Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    The only class I'd ever go Kyrian with is my Paladin and that's like my 4th or 5th toon I'm going to play. Right now it's like this for me:

1st Mistweaver Monk: Necrolord
    2nd Restoration Shaman: Necrolord
    3rd Shadow Priest: Necrolord / Venthyr (I prefer the Necrolord skill but I don't want another Necrolord)
    4th Restoration Druid: Necrolord (here we go again...)
    5th Holy Paladin: Kyrian

I wish I wouldn't be forced to go Necrolord on three or four of my toons, but they're either too strong or just have the best gameplay interaction for me. Nightfae is basically never an option because they suck for most of my specs. Picking the best vs. worst Covenant for a class can result in a 10-15% performance decrease / increase, so to take the "worst" Covenant is absolutely no possibility, although you might prefer the aesthetics (good job Blizzard).
    Not sure what you mean about Nightfae not being an option for any of your specs, it's widely accepted as being the best for resto druids! If you're looking for an opportunity not to have a 4th Necrolord and wanted to experience Nightfae that seems like the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Caryaya View Post
    Not sure what you mean about Nightfae not being an option for any of your specs, it's widely accepted as being the best for resto druids! If you're looking for an opportunity not to have a 4th Necrolord and wanted to experience Nightfae that seems like the best bet.
    Nightfae is overall the least desireable Covenant for most specs and classes as of now, followed by Necrolord. The one time I really wanted to pick it (MW Monk) I couldn't because it's quite weak in comparison. And I know it's the go to pick for Druids, but I absolutely hate the ability. It's the only time when the best choice doesn't match with my personal gameplay enjoyment. I just think the Necrolord ability is overall so much better for my Resto, Feral and Balance gameplay, even if it might be the weaker option overall.

In all other of my cases Necrolord is the top choice and feels best from a gameplay perspective (for me).
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Nightfae is overall the least desireable Covenant for most specs and classes as of now, followed by Necrolord. The one time I really wanted to pick it (MW Monk) I couldn't because it's quite weak in comparison. And I know it's the go to pick for Druids, but I absolutely hate the ability. It's the only time when the best choice doesn't match with my personal gameplay enjoyment. I just think the Necrolord ability is overall so much better for my Resto, Feral and Balance gameplay, even if it might be the weaker option overall.

In all other of my cases Necrolord is the top choice and feels best from a gameplay perspective (for me).
    That's fair, you're absolutely right that most of the time Nightfae just kind of sucks - I'm glad I like the druid ability as it'll give me a chance to play it without gimping myself. It's a shame it's worked out that Necrolord is the best option for most of the characters you want to play, hopefully something will change down the line to give you a bit more variety!

Best overall covenant for mages is Nightfae

i plan on skipping the covenant stuff altogether because it doesn't sound interesting and for the last year i've only been doing old content. if shadowlands actually turns out to be fun and engaging (not holding my breath), i'll choose a covenant that matches the character's theme.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Best overall covenant for mages is Nightfae
    Not sure about that, in the wowhead overview Kyrian is never considered the best for Mages (I'm not a Mage player so that's all I can say about the class). This is what I've found about Mages, so that might be the reason: All of the covenants are extremely close in terms of performance due to how little power they provide, so realistically you can choose what you want.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

I will choose the strongest covenant. Simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the looks of it, Kyrian Monks have a mini lust of sorts. I will test it out but so far the only covenant that I completely scratched out of my list is Necrolords.

The venthyr ability looks way too cool.

Regardless, it will be a tough choice.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Not sure about that, in the wowhead overview Kyrian is never considered the best for Mages (I'm not a Mage player so that's all I can say about the class). This is what I've found about Mages, so that might be the reason: All of the covenants are extremely close in terms of performance due to how little power they provide, so realistically you can choose what you want.
    From the mage discord, nightfae is the best atm.

There is a lot of classes where they are close enough that you can choose. Nightfae has situations where its far ahead of the others in for example fire openers or arcane in general.

