Moonkin bad DPS?

Hey guys,

Just made this new Balance druid character that I geared through the pre-patch quests (ilvl 103 with no Azerite traits) and my DPS is really bad (average 700-800dps single target -- it sims on AskMrRobot at 900dps). I think I'm following the rotation, refresh the dots and do the right things during eclipse.

My hunter who has the same gear easily hits 1.7k single-target in both BM and Marks specs.

My question is less to ask about fixing my DPS - but is it normal to see such a gap between DPS specs? Is Moonkin that bad? Or is it likely just a L2P issue?

I'd love to play Moonkin in SL but cannot justify that choice right now with that kind of DPS...

Thanks!

Right now it doesn't really matter for dps. Don't have the conduits, legendaries, etc. Play what you want to play

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    Hey guys,

Just made this new Balance druid character that I geared through the pre-patch quests (ilvl 103 with no Azerite traits) and my DPS is really bad (average 700-800dps single target -- it sims on AskMrRobot at 900dps). I think I'm following the rotation, refresh the dots and do the right things during eclipse.

My hunter who has the same gear easily hits 1.7k single-target in both BM and Marks specs.

My question is less to ask about fixing my DPS - but is it normal to see such a gap between DPS specs? Is Moonkin that bad? Or is it likely just a L2P issue?

I'd love to play Moonkin in SL but cannot justify that choice right now with that kind of DPS...

Thanks!
    Like you i plan to main a Moonkin in SL, base on my research I can tell you the following, Moonkin is not the worst at DPS BUT they are not the best, they are in the middle of the pack , base on the fact that they have such good spread aoe dmg with Starfall and its a range DPS there is zero reasons not to bring moonkins in your group, if you enjoy the spec and the fantasy behind the spec play it, you will never have problems BUT if you are looking for top dog dps FOTM class i advise to go with different class

my gear is item level 121. azerite: arcanic pulsar and 3 x SS (this was considered BiS, before new eclipse mechanic). essences: all BiS. trinkets: Not completely BiS, but both in the top 5. Corruptions: Are disabled now.

info: when i say BiS here, i talk about BiS in 8.3. i not even checked if haste/crit still are the top prios.

my dps yesterday in a „just to test moonkin“ m+10 with starngers: 2100 dps
    my dps yesterday on 2 blightcaller kills (also just to test moonkin): 2400 dps

i do not wanna say ANYTHING with this. i have no clue if this is good or bad in comparison to other players or other classes. i just typed in my facts, for op, to get a comparison value.

No the chickens are looking fine in Shadowlands. We are looking decent and your dps is probably low from your ilvl 103 gear. Down below are the Dreamgrove sims. Although don't trust random links and you can find the discord with google to help you, the players there can be very useful as well with questions. Bloodmallet is also another good site to see dps breakdowns aswell.

https://balance-simc.github.io/Balance-SimC/

Quote Originally Posted by kaelix1 View Post
    Like you i plan to main a Moonkin in SL, base on my research I can tell you the following, Moonkin is not the worst at DPS BUT they are not the best, they are in the middle of the pack , base on the fact that they have such good spread aoe dmg with Starfall and its a range DPS there is zero reasons not to bring moonkins in your group, if you enjoy the spec and the fantasy behind the spec play it, you will never have problems BUT if you are looking for top dog dps FOTM class i advise to go with different class
    Middle of the pack is generally a good place for consistency. You're not likely to get big buffs or nerfs like the outliers do, so you can be fairly certain you can just stay there for the expansion.

Though basing anything off current numbers is just a recipe for disaster. Aside from the missing systems we get in SL, tuning will continue until at the very least Mythic opens.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Middle of the pack is generally a good place for consistency. You're not likely to get big buffs or nerfs like the outliers do, so you can be fairly certain you can just stay there for the expansion.

Though basing anything off current numbers is just a recipe for disaster. Aside from the missing systems we get in SL, tuning will continue until at the very least Mythic opens.
    Personally, i really enjoy Moonkin, the only thing i don't like is the dot duration, i always feel a waste to refresh the dots in an eclipse cycle but overall it's a nice spec, tho part of me wish starfall would do good single target to take full advantage of stellar drift

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks!

No moonkin damage is not bad. We are not OP like sub rogues perhaps but we are far upp the classes one best dps.
    We are also the most fun rotation wise!
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
    www.twitch.tv/mcitra

Did they change boomkin’s rotation in SL?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazmiras View Post
    Did they change boomkin’s rotation in SL?
    We're more or less back to how it worked in WotLK, so i'd go with yes.

Thanks, that is really good news!

From what I've seen balance dps looks fine maybe a little above avg. I like that starfall is an aura now

The new starfall is good