Classic to TBC riding/mounts

I saw people on another platform talking about how to "cheat" the system by buying riding skill and mounts in TBC for cheaper than you currently can. I thought, wow that sounds pretty neat, I'll level my 60s but wait to buy riding/mounts until TBC. But when I look at Classic, all I see is one riding skill. Doesn't this change in TBC? And there is no way to cheat? Or am I missing something? What are these people talking about?

In Classic the Epic mount is expensive but the skill is fairly cheap. This was swapped in TBC. Therefore if you buy the skill now but wait to buy the mount you could save a good bit of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendric View Post
    In Classic the Epic mount is expensive but the skill is fairly cheap. This was swapped in TBC. Therefore if you buy the skill now but wait to buy the mount you could save a good bit of gold.
    Right now there is only 1 riding skill that we buy at 40, but in BC they add a level 60 riding skill that costs a lot. Am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Right now there is only 1 riding skill that we buy at 40, but in BC they add a level 60 riding skill that costs a lot. Am I mistaken?
    I think you aren't at the right trainer. There is two skills you have to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Synical123 View Post
    Ok thanks. I guess I just don't remember buying the 2nd riding skill.

I just hit 40 on one of my alts so I went to the Riding instructor who only shows 1 Riding skill. I bought it, but where's the other Riding skill?
    There is only 1 riding skill. Both 40 and 60 mounts show the same Riding requirement. The only difference is level requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    I just hit 40 on one of my alts so I went to the Riding instructor who only shows 1 Riding skill. I bought it, but where's the other Riding skill?
    There is only 1 riding skill. Both 40 and 60 mounts show the same Riding requirement. The only difference is level requirement.
    What race are you and where are you getting your training from

Edit: you know what? I think you’re right my memory is obviously shit. I think there’s just one training in vanilla but the mount costs are just increased. I got my epic so early and dipped that I seriously just assumed there was two. I do think that in tbc they make another skill for 60, so just don’t buy an epic mount (or if you really want to go ham don’t buy a mount at all) until you transition to tbc. It could potentially save you around 1k gold.
    Last edited by Synical123; 2020-11-22 at 07:05 AM.

this information will be very useful to me

What race are you and where are you getting your training from

Edit: you know what? I think you’re right my memory is obviously shit. I think there’s just one training in vanilla but the mount costs are just increased. I got my epic so early and dipped that I seriously just assumed there was two. I do think that in tbc they make another skill for 60, so just don’t buy an epic mount (or if you really want to go ham don’t buy a mount at all) until you transition to tbc. It could potentially save you around 1k gold.
    I think the epic riding skill they add in TBC becomes the expensive part, so there's no avoiding that.

For reference, back in 2006, you didn't magically receive epic riding because you had learned the riding skill.

In order to automatically acquire epic riding, you need at least one epic mount, meaning any 100% Mount.
    Else, you just get regular riding slapped onto your character and still have to learn the skill.

In other words, you cannot really save money outside of the outright reduction from learning epic riding in TBC vs. buying a 100% mount now.

So interesting topic!!