Kyrian imo is like dating a basic bitch. So Vanilla, so bland, so boring. And unfortunate these are so unbalanced.

venthyr for dk
    you
    cant
    just
    ignore
    the movement bonus

and they are vampire, its cools for dk

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any endgame aims any longer so whichever looks the most thematic for the rewards and armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Nope, I will pick Kyrian at launch because they're the coolest looking, and most original Covenant! Angels rule!

Venthyr are a close second.
    Are they the most original? Literal angels in a heaven-like afterlife. Wouldn't call that very original.

Mostly picking by aesthetic or theme, but if there's an ability I really like maybe that will sway me.

10+ Year Old Account
    After going through 3 and half covenant story campaigns in SL beta - I'm fine with picking Kyrian.

Certainly more interesting than Necros, who are just a bunch of reskinned "Loktar O'gar"s. I also think Kyrian covenant stronghold is the best both functionally with mounts allowed in it and visually. Night Bois are pretty nice too. Necros are just some shitty cave with minimal stuff in it and Vents, while have theme to it - are also inconvenient to navigate.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-11-18 at 03:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, still going for night fae for that sweet sweet CDR and fox form on my mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good looking also!
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Picking something based on it being the best now is folly. We have an entire expansion of tuning and patching and systems that will dramatically change the meta. Just pick something you want for now. What is "best" WILL change - probably several times throughout the entire duration.

I'll pick whatever is best for my spec according to community perception the day the raid tuning pass comes out. I will also be picking a main that day. Until then, I will just be learning the xpak and taking it all in.

If my "test" character turns out to be the fotm, then I will keep using that one. So far, I've decided that Affliction Warlock has the best chance of being OP enough to be great, but not so OP that they get hit hard in the fist round of nerfs(hopefully).

Once I have my fotm toon picked out for the first tier, then I will icy-veins(or whatever fotm resource is currently in style) my fotm covenant, and change each one as it arises.

This will create a much more varied and interesting gameplay experience for me across the entire xpak, instead of just playing the same character because I've decided at any one arbitrary point that I "like" that character. It will also allow me to experience more content in the same period of time. Due to my experience at the game, I will also likely have enough time to optimize each spec after switch to increase my overall performance, so it is better for my groups as well, not just me.

I'll also likely be able to use the catchup mechanisms to their most efficient.

I will use this to playfully rib my friends, because I will probably out-dps them. I will say, "lol, I started playing this mage last month and you've been playing that hunter the entire xpak...nice dps" and the like. It will be absolutely hilarious like always, and that's how I like to spend my time. So rewarding to hop in a fotm spec and really push it right off the bat, to kinda shock everyone in the raid. It's all in good fun, and WHEN they beat me, I will take the ribbing in turn and it will all be fun. My dps will ebb and flow over the xpak as I go through the cycle of rebirth.

I think it comes back to my interest in Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung. We all wear masks, and this is excellently represented by the class identify we choose when picking a toon in WoW. Traditionally, we(or at least I) stuck with a "main" or an identity that I actually adopted myself, calling myself, "I" a mage instead of my toon, and really getting into the lore/mythos. However, like the game based on the same philosophy, that main character can change masks at will to achieve the META for any situation, ala Persona 5. That is why I'm working towards, and it is just as fun and perhaps even moreso(and valid) than just sticking with one main.

Why, in your mind, does this carry a negative connotation? Is it not "fair" that others enjoy the extra "work" involved in optimizing their character's potential? Afterall, I am playing for fun and no other reason. If I find fotm and meta fun, what is wrong with that? I've always been a "try hard" because that is just how I approach things. I've never understood abiding casual boredom when playing a game. I like to spice it up. My philosophy is if I don't care enough to try, why do I care enough to even play?

Also, it really isn't more work, usually less to achieve similar results. It is just more "discussion question" work and less multiple choice, which I enjoy.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-11-18 at 04:14 PM.

I'm going Necrolord since I like em, simple as that. I ain't no raider or mythic+ pusher, just here for the lore and easy lewts!