Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    There's datamining that allows us to speculate from and there's datamining that ends up being straight up spoilers. The latter kind sucks and is why datamining is getting harder in general. Blizzard should be focused on fixing that kind of datamining and not making all of datamining harder.
    Blizzard needs to get it in their head that the only people following the PTR actually WANT spoilers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Blizzard needs to get it in their head that the only people following the PTR actually WANT spoilers.
    I'd say more along the lines of it being people that follow news sites only WANT PTR spoilers. Bacause I personally never installed PTR to go for spoilers on it, for that I look at MMOC or WoWHead (not I have to visit WoWHead over a VPN but thats a whole different story...). The few times I actually installed the PTR is because I wanted to get a look at something specific (zone and cypher system in 9.2, corruption in 8.3 and such). Almost nobody actually playes the PTR for spoilers since they are usually covered in much more than what is available on fan sites because of datamining (strings, cutscenes or models or whatever that aren't available in the ptr yet)
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
    Ther must be something else. Draenor Shadowmoon is always night full moon, not too different from how Darkshore is now after the Night Warrior ritual.
    Magic. Note that the rest of Draenor is not in permanent night or day.

In my opinion, a lot of people might want spoilers but none of them actually deserve spoilers.

In my opinion, a lot of people might want spoilers but none of them actually deserve spoilers.
    I second the birb on that. Especially when you see the instant toxic reaction of some people in the community to ANYTHING added to the game, especially in the early stages. Feedback is of course required, and essential (especially if it prevents Blizzard from going in the wrong direction), but way too often it's not even constructive.

Corporate Blizzard: We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    I second the birb on that. Especially when you see the instant toxic reaction of some people in the community to ANYTHING added to the game, especially in the early stages. Feedback is of course required, and essential (especially if it prevents Blizzard from going in the wrong direction), but way too often it's not even constructive.
    Yeah. Testing and feedback is important as the recent PTR phases have shown, but at the same time I think anything story related shouldn't be available/tested on PTRs nor is it something Blizzard should be seeking/accepting feedback for (at least not at the point where it's already on PTR).
    Last edited by Marlamin; 2022-04-09 at 04:33 PM.

No such thing. Spoilers are a blessing. They save us from disappointment. I'm thankful for every leak.

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    No such thing. Spoilers are a blessing. They save us from disappointment. I'm thankful for every leak.
    It can be both, not deserving to know story beats before you're supposed to but still getting excited/thankful about it when you do aren't mutually exclusive.

Yeah. Testing and feedback is important as the recent PTR phases have shown, but at the same time I think anything story related shouldn't be available/tested on PTRs nor is it something Blizzard should be seeking/accepting feedback for (at least not at the point where it's already on PTR).
    I do agree with you, but not entirely: I'd be ok with that if Blizzard was capable of completely keeping track of their own lore, however, BfA and SL had many small examples of them scr*wing up on that and forgetting their own lore. Through Beta and PTR, there were also things that were fixed because the community stepped in and asked them to correct it (lorewise that is)

So yeah, I agree with you that story related spoilers should be left out of testing... but again, can we trust Blizzard with that? With patches going on a full PTR cycle, they still go live with bugs (thankfully not as often now as before but still), what would happen for something that was not tested on PTR? That would imply they switch to a strictly internal testing model for some parts of the games, and I guess that's more resources used for that rather than used elsewhere? I don't really know how those things get organised in the gaming industry.

This is difficult, on one hand I'd like it to happen, on the other I'm not trusting them entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Local Ardenweald Faerie View Post
    I want Covenant ARs so bad.

faeries pls
    Not even a snowball's chance in hell that you'd get those. You'd get the goats at best, you also won't get the awsome gargoyles or the necro-liches.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

It can be both, not deserving to know story beats before you're supposed to but still getting excited/thankful about it when you do aren't mutually exclusive.
    That absolutely isn't true, but mainly because the effort put into the devs being more secretive has increased while at the same time the quality of the plot has been declining.

Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    Not even a snowball's chance in hell that you'd get those. You'd get the goats at best, you also won't get the awsome gargoyles or the necro-liches.
    I hate the thought of Shadowlands ARs but the part of me that love making troll characters wishes we got them. I would spend all my time in WM on a rogue named Sparkleshank just ruining people's day.

I do agree with you, but not entirely: I'd be ok with that if Blizzard was capable of completely keeping track of their own lore, however, BfA and SL had many small examples of them scr*wing up on that and forgetting their own lore. Through Beta and PTR, there were also things that were fixed because the community stepped in and asked them to correct it (lorewise that is)

So yeah, I agree with you that story related spoilers should be left out of testing... but again, can we trust Blizzard with that? With patches going on a full PTR cycle, they still go live with bugs (thankfully not as often now as before but still), what would happen for something that was not tested on PTR? That would imply they switch to a heavily internal testing model.

This is difficult, on one hand I'd like it to happen, on the other I'm not trusting them entirely.
    I'd say that's a perfectly fair way of looking at it. My biggest gripe with spoilers in WoW (and as such on PTR) is that they're usually not experienced through the game or official channels but experienced through third parties, be it sites like MMOC/Wowhead or on YouTubers who are by definition in it for the money. Blizzard has gotten into the habit of releasing cinematics on YouTube the moment they go live so that's a good move in that department at least, but my opinion remains for now.

I fully understand that those who care a lot about the lore don't want Blizzard to mess it up in any way (moreso than they already have going off what I read here now and then), but I think story feedback is something Blizzard listens to the least in the short-termness of PTR so I wouldn't mind it disappearing from PTR entirely.

It's slightly different for Beta where there's a longer period of being able to rework things, but for PTR it is usually too late the moment it goes up unless it's something that can be fixed by taking out dialogue and/or changing some text.

That absolutely isn't true, but mainly because the effort put into the devs being more secretive has increased while at the same time the quality of the plot has been declining.
    I don't think that's related to the point I made nor is the secretiveness something that started at the same time the plot "started declining", unless that means Wrath/Cataclysm in which case it's been declining for over 10-14 years now.

The secretiveness mainly went up as datamining spoilers became more accessible, popular and mainstream. With the increasing importance of cinematics and actual story beats in Wrath they started encrypting/timegating them in Cataclysm. They've been working on making things more hidden and encrypted ever since then. MoP iterated on this even more, then WoD, Legion, etc. etc. It's pretty much just been an arms race between Blizzard and datamining.

If Blizzard called a halt to datamining back then either by severely punishing those going after it or putting effort into encrypting everything (or both), we wouldn't have the secretiveness we have today. It'd be terrible for some parts of the community, but the spoiler culture around WoW wouldn't exist as it does today.
    Last edited by Marlamin; 2022-04-09 at 05:09 PM.

People want a lot of things that aren't good for them. So what? That's no reason to give it to them.

Knight of the Astral Star Local Ardenweald Faerie's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I hate the thought of Shadowlands ARs but the part of me that love making troll characters wishes we got them. I would spend all my time in WM on a rogue named Sparkleshank just ruining people's day.
    Now you know why I want Ardenweald faeries as a allied race beyond just liking them a lot.

about covenant at 10.0...why people think that WoW without Rental powers gonna be the fix that the game really need? like if you introduce MoP or Cata right now, the people gonna complain a lot because of content, like when this expansions was launched the mental and priorities of people playing MMO in general was different than how is it right now for us.

If you remove rental powers right now you create a gameplay hole really BIG, right now rental power like covenants(the 9.2 version ofc) give us a really good gameplay changes and versatility, hell i think i like it the actual covenant system better than others rental powers from legion or BFA.

If you remove this, you need to add something new, but if we are going to go for the route of removing rental powers, you need to attach something that is not rental, basically you need to add something that persist through the expansion and that can create sometype of gameplay changes to the classes, the question is..blizzard gonna do this? depends on devs and if they know what are the problems with wow right now;

Rental power:

- keep but decrease the impact in the gameplay: dont like this option, because making systems go "dull or mediocre" for the sake of fixing the problem i dont think its a good idea.

- Remove rental powers: as i said before this can be very good or fucking bad, depends a lot of devs if they sufficient crazy to create something awesome and persistent to the classes not the expansion.

"green content":

- One of the problems that causes the hard drop of people in each patch is that outside of m+, pvp and pve, there is nothing literal, farming achievments, pets etc.. but the game needs more content outside of the pillars of the game on endgame, SOMETHING that can do people that dont like endgame to play the game, housing, sometype of minigames whatever, this part is the most hard one because i can't imagine what we need to be honest, im a endgame player, and this content for me is irrelevant, but i know is necessary for the game.

There are other problems like remodeling m+ in some way, loot, etc..but i dont think are that bad right now as the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by keygy View Post
    "green content":

- One of the problems that causes the hard drop of people in each patch is that outside of m+, pvp and pve, there is nothing literal, farming achievments, pets etc.. but the game needs more content outside of the pillars of the game on endgame, SOMETHING that can do people that dont like endgame to play the game, housing, sometype of minigames whatever, this part is the most hard one because i can't imagine what we need to be honest, im a endgame player, and this content for me is irrelevant, but i know is necessary for the game.

There are other problems like remodeling m+ in some way, loot, etc..but i dont think are that bad right now as the other two.
    I'm actually hoping their new experimental gameplay team was founded based on some sort of idea they'll hopefully start exploring in 10.0 that isn't borrowed power for a single expansion. It's obviously a big "dose of hopium" but I hope that Blizzard has finally figured out that borrowed power (and by extension garrison systems) is something they've gotten away with a few too many times now.

I'm actually hoping their new experimental gameplay team was founded based on some sort of idea they'll hopefully start exploring in 10.0 that isn't borrowed power for a single expansion. It's obviously a big "dose of hopium" but I hope that Blizzard has finally figured out that borrowed power is something they've gotten away with a few too many times now.
    It's my hope as well, although I think it will probably end up being completely unrelated to WoW...

It's my hope as well, although I think it will probably end up being completely unrelated to WoW...
    It is a sub team of the WoW team as per this job posting, so I'm still hopeful.