Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Playing with multiple characters?

Does anyone actively play as more then one character?
    And if so, why do you play as different characters rather then only playing as one?

Any answer is appreciated, thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    There's always a favourable character I play the most, but I do ping pong between other characters.
    Mainly because I like more than just one class, and secondly it gives you insight in how other classes/roles work and how to synergize with that.

For SL I'll try to maintain 3 characters; Warlock, Blood DK or Guardian Druid, Resto Druid.
    Depends on how much work it'll be to keep the other characters up to speed in regards of covenants/conduits/legendaries etc.

I get bored really fast if I play only one class, but I get bored even faster when I have to grind at BfA levels on every char, so that just ended in me not playing at all.

Keyword is variety.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    My rotation is
    prot warrior - questing
    ele shaman, BM hunter - questing, dungeons, raiding
    After those are good I start leveling my crafting toons, so a normal rotation is 3-5 toons per patch.

My main has been a Paladin since BC. I have always swapped between healing, tanking and dps on him. I like to change it up.

Over the years i've also been playing alot of different classes to. I enjoy changing it up now and then. Its like seeing the game from other perspectives, learn new rotations etc.

In BfA I did lvl quite a few chars to max lvl, but I ended up unsubbing after 8.2 cause I couldnt be bothered with the godawful grind on more than one character.

If SL is a dumpsterfuck for alts like BfA, i'll probably sub alot less.
    Last edited by crusadernero; 2020-11-18 at 10:08 AM.

Been playing multiple characters at a time ever since Wrath. One main character, one as second main or major alt that I try to keep as relevant as possible (clearing heroic level raids). I enjoy more than 1 playstyle and having just 1 character was never enough for me. I try to keep more or less diverse (healer and a tank, tank and ranged, melee and ranged), it also allowed me on several occasions to either reroll or to help my guild when we were missing a role that could be filled with my main alt. Its also fun and kina useful to see a boss fight from different angles.

Beyond the 2 chars, I play several other alts to a varying degree, depending on available time and effort required to keep a character at a reasonable power level. All-in-all for an expansion I end up having 3-4 chars at max level within the first few months and keep the alts at a medium gear level.

28 characters with legendary cloak, i enjoy leveling characters horde and aliance [ mostly horde ]
    i tank , heal and dps mythic + no intentions for raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by themes View Post
    And if so, why do you play as different characters rather then only playing as one?

See my sig for reference.

1) Overall I'm completionist. I don't pick character/class/spec, because it suits me. I just don't fee, that I've completed this game, if I haven't completed it on all characters/classes/specs. Simple thing. Yeah, mounts, pets and achievements are account-wide, but completing transmog set doesn't end on one character. There are several armor kinds. There are class sets. There are order hall sets. There are covenant sets. There different types of weapons.
    2) I'm collector. And it involves some feeling of choice, I can't explain. I don't want to choose between X and Y. I want to own both. May be because I just can't decide, what is better.
    3) I need diversity. It's just boring to play same class/spec in a long term. Even if it's easiest one for you. Different classes/specs have different visual styles. Different playstyles. Playing them makes my game much more fun.
    4) Reward/effort ratio. For me character progression is the most important part of game. And it's fast enough, when you level your character. But at some point it starts to boil down to some boring time-gate or RNG-gated grind. Such as AP grind, that gives your X amount of power per week. Or raids, that give you 1-2 gear pieces a week. Yeah, Blizzard just want you to be subbed in a long term, so they stretch your progression. But at that point further grind just stops being worth effort for me. It's more interesting to get out of that grind swamp and start everything from scratch on brand new character.
    5) Overall I like whole idea of account-wide (not character-wide) progression. I see my characters as some sort of solo guild. When I level new one - I still do something meaningful. I still progress towards some goal. May be some day we will be able to use our alts as followers, mission table characters or even legal bots (if you can't beat them - lead them). Players abuse multiboxing not because they're so bad. They just don't agree with game "rules" and ready to pay money to bypass this rules. Game is way too overcomplicated and overtuned now. So pocket healer/tank is almost mandatory. Yeah, there are followers, but they are way too weak and don't serve this purpose.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2020-11-18 at 10:17 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Main is hunter, has been since i started playing 15 years back and will continue into shadowlands.

I have (currently) 10 at max level but only play 3 or 4 regularly, hunter for mythic+, raiding, some pvp (not much now tbh), and achievement's. My paladin is my herb and skinner, my druid is my first toon i ever created so use him for fun and pvp. Rest of my toons i rotate though depending on what's needed by my guild at the time or profession wise (all profs at max on 8 of 10 toons) or if i am farming mounts like invincible.

6 of my toons are at ilvl 100 or more with 3 being over 115.

Just need to get rogue and monk to 50 before Tuesday lol.

Quote Originally Posted by themes View Post

My main is a NE rogue, has been since 2004. My others I switch around to are my NE hunter (SV spec) and Aff Warlock. I switch around to get different perspectives on gameplay. Do I wanna stealth thru a place to get to where I need to, skipping a ton of stuff/mobs, or do I wanna have a pet class that can solo a ton more shit than my rogue can? I've had an Aff warlock since TBC, switched to Destro when it was the flavor of the month for a while but mainly Aff.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've played multiple characters since I started, two in TBC, four in WotLk and all from MoP onwards. I enjoy the variety and transmog, I liked doing Challenge Mode dungeons in MoP on all Classes. Legion has it's Order Halls that made the expansion feel extremely fresh. Right now I have 20+ Characters at 50 and most of the rest are 40+ from WoD onwards. I'm now character capped with Allied Races. I also enjoyed doing the Mage Tower from Legion on every spec.

For me it's lots of reasons. Maybe I think something looks cool, Heritage Armour for Allied Races, PVP, Mythic+ on a new Alt. I don't doubt I'll be playing all Classes in Shadowlands as well eventually.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

For the first few weeks it is only my main i touch. Until i am at the point of daily buisness with him.

Then i go on to play with more characters. Mostly characters that are fundamentally different than my main.

Druid main - DK first alt - Warlock second etc pp

In the end every class is on max level. But not every char is played

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of it has to do with the fact that I just like leveling up new characters and the other reason is because by creating new and different characters as different classes and specs it keeps the gameplay fresh. I can imagine how boring it must be playing the same character for years. At some point, for me, it's like I want to play something different, try out the other classes.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

3+ Year Old Account
    Professions.

It's fun to change it up. I started multiple characters way back in Cata when I decided I would have an "alliance main" and a "horde main" so I could play either faction at will. I mean most people have alts, it's the same thing, the only difference is the "alts" in this case are about on par with your main.

I have my "raid" character that I invest time into to ensure he's adequately geared for group content (mostly raiding, though also M+ and dabbling in PvP as necessary).
    I have two characters (one Alliance and one Horde) that I play with my spouse to see the two factions' storylines together.
    I have my enchanter/herbalist that I play to gather crafting mats to feed my main/guild.

I don't "maintain" more than 1 character for endgame content that requires an organized group.
    I do however maintain a lot of alts for soloing/goldmaking/pet charm farming etc. That's once I've got my main up to scratch and "done" for the first tier however. That's why BfA (starting in Legion) burned me out so badly. You were Never.Ever.Done.

Also have been considering making tank something I can jump in and do with my Pala should the guild need it.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    I haven't had a "main" since Wrath. I level 1 of each class to max.... on two different servers. One is a dead server but has my original toons. The other server is a heavy Horde raiding server that is more fun to play on. I play every class so that I can appreciate and understand what folks are saying when they discuss a class/spec. It gives me an appreciation for class balance (that may or may not be there) and general fun factor (which may or may not be there). All these toons allow me to also blanket an instance for tmog and mounts.

Stay safe and have fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's fun to try out different classes ?

Atm at 50 i have Warrior, DH, paladin, druid, DK, hunter & Mage at 110-120 ilvl and a warlock that i have not played for a very long time so it's not geared.

Most of these characters got lvled and geared during 8.3 tho, so it's not like i actively geared 7-8 character throughout the entire expansion

The DK will always be the true "Main" tho
    Last edited by Draknalor186; 2020-11-19 at 06:18 AM.

geared one alt to the level of my main in every season of BFA, but only beacuse of m+