In the Cinematic, Denathrius said "there is another way". Maybe Denathrius convinced the Jailer to reach Zereth Mortis? Maybe the Jailer's original plan was different?

WHY HE IS CALLED THE JAILER?

Why Sylvanas said the world is a prison????
    Last edited by KainneAbsolute; 2022-03-08 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post
    Interesting point of view, but isn't like Wrathion's narrative in MOP but in multiversal level?
    Would fit the their current writing competence to recycle that too here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    N'zoth was killed to make room for the Jailer I should have said.

It's what makes BfA even worse in hindsight, and why it will likely never be topped in terms of atrocious writing. Because while SL is boring and lacking in substance, BfA had an amazing opening hook and then promptly used that hook in awful ways to remove longstanding threats without even figuring out how the pieces fit together, and all to lead to SL.

Legion removed the Burning Legion to let us get back to Azeroth and focus on the Old Gods and the Factions. BfA then butchered the factions and crammed the Old Gods and Naga into it so they could have room for Zovaal, which in SL has now been removed from the plot as well.

So in short the story since Legion has essentially been equivalent to a toddler picking up toys, playing with them for a couple of seconds, then throwing them in the trash before moving onto something else.
    Blizzard really needs to sit down and realize that you can play with your toys more than once, and in different ways. You don't have to immediately go to the logical endpoint to be able to move on, it is possible to have a pseudo-ending and put the story on hold.
    I think you’re right, but the question then is, why did they want to get rid of an arch villain that’s been slowly build up over a decade and replace him with an Amazon Basics version of a villain that has zero real back story, zero real build up and was then finished within two content patches, leaving no lasting impression on WoW or the lore?

There must have been a mental disconnect for Blizzard‘s writing team when they came up with this story and deemed it good? Or how can this happen?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Because History is Written by the Victors.

That's one of Shadowlands' overarching narratives.

The Primus is "The Jailer" of Zovaal, and so history records this dark deed in the Primus' favor. He ultimately got what he deserves when he was captured and dominated himself.

The real 'villain' of this expack is whoever Ordered the Shadowlands. 'The First Ones.' Whoever created, or decided harnessing Domination magic was a good idea, creating shifty characters like Denathrius and The Primus? That's your villain.
    Last edited by Archmage Xaxxas; 2022-03-08 at 10:15 PM.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    In the Cinematic, Denathrius said "there is another way". Maybe Denathrius convinced the Jailer to reach Zereth Mortis? Maybe the Jailer's original plan was different?

The guy probably caged souls and drained them to create weapons. Maybe the universe is a prison and something is trying to break in. Not enough answers this expansion.

7+ Year Old Account
    He's not.

His name is Zovaal, "The Jailer" is his title.
    Before he was the Jailer, the was the Arbiter.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I think you’re right, but the question then is, why did they want to get rid of an arch villain that’s been slowly build up over a decade and replace him with an Amazon Basics version of a villain that has zero real back story, zero real build up and was then finished within two content patches, leaving no lasting impression on WoW or the lore?

There must have been a mental disconnect for Blizzard‘s writing team when they came up with this story and deemed it good? Or how can this happen?
    My guess would be that they wanted to do the whole Shadowlands thing, but didn't just want to set it on Azeroth or generally have lower stakes. They wanted full-on cosmic warfare on the scale of Argus. And since making a brand new villain from scratch is almost impossible if you want it to be important they just went for the "puppet master" archetype.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Because it was le epic catchy hook to generate hype. That's the way Blizz write their stories. All hooks and no substance.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can appreciate none of sylvanus in this cinematic, but holy shit it was still bad.

If wow Thanos had those reasons why along, they could have you know, explained and worked that out across the expansion, so we actually knew him and had reasons to fight him, instead of big bad evil guy doing big bad evil stuff. It make no sense to hold until the very end of the straw to reveal this, now nobody fucking cares, is pointless. They making him a sargeras 2.0(He was trying to do the right thing, by the wrong means ) didn't help either.

But what pisses me of the most is their way of storytelling based around the clifhangers, trying to build hype or i dunno what the fuck they want, such amateur level of writing, it was the same thing before with sylvanus saying "he cant reach the...." and fades out, and now, the fucker drops "for what is to come" and thats it.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    "What is to come" is something even bigger and badder than the Void Lords.
    Damn, I hope you're wrong.

