View Poll Results: Should we wipe gold?

Voters
621. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Wipe it all

    194 31.24%
  • No! Don’t touch my gold

    313 50.40%
  • Just limit it to a certain amount.

    114 18.36%
Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ...
8
16
17
18
19
20
28
... LastLast
  1. #341
    Either way, I'm actually surprised the poll is this even. I figured it would be more one-sided on one way or the other but it really isn't.

  2. #342
    TBC should come completely separated from Classic.

  3. #343
    I think every New Year's Day should come with a similar wipe. Everyone's wealth starts over from 0. Good idea guys , right?

  4. #344
    Classic means classic. They didn't wipe it when it launched before, why would they now?

  5. #345
    Quote Originally Posted by KayRule View Post
    Classic means classic. They didn't wipe it when it launched before, why would they now?
    Because people are weaker now. They think someone will get offended by being less wealthy than someone else so they have to come to the rescue. In reality, it doesn't matter at all and no one is actually victimized by wealth.

  6. #346
    If I had a vote, it would be "no". Each 'Classic' release should be it's own sandbox. A captured point in time that doesn't change. Classic servers aren't about expansion progression. That's what retail is. Classic servers are independent of each other and should not go away. If Classic Vanilla servers are dropped, then folks will just open up pirate Vanilla servers again.

    So to that end, copying gold feels wrong, since the player will still have it in their Classic server. The other problem is transferring all your gold to whatever character is being copied, which creates all of it's own problems.

    Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of copying Classic characters over. My current Classic Vanilla characters are just that, Classic Vanilla. I want them to remain there in case I ever have the urge to play Vanilla content again. So I wouldn't be upset if these servers are just kept completely separate and there's no transferring any account stuff from one to the other.

    "Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

  7. #347
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Because people are weaker now. They think someone will get offended by being less wealthy than someone else so they have to come to the rescue. In reality, it doesn't matter at all and no one is actually victimized by wealth.
    Yeah. Easy to say that shit now but if the current inflation carries over to TBC then there will be two types of players: Those who can afford shit (because they horded it from Classic) and those who can't do anything because they're a new or returning player. The ex-Classic players will fail to see anything wrong with the economy because they got theirs (new/returning players should pull themselves up by the bootstraps!) and everybody else will see the stupid amounts of inflation and do the only thing they can do to voice their concern: Quit. But hey -- you really stuck it to the carebears so good going!
    Last edited by otaXephon; 2020-11-28 at 04:54 AM.

  8. #348
    High Overlord vincink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    face.eat(cheese)
    Posts
    120
    Not sure where the inkling of this comes from. What problem is supposed to be solved by zeroing out everyone's gold? This would have a dramatic effect if, say, quest givers were also zeroed out, meaning quests didn't pay out any copper/silver/gold; or if the auction house fee were inflated to some extremely high value; or crafting rares and epics included a substantial fee to actually craft. The only way to slow down earning gold is to greatly reduce the economic functions of the World of Warcraft economy. However, if all economic activity were severely reduced and all gold reduced to zero for players in one instant, that does not remove the possibility that a group of very wealthy players would rise to the "top" of the economic heap. It just makes it harder and guarantees that group to be smaller.

    Economic success in WoW is a product of information and time invested with said information (e.g. "I know that crafting material _____ is farmable at ______ and is quite rare but valuable for creating _____ which is highly desired among players. Therefore, I can sell crafting material _______ for a high price or it's already selling at a high price. I have much time today/this week/this month/all the time to farm crafting material _______ and sell it for a high price.") The more you invest, the more you earn. Resetting gold to zero just brings everyone back to the starting line. But some players have Lamborghini levels of information and time availability while others have bicycle levels of either information or time availability (or both).

  9. #349
    Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post
    Not sure where the inkling of this comes from. What problem is supposed to be solved by zeroing out everyone's gold? This would have a dramatic effect if, say, quest givers were also zeroed out, meaning quests didn't pay out any copper/silver/gold; or if the auction house fee were inflated to some extremely high value; or crafting rares and epics included a substantial fee to actually craft. The only way to slow down earning gold is to greatly reduce the economic functions of the World of Warcraft economy. However, if all economic activity were severely reduced and all gold reduced to zero for players in one instant, that does not remove the possibility that a group of very wealthy players would rise to the "top" of the economic heap. It just makes it harder and guarantees that group to be smaller.

    Economic success in WoW is a product of information and time invested with said information (e.g. "I know that crafting material _____ is farmable at ______ and is quite rare but valuable for creating _____ which is highly desired among players. Therefore, I can sell crafting material _______ for a high price or it's already selling at a high price. I have much time today/this week/this month/all the time to farm crafting material _______ and sell it for a high price.") The more you invest, the more you earn. Resetting gold to zero just brings everyone back to the starting line. But some players have Lamborghini levels of information and time availability while others have bicycle levels of either information or time availability (or both).
    That's the problem: Lamborghini drivers are fucking assholes. And if gold is carried over, you'd just have a bunch of smug Lamborghini drivers intentionally driving on the sidewalk to hit your bicyclists because, again, they're assholes and in their minds "fuck those bicyclists, if they were real people they'd have gone back in time and got a Lamborghini while they still could."

  10. #350
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    One path
    Posts
    4,202
    Yes, they'll accompany it with the implementation of the token system.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

  11. #351
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Yes, they'll accompany it with the implementation of the token system.
    Classic purists will hate it but a Classic token would be about the only way I could see gold from Classic carrying over into TBC without the impact of inflation having a severe negative impact on the new/returning player experience.

  12. #352
    Brewmaster czarek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    zug zug
    Posts
    1,295
    Theres no be wipe i bet. Just copy classic character to new serwer dedicated tbc.

  13. #353
    Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    Either way, I'm actually surprised the poll is this even. I figured it would be more one-sided on one way or the other but it really isn't.
    53-27% is even?

  14. #354
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    No, they shouldn't erase people's gold. what they should do is leave the classic servers alone, and open two different TBC server types to transfer/copy.

    one server type lets you keep EVERYTHING. let the economy abusers keep their gold and play among themselves.

    other server type you can transfer to with only BoP items like gear, mounts, pets, etc so you can still keep everything of note you have earned in classic. no sellable items allowed with the transfer so economy starts fresh. cap the gold allowed to something reasonable, say 1000g or something.
    I’m not interested in the slightest since I’m avoiding Classic like a plague, but how many Classic servers are there at the moment?

    You are basically suggesting a x3 servers number for TBC.

    Giving that today’s hw is not 2006 hw, they would have a lot more servers to maintain. Will this be affordable?

  15. #355
    Should Shadowlands have come with a goldwipe?

  16. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuvio View Post
    Should Shadowlands have come with a goldwipe?
    I see your point, but Retail situation is different, because making gold in Retail is far faster than in TBC.

    For example even being completely new to the game, today you can hit level 30 and buy the 150% flying mount without having basically done anything apart from questing and vendoring greys/greens to vendors.

    I bet that by the time you are 60 you can easily buy the 280% speed mount with zero effort apart from, again, leveling.

    The last time I leveled a char 1-120 I dinged 120 with something like 10k+ gold, skipping every profession. 10k was more than enough to do whatever you liked, given that buying gear from AH was useless and there were/are a ton of catch up mechanisms.

    Back then I had a lot of friends stuck for months without the 280% speed because they did not want to waste ages of their time to farm gold in whatever way (and I myself had it only because I’ve been brave enough to buy golds from a Chinese website).

    Also, Vanilla richest chars had probably a fraction of the gold today Classic richest chars have, and they were way way way way way fewer. I had something like 10k gold (bought of course) when I started TBC and I was by far the richest dude in the guild (we were a standard raiding guild, not the best, not the worst).
    Last edited by chiddie; 2020-11-28 at 01:42 PM.

  17. #357
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Yeah. Easy to say that shit now but if the current inflation carries over to TBC then there will be two types of players: Those who can afford shit (because they horded it from Classic) and those who can't do anything because they're a new or returning player. The ex-Classic players will fail to see anything wrong with the economy because they got theirs (new/returning players should pull themselves up by the bootstraps!) and everybody else will see the stupid amounts of inflation and do the only thing they can do to voice their concern: Quit. But hey -- you really stuck it to the carebears so good going!
    Ok I'm convinced. Let's delete all of the gold created by all the players who actually play the game.

  18. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Ok I'm convinced. Let's delete all of the gold created by all the players who actually play the game.
    Both "factions" have a valid point.

    One thing stays true: Vanilla and TBC gold values were not set that way by Blizzard thinking that there would have been many people with tons of gold. As i wrote before, i started TBC with 10k gold (chinese gold) and i was by far the richest guy not only in my guild but also in my in-game frends' circle (about 100 people).

  19. #359
    Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    In comparison to actual vanilla and tbc, yes, they are. People are casually walking around with tens of thousands of gold dropping it like nothing in gdkp runs. Allowing this type of gold to transition into tbc will wreak it from day 1
    Weill, ok. If you say so. I guess Blizzard managed to f*ck up "classic" as well then. Good thing I don't subscribe.

  20. #360
    Pretty pathetic ventures from a lot of the people who want to "keep" their gold "going into" TBC.

    I'll try one, here goes....

    "No U, hahahahahaha!"

    Anyway, copying characters over or "upgrading" Classic servers to TBC would be polar opposite of the design intent for Classic. They explicitly said they don't want two versions of the game running alongside each other. So I think they'll let you keep your gold. On Classic.

    Want to play TBC? Roll on the TBC servers and start from lvl 1. You'll get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We can't pass the Magna Carta! That's socialism!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    How can you NOT give anything a gun? Freedom? Liberty? Where are your Freeberties?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •