1. #2901
    The Lightbringer Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orbis Terrarum
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Not all areas are worht making into full-fledged expansions. if you wanted to put even a modicum of effort in you could make literally any area with some significance its own expansion, that doesnt make it a good idea. if I wanted I could write a quick mockup for an expansion taking place entirely in Suramar, but that wouldnt mean it is a good idea.
    True that. Like, people were mad Emerald Dream was turned into a raid only, but lore wise it's a primal Azeroth w/o any civilization, so no settlements etc. Sure, Blizz could do some bending but then we would have Northrend 2.0, where we arrived to a frozen wasteland that for some reason had entire towns already there together with big mausoleums beneath.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

  2. #2902
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    17,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I mean unless they reveal 10.0 at Gamescom, this is impossible. The only event after that they could do it at will be Blizzcon 2022 in presumably Feb/March of next year like this year's was.

    And after that they'll have their usual longer than we think downtime, then streamer alpha, then beta, before launch.

    Way I see it, if the announcement's delayed, the expansion's delayed. I figured it'd be in November/December 2022, now I'm expecting Q1 2023.
    If it is a world revamp, I could see them pushing it to Q2 2023. Either way I think we should probably expect the reveal for 10.0 to be at Pax East in Spring 2022. Blizzvon 2022 will goin depth, and start the alpha that month. Beta early 2023. Release in like May.

  3. #2903
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Not all areas are worht making into full-fledged expansions. if you wanted to put even a modicum of effort in you could make literally any area with some significance its own expansion, that doesnt make it a good idea. if I wanted I could write a quick mockup for an expansion taking place entirely in Suramar, but that wouldnt mean it is a good idea.
    What can I say? I love when devs make efforts. Well anyway it is safe to say Endwalker will release before 9.2. The Moon there has one confirmed zone and one maybe zone. We shall see which one has more stuff to it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    Sure? Almost like patches exist for a reason.
    Same is true for expansions. They expand things. Like the lore or the map.

  4. #2904
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Well Yavin IV is a moon. So is Endor. Oh and my favorite place in the sw universe. Nar Shaddaa. So yes, going to the moon is no big deal for Star Wars.
    True though I wasn't sure what moons players have been to in the MMO, as it has been a long time. But I do recall Nar Shaddaa so there we go then.

    It would be weird for everything so important to the universe at large to be centered around Azeroth but eh, that's cheap writing for you, really.

  5. #2905
    Loa of Death Bwonsamdi the Dead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    De Other Side (Just kidding) Vancouver Island, BC
    Posts
    2,465
    Maybe one day we'll go to diffrent planets in the Great Dark? There's several things in the Shadowlands that hint at other worlds existing

    Another day, another Deal....

  6. #2906
    The Insane Arafal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ardenweald
    Posts
    15,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Maybe one day we'll go to diffrent planets in the Great Dark? There's several things in the Shadowlands that hint at other worlds existing
    You mean... like Argus, Draenor, Elunaria, Nathreza, etc?

    Trans Rights are Human Rights // Elune Says Queer Rights!

  7. #2907
    We've known other planets existed since WC1
    Some will tell you that the Light is the only path. The only weapon that can stop the enemies of Azeroth. But we see alternatives. Many roads, many possibilities, that are open to us. There will be those who doubt you. Who question your resolve, your ability to harness powers that have caused the downfall of weaker wills. Together, we will prove them wrong.

  8. #2908
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Not all areas are worht making into full-fledged expansions. if you wanted to put even a modicum of effort in you could make literally any area with some significance its own expansion, that doesnt make it a good idea. if I wanted I could write a quick mockup for an expansion taking place entirely in Suramar, but that wouldnt mean it is a good idea.
    People act like this fantasy world is real and some day we will run out from places to go. On every expac most zones are fresh lore, usually well known place turn out to be just 1 zone (Outland - Hellfire, Northend - Icecrown, Broken Isles - Broken Shore). And some zones fits better as climax of story, Argus is perfect example.

    Not to mention literally every continent could be fully revamped. Currently almost every expac is optional (and lorewise nothing stop them from just puting old continent as Chromie option).

  9. #2909
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    You mean... like Argus, Draenor, Elunaria, Nathreza, etc?
    Don't forget places like Naigtal which we saw in the 7.3 patch and which have gotten more lore added in Shadowlands.
    It all kinda goes back to the big question of why go to new areas all the time when we could spend that time in older zones getting a more coherently flowing narrative.
    I don't need each patch to include a dedicated Darkshire patch, but I would have loved at least a couple more in-depths visists to important areas like Stratholme to see if it at least stopped burning one day.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  10. #2910
    The Insane Arafal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ardenweald
    Posts
    15,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    areas like Stratholme to see if it at least stopped burning one day.
    If Stormwind is any indication, that's very doubtful.

    Afterall Human buildings (and soil) is very, very flammable and tends to burn for an extraordinarily long time.

    Trans Rights are Human Rights // Elune Says Queer Rights!

  11. #2911
    The Lightbringer Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orbis Terrarum
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    If Stormwind is any indication, that's very doubtful.

    Afterall Human buildings (and soil) is very, very flammable and tends to burn for an extraordinarily long time.
    Wasn't it low-key implied that Stratholm keeps burning due to some kind of a magic/curse? At least that's an explanation I tell myself. It gives zone great atmosphere and I would hate it if they started to fix it.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

  12. #2912
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Wasn't it low-key implied that Stratholm keeps burning due to some kind of a magic/curse? At least that's an explanation I tell myself. It gives zone great atmosphere and I would hate it if they started to fix it.
    It's certainly a decent explanation if it was just a question of maybe a year, not a decade. I don't care how malevolent the magic is, I cannot envision a scenario in which the flames should be burning anything but a flat plain of ash at this point.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  13. #2913
    The Lightbringer Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orbis Terrarum
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    It's certainly a decent explanation if it was just a question of maybe a year, not a decade. I don't care how malevolent the magic is, I cannot envision a scenario in which the flames should be burning anything but a flat plain of ash at this point.
    I mean, magic can explain anything really. We got plenty of ancient beings that just keep burning constantly. Curse caused the city to sort-of freeze in time shortly after purge. Bam, ez explanation.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

  14. #2914
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Based on what?
    There is absolutely nothing that indicates that in any way shape or form.

    Nor does it make any sense unless you deliberately ignore that Azeroth is a literal baby world and the Shadowlands conflict has been ongoing since the near beginning of time.
    Tbf here, nothing indicates otherwise. Also, yeah you’re right. I’m just tryna assume shit lmao

  15. #2915
    Loa of Death Bwonsamdi the Dead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    De Other Side (Just kidding) Vancouver Island, BC
    Posts
    2,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    You mean... like Argus, Draenor, Elunaria, Nathreza, etc?
    Yep! We go to the remains of some planets in Legion too, but those are the ones the Legion got to. Hmm... I thought that Azeroth was the only world left that they haden't conquered?

    Another day, another Deal....

  16. #2916
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Yep! We go to the remains of some planets in Legion too, but those are the ones the Legion got to. Hmm... I thought that Azeroth was the only world left that they haden't conquered?
    7.3 had us go to planets the Legion didn’t get to.

  17. #2917
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    I mean, magic can explain anything really. We got plenty of ancient beings that just keep burning constantly. Curse caused the city to sort-of freeze in time shortly after purge. Bam, ez explanation.
    That is a pretty good explanation actually.
    Still though, that is not something shown conclusively in-game, much less whether there are efforts to stop that, or even what the general status is of the area surrounding it. In Cata pretty much the entirety of the Western Plaguelands were cleansed, and the effort to cleanse the Eastern Plaguelands were well underway, surely there should be some significant progress on that front, not to mention the repatriation effort from both Forsaken and Human refugees migrating back to their homelands and having a squabble over land partially aggravated by Sylvanas.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  18. #2918
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Yep! We go to the remains of some planets in Legion too, but those are the ones the Legion got to. Hmm... I thought that Azeroth was the only world left that they haden't conquered?
    A member of the Legion, Wrath-Lord Lekos, said Azeroth was the last one standing but we've been to a few planets in Legion that haven't been conquered (Elunaria, Bonich, according to wowpedia). Additionally, in the Illidan novel, Illidan says there are several other worlds left, and Xe'ra confirms this as well, though says Azeroth's the only one worth saving.

    I'm sure there's other worlds that they missed somehow. The universe is vast, after all.

  19. #2919
    The Lightbringer Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orbis Terrarum
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    That is a pretty good explanation actually.
    Still though, that is not something shown conclusively in-game, much less whether there are efforts to stop that, or even what the general status is of the area surrounding it. In Cata pretty much the entirety of the Western Plaguelands were cleansed, and the effort to cleanse the Eastern Plaguelands were well underway, surely there should be some significant progress on that front, not to mention the repatriation effort from both Forsaken and Human refugees migrating back to their homelands and having a squabble over land partially aggravated by Sylvanas.
    Another easy explanation. Stratholm has concentrated forces of Scourge and Scarlet Crusade that bunkered there too well and made retaking efforts too costly. I mean, Scarlet Monastery also still stands, and it's next to Undercity. So was Black Rock Spire with Old Horde.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

  20. #2920
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    What's wrong with the moon(s)? They seem like a fairly common place to go, particularly in fantasy games.
    It's completely out of nowhere. And Final Fantasy XIV is doing basically exactly that. This would be hilarious honestly, but in a very, very negative way, especially so shortly right around FFXIV did it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I feel the question of what patch is bigger is kinda pointless though. The only constant with patch sizes is that Blizzard only really has the resources for one big and one small/medium zone per expansion.
    Legion had nothing for 7.1, then a small zone in the updated Broken Shore and then a large 8or 3 small technically) with Argus.
    BfA had both the small and the large zone in 8.2 with Mechagon and Nazjatar.

    Now SL has Korthia, which I have not seen but I have heard is decently ssizeable. So it stands to reason that we are only likely to get a small or medium sized zone.

    Of course the wildcard is reused assets zones, which in theory should be easier to make, but in practice could be extra effort when it isnt necessarily worth it.
    I didn't start a discussion about which patch is bigger etc. I just said I expect 9.2 to be akin to 8.3 due to various reasons. And then I said 8.3 was quite "light" in comparison to 7.3 or 8.2 as it took place in slightly revamped zones and didn't offer several completely new zones.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    My point was that they said 9.2 would be much bigger than 9.1, and 9.1 is bigger than 8.3. Nothing hard to get here.
    Who said that? When was it said? Because I don't recall Ion or any other Blizzard upper tier employee to say that 9.2 is bigger than 9.1. I know they said that it will be very surprising and "epic" or whatever, but I never linked that to the size or content of 9.2, I always imagined it's about the story in 9.2.
    ________

    Oh and lol @ people that think the next expansion will be delayed until Q2/23 just so we can possibly have 9.3. That's just hilarious. Y'all are really thinking they're going to keep Shadowlands around for another 24 months?

    Q2/23 is WotLK territory. That's the biggest possible Classic release they have available and be sure they're cashing in on it massively. There's no room for a retail expansion.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-05-26 at 09:22 PM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •