Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    How people here can make wrong predictions.

To be more serious. 9.3 will happen if 10.0 is delayed, simple as that. It's not like it's ultra optimistic prediction.
    Is this some sort of gotcha here? I hope not.

9.1 was rushed out at the end of June and took a full month to not be a buggy piece of shit. It probably was slated for August but emergency measures required it pushed out before it was ready. This was obvious to anyone with a brain.

What they do at the end of the expansion will absolutely have to do with when they announce 10.0.

If it is really big and people want it sooner (world revamp), there is no need for them to drop a 9.3. They never promised 3 patches and its never stated anywhere that people get a refund if it's not X amount of content.

I do expect 9.2.5 for heritage armor (maybe Forsaken can't get any until Sylvanas is "gone", hence none here), extra AR customization and maybe SL ARs.

SL ARs will probably be a nice gap closer for the end expansion drought, considering they still have to put work into them, though their models seem to be pretty advanced with customization, compared to the legion allied races. I'm not even sure if they can equip armor yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    What they do at the end of the expansion will absolutely have to do with when they announce 10.0.

If it is really big and people want it sooner (world revamp), there is no need for them to drop a 9.3. They never promised 3 patches and its never stated anywhere that people get a refund if it's not X amount of content.

I do expect 9.2.5 for heritage armor (maybe Forsaken can't get any until Sylvanas is "gone"), extra AR customization and maybe SL ARs.
    They did actually promise something similar. Ion said this wouldnt be another WoD, which most players would take to mean more than 2 major patches.
    Ion is a lawyer though, so he would be perfectly at home with technical truths, not to mention it was said ages ago, way before 9.1 even, so things could have easily changed in the meantime.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    They did actually promise something similar. Ion said this wouldnt be another WoD, which most players would take to mean more than 2 major patches.
    Ion is a lawyer though, so he would be perfectly at home with technical truths, not to mention it was said ages ago, way before 9.1 even, so things could have easily changed in the meantime.
    Seems like it will only hurt him in the end if he was going solely off of a technicality. The WoW playerbase isn't the brightest, nor the most forgiving. Saying "Hey, this wont be WoD" and then claim that "Well, 9.1 was bigger than 6.1, so no 9.3" while technically true, will just fuel anger. Though I am almost positive at this point there is no 9.3, and he was speaking solely off of a technicality.

They can easily prove that SL was designed to be a smaller expansion without cut content like WoD (its looking to be the case already) and can get away with it that way.

Yes, people will demand refunds/try and sue Blizz but...

If he was really feeling cocky he could say "hey we heard you guys wanted another Legion so we made a smaller expansion to make another Legion :^)"

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    There wasn't one for BfA so I fail to see why you should expect one if 9.2 is the final patch like I expect it is. Legion was a different time, the team was hot off the heels of a very successful expansion compared to the previous one. We are in a very very failed one at the moment.
    Well the usual content of the patch was just hotfixed in in BfA IIRC. They could as well have made the corruption vendor and the tweaks it's own patch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    As I've said before, I fully expect a Ruby Sanctum-esque 9.3, just so they can say this wasn't another WoD.
    I could just see them going for a "plans change /shrug" tbh.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    Is this some sort of gotcha here? I hope not.

9.1 was rushed out at the end of June and took a full month to not be a buggy piece of shit. It probably was slated for August but emergency measures required it pushed out before it was ready. This was obvious to anyone with a brain.
    Aha. It's not like 9.1 was usual 10 weeks on PTR and most patches launch with shit ton of bugs anyway, cause it's pointless keep things on PTR for eternity. Not to mention quarter end is obvious time to release a patch.

It's not gotcha, I just show you any of us can make stupid predictions. For example I really thought TBC will be August. But it's funny to see how people with overblown ego react when they are wrong. Not only you think you were right anyway, but also assume that people actually right have no brain. Nice xD.

I think that 9.1.5 will have something to bait people into talking about 10.0 similar to the HD starting gear and the human houses in the files. They are probably wishing they had Blizzcon this year to announce 10.0 earlier than next year.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can easily prove that SL was designed to be a smaller expansion without cut content like WoD (its looking to be the case already) and can get away with it that way.

Yes, people will demand refunds/try and sue Blizz but...

If he was really feeling cocky he could say "hey we heard you guys wanted another Legion so we made a smaller expansion to make another Legion :^)"
    They really shouldn't, people can wait for the revamp that is supposedly coming. They shouldn't just do "Smaller expansions." It doesn't help them.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Not another WoD could mean alot of things. Even in regards to the framework of the question asked it could just mean we get more than a selfie camera patch in the middle, which we already got.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think that 9.1.5 will have something to bait people into talking about 10.0 similar to the HD starting gear and the human houses in the files. They are probably wishing they had Blizzcon this year to announce 10.0 earlier than next year.
    I think I could bet money that are not wishing they had Blizzcon this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    They really shouldn't, people can wait for the revamp that is supposedly coming. They shouldn't just do "Smaller expansions." It doesn't help them.
    Why not? If this expansion was created smaller on purpose they made the right choice: it was a gamble to see if people would like the weird story and setting and they don't. Smaller concentrated expansion -> larger expansion with broader appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gifdwarf View Post
    Seems like it will only hurt him in the end if he was going solely off of a technicality. The WoW playerbase isn't the brightest, nor the most forgiving. Saying "Hey, this wont be WoD" and then claim that "Well, 9.1 was bigger than 6.1, so no 9.3" while technically true, will just fuel anger. Though I am almost positive at this point there is no 9.3, and he was speaking solely off of a technicality.
    The playerbase is going to be angry no matter what. No change is ever going to make players admit that Blizzard isnt trash, so really I wouldnt care too much about the anger if I was him. The anger is coming, if the expansion is cut short then it is another WoD, if it isnt then we have more SL instead of something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I could just see them going for a "plans change /shrug" tbh.
    They're in hot water with the stakeholders right now. And Ion is someone that can't admit fault in the best of times.

They're in hot water with the stakeholders right now. And Ion is someone that can't admit fault in the best of times.
    Except announcing a better expansion and shortening the one people don't like may increase the value of the company?

I don't think suits are too invested in 9.2.5 vs 9.3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not? If this expansion was created smaller on purpose they made the right choice: it was a gamble to see if people would like the weird story and setting and they don't. Smaller concentrated expansion -> larger expansion with broader appeal.
    They shouldn't try to shorten it even if thats a thing which has no evidence on that.

Except announcing a better expansion and shortening the one people don't like may increase the value of the company?
    People have disliked every expansion since Legion. That won't change, better to just keep the big expaansions as they've always done regardless. Its a proven method that works.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I don't think suits are too invested in 9.2.5 vs 9.3.
    It might work like that, it might not.
    Shareholders might look at the outcry and consider both viable options, it isnt like there is one obvious choice for what would make the most profit in this case.

I disagree. First of all releasing a new expansion is a massive chunk of revenue, that allone makes your numbers look better in one single go. Having an expansion on extensive life support doesn't do much here, even at the best of times. The only argument against a short SL is if they are so catastrophically behind that they need another year to build up enough buffer of content or run the risk of crashing the product with more than a year of no updates.

Furthermore, no one owns Blizzard shares, only ActiBlizz shares as such exist. The overall stock doesn't care much about Blizzard having a bad year, the lawsuit had way more impact on that. While it may not look pretty for Blizzard internally, as long as CoD and King make enough dough the shareholders are happy.

Personally I don't see what a 9.2.5 patch can accomplish that a 10.0 pre-patch couldn't do the exact same thing. Perhaps the solution here is to simply have the pre-patch arrive earlier than usual. I know for SL people were desiring the pre-patch to be at least 2 months before the actual expansion launch, and were disappointed that didn't happen.

I'm not being a devil's advocate here, I really just think that if 10.0 has the possibility to be looked at much more fondly than SL, than they should look at every opportunity to cram spare content into its life cycle rather than SL, beyond the point of doing what's absolutely needed to revive faith in the company regarding SL and get people back to playing it and being excited for 10.0.

So as an example, the priority should be looking like:

1.) Re-establish connection with community and make 9.1.5. the "we're sorry" patch and get people at least cautiously optimistic about the future of WoW if it's not possible to get them to re-sub for 9.1.5 itself.

2.) Put the lion's share of development effort into an epic 9.2 with a lot of content and heavy systems changes that fundamentally alters SL in a way that 9.1.5 cannot, and have that be their gambit for getting many people to re-sub so they can tie in that momentum into 10.0.

3.) Beyond that, stop development on SL and refocus all efforts into 10.0 and beyond.
    Last edited by Edward Wu; 2021-09-02 at 05:22 PM.