Poll: The Best Playstation?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Best Playstation?

Hey everyone, so which playstation was the best and the most successful overall?

The reason I didn't put PS5 yet in the poll because it is still too early (even though it has a very good start with the Demon Souls remake and the compatibility of playing PS4 games but still too early to judge yet).

For me personally it is a tie between PS1 and PS2 with PS2 edging out more because it has a stronger and much better start.

PS3 was the weakest tbh it had some great games like Nier and the original Demon Souls and Dark Souls but still not enough and the internet issues that PS3 had didn't help either.

PS4 is great but I still think it is just a better PS3 overall...not as great as PS1 and PS2 imo.

NOTE: please mods fix the poll name of the Playstation 1 make it PS1 instead of my mistake the PS!
    Last edited by Velshin; 2020-11-13 at 03:17 PM.

The PS Vita was the best console ever.
    • Could comfortably fit in your pocket (unlike the 3DS or the Switch).
    • Could play PS1 games.
    • Came at the height of the late 2000's/early 2010's JRPG renaissance.
    • So you had a console with a huge library with the largest ratio of quality games.
    • You could stream games from your PS3 at home to your PS Vita while you were away.

We will never get a console as great as the PS Vita again.

Buy Vita consoles while you can.

- - - Updated - - -

If I had to pick a non PSP PS console, then it'd be the PS3, as it came at the time of the JRPG renaissance.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-11-13 at 04:01 PM.

PS1, that sound when turning the disc on, is still the best sound ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The PS Vita was the best console ever.
    • Could comfortably fit in your pocket (unlike the 3DS or the Switch).
    • Could play PS1 games.
    • Came at the height of the late 2000's/early 2010's JRPG renaissance.
    • So you had a console with a huge library with the largest ratio of quality games.
    • You could stream games from your PS3 at home to your PS Vita while you were away.

We will never get a console as great as the PS Vita again.

Buy Vita consoles while you can.

- - - Updated - - -

If I had to pick a non PSP PS console, then it'd be the PS3, as it came at the time of the JRPG renaissance.
    Holy moly man talk about weird taste my friend!

Vita? really? I mean it had some great games don't get me wrong but I do think PSP was the superior in term of quality games and library of games.

PS3 had some great games but if you want some great JRPG on the sony console? PS1 and PS2 had more tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    PS3 had some great games but if you want some great JRPG on the sony console? PS1 and PS2 had more tbh.
    IMO the PS2 was the dark age of JRPGs. It had very few quality JRPGs compared to the prior golden age during the PS1 and the succeeding renaissance that began during the PS3.

JRPG history
    • Bronze Age (circa 1987-1992): Dragon Quest I-III, Final Fantasy I-III, Ys 1 + 2, Phantasy Star
    • Silver Age (circa 1992-1996): Dragon Quest IV-VI, Final Fantasy IV-VI, Dragon Slayer, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, SAGA
    • Golden Age (circa 1997-2001): Dragon Quest VII, Final Fantasy VII-IX, FF Tactics, Legend of Heroes, Suikoden, Shenmue, Legend of Dragoon, Sakura Wars
    • Dark Age (circa 2001-2009): Final Fantasy X-XIII, Shadow Hearts
    • Renaissance (2007 onwards): Trails series, Atelier, Yakuza, Tales of, The Last Remnant, Valkyria Chronicles

FFXII is a fantastic JRPG but it can't carry the PS2 era all alone.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-11-13 at 04:16 PM.

From a sales perspective PS2 obviously. But the real breakthrough was the PSX.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO the PS2 was the dark age of JRPGs. It had very few quality JRPGs compared to the prior golden age during the PS1 and the succeeding renaissance that began during the PS3.

JRPG history
    • Bronze Age (circa 1987-1992): Dragon Quest I-III, Final Fantasy I-III, Ys 1 + 2, Phantasy Star
    • Silver Age (circa 1992-1996): Dragon Quest IV-VI, Final Fantasy IV-VI, Dragon Slayer, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, SAGA
    • Golden Age (circa 1997-2001): Dragon Quest VII, Final Fantasy VII-IX, FF Tactics, Legend of Heroes, Suikoden, Shenmue, Legend of Dragoon, Sakura Wars
    • Renaissance (2007 onwards): Trails series, Atelier, Yakuza, Tales of, The Last Remnant, Valkyria Chronicles

FFXII is a fantastic JRPG but it can't carry the PS2 era all alone.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!? Usually I agree with you buddy but not this time I am afraid

Ok let me get you the list of one of the best JRPGs ever in PS2 era then:

1- Xenosaga series (not as great as Xenogears but hell it was great).

2-Shadow Hearts 1&2 (the third game was shit)

3-Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

4-FFX

5-FFXII

6-Arc the Lad Twilight of Spirits (the voice acting in that game was bad but the game overall was excellent)

7-Dark Cloud 1&2 (specially the second game was excellent)

8-Disgaea 1&2

9-Dragon Quest VIII (while the story was simple like most of the DQ series but damn the gameplay was fantastic and fun)

10-Eternal Poison (pretty rare gem for sure)

11-Grandia II (not as great as the first Grandia but not bad at all)

12- Growlanser generation (one of the best JRPG in that era imo super epic story was compelling characters and serious stories)

13- Rogue Galaxy (another excellent JRPG)

I am pretty sure there are more but these are the ones I remember. I say these gems are way more than enough to carry the console in term of JRPG quality tbh.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2020-11-13 at 04:33 PM.

Playstation 1 was just mediocre and not that great. I still remember sitting in front of the TV hoping so badly that it will load the damn CD and only a very few games I really enjoyed.

Playstation 2 was the absolute king tho, the best console at that time by far. A ton of amazing games. The graphics that the console could pull off were amazing. 10/10 for me personally the best console ever created for its current time.

Playstation 3 was the worst of all Playstations, just look at the poll, people seem to agree. :P

I think the Playstation 4 is very close to the Playstation 2 and I still use it daily - so hyped for the PS5.
    Last edited by Clozer; 2020-11-13 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I am pretty sure there are more but these are the ones I remember.
    Persona 3 and 4, SMT Nocturne, Odin Sphere, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

PS2 was the best for me. I played my PS3 for a couple of years before I got a new PC and became more of a PC gamer. My PS4 became a Netflix machine instead of a gaming console. I'm not sure if I'll buy a PS5 maybe one day when they are a lot cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Persona 3 and 4, SMT Nocturne, Odin Sphere, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss.
    Indeed how can I forget the god damn Persona 4! and the awesome digital devil saga series!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Playstation 1 was just mediocre and not that great. I still remember sitting in front of the TV hoping so badly that it will load the damn CD and only a very few games I really enjoyed.

Playstation 2 was the absolute king tho, the best console at that time by far. A ton of amazing games. The graphics that the console could pull off were amazing. 10/10 for me personally the best console ever created for its current time.

Playstation 3 was the worst of all Playstations, just look at the poll, people seem to agree. :P

I think the Playstation 4 is very close to the Playstation 2 and I still use it daily - so hyped for the PS5.
    PS1 had a slow start for sure but after like 1996+ it exploded with so many great titles like the first Resident Evil and parasite eve and Silent Hill and much more.

PS3 was the kit that had the most potential, but ultimately never reached anywhere near what it should have had. Linux support was amazing. Until they killed it. The cell processor was incredible and way more powerful and versatile than something of the era should have been, but was an utter nightmare to code for. Despite being technically far ahead of the 360, so many stumbles and missteps just knocked it down.

I think the crown has to go to the PS2, just based on the incredible exclusives and the overall place in pop culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    PS3 was the kit that had the most potential, but ultimately never reached anywhere near what it should have had. Linux support was amazing. Until they killed it. The cell processor was incredible and way more powerful and versatile than something of the era should have been, but was an utter nightmare to code for. Despite being technically far ahead of the 360, so many stumbles and missteps just knocked it down.

I think the crown has to go to the PS2, just based on the incredible exclusives and the overall place in pop culture.
    Yup I still remember playing shadow of the colossus for the first time my jaw dropped of how great it was damn...

PS2 had:
    • Ratchet & Clank Series
    • Kingdom Hearts 1+2
    • Tekken 4 and 5
    • Bloody Roar
    • Dragon Ball Budokai 1 and 3
    • Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3
    • could play PS1 games
    • Final Fantasy 10
    • Devil May Cry 3
    • Dragon Quest 8

and many many more

while PS3 had like only
    • Tekken 6
    • Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Series
    • Assasins Creed
    • and some "HD remakes"

I know some will say ps3 had overall better games than ps2

but let's be honest: we will vote the one we grew up with and used the most time

for me it's 2>1>4>3

I may be mistaken but wasn't ps2 the first console with the ability to play DVDs?

10+ Year Old Account
    PS2 by far. Awesome games and huge upgrade to PS1 overall. Still the most sold console though one of the key reasons why PS2 was so popular was the fact that it could play DVD's and IIRC it was cheaper than DVD players in the beginning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    PS2 had:
    • Ratchet & Clank Series
    • Kingdom Hearts 1+2
    • Tekken 4 and 5
    • Bloody Roar
    • Dragon Ball Budokai 1 and 3
    • Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3
    • could play PS1 games
    • Final Fantasy 10
    • Devil May Cry 3
    • Dragon Quest 8

and many many more

while PS3 had like only
    • Tekken 6
    • Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Series
    • Assasins Creed
    • and some "HD remakes"

I know some will say ps3 had overall better games than ps2

but let's be honest: we will vote the one we grew up with and used the most time

for me it's 2>1>4>3

I may be mistaken but wasn't ps2 the first console with the ability to play DVDs?
    Nope not in my case because as I mentioned before I have been playing video games non stop since the 80s and I still say PS2 is the best overall playstation imo (I was in my early 20s during the ps2 era so no I wasn't a kid with full of nostalgia stuff).

Yup PS2 was the first console that can play DVD indeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    The PS2 is right behind the SNES in terms of best console for me. Also the small PS2 was everywhere. Even non-gamers were using it as a DVD player. This was back when people were putting TVs in their cars and the PS2 was often the DVD player because it was small, built well, and cheap.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The tales of series began in the 90s. They had a lot of them in your "dark ages." Did you not like those? I only played tales of destiny which I think was a ps1 title, still pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

PS2.

Lots of solid RPG's in both the Western and Eastern style as well as a lot of solid horror games. Graphics were generally decent as was game length. We didn't have an excess of microtransactions/DLC back then either.

PS3, first console I actually enjoyed.

PS2 had tons of issues, games were ok but nothing that I actually remember meaning no great games (no, my memory is better than vast majority of people, still remember amiga games, I even remember some turrican layouts, weapons and maps).