Let's hope they sneak in some additional race-themed buildings that signify new settlements. Nelf stuff got a great new update (with multiple tints, just like vanilla Kalimdor) in BFA and they're currently working on Human stuff (revamped Alterac Valley + the new houses Marlamin linked). I guess you could say WoD also brought in updated Draenei and Orc assets they could use.

- - - Updated - - -

Also something that has been bugging me is that there is no toy item to turn into the covenant races (aside from Maldraxxus half-liches), and they usually introduce that when the race is intended to solely be an NPC. See: the Ankoan and Gilbin toys.

Bringing in playable races from the afterlife would be a huge jumping the shark moment.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Bringing in playable races from the afterlife would be a huge jumping the shark moment.
    And how would it be worse than letting the Zandalari join the Horde as a subfaction?
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    And how would it be worse than letting the Zandalari join the Horde as a subfaction?
    Zandalari are still grounded. All this cosmic stuff... the example I always go to is Elder Scrolls, if you've played in that world. Going to the Shadowlands has been like going to Akavir. And playing as those races would be like getting playable Dwemer. Fantasy worlds have aspects of them that are interesting because they are mysterious background elements - to shine the spotlight on those elements is to rob them of what made them interesting in the first place.

I think you're a bit late if you're worrying about the lore jumping the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I think you're a bit late if you're worrying about the lore jumping the shark.
    This is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I mean... the Zandalari are still a grounded Azerothian faction, them joining the horde isn't some unfathomable idea.
    Whereas tge covenants are part of a cosmic plot and are meant to keep Death itself running, living mortals were never even meant to interact with them.

They aren't exactly comparable.

Trans Rights are Human Rights // Elune Says Queer Rights!

I wonder what classes the shadowlands races would get if they became playable.

Venthyr: Warrior, Hunter, Mage, Rogue, Warlock, Monk
    Kyrian: Warrior, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Rogue, Paladin, Monk
    Sylvar: Warrior, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Rogue, Druid, Monk
    Maldraxxian: Warrior, Hunter, Mage, Priest, Rogue, Warlock, Monk

Just a rough idea, assuming that they will all be neutral races as well. I initially didn't want them to be playable, but at this point, I don't really care, I feel like they would add more than they would take away anyway. Lorewise, very few would probably journey to Azeroth, and would be comparable to void elves in raw numbers.

It would be pretty weird playing a Sylvar and getting called a 'Child/Champion of Azeroth'.

For the rest, at least you can kinda dance around that by claiming "oh you actually ARE from Azeroth and just decided to go back and protect it in your new form", whereas Sylvar are native creatures.

But then, we do have Lightforged and Mag'har orcs.
    So, *shrug*
    Last edited by Arafal; 2021-08-25 at 08:41 PM.

Trans Rights are Human Rights // Elune Says Queer Rights!

Don't even entertain the thought, the Shadowlands Races join Alliance or Horde is the worst Allied Race idea ever.

I don't think Blizzard has ever considered stuff like this when making new additions to the present game. It doesn't register for them at all. It's akin to those people that insist we'll never get another class again because Order Halls exist.

Also, finally no longer a Mechagnome!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawn View Post
    Don't even entertain the thought, the Shadowlands Races join Alliance or Horde is the worst Allied Race idea ever.
    The Shadowlands races being neutral and deciding to help the races of Azeroth (who singlehandedly saved them) based on some 9.2 plot (maybe the reveal of Azeroth/A Zereth/Azeroth is a First One thing) isn't the worst idea. Neutrality to some extent will definitely be a thing in 10.0 even though both factions are here forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    This is utterly damning. If I were you my top priority would be finding a new job in a different company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart%27s_law
    I love how quick you are to jump on this post confirming your original opinions. Although I will lend this user the additional credibility of having foreseen the new customization options even though they were contrary to Blizzard's original statement, I don't think we should blindly trust everything he says just for an emotional button-pushing.

However, if these things he's said are true, that could at least be very interesting. I am curious to see how these ideas pan out. Although I'm keeping Blizzard at arm's length due to the suits and the particularly grotesque details of their employee abuse, I am still curious to see if the next expansion really will be anything groundbreaking. @MoFubuki13 has, at least, presented something interesting to muse over, so I can't fault anyone for wanting to believe him.

Ah yes, playable sentient undead zombies reanimated by a magical plague and the power of a human king corrupted by the ghost of an orc from another planet, empowered and locked in a sword and suit of armor by a demon lord from even deeper in space = totally fine
    Playable dead spirits reborn as a new existence in the afterlife and brought back to the world of the living by allies who visited the realms of the dead = total nonsense.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2021-08-25 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Ah yes, playable sentient undead zombies reanimated by the a magical plague and the power of a human king corrupted by the ghost of an orc from another planet, empowered and locked in a sword and suit of armor by a demon lord from even deeper in space = totally fine
    Playable dead spirits reborn as a new existence in the afterlife and brought back to the world of the living by allies who visited the realms of the dead = total nonsense.
    That's the issue with people trying to apply logic to Warcraft. As much as I'm usually a sucker for a consistent story, WoW is, quite frankly, driven by rule of cool. It's been that way since the very inception of Warcraft's lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawn View Post
    It will happen, though.

Ah yes, playable sentient undead zombies reanimated by a magical plague and the power of a human king corrupted by the ghost of an orc from another planet, empowered and locked in a sword and suit of armor by a demon lord from even deeper in space = totally fine
    No, it isn't.

It would finally let players play as vampires, fauns, angels and another kind of undead.

We already have Orcs and Draenei from other planets and realities.
    I'm tempted to apply for a moderator position, just so i can go moderator on your asses.

Now that I think of it, I really do enjoy the aesthetic of the Awakenings logo. Although I'm not sure I can buy it, since we had the exact same leak before Shadowlands down to the name, whoever put it together has really good aesthetic sense. It doesn't look as rough as most WoW expansion logos, and really feels like a new, modern take on what WarCraft should be. Even if it's fake, the design is sincerely top-tier.

I would say, however, that a good way to debunk it would be to look for any snippets of that background pattern online. It looks like a pattern from a pre-existing tapestry (the texture makes me think it could be a carpet), so if we could reverse-search it enough to find the origin, that would debunk it. If it isn't possible to find the origin of the pattern, then that lends more credibility to it.
    Last edited by Le Conceptuel; 2021-08-25 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Now that I think of it, I really do enjoy the aesthetic of the Awakenings logo. Although I'm not sure I can buy it, since we had the exact same leak before Shadowlands down to the name, whoever put it together has really good aesthetic sense. It doesn't look as rough as most WoW expansion logos, and really feels like a new, modern take on what WarCraft should be. Even if it's fake, the design is sincerely top-tier.

I would say, however, that a good way to debunk it would be to look for any snippets of that background pattern online. It looks like a pattern from a pre-existing tapestry, so if we could reverse-search it enough to find the origin, that would debunk it. If it isn't possible to find the origin of the pattern, then that lends more credibility to it.
    It's shitty and 100% fake, but also now I can't ever be sure because the last time I pointed out a bunch of problems with a logo it turned out to be real but just an early placeholder version of the official one.

It's shitty and 100% fake, but also now I can't ever be sure because the last time I pointed out a bunch of problems with a logo it turned out to be real but just an early placeholder version of the official one.
    Which one was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Which one was it?
    The Shadowlands one that leaked with the bastion concept art.