Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pit Lord
    The way the Stimulus talks are breaking down really highlights why Mitch didn't want to do any hearings about it before the election, because I can't imagine 'Republicans are really adamant about the American Taxpayer getting paid in table scraps!' would've helped them in a lot of their down ballot races.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    That’s nice dear, but it isn’t really relevant to the fact that you’re trying to blame the Democrats for everything as usual regardless of how factual it is.

Especially when the real outrage is that even 2k is a pretty pathetic amount.
    over this past six months, we'd have ideally been receiving monthly payments. But it took our braindead government this long just for a "half" payment to finally be negotiated. And, in the public hurrah of that finally happening, some committee slapped together the biggest (in pages) spending bill in our nation's history to pass along with it. Trump's threat to veto it doesn't really mean much in the long run since the bill passed with a veto-proof majority, even though it's funny to see which congressmen are shit talking the bill now even after they voted yes on passing it. Will it re-pass congress to override the veto? Hopefully, since it's a lot of people's jobs that are on the line with that money.

So let's talk more about this particular stimulus. The Cares Act passed and was signed into law on March 27th. The Heroes Act, a "second stimulus," passed the house on May 15th. The republicans in the senate didn't agree with much of what was in this bill, because it was just as laden with pork as the spending bill that we've all been talking about. So, they've literally been negotiating since to get to this 900 billion deal.

May
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December

That's a lot of fuckin months with no deal. Pretty pathetic when you think about it. That's why I call both parties in Washington deadbeat shitheads who need to be voted out. It's clear the people of America have needed help for far longer than just right at Christmas time, but it took them this long?

Are you sad that your democrats are not blameless in this situation? I'm sad that our government can't come together in even the most dire of situations to get shit done. Maybe with Biden in office things will change.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    The republicans in the senate didn't agree with much of what was in this bill, because it was just as laden with pork as the spending bill that we've all been talking about.
    The only thing changed yesterday, that GOP blocked, is increasing payments from 600 to 2k. 12 million people will lose unemployment tomorrow. What “pork” were republicans rejecting?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sad that your democrats are not blameless in this situation? I'm sad that our government can't come together in even the most dire of situations to get shit done. Maybe with Biden in office things will change.
    I’m sad that propaganda works... the reason they get away with it, is because we ignore who is responsible, in favor of both sides bullshit.

Unemployment is done for 12 million in less than 24 hours... Social Security has been defunded since September. It seems like government agreed... short of one ass hole golfing at his own golf course.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    So.... how far did you guys get into the 5,000 page yearly omnibus spending bill before realizing ya'll got rick rolled?
    Can you elaborate on this? I see a bunch people on FB getting pissed about how it's not covid relief.

- - - Updated - - -

5,000 pages? I eagerly await the youtube videos breaking down the spending of this bill, because it's gonna be comical.
    This is how you get misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The only thing changed yesterday, that GOP blocked, is increasing payments from 600 to 2k. 12 million people will lose unemployment tomorrow. What “pork” were republicans rejecting?
    The Heroes act, passed by Democrats in May, which was the basis for this stimulus passed in December. It was negotiated down to this bill. Over the course of 8 months.

I’m sad that propaganda works... the reason they get away with it, is because we ignore who is responsible, in favor of both sides bullshit.

Unemployment is done for 12 million in less than 24 hours... Social Security has been defunded since September. It seems like government agreed... short of one ass hole golfing at his own golf course.
    Propaganda is an effective tool, and always has been. See, for most of Trump's presidency, I could have pointed at much of what he did, as misguided as it was and said that at least he was trying, he just doesn't know what he's doing. Now? He's literally just gonna put so many people potentially out on the streets, just to make a political point. We're done with the negotiations. What help is here needs to be given out, even if the bill sucks. We can vote out the people who wrote it later. He needs to do his job and pass it. Like I said, maybe with Biden in office things will be different.

oh, quick edit: yesterday I saw a fucking Trump ad on tv telling people to call in to their congressmen and protest the election. The shit isn't over. Like, what's he gonna get a bunch of people to suddenly get the elected officials to break the law and let him continue being president?
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

The Heroes act, passed by Democrats in May, which was the basis for this stimulus passed in December. It was negotiated down to this bill. Over the course of 8 months.
    12 million people are losing unemployment as of today and this is your post... you don’t give a shit...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

12 million people are losing unemployment as of today and this is your post... you don’t give a shit...
    Actually I do. But there's not much that any of us can do about it, beyond complain about it. All we can do is vote out the fucks that did it to us. The democrats and republicans that took this long to come up with the bill, and the president for refusing to sign it. One of those has already been done though.

The democrats and republicans that took this long to come up with the bill, and the president for refusing to sign it.
    It took so long because benefits to American people were being denied. The plan that Trump is refusing to sign, is the very bill that his administration pushed. Blaming both sides, when it’s been very clear who was arguing for more benefits to American people, is a joke. Oh I got it... why didn’t democrats mind control republicans and Trump, to force them to negotiate in good faith?

For democrats to go faster with the bill, what should they have conceded to Trump and/or Republicans, beyond what they already did?

It took so long because benefits to American people were being denied. The plan that Trump is refusing to sign, is the very bill that his administration pushed. Blaming both sides, when it’s been very clear who was arguing for more benefits to American people, is a joke. Oh I got it... why didn’t democrats mind control republicans and Trump, to force them to negotiate in good faith?

For democrats to go faster with the bill, what should they have conceded to Trump and/or Republicans, beyond what they already did?

They had to basically give a trillion dollars worth of liability insurance to corporations no matter what they did to their employees and customers! Would have cost taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars in future healthcare cost and disability/SS payments.

They had to cut unemployment to 0.0 extra, for most people.

They had to remove the food stamps bump in benefits. No extra payments for Healthcare covid related expenses. No USPS help, but trillions for corporations making billions.

They had to remove funding help for states and their residents, even though those very residents are the ones paying the federal taxes. Even though the majority of the money per capita would have gone to "red" states not to bail out "poorly run blue states"
    Cause god forbid democratically run states get more than a 80 cents for every dollar they pay in like the bottom 35 red states have been getting for decades. some $2-2.50-3.50 for every dollar.

But hey both sides right?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Pit Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    They had to basically give a trillion dollars worth of liability insurance to corporations no matter what they did to their employees and customers! Would have cost taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars in future healthcare cost and disability/SS payments.

They had to cut unemployment to 0.0 extra, for most people.

They had to remove the food stamps bump in benefits. No extra payments for Healthcare covid related expenses. No USPS help, but trillions for corporations making billions.

They had to remove funding help for states and their residents, even though those very residents are the ones paying the federal taxes. Even though the majority of the money per capita would have gone to "red" states not to bail out "poorly run blue states"
    Cause god forbid democratically run states get more than a 80 cents for every dollar they pay in like the bottom 35 red states have been getting for decades. some $2-2.50-3.50 for every dollar.

But hey both sides right?
    I mean, shit, why bother even paying taxes if the Government isn't going to use that money to support its taxpayers?

...Oh god I'm becoming Libertarian, help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    I mean, shit, why bother even paying taxes if the Government isn't going to use that money to support its taxpayers? ...Oh god I'm becoming Libertarian, help me.
    I had something of a self-dialogue about wasting my money paying into unemployment a while back...and wondered if I too was becoming Libertarian... I felt dirty...had to shower after that.

Pandaren Monk
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    I mean, shit, why bother even paying taxes if the Government isn't going to use that money to support its taxpayers?

...Oh god I'm becoming Libertarian, help me.
    You are not.
    You are realizing that the social contract isn't being fullfilled and ought to bring out the gioutine.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    You are not.
    You are realizing that the social contract isn't being fullfilled and ought to bring out the gioutine.
    I prefer pinataism. It's less messy.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    You are not.
    I mean the social contract is traditionally just protection but I get it. The social contract is to stop bandits from burning down and looting your home though arguably they failed at that to this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I mean the social contract is traditionally just protection but I get it. The social contract is to stop bandits from burning down and looting your home though arguably they failed at that to this year.
    There were bandits during the massive California wild fires, that destroyed 1000s of homes?

There were bandits during the massive California wild fires, that destroyed 1000s of homes?
    Nah the blm looters of course.

The Bureau of Land Management has Looters?
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

It’s not environmental changes, due to climate change, that are burning 1000s of homes across the world, per year... it’s the looters? What?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    The Bureau of Land Management has Looters?
    Did they steal all the raking equipment? Since, that’s Trump’s solutions to towns burning down in wild fires.

My caption: Everything is fine... have you heard of those looters?

It’s not environmental changes, due to climate change, that are burning 1000s of homes across the world, per year... it’s the looters? What?

- - - Updated - - -

Did they steal all the raking equipment? Since, that’s Trump’s solutions to towns burning down in wild fires.
    Obviously the first thing looters go for is lawn care tools. No rakes and no hoses means those fires raged out of control!

/s

So, Trump's $2,000 was bait for his position on Section 230 and a voter fraud witch hunt.

Just more dumdum populism. Trump’s veto bargaining strategy on the Omnibus/COVID bill is both a masterclass in how not to use the powers of the POTUS to influence public policy, as well as exemplary of his entire debacle of a legislative presidency.

1. refuse to engage publicly for months.
    2. watch a supermajority pass a bill.
    3. forcefully threaten to veto it unless demands met.
    4. back down and sign it; look weak.

The whole point of electing someone to "shake things up".

What a country!

Take the $600 and let Biden mop up in 3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

One party believes the government should help the poor and vulnerable.
    One party is basically, Got Mine, Fuck You.

US House passes bill that would increase Covid stimulus payments from $600 to $2,000 by 275-134 vote, needing two-thirds majority to pass.