Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    I don't, which is why I think it's stupid when forum threads come up and people base their answers on the OPs online personalith when he might be the complete opposite IRL, such as on relationship forums and someone writes "You must have no friends, your personality is awful, work on it".

I can be a complete asshat online, and much edgier than I ever am IRL. Especially when it comes to gaming I can be one hell of an elitist asshole.
    IRL, though? None of that applies to me. IRL I'm the calm, slightly introverted, considerate guy who get along with everyone. My friends love me because of how kind, considerate, generous and caring I am, and how I always like to bring them along on fun small adventures (their words). I always want people around me to food good, completely the opposite of how I am online, and I don't know how many shoulders I have been to cry on for my best friend, like when she's had a fight with her boyfriend.

Honestly, I think most people are like this. People "let go" and escape their real life personality when they go online, which is why I think it's stupid when people equate the two as the same. Of course it's difficult to know how someone is IRL through a simple forum post or a chat, but as a general rule I always assume that people who post online are like 10 times as nice IRL.
    I am the same person online, and in person. I make it a point to be as so. Online is not a fantasy realm where you should expect to have an alternative persona.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, I think people online are being who they are more than most people in RL, especially if they are anonymous
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

One hundred percent no. In social networks, people are more open, bold, and some even pretend to be the person he really is not.
    Many people on the Internet allow themselves to criticize others, condemn, insult, although in real life they are complex people who are afraid to say a word.
    I also often had situations when I met a guy on the Internet, and when we chatted, he behaved in one way, and when we met live, he behaved like a completely different person.
    I think that many people hide their true selves behind a computer or phone screen and pretend to be other people.

Absolutely not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Nope. I am almost nothing in real life like how I portray myself online. I'm frustratingly socially awkward and struggle to articulate myself whereas online my perfectionism gets the better of me and I know it affects my tone. I'm not even sure I'd say the thoughts are the same since I try to be more centrist online while IRL I feel fairly strongly about most things.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

I doubt it given how much people are uncomfortable with confrontation I am sure there is some bleed over but people are usually more petty in real life rather then just willing to settle things quickly directly.

Yes. The thing is, everything you do and say is part of your personality, but we display different masks in different situations. If you're a racist POS online, but very sweet and nice IRL, you are still a racist POS ór a troll that likes to cause drama, not a sweet and nice person. It's all your personality.

I know not to display certain traits at work, because it could cost me my job. Doesn't mean they're not part of my personality. Online people tend to be more outspoken and 'edgy', because it has little to no consequences. It's still a part of their personality, just something they supress IRL because of the possible rammifications.

Absolutely not.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say online brings out the real person. The one they hide because they know that shit don't fly IRL.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

there really are just 2 different types of people.

1. gossipers / people who devote their time to talking about other people.
    2. people who hate gossip and gossipers. if they talk about others, its mostly reserved to how trollish it is to talk about others.

i think people online are pretty much exactly how they are in real life in this respect. in real life, people who constantly gossip about everyone get socially isolated and shunned. they are effectively banned in real life from social groups. and really that should be bannable behavior on internet forums, but often it isn't. still, you can see which are the good apples and bad ones if you pay attention to that.

i would bet that endus in real life gossips about people nonstop and has driven away most people with personal attacks and is shunned from most social circles. instead of learning and growing, he comes here and makes a billion posts doing the same thing. i feel sad for him. he needs help but would be an utterly miserable person to be around. this place is unhealthy for him and enables his poor life choices.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-12-05 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    i would bet that endus in real life gossips about people nonstop and has driven away most people with personal attacks and is shunned from most social circles. instead of learning and growing, he comes here and makes a billion posts doing the same thing. i feel sad for him. he needs help but would be an utterly miserable person to be around. this place is unhealthy for him and enables his poor life choices.

Are you aware you have a signature of your own quote that has been outdated for over a year?

Why would it be the same? Online is not IRL.

Absolutely not. Anonymity and all that.

Online Dating is an interesting way to get acquainted it often happens that the person in the picture is radically different from a real person, but this is not the rule. For example, I tried online dating with Slavic girls here. I was pleasantly surprised my current one was even more beautiful than in the photo
    Last edited by Black Star1; 2020-12-11 at 03:34 PM.

Well for starters there are people which have different personalities IRL to begin with...

(Not talking about personality disorders, but about differing private/public behaviour).
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Deep down...YES!

People restrain themselves IRL because they care what their peers and even random strangers think about them, not to mention there are social consequences for being unhinged in public. But the Internet is the only place where someone has the freedom to say what they want and express themselves in the way they truly are.

I don't believe people have two personalities. The only difference is that their real life personality is chained up, while the online one is not.