1. #54281
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    How would you guys feel if dracthyr form remained armorless and without a male / female form, but we had more than one visage option that could freely be swapped somehow.

    So like humans, tauren, nelves, gnomes, belves, trolls, etc. All with crazy draconic features.

    Would that even it out? I think it's be a good compromise for this lack of armor issue.
    Would be a terrible decision, as it would essentially make Dracthyr humanoids whicturn into dragons, rather than full on dragons with a humanoid form for convenience.

    Being a dragon is the big selling point. If they remove that then making it its own race is kinda pointless when they could just make it a class that gets extra customization options like DK or DH.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  2. #54282
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    19,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    That's actually a good point. A Jed'hin class would be something similar for Draenei that is Draenei-only because it is something only Draenei are able to do, with the tail, hooves and crests all being used in wrestling.

    However I again disagree with the idea that they can't be other classes in the future because there is no lore locking them into NOT branching out into other classes. Until there is lore for that, it's not impossible. Same as how Draenei are every class but not (only) Jed'hin wrestlers.
    I do agree it makes no sense for drakthyr to be other classes ATM.


    They could easily use narrative to change that. Maybe a certain group of drakthyr lost their connection to the aspects. They are still dragons. But they don't have aspect power. Idk what would make them loss their power but it's a possibility.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexjimithing View Post
    Speaking of lore I am excited to see the novel for this expansion. Hopefully it’s Golden again, loved the Sylvanas book.
    I hope it centers around nozdormu. A timey wimey book could be fun.

  3. #54283
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulggun View Post
    No matter what they add they will be people who will hate it and scream about it.
    That's definitely true. But Blizzard chose the lazy way yet again. I think that's what upsets people.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

  4. #54284
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    19,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Letting people attack with the visage form would be nonsense and would defeat the purpose of making such ridiculous class/race combo in the first place, is like wanting to attack as a feral druid in your normal form.
    This take proves blizzard can't make everyone happy. I'm not 100% disagreeing with you either btw.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    To seek more power. Necromancers and Warlocks are typically arcane mages who do the same thing.

    Not close to being comparable to going from a Dragon down to a common Rogue.
    Blizzard could narratively make a reason for a drakthyr to be another class, but if they don't I agree with you. I'd rather they just add dragonkin.

  5. #54285
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I doesn't even need those crazy draconic shenanigans

    Give the base core races as visage and we are set

    This way "any race" can be the class.
    I understand that they want some visual identity for the race even in humanoid form and I'm all for it. Maybe in a later expansion we could have gnome drakthyr but for now I'd rather have them stick to their original plan for the humanoid form.

  6. #54286
    Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    I understand that they want some visual identity for the race even in humanoid form and I'm all for it. Maybe in a later expansion we could have gnome drakthyr but for now I'd rather have them stick to their original plan for the humanoid form.
    The issue is that by focusing more on the humanoid forms we have now we are losing out on the actual focus on being dragons.

    Dracthyr are dragons, not humans or elves who turn into them. This isn't a DH that play an elf who turns into a demon.

    Ideally the humanoid form should have just been a cosmetic racial that let you change into any race. Possibly only one at a time swappable from your Dracthyr hub if being able to change that forms cosmetics is so important.

    Really just focus on the dragon and making it appealing to stay in that form, instead of letting it languish and just become an obligation players have to deal with for combat.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  7. #54287
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I hope it centers around nozdormu. A timey wimey book could be fun.
    The Thrall timewalking book was pretty poor imo.

  8. #54288
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    15,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    I understand that they want some visual identity for the race even in humanoid form and I'm all for it. Maybe in a later expansion we could have gnome drakthyr but for now I'd rather have them stick to their original plan for the humanoid form.
    Or, they could allow any basic visage now, and later add the customizations, this way people can play the race/class at launch, Cause, im not buying the game if i can't have other visages (or play with the race as another class)

    There is no point in having a visual difference in the first place, cause its a form to blend with mortals, like dragons, this is direct the opposite of the idea

  9. #54289
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Or, they could allow any basic visage now, and later add the customizations, this way people can play the race/class at launch, Cause, im not buying the game if i can't have other visages (or play with the race as another class)

    There is no point in having a visual difference in the first place, cause its a form to blend with mortals, like dragons, this is direct the opposite of the idea
    Are they meant to blend in? The dragons' developed their humanoid shapes to blend in because their tasks required that. The Dracthyr though are pretty much soldiers. They are not infilitrators or ambassadors. We don't even know if they go through a Visage ceremony like dragons do or if the forms are constrained to Neltharion's aesthetics.

  10. #54290
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    15,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    The issue is that by focusing more on the humanoid forms we have now we are losing out on the actual focus on being dragons.

    Dracthyr are dragons, not humans or elves who turn into them. This isn't a DH that play an elf who turns into a demon..
    I mean, that is the problem isn't? it is a DH-like that play an elf that turns into a demon, but they found good to sell as a race as well...

    Regardless, i agree 100% with you, and the rest of the post, i want the race to be worgen level, functional.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Are they meant to blend in? The dragons' developed their humanoid shapes to blend in because their tasks required that. The Dracthyr though are pretty much soldiers.
    Then why you want a humanoid form in the first place? to look cool? if its to look cool you can look like you want, and that include a basic form without shenanigans.

    They are not infilitrators or ambassadors. We don't even know if they go through a Visage ceremony like dragons do or if the forms are constrained to Neltharion's aesthetics.
    Danuser said they do go trough the visage ceremony, the name of the thing is visage after all.

    And It can't be neltharion aesthetics as high/blood elves didn't existed yet.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2022-04-23 at 06:14 AM.

