Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    New YouTube ToS.

    A couple of days ago, YouTube updated their ToS, and it's apparently got some people mad.

    https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...ng-1234834816/

    YouTube, in an expansion of its advertising business, will begin serving up ads on channels that will not receive a cut of the revenue.

    In a Nov. 18 update to its terms of service, YouTube added a new section that says users grant the service “the right to monetize your Content on the Service (and such monetization may include displaying ads on or within Content or charging users a fee for access).” However, the agreement “does not entitle you to any payments,” the latest TOS says.

    The addition of that new provision comes as YouTube said that starting today, “we’ll begin slowly rolling out ads on a limited number of videos from channels not in YPP,” referring to the longstanding YouTube Partner Program that lets eligible channels monetize their content, including getting a share of revenue for ads served against their videos.
    Last edited by CastletonSnob; 2020-11-20 at 03:17 PM.

  2. #2
    I think if you explained why people got mad about it there would be more room for discussion than making a thread linking something saying "discuss!"

  3. #3
    Ya OP most of us don't know the ToS to begin with because no one starts new channels anymore due to the insane saturation. Only people with an interest in becoming a creator would read it in the first place.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - Sire Denathrius confirmed to have created the Dreadlords.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I think if you explained why people got mad about it there would be more room for discussion than making a thread linking something saying "discuss!"
    If I had to guess, it's probably just some lawyery shit that's in every TOS like this, but the outrage merchants need their clickbait.

  5. #5
    Seems like google wants to push ads onto creators who won't profit from those ads.

    On the one hand, dick move. On the other corporations exist for the generation of profit at the direct expense of everyone and anything bar the owners of said corporation thus people should expect dick moves.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  6. #6
    Meh, don't see much reason to be upset with this. Some more ads on non-monetized channels, but that's pretty typical nowadays. Twitch already started pushing more ads and fighting ad blockers a while ago. Twitch trying to detect people with ad blockers and setting them to 360p is far more aggressive. But it's the way things are going. Hard to complain about ads if you aren't monetized, YouTube is a business not a free service for content creators.

  7. #7
    Lol.

    "We don't want to reward you for your controversial content, but we will absolutely still put ads there and try to reward ourselves!"
    Scummy, hypocritical practice. If it's something they feel should be demonetized, they shouldn't be trying to make money off it... or was their whole political correctness stance really just a sham (rhetorical question, we all knew it was bullshit done to appeal to a social outcry)

  8. #8
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,334
    I mean, I thought the reason for demonetization was because advertisers didn't want to be associated with such content, by having their ads played within/around it.

    I don't really have an issue with the idea that Youtube's gonna stick advertising on there and not pay creators; if it's in the TOS, you knew this was how it would work, and you could just . . . not post your content for them to profit off of. Or focus on Patreon as your financial backing. Or use Youtube as essentially "teasers" for your real content, hosted somewhere that monetizes you more advantageously. Creators have options, they're not being forced into giving up their content for free, here.

    I just find it weirdly inconsistent with Youtube's original argument for demonetization.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I just find it weirdly inconsistent with Youtube's original argument for demonetization.
    Exactly, unless they plan on running their own ads for youtube premium or something. Or specifically curating ads from people that have indicated they DGAF. But, if they have advertisers like that, I'd say the content creator deserves a cut.

  10. #10
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,334
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Exactly, unless they plan on running their own ads for youtube premium or something. Or specifically curating ads from people that have indicated they DGAF. But, if they have advertisers like that, I'd say the content creator deserves a cut.
    I'll take issue with "deserves", in the phrasing there. You only "deserve" what Youtube's policies say you deserve. If you don't like it, take your content elsewhere.

    Bear in mind, though, that I'm not taking this stance from a "bow down before your megacorp masters" perspective; I also support a deep socialist reform of the marketplace to allow social ownership to ameliorate the worst corporate abuses, particularly of clients and employees, and that a company behaving badly should mean that, in this case, content providers step away and let that company die and just take their content somewhere else. My druthers are that A> companies should have more of a community focus, and B> companies that don't should be allowed to die and given absolutely zero support. That's just not achievable without much deeper changes.

    Part of the reason I take stances like the above are because it underscores what's wrong with the status quo. In a balanced system, they wouldn't be abusive, but in a predatory, unbalanced system like modern capitalism, they're rendered abusive practically by rote. The issue, there, is the predatory capitalist model, though, not the specific policies by which they predate.

  11. #11
    Don't they already take a percentage from all ads on channels?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'll take issue with "deserves", in the phrasing there. You only "deserve" what Youtube's policies say you deserve. If you don't like it, take your content elsewhere.
    When I say deserve, I'm speaking entirely from my personal morals, not what I expect or want the law to reflect. Youtube is free to do whatever it wants and, as you say, if people don't like it, they can bounce. I hope they do.

    Part of the reason I take stances like the above are because it underscores what's wrong with the status quo. In a balanced system, they wouldn't be abusive, but in a predatory, unbalanced system like modern capitalism, they're rendered abusive practically by rote. The issue, there, is the predatory capitalist model, though, not the specific policies by which they predate.
    Eh, I can simultaneously think "man, that's evil and I 'd never do it to someone, even if I was perfectly capable of doing it" while also thinking "Well, if you participate, clearly it's not as predatory to you as it is to me. If you actually had an issue with it, you wouldn't do it."

  13. #13
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,334
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Eh, I can simultaneously think "man, that's evil and I 'd never do it to someone, even if I was perfectly capable of doing it" while also thinking "Well, if you participate, clearly it's not as predatory to you as it is to me. If you actually had an issue with it, you wouldn't do it."
    We're getting a bit off topic, but if your choices are "become homeless and dig food out of dumpsters to try to not die", or "allow some corporation to garner all the profit off your labor while paying you a pittance that lets you keep a roof over your head and cheap food in your fridge", you'll choose the latter. And it's not really a choice.

    Modern capitalism is fundamentally defined by how it exploits duress.

  14. #14
    Immortal PresidentGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Giving Fascists Tummy Aches
    Posts
    7,278
    Not reading any of this BS.

    But wild guess here; PragerU is one of the parties complaining the most about the rules?
    Welcome to GEN-OT, have a seat, we'll introduce you to the 23-year-old who will lecture you about how Democrats didn't try hard enough to improve the ACA, and once that's all set up you'll be assigned a socialist who supported Ron Paul up to 2015 to harass you forever.
    "Once bigotry or self-loathing permeate a given community, it is only a matter of time before deep metaphysical significance is assigned to the shape of human skulls."
    -Lady Foppington

  15. #15
    The only reason YouTube gets away with this is because there's no real alternative.

    We need Apple or Microsoft to make a competitor to YouTube.

  16. #16
    It's their page.

    If people don't like it, they can post their videos for free on other sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.

  17. #17
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    37,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I think if you explained why people got mad about it there would be more room for discussion than making a thread linking something saying "discuss!"
    I think it is apparent in the quote... YouTube profiting off ads on people’s videos that aren’t making money on Said ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black people in america should be happy their ancestors where slaves so they could have a good live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black women are racist. Im the one trying to make her[my wife] behave like white people and not say it out loud.
    Totally not racist

  18. #18
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    55,808
    That’s really bad... at least it’s not going to harm content creators, but it’s a shitty thing to do.

    Beyond not paying content creators, for ad revenue, this has a technical problem on iPads. Due to it’s Picture in Picture policy, you need to launch YouTube from a browser, to make it work. The only problem, is that ads halt the video, forcing you to go full screen to skip. This will break the experience for people like me... who watch a bunch of technical crap, that runs very long, but has no ads. I can cross reference, as I watch... this will break that experience.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    The only reason YouTube gets away with this is because there's no real alternative.

    We need Apple or Microsoft to make a competitor to YouTube.
    That’s not the problem, because this does have a solution:

    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's their page.

    If people don't like it, they can post their videos for free on other sites.
    The problem is with people who get demonetized, but now can still get ads. Which doesn’t make sense...
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracle of the One Thing.

  19. #19
    Elemental Lord callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    8,050
    I believe the op is looking for the following response: I am outraged!!!!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I think if you explained why people got mad about it there would be more room for discussion than making a thread linking something saying "discuss!"
    Should be pretty obvious, YouTube is profiting from content without paying the creators. Pretty scummy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •