Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    They did actually promise something similar. Ion said this wouldnt be another WoD, which most players would take to mean more than 2 major patches.
    Ion is a lawyer though, so he would be perfectly at home with technical truths, not to mention it was said ages ago, way before 9.1 even, so things could have easily changed in the meantime.
    Not another WoD could mean alot of things. Even in regards to the framework of the question asked it could just mean we get more than a selfie camera patch in the middle, which we already got.
    #1) MMO-C should be glad that the British Empire is no more, because they'd want a piece of all the copium trade here.
    #2) Angry players come to the forums to complain about the game... but what loser only comes to the forums to complain about the forums and its users?
    #3)Felating Blizzard too eagerly may lead to oxygen deficiency and worst case asphyxiation. Long-term effects range from delusions up to cerebral necrosis. #4) The WoW playerbase doesn't deserve housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    I think that 9.1.5 will have something to bait people into talking about 10.0 similar to the HD starting gear and the human houses in the files. They are probably wishing they had Blizzcon this year to announce 10.0 earlier than next year.
    I think I could bet money that are not wishing they had Blizzcon this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    They really shouldn't, people can wait for the revamp that is supposedly coming. They shouldn't just do "Smaller expansions." It doesn't help them.
    Why not? If this expansion was created smaller on purpose they made the right choice: it was a gamble to see if people would like the weird story and setting and they don't. Smaller concentrated expansion -> larger expansion with broader appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gifdwarf View Post
    Seems like it will only hurt him in the end if he was going solely off of a technicality. The WoW playerbase isn't the brightest, nor the most forgiving. Saying "Hey, this wont be WoD" and then claim that "Well, 9.1 was bigger than 6.1, so no 9.3" while technically true, will just fuel anger. Though I am almost positive at this point there is no 9.3, and he was speaking solely off of a technicality.
    The playerbase is going to be angry no matter what. No change is ever going to make players admit that Blizzard isnt trash, so really I wouldnt care too much about the anger if I was him. The anger is coming, if the expansion is cut short then it is another WoD, if it isnt then we have more SL instead of something else.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I could just see them going for a "plans change /shrug" tbh.
    They're in hot water with the stakeholders right now. And Ion is someone that can't admit fault in the best of times.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    They're in hot water with the stakeholders right now. And Ion is someone that can't admit fault in the best of times.
    Except announcing a better expansion and shortening the one people don't like may increase the value of the company?

I don't think suits are too invested in 9.2.5 vs 9.3.

Why not? If this expansion was created smaller on purpose they made the right choice: it was a gamble to see if people would like the weird story and setting and they don't. Smaller concentrated expansion -> larger expansion with broader appeal.
    They shouldn't try to shorten it even if thats a thing which has no evidence on that.

Except announcing a better expansion and shortening the one people don't like may increase the value of the company?
    People have disliked every expansion since Legion. That won't change, better to just keep the big expaansions as they've always done regardless. Its a proven method that works.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance

Warrior-Magi

I don't think suits are too invested in 9.2.5 vs 9.3.
    It might work like that, it might not.
    Shareholders might look at the outcry and consider both viable options, it isnt like there is one obvious choice for what would make the most profit in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    I disagree. First of all releasing a new expansion is a massive chunk of revenue, that allone makes your numbers look better in one single go. Having an expansion on extensive life support doesn't do much here, even at the best of times. The only argument against a short SL is if they are so catastrophically behind that they need another year to build up enough buffer of content or run the risk of crashing the product with more than a year of no updates.

Furthermore, no one owns Blizzard shares, only ActiBlizz shares as such exist. The overall stock doesn't care much about Blizzard having a bad year, the lawsuit had way more impact on that. While it may not look pretty for Blizzard internally, as long as CoD and King make enough dough the shareholders are happy.
    #1) MMO-C should be glad that the British Empire is no more, because they'd want a piece of all the copium trade here.
    #2) Angry players come to the forums to complain about the game... but what loser only comes to the forums to complain about the forums and its users?
    #3)Felating Blizzard too eagerly may lead to oxygen deficiency and worst case asphyxiation. Long-term effects range from delusions up to cerebral necrosis. #4) The WoW playerbase doesn't deserve housing.

Personally I don't see what a 9.2.5 patch can accomplish that a 10.0 pre-patch couldn't do the exact same thing. Perhaps the solution here is to simply have the pre-patch arrive earlier than usual. I know for SL people were desiring the pre-patch to be at least 2 months before the actual expansion launch, and were disappointed that didn't happen.

I'm not being a devil's advocate here, I really just think that if 10.0 has the possibility to be looked at much more fondly than SL, than they should look at every opportunity to cram spare content into its life cycle rather than SL, beyond the point of doing what's absolutely needed to revive faith in the company regarding SL and get people back to playing it and being excited for 10.0.

So as an example, the priority should be looking like:

1.) Re-establish connection with community and make 9.1.5. the "we're sorry" patch and get people at least cautiously optimistic about the future of WoW if it's not possible to get them to re-sub for 9.1.5 itself.

2.) Put the lion's share of development effort into an epic 9.2 with a lot of content and heavy systems changes that fundamentally alters SL in a way that 9.1.5 cannot, and have that be their gambit for getting many people to re-sub so they can tie in that momentum into 10.0.

3.) Beyond that, stop development on SL and refocus all efforts into 10.0 and beyond.
    Last edited by Edward Wu; 2021-09-02 at 05:22 PM.

Ptr build coming up yet?

The only hot water Blizz would get into is if there can be a considerable case made against them that the expansion was planned to be three major patches and they lied/went on their word. All that has been mentioned is "it's not another WoD' which can be construed as anything from "it's not an unfinished expansion" to "it's not a camera patch and a single patch".

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    Personally I don't see what a 9.2.5 patch can accomplish that a 10.0 pre-patch couldn't do the exact same thing. Perhaps the solution here is to simply have the pre-patch arrive earlier than usual. I know for SL people were desiring the pre-patch to be at least 2 months before the actual expansion launch, and were disappointed that didn't happen.

I'm not being a devil's advocate here, I really just think that if 10.0 has the possibility to be looked at much more fondly than SL, than they should look at every opportunity to cram spare content into its life cycle rather than SL, beyond the point of doing what's absolutely needed to revive faith in the company regarding SL and get people back to playing it and being excited for 10.0.
    A minor patch in the drought could accomplish lasting much longer than a pre-patch. Afterall, a minor patch like that can last for easily upwards of 5-6 months. A pre-patch meanwhile doesnt really last longer than a month, even Cata with it's longest ever pre-patch was only so long because they split the content in pre-cata and post-cata EK/Kalimdor.

That's exactly it. A 10.0 requires the next expansion to be done by the time you release it. A 9.2.5 you can drop somwhere in the middle of the wait for 10.0, which could be everything from 8 to 14+ months after 9.2 (if we don't see a 9.3), and that is just going by historical data. .5 patches could also be hot fixes, it doesn't really matter how you label it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That's exactly it. A 10.0 requires the next expansion to be done by the time you release it. A 9.2.5 you can drop somwhere in the middle of the wait for 10.0, which could be everything from 8 to 14+ months after 9.2 (if we don't see a 9.3), and that is just going by historical data. .5 patches could also be hot fixes, it doesn't really matter how you label it.
    Yep. I think if we pull all 8.3 hotfixes together it's on par with 7.3.5.

So as an example, the priority should be looking like:

1.) Re-establish connection with community and make 9.1.5. the "we're sorry" patch and get people at least cautiously optimistic about the future of WoW if it's not possible to get them to re-sub for 9.1.5 itself.

2.) Put the lion's share of development effort into an epic 9.2 with a lot of content and heavy systems changes that fundamentally alters SL in a way that 9.1.5 cannot, and have that be their gambit for getting many people to re-sub so they can tie in that momentum into 10.0.

3.) Beyond that, stop development on SL and refocus all efforts into 10.0 and beyond.
    The problem with this plan is that waiting between 9.2 & 10.0 is going to take a long time. It's part of what Blizz has constantly gotten hit by in every expansion...the long wait between the final raid patch & the next expansion coming out. Not having a 9.2.5 means not having something to keep the momentum going, and WoW feeds on momentum strongly. Having a 9.2.5 gives at least a small bump to keep players a bit more interested and/or with things to do until 10.0 comes out.

I'm not saying it has to be huge, but it should do something to keep the players interested. A couple story quests, maybe some heritage armor, perhaps even an early release of a new BG or races/classes if any are slated for 10.0. After all, look how good 7.3.5 did with the Allied Races & Seething Shore to keep people playing until BfA was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Yep. I think if we pull all 8.3 hotfixes together it's on par with 7.3.5.
    They chopped some BfA features that were already finished out and sold them early to drive pre-order sales (mostly allied races). I guess they could do the same, but it would hardly be the same as some customizations as we originally talked about.

Apparently a good number of story devs are hinting about the patch. I think its very possible it will have a story continuation, just not part of the "campaign".

Apparently a good number of story devs are hinting about the patch. I think its very possible it will have a story continuation, just not part of the "campaign".
    Most likely some interaction with Sylvanas while Primus is totally working on key to Sepulcher and it must take 7 months.

It could be tied to Renown, honestly. Just add a flag at Renown 80 to go back to Oribos for a single quest where you see Sylvanas wake up and tell everyone where the Jailer is going.

Maybe we could actually get a motivation for once, that would be neat.