  11. #54291
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The Thrall timewalking book was pretty poor imo.
    It was a very dumb story you shouldn't think about too much, timetraveling alternate Blackmoore natch, but not offensively bad in as much as none of it short of Benedictus ever came up or mattered, and Benedictus's game appearance plays it off as a reveal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    The issue is that by focusing more on the humanoid forms we have now we are losing out on the actual focus on being dragons.
    This is an important part. The human form is just a costume. Making the dragon form you'll be spending most of your time in less of an uncanny valley stick figure will do more for the race than trying to salvage the mess that is the scalies looking like high elves (who didn't exist) and humans (who were savages).
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

    Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

  12. #54292
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Danuser said they do go trough the visage ceremony, the name of the thing is visage after all.

    And It can't be neltharion aesthetics as high/blood elves didn't existed yet.
    Eh elves don't exist in the real world yet we have a lot of people jerking off to them dancing on mailboxes. Something doesn't need to exist for it to be someone's aesthetic. Neltharion apparently likes his women curvy and his men athletic and of all colors.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    This is an important part. The human form is just a costume. Making the dragon form you'll be spending most of your time in less of an uncanny valley stick figure will do more for the race than trying to salvage the mess that is the scalies looking like high elves (who didn't exist) and humans (who were savages).
    I also find it interesting how clearly eastern the design is; Western RPGs tend to depict anthropomorphic beasts as largely bestial but human shaped while Eastern RPGs make them humans with a few bestial features. Shows what the audience for this race is. What's next, catgirls?

  13. #54293
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I also find it interesting how clearly eastern the design is; Western RPGs tend to depict anthropomorphic beasts as largely bestial but human shaped while Eastern RPGs make them humans with a few bestial features. Shows what the audience for this race is. What's next, catgirls?
    That plus the transparent asset reuse is why I really hate their design. One thing about WoW is that the races aren't generally just a dude with cat ears or a girl with a tail or what have you but are actually distinct beast people. While BFA's allied races were sometimes pretty lazy in their asset reuse, they weren't outright against the general visual philosophy of the game. And it's mostly because they're called a race in the first place when they're really just a class with special visual options like the DH.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

    Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

  14. #54294
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I also find it interesting how clearly eastern the design is; Western RPGs tend to depict anthropomorphic beasts as largely bestial but human shaped while Eastern RPGs make them humans with a few bestial features. Shows what the audience for this race is. What's next, catgirls?
    They are, indeed, probably trying to curry interest from the Eastern audience to expand and possibly because China is China.

    Some of it is also possibly artist appeal. There's a certain softness that seems to convey that they wanted them to be cuter or "pretty." Even their wave and animations convey this sense of naive wonder and they've described them in interviews as being more curious than anything else, befitting of having the "mortal scrappiness (ugh)." They're...not really meant to be ferocious like drakonids or whatever else, and I think that's a serious loss.

    Dragons are boring lore-wise but they're still fucking cool visually as a playable idea by virtue of being dragons. Having them be lizard-men with almost Vulpera-like whimsy kinda robs it of that. But there's time to correct.

  15. #54295
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    They are, indeed, probably trying to curry interest from the Eastern audience to expand and possibly because China is China.

    Some of it is also possibly artist appeal. There's a certain softness that seems to convey that they wanted them to be cuter or "pretty." Even their wave and animations convey this sense of naive wonder and they've described them in interviews as being more curious than anything else, befitting of having the "mortal scrappiness (ugh)." They're...not really meant to be ferocious like drakonids or whatever else, and I think that's a serious loss.

    Dragons are boring lore-wise but they're still fucking cool visually as a playable idea by virtue of being dragons. Having them be lizard-men with almost Vulpera-like whimsy kinda robs it of that. But there's time to correct.
    But they are presented as people meant to be soldiers.

  16. #54296
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    But they are presented as people meant to be soldiers.
    Yes, skilled in psychological warfare. Deathwing knew that his enemies wouldn't be able to recover from the mental damage of being defeated by one of these gangly abominations streaking by while throwing rainbow flames going "OwO wot's dis".
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

    Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

  17. #54297
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Yes, skilled in psychological warfare. Deathwing knew that his enemies wouldn't be able to recover from the mental damage of being defeated by one of these gangly abominations streaking by while throwing rainbow flames going "OwO wot's dis".
    "Is that a comically impractical claymore, or are you just happy to see me?"
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  18. #54298
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Yes, skilled in psychological warfare. Deathwing knew that his enemies wouldn't be able to recover from the mental damage of being defeated by one of these gangly abominations streaking by while throwing rainbow flames going "OwO wot's dis".
    Imagine if the female Dracthyr does that "bounce with hands flaying to the side while smiling" thing when idle in her human form . . .
    Also needs pigtails. And maybe a sailor scout heritage armor.

  19. #54299
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    But they are presented as people meant to be soldiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Yes, skilled in psychological warfare. Deathwing knew that his enemies wouldn't be able to recover from the mental damage of being defeated by one of these gangly abominations streaking by while throwing rainbow flames going "OwO wot's dis".
    This is the only explanation, since again, they really are pushing this wide-eyed bullshit - that Neltharion sucked at experimentation as much as his son.

    I'm trying to find the interview in question describing the Dracthyr as such but I'm struggling to - but I swear someone definitely talked about them being this very curious race LEARNING ABOUT MORTALS and the like and kind of set them up as not particularly threatening or the like. It feels like a conscious choice with them having such a soft edge to them.

  20. #54300
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    I'm trying to find the interview in question describing the Dracthyr as such but I'm struggling to - but I swear someone definitely talked about them being this very curious race LEARNING ABOUT MORTALS and the like and kind of set them up as not particularly threatening or the like. It feels like a conscious choice with them having such a soft edge to them.
    Well a lot of them will be learning about mortals first hand in Goldshire and Silvermoon. Got to get some hands on experience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •