Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Covenant for cutting edge raiders/mythic+

As the title suggest, I am interested in hearing your choices of covenant going into the new expansion.
    Im mostly interested in hearing from players going for mythic raiding and high m+ keys

What specc will you play?
    and
    What covenant?

Personally, I'm torn between going arcane + night fae OR frost/venthyr, frost/night fae.

What will be your choice?

Frost and Vent for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Here, you'll have all the information you need

https://cteer458.github.io/mage-sims/

Up to date sims for progression

It all seems covenant is a bit of a non-decision atm. They are going to change the balance slightly anyways come raids probably and they are all close to each other in terms of DPS. NF seems to be the highest simming atm for Fire and Arcane and it's not terrible for Frost and on AoE it's simming highest for frost. But at the same time Venthyr isn't far away for Fire and Arcane and it has a way better utility spell. NF may be a bit better for some specs than currently suggests(think Arcane APL isn't updated yet since NF change).

And about specs. It kinda seems like Fire is the go-to again. It has execute, movement in execute, now on demand AoE cleave(arguably better in Raids), only uses one legendary(arcane and frost need one for ST one for MT).. And it's doing almost the damage of Arcane in ST. Frost isn't far behind, but you sort of need another Mage to be Frost too and trade FM with each other to make it even with the other two specs in ST.

Am probably going NF fire myself though.

OT: For WF it's a bit shitty still though, you at least need to have 2 Mages if Frost proves better on some boss. Maybe even 3 cause getting a legendaries is going to be time gated.

Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    Here, you'll have all the information you need

Up to date sims for progression
    Do you have something like this for every class or just mages?

Going fire, so that if it turns out to be bad or gets nerfbat before mythic opening i can always switch to arcane without having to change covenant
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by Rullis View Post
    Frost and Vent for me
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Team View Post
    Same here
    Frost without pet and glacial spike is a braindead spec
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Like every other class in modern wow so yeah.

Well dinged 60 as fire and started doing some dailies to realize i was getting crushed by packs of 2 non-elite mobs and realized fire isn't playable with low crit (and low ilvl), dmg output outside combustion is beyond awful and switched to arcane
    Last edited by D3athsting; 2020-11-26 at 10:37 AM.
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©

I have the same struggle. My sources tell me frost and arcane are looking strong for high end content. I have a slight preference for frost but wouldn't mind playing arcane.

Though in my experience Arcane always seems to outscale frost later on with gear.

Nonetheless I think I will stick with frost in which case I would choose Venthir because they pull ahead in most situations, especially single target dmg. But Night Fae is also a good choice should I want to swap to Arcane or need more AOE dmg.

Hard choice really. Though aesthetically I am mostly drawn to Night Fae.

Edit: Glacial spike build is not meta for frost as far as I know but Thermal Void/Ice Lancing build is.
    Last edited by Celestraza; 2020-11-26 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Ask me if I care mate it's a game LOL

Went NF as arcane and currently rocking the dps meter in mm0.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Went NF as arcane and currently rocking the dps meter in mm0.
    Yes both ST and AOE are strong with arcane orb, resonance and NF signature spell
    Rogues are fine ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frost Ven. If frost is competitive I play it. Though I would imagine NF is better for those who like to swap specs.

For fire, from the guides I have seen none of them seem to consider to align the Kyrian ability and it's stacking (up to +40% without conduit) damage taken debuff with Combustion or for building an Ignite for AoE then cleave it onto the adds.

The Night Fae 10 secs (plus the extra fblast charges with Kindling) off your 120 sec CD main nuke ability and an AoE that you might not be able to utilize during raids isn't that enticing.

I wonder what logic the sims are using. Do they just activate the covenant abilites on CD?
    Last edited by Difuid; 2020-12-07 at 01:09 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Try this. It also has some future patch improvements. I don't guarantee it won’t change.

This is only for M+. But I’ve yet to see another build come even close to this.

NF with GF leggo.

Sim for AoE(5 bosses - 1min)

Have fun topping the meters every time on trash.

For those of you that are curious ab the build. Feel free to look me up on raider.io

Killyp-Zul’jin
    Last edited by Killyp; 2021-07-09 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added Character Profile Link

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JeckThron View Post
    Yes, there is this website: https://bloodmallet.com/

Patchwerk build is usually for raid unless the boss fight doesn't have adds.