"No Blizzard! You're not having another mysterious threat to the universe itself! You haven't even finished your first yet!"

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    Because it was le epic catchy hook to generate hype. That's the way Blizz write their stories. All hooks and no substance.
    Right here, officer. This guy.

...he's totally right, you may move on.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    So he was just a placeholder so Blizzard could complete Sylvanas arc and reedem her?
    That is the most logical endpoint as far as I can see. You can't reuse Arthas since that would be nonsensical. Old Gods would work, but would likely be too similar to N'zoth.

Really Blizzards mistake with the Jailer was making him an actual character. Make him more conceptual and less an actual character and the story might have functioned slightly better.

7+ Year Old Account

/S

I know something like that would never happen, but boy... i would really love if 10.0 was "Yeah mate after Sargeras/Argus fight you went into coma for 5 years"

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    I would describe it as spectacle oriented. The important part is making something cool and epic, not something good.

Making something that looks cool is easy, making something that is cool and well written is difficult. It's the problem that has been plagueing mainstream writing lately with the Star Wars sequels and the final season of GoT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon ANX View Post

/S

I know something like that would never happen, but boy... i would really love if 10.0 was "Yeah mate after Sargeras/Argus fight you went into coma for 5 years"
    sure why not? We already have done timetravveling xpacs!

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    The guy probably caged souls and drained them to create weapons. Maybe the universe is a prison and something is trying to break in. Not enough answers this expansion.
    Maybe Zovaal was the warden of something. Maybe there is something in the Maw that should not come in contact with Azeroth. At the same time, Azeroth is trapped in the physical universe.
    --------------------------------------

At this rate, it seems that:
    - Sargeras is in prison.
    - Azshara is missing in action.
    - Nzoth and the other old god are destroyed?
    - I guess that Zovaal can be turned on again hahah

I think we are going to ally with all the villains in the future to face the true enemy.
    Last edited by KainneAbsolute; 2022-03-08 at 10:34 PM.

I have to wonder how the reaction would be if instead, it was Sargeras who employs the Nathrezim and leads Zovaal astray, creating the Jailer.

It would make Shadowlands even more of a logical continuation after Legion, with Sargeras' final words being "No!" to us after being told his Crusade was over.
    Zovaal could have been a final measure on his part. A hail mary he knew would persist even if somehow he was defeated or the Void was winning.

Part of me is still thinking this has to be the reality. There's just no way to me that The Titans were so oblivious to what Souls are, where they come from and where they go, when their whole thing is waking World Souls.

Aman'thul had mastery over Time. So surely they would have been able to see into the future and know of Zovaal's plans at the very least?

But that's way too much hope.
    Last edited by Archmage Xaxxas; 2022-03-08 at 10:33 PM.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

I think we are meant to take the whole line together. I think he's basically saying he's slighted that Zovaal didn't include him in his schemes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Zovaal was the warden of something. Maybe there is something in the Maw that should not come in contact with Azeroth. At the same time, Azeroth is trapped in the physical universe.
    --------------------------------------

At this rate, it seems the
    - Sargeras is in prison.
    - Azshara is missing in action.
    - Nzoth and the other old god are destroyed?
    - I guess that Zovaal can be turned on again hahah

I think we are going to ally with all the villains in the future to face the true enemy.
    its the dragonball arc that we got old villains to fight in the tournament, lmao, how low we have fallen

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    I have to wonder how the reaction would be if instead, it was Sargeras who employs the Nathrezim and leads Zovaal astray, creating the Jailer.

It would make Shadowlands even more of a logical continuation after Legion, with Sargeras' final words being "No!" to us after being told his Crusade was over.
    Zovaal could have been a final measure on his part. A hail mary he knew would persist even if somehow he was defeated or the Void was winning.

Part of me is still thinking this has to be the reality. There's just no way to me that The Titans were so oblivious to what Souls are, where they come from and where they go, when their whole thing is waking World Souls.

But that's way too much hope.
    Why would they know anything about it? "world souls" is just the name, it's not like they have some special insight into souls in general. Their whole thing is finding titan eggs and terraforming planets to their own liking.

The titans weren't even aware the Void was hanging out trying to break into their reality to consume everything by creating a void titan, why would they know all about the death end of the cosmic forces?