Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    The Lightbringer Twoddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,600
    Not really no.

  2. #22
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,373
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I doubt most people are, but I try to be the same asshole online as I am irl
    For the most part this, but I'm probably nicer online since I can delete posts before submitting them.
    /s

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    For the most part this, but I'm probably nicer online since I can delete posts before submitting them.
    I have a short temper that get's the best of me, online and off. but I always give shit to those who deserve it. although I find more people online that deserve it much more then real life, since I usually don't have random conversations with strangers in real life. But I also delete some most posts if I feel I've gone too far.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    For the most part this, but I'm probably nicer online since I can delete posts before submitting them.
    It's funny you say that because I can't count the number of posts I have made here(usually ill-willed towards some idiot) and later quickly deleted it because I knew it was an infraction waiting to happen haha

  5. #25
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    17,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    I don't, which is why I think it's stupid when forum threads come up and people base their answers on the OPs online personalith when he might be the complete opposite IRL, such as on relationship forums and someone writes "You must have no friends, your personality is awful, work on it".

    I can be a complete asshat online, and much edgier than I ever am IRL. Especially when it comes to gaming I can be one hell of an elitist asshole.
    IRL, though? None of that applies to me. IRL I'm the calm, slightly introverted, considerate guy who get along with everyone. My friends love me because of how kind, considerate, generous and caring I am, and how I always like to bring them along on fun small adventures (their words). I always want people around me to food good, completely the opposite of how I am online, and I don't know how many shoulders I have been to cry on for my best friend, like when she's had a fight with her boyfriend.

    Honestly, I think most people are like this. People "let go" and escape their real life personality when they go online, which is why I think it's stupid when people equate the two as the same. Of course it's difficult to know how someone is IRL through a simple forum post or a chat, but as a general rule I always assume that people who post online are like 10 times as nice IRL.
    I am the same person online, and in person. I make it a point to be as so. Online is not a fantasy realm where you should expect to have an alternative persona.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  6. #26
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    40,542
    Nah, I think people online are being who they are more than most people in RL, especially if they are anonymous
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  7. #27
    One hundred percent no. In social networks, people are more open, bold, and some even pretend to be the person he really is not.
    Many people on the Internet allow themselves to criticize others, condemn, insult, although in real life they are complex people who are afraid to say a word.
    I also often had situations when I met a guy on the Internet, and when we chatted, he behaved in one way, and when we met live, he behaved like a completely different person.
    I think that many people hide their true selves behind a computer or phone screen and pretend to be other people.

  8. #28
    Absolutely not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We can't pass the Magna Carta! That's socialism!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    How can you NOT give anything a gun? Freedom? Liberty? Where are your Freeberties?

  9. #29
    Nope. I am almost nothing in real life like how I portray myself online. I'm frustratingly socially awkward and struggle to articulate myself whereas online my perfectionism gets the better of me and I know it affects my tone. I'm not even sure I'd say the thoughts are the same since I try to be more centrist online while IRL I feel fairly strongly about most things.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

  10. #30
    Yes and no.

    I am a lot more outspoken online than I was irl. I met up a couple of times with friends I met through the online world, and without thinking about it I used my online personality with them. Which was for the better, because it made me more confident and I'm much more outspoken.

  11. #31
    I doubt it given how much people are uncomfortable with confrontation I am sure there is some bleed over but people are usually more petty in real life rather then just willing to settle things quickly directly.

  12. #32
    Yes. The thing is, everything you do and say is part of your personality, but we display different masks in different situations. If you're a racist POS online, but very sweet and nice IRL, you are still a racist POS ór a troll that likes to cause drama, not a sweet and nice person. It's all your personality.

    I know not to display certain traits at work, because it could cost me my job. Doesn't mean they're not part of my personality. Online people tend to be more outspoken and 'edgy', because it has little to no consequences. It's still a part of their personality, just something they supress IRL because of the possible rammifications.

  13. #33
    Absolutely not.

  14. #34
    The Insane Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    19,915
    I would say online brings out the real person. The one they hide because they know that shit don't fly IRL.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  15. #35
    there really are just 2 different types of people.

    1. gossipers / people who devote their time to talking about other people.
    2. people who hate gossip and gossipers. if they talk about others, its mostly reserved to how trollish it is to talk about others.

    i think people online are pretty much exactly how they are in real life in this respect. in real life, people who constantly gossip about everyone get socially isolated and shunned. they are effectively banned in real life from social groups. and really that should be bannable behavior on internet forums, but often it isn't. still, you can see which are the good apples and bad ones if you pay attention to that.

    i would bet that endus in real life gossips about people nonstop and has driven away most people with personal attacks and is shunned from most social circles. instead of learning and growing, he comes here and makes a billion posts doing the same thing. i feel sad for him. he needs help but would be an utterly miserable person to be around. this place is unhealthy for him and enables his poor life choices.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-12-05 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    there really are just 2 different types of people.

    1. gossipers / people who devote their time to talking about other people.
    2. people who hate gossip and gossipers. if they talk about others, its mostly reserved to how trollish it is to talk about others.

    i think people online are pretty much exactly how they are in real life in this respect. in real life, people who constantly gossip about everyone get socially isolated and shunned. they are effectively banned in real life from social groups. and really that should be bannable behavior on internet forums, but often it isn't. still, you can see which are the good apples and bad ones if you pay attention to that.

    i would bet that endus in real life gossips about people nonstop and has driven away most people with personal attacks and is shunned from most social circles. instead of learning and growing, he comes here and makes a billion posts doing the same thing. i feel sad for him. he needs help but would be an utterly miserable person to be around. this place is unhealthy for him and enables his poor life choices.
    lol... really? you talk about personal attacks... while personally attacking another poster?

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    i would bet that endus in real life gossips about people nonstop and has driven away most people with personal attacks and is shunned from most social circles. instead of learning and growing, he comes here and makes a billion posts doing the same thing. i feel sad for him. he needs help but would be an utterly miserable person to be around. this place is unhealthy for him and enables his poor life choices.

    Are you aware you have a signature of your own quote that has been outdated for over a year?

  18. #38
    Why would it be the same? Online is not IRL.

  19. #39
    Absolutely not. Anonymity and all that.

  20. #40
    Online Dating is an interesting way to get acquainted it often happens that the person in the picture is radically different from a real person, but this is not the rule. For example, I tried online dating with Slavic girls here. I was pleasantly surprised my current one was even more beautiful than in the photo
    Last edited by Black Star1; 2020-12-11 at 03:34 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •