Thread: Devestator

Devestator

I am going to be maining a tank for the first time for an expansion and wanted to know what your thought on the row 15 talent devestator.

I started using it last night and it really smoothed out the rotation but not sure if it will be behind as the expansion goes on.

What’s your preferred build/talents?

When I saw Devastator in the 7.1.5 patch notes I was concerned. It looked so boring & uninvolved... And then I went on the PTR to test it, and found that it's anything but. I ended up with a more dynamic rotation than before, & found myself really, really enjoying it.

I've always felt it should be a toggle rather than a talent, though. Give people the option to use it (or not use it) at any time & let them play how they feel the class is best played.

devastator is the worst designed talent of all time. there is no reason for it to replace devastate. that being said its definitely the best and only in competition with punish

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    devastator is the worst designed talent of all time. there is no reason for it to replace devastate. that being said its definitely the best and only in competition with punish
    No, hammering a weak Devastate for Shield Slam procs is the worst. The worst talent/s would go to Menace or Never Surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammonoske View Post
    No, hammering a weak Devastate for Shield Slam procs is the worst. The worst talent/s would go to Menace or Never Surrender.
    having a button to always be able to press isnt a bad thing imo

Sure it is if that button does next to nothing and is only there to give you a false sense of engagement.

While I understand the benefits of devastator, I still cant seem to get in tune with the spec while using it. I played without it for so long, there is something about the timing of the rotation when using the devastate.
    I tried using devastator for this xpac as it looks like its more rage/dmg but I kept finding myself losing flow of the rotation. I dont know how to explain it. I went back to punish and it immediately felt smoother.

Devastator is great overall. both in gameplay and in being optimal.

The real problem is not the talent, but Devaste. Devaste used to apply sunder armor, so it at least had a mechanic. Now Its literally your auto-attack without the auto.

Lame basic spin animation.
    No damage.
    No Cleave threat generation.
    No rage generation.
    No fun mechanic.

Devaste feels like its punishing me for using it.

Devastator kinda feels more slowly at times, you won't always be pressing buttons when saving rage for some reason. so i agree with the "losing flow of the rotation", but that is a good thing, it actually gives you more room to think thru your next action. You can spend you rage more wisely between your defensive and ofensive spells.
    Signature was infraaaaaaaaaacted. Need a new one!

I would much rather spend my time/globals focusing on active mitigation, so it's a great talent IMO. I've got plenty going on as a tank so an empty global also isn't a problem.

As long as so many of our defensives are on the GCD it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    As long as so many of our defensives are on the GCD it is.
    doesn't this amount to only demo shout

Quote Originally Posted by Anuibus View Post
    Rallying cry too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuibus View Post
    Demo shout, Rallying Cry, and Victory Rush are all on the GCD, in addition to CC utility like Shockwave, Intimidating Shout, and even outside utility like Shattering Throw, Hamstring, and Heroic Throw.

Devastate (Along with Demon Hunter's Shear and Demon's Bite) are bad game design because they literally turn any usage of CC, utility, damage reduction, ect into an opportunity cost if that utility is also on the GCD (And most of it is). Devastator and Demon Blades removes that opportunity cost into a simple "Just be in melee range", whereas Fracture lowers the number of times that opportunity cost comes up (Only if both Fracture charges are up and you have to use something else instead).

Thus, the very existance of Devastate, Shear, and Demon's Bite lowers the overall value of every single other ability that those classes have.

Devastate is outdated and should just be removed. Demon Hunters should have Fracture baseline with Shear removed. I don't really know enough on Havoc to advocate either way for Demon's Bite vs Demon Blades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.