil622 View Post
    Im guessing this cinematic occurs before Slyvannas went to ICC? Since they depicting the Jailer with chains here.

    The initial voice over is the Archon according the CC.

    Some people were expecting a cinematic based on the artwork shown in pc gamer magazine. Honestly i was surprised, didn't think we would get another trailer till after launch.

    Lastly i think he's chained up in the same location that Runecarver is currently located. Could be wrong?
    I think this cinematic is prior to or at least during the "breaking of Death," which could explain the Winter Queen's expression before she departs in the Ardenweald sequence. I also agree that the Jailer's initial spot does seem like what would become the Runecarver's prison later on, down to the circular dais and position of the chains holding him.
    "HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM." - Death, Hogfather

  4. #4
    High Overlord Yuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    194
    The jailor was where the Runecarver is now? That's interesting, I still wonder how he got rid of the chains.
    Don't let min-maxers ruin Shadowlands for us! Rise up, fellow casuals!

  5. #5
    FUUUUCK That was awesome! Great way of introducing all the big guys. Shame there was no Sylvanas tho.

  6. #6
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    32,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuli View Post
    The jailor was where the Runecarver is now? That's interesting, I still wonder how he got rid of the chains.
    I assume as more power was drawn to the Maw in the form of diverted souls and anima, his strength increased sufficiently to break them and leave.
    "HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM." - Death, Hogfather

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I assume as more power was drawn to the Maw in the form of diverted souls and anima, his strength increased sufficiently to break them and leave.
    It's interesting he's able to use the chains before breaking free to form the Maw.

    The landmass within the Maw consists of pieces of land that have been ripped from a realm that was destroyed upon entering the Maw's atmosphere and whose pieces have become burned and desiccated. The Jailer pieced these together into a single landmass by throwing out chains in every direction within the Maw from Torghast and pulling them inwards.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Still here and still posting

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral tommyhil622's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think this cinematic is prior to or at least during the "breaking of Death," which could explain the Winter Queen's expression before she departs in the Ardenweald sequence. I also agree that the Jailer's initial spot does seem like what would become the Runecarver's prison later on, down to the circular dais and position of the chains holding him.
    Definitely could that in relation to the "Breaking of Death" timing.

    Yea so if that's Runecarver's current location, and judging by the timing I do wonder if it puts a dent on the Primus being Runecarver. Only reason I say this is because they showed Margrave Krexus instead of Primus, which leads me to believe he's already gone yet we see the Jailer and not Runecarver. Unless theres' a gap of time when Primus disappeared and got to the maw in some way etc. Then again, the timing could be weird in this cinematic.
    Last edited by tommyhil622; 2020-11-16 at 07:12 PM.

  9. #9
    IDK what's to discuss about it (lorewise at least) tbh. This cinematic has zero substance, it's just glances of each covenant in CGI, zero story what so ever.

    At least the Saurfang one had something going on in it.

  10. #10
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    32,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    It's interesting he's able to use the chains before breaking free to form the Maw.
    I would assume from that description that Torghast always was, but the other locales within the Maw were more or less "stolen" later on. Once he got a bit of freedom he used it immediately to start accreting more to himself.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    IDK what's to discuss about it (lorewise at least) tbh. This cinematic has zero substance, it's just glances of each covenant in CGI, zero story what so ever.

    At least the Saurfang one had something going on in it.
    There are story elements more glimpsed than explained - the mustering of the Wild Hunt, the nature of the Jailer's imprisonment, Revendreth's presumed failures being hurled bodily into the Maw, etc. etc.
    "HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM." - Death, Hogfather

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    IDK what's to discuss about it (lorewise at least) tbh. This cinematic has zero substance, it's just glances of each covenant in CGI, zero story what so ever.

    At least the Saurfang one had something going on in it.
    It’s in the details ! But you are mostly right the only thing that was revealing lore wise the the location were Jailer was chained up.

    It’s more of a hype up trailer for SL characters

  12. #12
    The Jailer's teeth are just... ew.

    I always say this: Just because you're a villain doesn't mean you can't take splendid care of your personal hygiene.

  13. #13
    I want those vampire ladies so badly, PlAYaBlE ALLieD RaCE WHEN!!! But for real they look awesome, I got nostalgia of what Blood Elves could have been back on BC

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    The Jailer's teeth are just... ew.

    I always say this: Just because you're a villain doesn't mean you can't take splendid care of your personal hygiene.
    Did...you not see those chains? I'd imagine it's hard to do any kind of hygiene. Imagine the smell coming off of a being that hasn't showered in eons.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Still here and still posting

  15. #15
    CGI cinematics are always on point coming from Blizzard.


    This isn't the "expansion cinematic" is it? The one that plays when you load up the game that is.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Did...you not see those chains? I'd imagine it's hard to do any kind of hygiene. Imagine the smell coming off of a being that hasn't showered in eons.
    Have your minions do it for you? Like, I'm sure these ancient beings can use some creativity.

    Such an unkempt villain, he couldn't even remove his handcuffs after he broke free. What a vagabond. He doesn't even wear any kind of shoe. Literally a beggar lol.

  17. #17
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    32,939
    Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post
    CGI cinematics are always on point coming from Blizzard.


    This isn't the "expansion cinematic" is it? The one that plays when you load up the game that is.
    Probably not, no. I think this is more just a teaser type cinematic showcasing various elements of Shadowlands. The expansion intro cinematic generally tells a more cohesive and narrative story.
    "HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM." - Death, Hogfather

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Probably not, no. I think this is more just a teaser type cinematic showcasing various elements of Shadowlands. The expansion intro cinematic generally tells a more cohesive and narrative story.
    That's ultimately how I felt that is was more about showcasing the environment.

    Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post
    CGI cinematics are always on point coming from Blizzard.
    Yes they always manage to pull off some beautiful work.

    I don't know something about this cinematic didn't feel very World of Warcraft to me. I'm not suggesting that is entirely a bad or good thing. I was pretty indifferent about it. I wonder what made them go that route. Either way the expansion is here next week !! I hope it will be playable and enjoyable. Excited to find out.
    Last edited by Kixxenn; 2020-11-16 at 07:50 PM.

  19. #19
    I liked it. The winter queen was looking rather sinister, curious where they take her story.

  20. #20
    The thing this cinematic made me wonder the most is why indeed did they not show the Primus in the Maldraxxus bit? He is missing from the loading screen too, all the other Eternal ones are present, but not him. Is it possible that they intend him to actually look like Margrave Krexus, rather than what we've seen in the game.

    What's even the point of having Krexus on the loading screen if he is going to die in the leveling experience

    And another thing that I'm very eager to learn is, who is the Maldraxxus army fighting in their bit? Is it just some random enemy? Is it in-faction fighting?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •