Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/AP/status/1341184951090352128?s=19

This will turn out horrible. I can't remember but Congressman when interviewed replied in a joking, but true statement they never read the bills.

So stating again Dems are no angels, but we will see what the Republicans have hidden in the bill. Yes, the 3 martini lunch tax break has been mentioned.
    Another provision that's surfaced - even if we knew of its existence for a week - is one where you could become slapped with Felony Charges if you receive a DMCA claim on a video/stream. And while individuals claim that it's mostly to punish folks who use other people's music to make money and allow smaller IP holders to more easily receive compensation when their IPs are used, that's operating under the assumption that massive corporations haven't been abusing draconian copyright laws for decades to fuck people over.

This will turn out horrible. I can't remember but Congressman when interviewed replied in a joking, but true statement they never read the bills.

So stating again Dems are no angels, but we will see what the Republicans have hidden in the bill. Yes, the 3 martini lunch tax break has been mentioned.
    It's sad that this bill is the best we get after six fucking months of negotiation. Another "we gotta pass it to see what's in it" situation, only both parties have backed up the trucks filled with pig entrails to load it up with pork. Wonder exactly how much this bill is spending on Covid and how much is spent on other stuff. This year has taught me one thing. When the chips are down and our leaders absolutely need to get something done, they are completely inept and will resort to backstabbing, pet project negotiations, and stonewalling just to make a point. And, they all got voted back in.

5,000 pages? I eagerly await the youtube videos breaking down the spending of this bill, because it's gonna be comical.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

This remains a problem, just as it was when Republicans passed the tax cut they hadn't even read.

I get it, time is a factor. But let's remember who came to the negotiating table at the last second and helped contribute towards this rushed bullshit.

I ain't gonna say that Democrats voting on it without reading are free of blame here, they're not, nor is the leadership that's rushing to get this passed. But Democrats had bills months ago and this could have been done long before it could be used by anyone as an electoral issue.

There really needs to be a law that lawmakers be required to have a week to review legislation, which is made public, before a vote is called. I hate that we need to legislate such basic shit as this, but apparently that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This remains a problem, just as it was when Republicans passed the tax cut they hadn't even read.

I get it, time is a factor. But let's remember who came to the negotiating table at the last second and helped contribute towards this rushed bullshit.

I ain't gonna say that Democrats voting on it without reading are free of blame here, they're not, nor is the leadership that's rushing to get this passed. But Democrats had bills months ago and this could have been done long before it could be used by anyone as an electoral issue.

There really needs to be a law that lawmakers be required to have a week to review legislation, which is made public, before a vote is called. I hate that we need to legislate such basic shit as this, but apparently that's the case.
    The thing is, lawmakers are kind of put there to do that kind of crap. They have staff for it, and they've had this many months to know what would be in the bill, minus whatever last minute deals were made. The funny thing, is that unless a bill is for classified stuff, most bills are public record. So we have the ability to just go read them. Unfortunately most Americans are too lazy to do it, hence why our leaders are also too lazy.

I'd be interested to see what other countries have to deal with as far as "not reading the legislation that is being passed", like what is their equivalent to that. Like, it was kind of interesting to see Boris Johnson in front of Parliament the first time on TV, but after that it just started to look like another Trump rally.
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

@Fincayra. Yes, the problem is the eff around and then cause nothing is done they just pass a bill that can be filled. This is where we piss off most of the masses and the people that vote. But again, the problem is they vote what 90% of the time for their incumbent. So let's keep the Mitch McConnell focused and say the majority of Kentuckians will never vote this guy out. Having the (R) beside him is huge, but not seeing McConnell is destroying the nation as a whole, should be a reason no to re-elect.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    So.... how far did you guys get into the 5,000 page yearly omnibus spending bill before realizing ya'll got rick rolled?
    Government Affiliated Snark

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/24/hous...orts-them.html

Democrats in the house are trying to pass a 2k check instead of 600. So basically they're trying to bribe us with some of our own money to shut up about the spending bill. And, of course, the republicans plan to block it. So, i don't really know who the bad guys are here. Still gonna go with both...

Except the extra special bad guy: from the story, If Trump does not sign the legislation in the coming days, about 12 million people would lose unemployment benefits on Saturday, and the government would shut down on Tuesday. So perfect way to end the year, right? Trump shutdown 2.0. Great way to say farewell to the country.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Trump himself asked for $2k to be sent to people, instead of $600. Democrats are just jumping on that to get people more support that is desperately needed.

Who is the bad guy here? I think it should be pretty bloody obvious.
    yep, it's all in the article

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Democrats in the house are trying to pass a 2k check instead of 600. So basically they're trying to bribe us with some of our own money to shut up about the spending bill. And, of course, the republicans plan tto block it
    If that's how you want to see it... Personally I prefer to think of it as returning some of my tax money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Democrats in the house are trying to pass a 2k check instead of 600. So basically they're trying to bribe us with some of our own money to shut up about the spending bill. And, of course, the republicans plan to block it. So, i don't really know who the bad guys are here. Still gonna go with both...
    They already passed a 600$ stimulus, but Trump vetoed it, saying 2k is needed for him to sign it... with 2 days until unemployment ends.

I also find it interesting, that you think your own money being used to help you during a crisis, is a bribe. Does an ATM bribe you to get money out when you need it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If that's how you want to see it... Personally I prefer to think of it as returning some of my tax money.
    The unemployment extension from the first stimulus, ends tomorrow... This week was the last week to file unemployment.

Movement on new federal stimulus package has paused

A new stimulus package with changes and extensions for unemployment benefits passed Congress on Dec. 21. However, it has not yet been signed into law.

Sat. Dec. 26 is the latest it can be signed into law without affecting two benefit programs.

If the bill doesn’t become law on or before Saturday Dec. 26, Employment Security Department won’t be able to issue benefits for two federal programs the claim week ending Jan. 2:

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)
    Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)

Once the bill is signed, we'll send another update with more info about availability of benefits.

If you’re receiving PUA or PEUC benefits, keep filing your weekly claims.

The Employment Security Department continues preparing to implement these changes as quickly and smoothly as possible once they become law. We’re also tracking developments closely and sharing updates on our website and social media as they become available.

Next steps

Continue filing weekly claims - even if you've exhausted your claim.
    Watch for updates on esd.wa.gov/covid and messages in eServices.
    Avoid calling the unemployment claims center with questions - call volume remains high
    If you absolutely must call the claims center about another issue, we encourage calling in the afternoon to avoid early hours when our call volume is highest.

When we have specific information about next steps for our customers, we’ll be communicating directly via email and eServices.
    Edit: @Fincayra you know what’s even sadder? I ain’t getting the 600 or the 2k, yet seem to have less of an issue with this “bribe” than those that it’s supposed to help. My gf will get one, but I won’t... despite being furloughed for 4 months in the summer. I got the above email from unemployment, because I was filling on furlough. I thankfully, came back to work, before getting an extension on the “bribe” of unemployment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    That Republicans are clearly the "bad guys"? Good.
    It’s what I keep pointing out. The solution of republicans to save manufacturing and energy jobs, is to send our money through subsidies, to millionaire corporate goons. It’s the new, or I guess the 80s version, of helping the workers... you only earn anything, if it spills out of job creator’s pockets.

Remember the Trump GOP argument after their tax cut? Think of the bonus you get from work! Which shows the honest way to get money... you send it to rich people and let them choose how much of it you deserve as a bonus. Let’s call the amount they keep, as a fee for patting us on the head for a job well done.

- - - Updated - - -

So basically they're trying to bribe us with some of our own money to shut up about the spending bill.
    Don’t worry... GOP in the house just blocked voting on it... you get your way... GOP is too clever to let democrats bribe you, into ignoring the spending bill.

Might not have any money, but you still got yo pride of not being bribed by democrats... if only we had more republicans, to stand up to issues that matter to you most... like being bribed by democrats... live in a box, before that happens!!! Am I right? :/
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-12-24 at 02:35 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Don’t worry... GOP in the house just blocked voting on it... you get your way... GOP is too clever to let democrats bribe you, into ignoring the spending bill.

Might not have any money, but you still got yo pride of not being bribed by democrats... if only we had more republicans, to stand up to issues that matter to you most... like being bribed by democrats... live in a box, before that happens!!! Am I right? :/
    Yeah thank god, my pride is intact. The politicians I hate didn't bribe me, and the politicians I really hate blocked it. And, the politician who is really showing his true colors as his presidency winds down will block it all. GG America, huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah thank god, my pride is intact. The politicians I hate didn't bribe me, and the politicians I really hate blocked it. And, the politician who is really showing his true colors as his presidency winds down will block it all. GG America, huh?
    Wow, all those poor people in Seattle. They could have used that $2000. You threw them under the bus of bothsides super fast.

But no one really believed you cared. GG indeed. Life must be easy when you treat it like a vidya game.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    Wow, all those poor people in Seattle. They could have used that $2000. You threw them under the bus of bothsides super fast.

But no one really believed you cared. GG indeed. Life must be easy when you treat it like a vidya game.
    yeah, life is super easy. I only contemplate suicide daily, since i really don't have much to live for. And you're right. I don't care about politics in general. 2020 took my mom from me, and that was basically the only person who cared about me. Once I finally take enough of the daily pain from just living and kill myself, not a single fuck on the planet will miss me. So, my care involves showing that other people don't truly care either. Do you care about the people of Seattle? I doubt it. I doubt most of the homeless drug addicts are filing tax returns, so they wouldn't be receiving stimulus checks anyway. So, your bringing them up is just a strawman to attack. Nice try though.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, life is super easy. I only contemplate suicide daily, since i really don't have much to live for. And you're right. I don't care about politics in general. 2020 took my mom from me, and that was basically the only person who cared about me. Once I finally take enough of the daily pain from just living and kill myself, not a single fuck on the planet will miss me. So, my care involves showing that other people don't truly care either. Do you care about the people of Seattle? I doubt it. I doubt most of the homeless drug addicts are filing tax returns, so they wouldn't be receiving stimulus checks anyway. So, your bringing them up is just a strawman to attack. Nice try though.
    That’s nice dear, but it isn’t really relevant to the fact that you’re trying to blame the Democrats for everything as usual regardless of how factual it is.

Especially when the real outrage is that even 2k is a pretty pathetic amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The way the Stimulus talks are breaking down really highlights why Mitch didn't want to do any hearings about it before the election, because I can't imagine 'Republicans are really adamant about the American Taxpayer getting paid in table scraps!' would've helped them in a lot of their down ballot races.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    That’s nice dear, but it isn’t really relevant to the fact that you’re trying to blame the Democrats for everything as usual regardless of how factual it is.

Especially when the real outrage is that even 2k is a pretty pathetic amount.
    over this past six months, we'd have ideally been receiving monthly payments. But it took our braindead government this long just for a "half" payment to finally be negotiated. And, in the public hurrah of that finally happening, some committee slapped together the biggest (in pages) spending bill in our nation's history to pass along with it. Trump's threat to veto it doesn't really mean much in the long run since the bill passed with a veto-proof majority, even though it's funny to see which congressmen are shit talking the bill now even after they voted yes on passing it. Will it re-pass congress to override the veto? Hopefully, since it's a lot of people's jobs that are on the line with that money.

So let's talk more about this particular stimulus. The Cares Act passed and was signed into law on March 27th. The Heroes Act, a "second stimulus," passed the house on May 15th. The republicans in the senate didn't agree with much of what was in this bill, because it was just as laden with pork as the spending bill that we've all been talking about. So, they've literally been negotiating since to get to this 900 billion deal.

May
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December

That's a lot of fuckin months with no deal. Pretty pathetic when you think about it. That's why I call both parties in Washington deadbeat shitheads who need to be voted out. It's clear the people of America have needed help for far longer than just right at Christmas time, but it took them this long?

Are you sad that your democrats are not blameless in this situation? I'm sad that our government can't come together in even the most dire of situations to get shit done. Maybe with Biden in office things will change.

10+ Year Old Account
    The republicans in the senate didn't agree with much of what was in this bill, because it was just as laden with pork as the spending bill that we've all been talking about.
    The only thing changed yesterday, that GOP blocked, is increasing payments from 600 to 2k. 12 million people will lose unemployment tomorrow. What “pork” were republicans rejecting?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sad that your democrats are not blameless in this situation? I'm sad that our government can't come together in even the most dire of situations to get shit done. Maybe with Biden in office things will change.
    I’m sad that propaganda works... the reason they get away with it, is because we ignore who is responsible, in favor of both sides bullshit.

Unemployment is done for 12 million in less than 24 hours... Social Security has been defunded since September. It seems like government agreed... short of one ass hole golfing at his own golf course.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    So.... how far did you guys get into the 5,000 page yearly omnibus spending bill before realizing ya'll got rick rolled?
    Can you elaborate on this? I see a bunch people on FB getting pissed about how it's not covid relief.

- - - Updated - - -

5,000 pages? I eagerly await the youtube videos breaking down the spending of this bill, because it's gonna be comical.
    This is how you get misinformed.

The only thing changed yesterday, that GOP blocked, is increasing payments from 600 to 2k. 12 million people will lose unemployment tomorrow. What “pork” were republicans rejecting?
    The Heroes act, passed by Democrats in May, which was the basis for this stimulus passed in December. It was negotiated down to this bill. Over the course of 8 months.

I’m sad that propaganda works... the reason they get away with it, is because we ignore who is responsible, in favor of both sides bullshit.

Unemployment is done for 12 million in less than 24 hours... Social Security has been defunded since September. It seems like government agreed... short of one ass hole golfing at his own golf course.
    Propaganda is an effective tool, and always has been. See, for most of Trump's presidency, I could have pointed at much of what he did, as misguided as it was and said that at least he was trying, he just doesn't know what he's doing. Now? He's literally just gonna put so many people potentially out on the streets, just to make a political point. We're done with the negotiations. What help is here needs to be given out, even if the bill sucks. We can vote out the people who wrote it later. He needs to do his job and pass it. Like I said, maybe with Biden in office things will be different.

oh, quick edit: yesterday I saw a fucking Trump ad on tv telling people to call in to their congressmen and protest the election. The shit isn't over. Like, what's he gonna get a bunch of people to suddenly get the elected officials to break the law and let him continue being president?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Heroes act, passed by Democrats in May, which was the basis for this stimulus passed in December. It was negotiated down to this bill. Over the course of 8 months.
    12 million people are losing unemployment as of today and this is your post... you don’t give a shit...