I like him on a personal level, but when he starts in on this insiders stuff it has always struck me as... pathetic, I suppose.

Personally I am all for changes like more customization and solo island expeditions as these all technically increase the quality of the casual experience, but for me what I'm really looking for is an improved endgame experience.

My 2 main issues with the game (I haven't played 9.1 WoW) is that running M+ and the world content portion of the endgame (World Quests, Covenant campaigns, and The Maw) is not enjoyable at all. I personally enjoyed myself raiding in 9.0 and I liked Castle Nathria but I'm hearing people have big issues with SoD and these Domination Sockets system, so that might be another thing they need to look at.

9.1.5 is obviously not going to hold a lot of content in it at all, so if they want to bring people back and "compete" with Endwalker or whatever, it needs heavy systems changes and a new design philosophy for Shadowlands brought with it.

Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    To be fair on the point of there being no new class, keep in mind that we already have twelve which are already difficult to balance properly. Although it would be a useful selling point for 10.0, there would surely be other things they could do to draw people in for such a milestone. Shadowlands does muddy the waters a bit, as it features the first time a second expansion has not had a new class added, so this alteration could mean a few different things; either Blizzard couldn't associate a new class with Shadowlands, they realized a new class would be a bad idea, or they wanted to save the new class for 10.0. The last of those only really works within the narrative that Shadowlands was truly meant to be a filler expansion from the very start, so I suppose varying takes on that could emerge. I, however, think this seems like one of the more realistic bits.

I do agree on Player Housing, though. It's a rather rough idea, and Blizzard has tried something in the ballpark before. If they can't make it fit the style they approve of, I don't think they would be willing to do it at all. As for the fantasy matter, it does seem like "murderhobo" is already pretty hammered-in to our characters. Although WoW has changed pretty dramatically, it has always actually kept certain fantasies, themes, and gameplay details consistent, and Player Housing may violate that.
    There are certain "hail Mary" ideas that you often seen thrown around: world revamps, narrative time skips, player housing, class skins, and so on. Looking at how Blizzard actually develops the game and looking at the direction the game has taken for the past decade or so... this just isn't the company that is going to try to make that pass to save the game. They just aren't in their wheelhouse.

As so-called "tentpole" features go, though, new classes are entirely within this team's wheelhouse. They are mechanically focused and data driven - a new class allows them to riff on their formula in a way that you can't with raid design and the like. This is the team founded on number-crunching, breaking down the numerical theory of each class. The creation of a new class is something that I can see them doing while acting completely "in character" in a way that most other ideas I see suggested simply do not.

That being said, the system they suggested does seem like the kind of disconnected, missing-the-point implementation that we would get if this numbers-focused team was given the task of designing a system that is completely qualitative. It even makes the requisite mistake of potentially tying it into player power when it has no business doing so.
    Last edited by draugril; 2021-08-27 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    It’s not completely new because they said they used island tech for certain randomized elements. Yes it’s a new feature for WoW but compare that to BFA that had two attempts at a new gamemode (both failed) and Legion which introduced an evergreen M+ system and had a meaty artifact system.

It’s smaller than them to the point that people were upset at reveal that Torghast was the only new gamemode and started saying it was maintenance mode already. No, just a smaller expansion, but people have higher expectations for WoW now.

I believe the devs are doing something similar to WoD - Legion but not canceling the expansion to make the next one better... just making a small expansion so they have more time to work on the next one.
    Thats well I'm not sure thats the answer but I don't think they should do it, they should stay with the large expansions, if it means each expansion lasts longer...so be it(World events not interfering that is).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    No huge new features? We just got a Roguelike mode that's completely new in terms of design compared to anything else they've tried.
    Not really. It’s just a pumped up Island Expeditions. It clearly uses that tech or at least their experience made with it. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to significantly improve the fun factor. For some they made it even worse and that’s why Torghast isn’t received positively by the majority.
    _______

I wish I could get aboard the world revamp hypetrain as this is the thing WoW needs the most right now, but I only believe it when I see it. Too often I was hoping for it and got disappointed. Three times not the charm for me, in this case.

By the way, I f* hope they never ever do an expansion again where the zones are disconnected and the new continent is not a seamingless world. This was always something WoW got right, I hate MMORPGs where there are loading screens between zones. And then they did this in Shadowlands - such a massive misfire in my opinion. One thing WoW always had going for it was the open seamingless world.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-08-27 at 05:15 PM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    Personally I am all for changes like more customization and solo island expeditions as these all technically increase the quality of the casual experience, but for me what I'm really looking for is an improved endgame experience.

My 2 main issues with the game (I haven't played 9.1 WoW) is that running M+ and the world content portion of the endgame (World Quests, Covenant campaigns, and The Maw) is not enjoyable at all. I personally enjoyed myself raiding in 9.0 and I liked Castle Nathria but I'm hearing people have big issues with SoD and these Domination Sockets system, so that might be another thing they need to look at.

9.1.5 is obviously not going to hold a lot of content in it at all, so if they want to bring people back and "compete" with Endwalker or whatever, it needs heavy systems changes and a new design philosophy for Shadowlands brought with it.

Here's hoping.
    World quests are indeed much worse than in previous xpacs. Mainly for two reasons:

1) You need to pick up the emissary quests yourself, which is incredibly annoying, especially as a venthyr
    2) you cannot travel through the landmass because it is split as islands and you need to use the gateways

Subjectively speaking, SoD is much more fun than castle nathria though but that didn't make 9.1 a good patch.

I really hope they'll stop those star wars expansions and focus on classic Warcraft themes and local threats like warlords, dragons and so on. Soooooo sick of this overblown epic stuff. It feels like the main story and the "what will come next?!?!" Idea is damaging the game very hard
    Vynd | Zorn | Pheraz | Silwyna | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - My personal Kaldorei army <3 Plus lots of voidy high elves <3

PTR next week!

Trans Rights are Human Rights // Elune Says Queer Rights!

"Shadowlands Update 9.1.5 will be going on the PTR next week, and a lot of what you’ll find in it is the direct result of your collective feedback. It includes long-asked-for changes to make it easier to swap covenants and conduits, updates to make it so you don’t need to repeat covenant campaigns on alts"

Man they should get sued more often!

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...-update/309913
    - Restrictions on swapping covenants removed
    - Conduits energy removed

Good shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    World quests are indeed much worse than in previous xpacs. Mainly for two reasons:

1) You need to pick up the emissary quests yourself, which is incredibly annoying, especially as a venthyr
    2) you cannot travel through the landmass because it is split as islands and you need to use the gateways
    For me currenly they are better. Or rather I should say system overall.

1) Farming single world quests isn't profitable, even min-maxers don't have to do them. If would prefer player power reward from emissary though (like soul ash), but current is still better than Legion/BfA.

2) Emissaries are more varied and often stack up to one zone.

3) Every emissary is gold emissary.

4) Gear is connected to renown, which gives faster ilvl boost for fresh alts.

5) Personally I use engineering wormhole toy on almost every toon and we have flying now, so travelling can be made trivial.

EDIT: Oh shit, they are going further with Covenant and Conduit changes than I even expected.

Once you’ve reached a high Renown threshold, you will thereafter be able to freely switch among any of the four Covenants without cooldown or restriction, as well as use cosmetic rewards that you have earned from one covenant even if you are currently a member of a different one.
    FUCK YES, I was so looking forward to being able to do that.

Legion timewalking "with a couple of twists..." Wonder if that's a hint they're going to finally begin expanding the timewalking system in ways beyond just adding dungeons.

Those 9.1.5 changes are very good. Hopefully the next expansion is designed to be this alt/reroll friendly from the get-go. Not enough to get me to resub as of now, but definitely a positive step.

Maw intro can be skipped with 9.1.5, finally.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Kohtra View Post
    Legion timewalking "with a couple of twists..." Wonder if that's a hint they're going to finally begin expanding the timewalking system in ways beyond just adding dungeons.
    Legion is start of M+ and world quests. Legion had Mage Tower, whole encounters were abandoned in 8.0. We have lot of room to speculate.

lol check out the new Void Elf hairstyles. High Elves! https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ne...update-preview

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Legion is start of M+ and world quests. Legion had Mage Tower, whole encounters were abandoned in 8.0. We have lot of room to speculate.
    They just released the content preview and it looks like it's M+ timewalking.

Covenant swaping for max Renown, October 19th seems like most likely patch day.

- no covenant swap on patch day would create frustration
    - reaching 80 Renown and still no swap would crate frustration

And frustration is something they try to avoid this time.

If they want competing with FF14 in any way, they will release 8.2 PTR on same week. These are often more popular than launches - if hype is done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Very much this. With all these changes, playing SL might become at least tolerable.
    Well, already crossed like half from this list with hope for more.
    Last edited by Dracullus; 2021-08-27 at 05:35 PM.

Players will be able to take advantage of additional fast travel options from Ve’nari’s Refuge to Perdition Hold and Desmotaeron within the Maw by unlocking access to them.
    Fucking finally. Though it is relatively easy to traverse once you know how to do so. Still astounded they didn't think to put something in at the patch's release though.

Show off your complete transmog outfit to chat or online by easily sharing a link to it from the Dressing Room. Players will be able to mouse over these items to see how they can be collected, if they’ve already collected the appearance, or if it’s an appearance that is accessible to the character viewing it.
    I was actually thinking recently about how I was surprised there wasn't a way to link a set.

Mythic+ Timewalking for Legion, very curious to see how this goes. That aside, most of this patch looks pretty solid.

Introducing Legion Timewalking

Delve back into Legion Dungeons with Legion Timewalking and take on the challenges within, including access to Legion Mythic+ dungeons. This event will run for two weeks the first time it runs within the game and then will resume a regular one-week schedule for subsequent bonus events.

Maw Introduction Skippable

Players who have completed the introduction in the Maw on one character will be able to speak to Highlord Darion Mograine in the capital cities to skip it on their alternative characters on their account.
    Island Expeditions: Queue Solo or with a Party

Players who want to take on Island Expeditions are now able to queue for them solo or with a party to enter Normal, Heroic, or Mythic difficulties. There are a bounty of awards just waiting to be plundered.

Talent and Ability Improvements

In 9.1.5 we are working on additional updates to a variety of class talents and class abilities including Conduits, Runecarving, and Covenant class ability tuning.

Allied Race Unlocks

Allied races such as the Kul’Tiran humans, Mechagnomes, and Dark Iron Dwarves, which had a dungeon requirement to unlock them, will no longer need to complete the associated quest to gain access to these races. Players will be able to skip it instead.

Additional Travel Points in The Maw

Players will be able to take advantage of additional fast travel options from Ve’nari’s Refuge to Perdition Hold and Desmotaeron within the Maw by unlocking access to them.

Remote Anima Turn-Ins

Completing quests from Archivist Roh-Suir will provide access to an Anima Diverter within Korthia where Anima can be directly deposited.

Transmogrification Linking

Show off your complete transmog outfit to chat or online by easily sharing a link to it from the Dressing Room. Players will be able to mouse over these items to see how they can be collected, if they’ve already collected the appearance, or if it’s an appearance that is accessible to the character viewing it.

Alt Leveling Improvements

A variety of improvements will be introduced in support of a smoother experience leveling alternate characters through Shadowlands, such as an additional rank of Heirloom upgrades, and improvements to Threads of Fate such as the addition of Torghast as an option and Renown gains for completing bonus objectives.

PvP Gear Power Adjustments

Lower item-level PvP gear will now scale to a higher item-level in PvP situations than before. This should reduce the power level gap so that new characters can feel that they're able to compete in Battlegrounds and Arenas more readily. This change will not affect high item-level PvP gear.

Runecarving Recipes

Drop rates for Runecarving recipes will be increased to 100% drop rate in any dungeon difficulty.

Battle for Azeroth Legacy Loot Rules

Legacy loot rules will be enabled for players at level 60 in all Battle for Azeroth raids and dungeons, causing encounters to drop the number of items as they would randomly drop for a 5-player dungeon party or a 20-player raid.
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ne...update-preview

Juicy stuff.

Trans Rights are Human Rights // Elune Says Queer Rights!