Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Question What was the point of siding with Sylvanas in BFA?

What was the point of introducing branching in BFA war campaign questline if the choices don't have any impact and all we got in the end is Garrosh 2.0?
    Did I miss something here? Was something scrapped out of the game or just not completed at all?
    I don't see any suitable conslusion for those who chose to side with Sylvanas, and now with Nathanos' death there surely be none coming.

You sided with Sylvanas. You were given that choice many times.

And you were forsaken by her, like literally 99% of every other creature who remained loyal to her (she will betray Nathanos too).

That is a suitable conclusion. Next time do not side with a genocidal psycho, because those kind of leaders do not tend to care about their subjects.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    You sided with Sylvanas. You were given that choice many times.

And you were forsaken by her, like literally 99% of every other creature who remained loyal to her (she will betray Nathanos too).

That is a suitable conclusion. Next time do not side with a genocidal psycho, because those kinds of leaders do not tend to care about their subjects.
    Way to miss the point. The thing is, why open the possibility of allying with her if the ending was going to be the same as the rebel choice? Oh, and spare me your morality lessons, I don't need the one Alleria fan in these boards to tell me that her sister is EvVVuUUulL.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Way to miss the point. The thing is, why open the possibility of allying with her if the ending was going to be the same as the rebel choice?
    Would you prefer if your character was stripped of all their items, achievements, titles, mounts, pets, gold, and abilities, and put into jail like every other Banshee loyalist?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

That is a suitable conclusion.
    If the conclusion is the same disregarding choices, what was the point of introducing them in the first place? To create an illusion of choice?

5+ Year Old Account
    Would you prefer if your character was stripped of all their items, achievements, titles, mounts, pets, gold, and abilities, and put into jail like every other Banshee loyalist?

Still missing the point, I see. That's what I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

No I want to get me some of that Sweet, Sweet Jailor power and then become a champion of Sylvanas as the new 3rd faction made up of all the Undead races of Azeroth that are against both alliance and horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    If the conclusion is the same disregarding choices, what was the point of introducing them in the first place? To create an illusion of choice?
    What illusion? Did you not complete the War Campaign up to patch 8.2.5? The Loyalist player actually DEFENDS Orgrimmar instead of attacking it, has the Warchief authorization to fly (everyone else is shot down), and spills the blood of Alliance and Horde rebels. Literally, the entire final questline is different for those who remained loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    No I want to get me some of that Sweet, Sweet Jailor power and then become a champion of Sylvanas as the new 3rd faction made up of all the Undead races of Azeroth that are against both alliance and horde.
    Nathanos does not get that power, Sira does not get that power, why would you?

What was the point of introducing branching in BFA war campaign questline if the choices don't have any impact and all we got in the end is Garrosh 2.0?
    Did I miss something here? Was something scrapped out of the game or just not completed at all?
    I don't see any suitable conslusion for those who chose to side with Sylvanas, and now with Nathanos' death there surely be none coming.
    I agree, kinda pissed me off because I was behind Sylvanas choices for the entire Xpac. Basically Take Kalimdor of the Horde and Let the Alliance have the EK.

What illusion? Did you not complete the War Campaign up to patch 8.2.5? The Loyalist player actually DEFENDS Orgrimmar instead of attacking it, has the Warchief authorization to fly (everyone else is shot down), and spills the blood of Alliance and Horde rebels. Literally, the entire final questline is different for those who remained loyal.
    Obviously the questline is different, but the outcome is still the same.

From a game dev point of view, not a lore one, yes. The point was to create the illusion of choice and see how the opportunity to make that choice was received. This had the hallmarks of a test. A nice little bit of "meaningless" flavor content that allowed Blizz to test the idea of split quest lines and locked cosmetic rewards.

In the short term, no your choice didn't matter. But in the long run, for Blizzard anyway, we may see this sort of thing expanded on later; however, don't know what conclusions they drew and we may never see it again.

Obviously the questline is different, but the outcome is still the same.
    If the outcome was not the same and the Loyalist PC actually suffered the consequences of their lack of judgement, you would be complaining about how harsh Blizzard is against you (since your PC would be thrown into jail).

Also, a major split in the questline is not caused by the illusion of a choice, but by an actual choice. If one player gets Questline A, and another gets Questline B, then those 2 players chose differently, and their choices had consequences. It is a fairly straightforward concept.

To show who's a simp and who isn't.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Post this thread again after Shadowlands in done because right now no one can answer that question except Blizzard and they aren't going to tell you.

You do not need to start with logic in this discussion. ALL the horde were Sylvanas loyalists (except very few rebels) and yet non of them were put in chains.

Better than being burned alive in some dumb tree.

- - - Updated - - -

Nathanos does not get that power, Sira does not get that power, why would you?
    Being 'the chosen one' by the literal planet god would be one reason.

There is one suitable conclusion: just because you want something to be so doesn't mean that it is actually so.

The option allows you to explore the story as Sylvanas' minion, up to and including the point where she dumps you like all the rest.

So congratulations, you've discovered the final answer: You are nothing to her, save perhaps a distraction as Nathanos was.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    You do not need to start with logic in this discussion. ALL the horde were Sylvanas loyalists (except very few rebels) and yet non of them were put in chains.
    Wrong. Many Banshee loyalists are being paraded around Orgrimmar. The new government does not accept people who do not forsake their former loyalties to Sylvanas. So you either renounce your loyalty to Sylvanas, or you are thrown into jail.

The PC chose option 1. Wise choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Better than being burned alive in some dumb tree.

- - - Updated - - -

Being 'the chosen one' by the literal planet god would be one reason.
    The Jailer does not care about your power level, he cares about your intentions.

Sylvanas was just a simple banshee, but he found her worthy of his power because he knew that her idealism would make her an easy pawn. The PC had, has, and will always have noble ideals, as they constantly fight bad guys to save Azeroth. Even the Sylvanas loyalists thought they were genuinely helping the Horde and its people.

You cannot play an evil character with evil ideals.

You will never be able to play an evil character with evil ideals. You can put in your TRP3 profile "evil psychopath who worships Sargeras", but Blizzard and the world around you will always treat you as a hero.

WoW never gave you the opportunity to play an evil character with evil ideals, and it never will.

Deal with it. Go play Swtor if you want to be a crazy villain.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-11-10 at 10:52 PM.

Wrong. Many Banshee loyalists are being paraded around Orgrimmar. The new government does not accept people who do not forsake their former loyalties to Sylvanas. So you either renounce your loyalty to Sylvanas, or you are thrown into jail.

The PC chose option 1. Wise choice.
    Not wrong at all. What the horde does is basically saying "whatever, we don't really care, let's just say we renounce her so the alliance shuts up" and everybody goes along with it. Many of the people in power are the same people that ordered or executed all the crimes that they blame now on Sylvanas.

If the games goes this route to throw away all realism, fair enough, but then we do not need to discuss logically on this topic.

it was a bone thrown at you and it was only put in to get people to shut up.
    the constant "play along" stuff should have made it clear blizzard hated Sylvanas loyalists.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor