Poll: Should we wipe gold?

Page 1 of 45
... LastLast

Should TBC come with a gold wipe? Why or why not?

Just curious to see what the numbers are on what people think should be done about gold on tbc, if anything at all.

No because there's no reason to.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    No because there's no reason to.
    I voted yes, there’s plenty of reasons tbh

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes because it punishes everyone who didn't play classic. I know people will say "Well that's how it was back in the day" but that's not the point of classic. People who have established financial power will still reign supreme in TBC classic unless gold is wiped. People should be able to copy their characters over with their gear, but gold should be restricted. I think people who transfer their characters should get enough gold so that they can afford the first rank of flying, but other than that, everyone should be on the same level for the most part.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Yes because it punishes everyone who didn't play classic. I know people will say "Well that's how it was back in the day" but that's not the point of classic. People who have established financial power will still reign supreme in TBC classic unless gold is wiped. People should be able to copy their characters over with their gear, but gold should be restricted. I think people who transfer their characters should get enough gold so that they can afford the first rank of flying, but other than that, everyone should be on the same level for the most part.
    I'd tend to agree, but only if going to TBC is an optional copy.

If they force every server over and classic ceases to exist, only TBC classic, then that's a different ballgame for me. For many people, there wasn't much to do in classic, so for whatever reason, they farmed gold. You can say what you want, but that effort was put in, and it should carry over - if people don't like it, then they should've farmed too.

If it's an optional copy, and that optional copy wipes the gold, then fine. You can say "you grinded gold in classic, and you have the choice to keep that gold in classic."

Until the farmers and the AH moguls come out ahead again.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    Until the farmers and the AH moguls come out ahead again.
    In my eyes the ‘being ahead’ isn’t the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because people who've made gold and saved it for things they know are in TBC (epic flight, etc), would be screwed.

The only people who want this are the losers who can't or won't make some gold. And no, I don't play the AH etc, but I still have 1500 gold or so.

PS: "gold wipe" means to zero it out or very very close, e.g. 50g. If you mean anything else, you're using the wrong term.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes because it punishes everyone who didn't play classic. .
    You want the punish the people who DID play because you chose not to? You made your choice, you should deal with the consequences of that choice, not me or others.

And did gold wipe when TBC was released originally? No? But "that punishes the people who didnt play vanilla!!!"

You make your choice, you deal with the result.

No, stop trying to punish others, because you didn't earn enough gold to buy all the shit you want.

People who have established financial power will still reign supreme in TBC classic unless gold is wiped.
    If you think they won't just re-establish themselves after the wipe, you're delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    No, because people who've made gold and saved it for things they know are in TBC (epic flight, etc), would be screwed.

The only people who want this are the losers who can't or won't make some gold. And no, I don't play the AH etc, but I still have 1500 gold or so.

PS: "gold wipe" means to zero it out or very very close, e.g. 50g. If you mean anything else, you're using the wrong term.

- - - Updated - - -

You want the punish the people who DID play because you chose not to? You made your choice, you should deal with the consequences of that choice, not me or others.

And did gold wipe when TBC was released originally? No? But "that punishes the people who didnt play vanilla!!!"

You make your choice, you deal with the result.
    This. Couldn't have said it better. Only poor, unsuccessful classic people want the gold wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainyhealz View Post
    This. Couldn't have said it better. Only poor, unsuccessful classic people want the gold wipe.
    Please dude lol. I can go to any website and spend a measly $200 and be set for all of tbc. The issue isn’t not having the gold, the issue is what that amount of gold brought into the game will do to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    Please dude lol. I can go to any website and spend a measly $200 and be set for all of tbc. The issue isn’t not having the gold, the issue is what that amount of gold brought into the game will do to it.
    Please dude, by your example, couldn't you just spend your "measly" money amount and keep up with the economy ? Arguing with yourself here now.

They should have level 58 pre made characters, classic should be totally separate, no transfers.

I mean wtf? I play 5 hours/week and only farm ZG for bloodvine and other herbs and I'm made 14k easy and that just in last few months (since April).
    Now I'm on 1.7k ( why not 14k is because I trade it for retail gold}

And saying it punishes deryone who didn't played classic is beyond stupid because tbc was expansion in which you could make thousands starting from 0 in few weeks..... Hell you can have epic flying mount with less effort than I took you to farm gold for 100% mount in vanilla

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    What issues are you talking about? I mean it can't be worse than it is now with multiboxers ( well when there were a lot of them) destroying economy, garrisons giving 100ks with 5min investing into game and from.mobile phone...

Same as discussing wiping gold for shadowlands from bfa. Dumb discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Rainyhealz View Post
    Please dude, by your example, couldn't you just spend your "measly" money amount and keep up with the economy ? Arguing with yourself here now.
    Nope, not when tbc is all about static massive gold sinks that also completely alter how you play the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    I mean wtf? I play 5 hours/week and only farm ZG for bloodvine and other herbs and I'm made 14k easy and that just in last few months (since April).
    Now I'm on 1.7k ( why not 14k is because I trade it for retail gold}

And saying it punishes deryone who didn't played classic is beyond stupid because tbc was expansion in which you could make thousands starting from 0 in few weeks..... Hell you can have epic flying mount with less effort than I took you to farm gold for 100% mount in vanilla

- - - Updated - - -

What issues are you talking about? I mean it can't be worse than it is now with multiboxers ( well when there were a lot of them) destroying economy, garrisons giving 100ks with 5min investing into game and from.mobile phone...
    I've written this before so I'll try to be quick with this while still making my point.

As of right now, the average person is sitting on thousands of gold. Go into any random GDKP run and you will see people bidding 10-30 thousand gold on hot ticket items as we speak. What this means, is when hot ticket items or something that is really scarce but valuable in the AH or out in the world, that price is going to match what the 'average' player can afford.

Let me use a couple of examples. Back when classic launched, when the edge masters grieves dropped you could sell them for about 400-700g. A good price back then. You could realistically go out and farm that gold by yourself in a couple days and buy them if you were a fresh level 60. The price it goes for now is anywhere from 3-7k depending on the server. At the very start this price would have been almost IMPOSSIBLE to hit without going EXTREMELY deep into gold farming. This is also shown with how expensive prices were for items back in the real vanilla compared to today, almost everything is at least doubled if not blown through the roof. This is because of inflation and how much gold we have.

Okay I explained this to show you the issues with going into TBC with this amount of inflation.

Let's say you start the game off in TBC with no gold from classic. You hit end level. The MAIN way to make gold (at least back then) was through dailies. Dailies net you around 10ish gold (it varies) so the average person can make like 200ish gold per day off of them. Prices can be so inflated to the point where dailies are not realistically a viable way for you to farm gold now. If prices of one gem, or one primal is at 100g each, or god forbid even higher like 200g, then it is going to take you months and months of farming dailies to get to the point where you can purchase some of these items yourself.

Okay, so for a new player dailies won't be as valuable of a gold farm, so what do you do? You sell things on the AH for those crazy prices. But in order to farm these things you are going to be competing...a lot.... in order to mine/herb/farm motes you are going to have to be quick. But if you are a fresh character you know you will barely be able to afford your standard 60% flyer. Meanwhile everyone who farmed in classic is going to be sitting pretty on that 280% flyer mount.

A new player is just simply not going to be able to compete for nodes on their server flying around on a 60% speed. Not to even mention the amount of bots that will taking over the primal farms but that's a different discussion to be had.

Basically this almost suffocates a new player out of almost all of their farming capabilities simply because they didn't want to participate in a version of a game they didn't like. Dailies will be a waste of time if you can only purchase a single or even half an item a day that you need (some classes need upwards of 200-250 primals to get a full crafted set). Farming them yourself will also be hell moving at a staggering 220% slower flying speed. Honestly the only option to even remain relevant at that point is to buy gold illegally to get epic flyer so you can at least farm semi-decently.

Now if you wipe the gold this issue will be irrelevant until we get to a stage in the game where we are now with people running around on average of a couple thousand. But at that point, the people who wanted to play tbc will likely already be caught up enough to a point where they might have already replaced all their crafted gear and it is no longer an issue

I don’t necessarily want there to be a connection between characters on classic and tbc classic at all, I don’t want to lose my characters in Classic and I want tbc Classic to be a complete reroll server (or rather, multiple).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I don’t necessarily want there to be a connection between characters on classic and tbc classic at all, I don’t want to lose my characters in Classic and I want tbc Classic to be a complete reroll server (or rather, multiple).
    and that will never happen because a huge percentage of people who played classic and leveled multiple toons would simply say 'fuck it' and quit.

No, they shouldn't erase people's gold. what they should do is leave the classic servers alone, and open two different TBC server types to transfer/copy.

one server type lets you keep EVERYTHING. let the economy abusers keep their gold and play among themselves.

other server type you can transfer to with only BoP items like gear, mounts, pets, etc so you can still keep everything of note you have earned in classic. no sellable items allowed with the transfer so economy starts fresh. cap the gold allowed to something reasonable, say 1000g or something.