10+ Year Old Account
    Nostalgia chasing is not healthy.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    He just needs the item in my signature.

7+ Year Old Account
    Woah! Vanilla = greatest still lives!
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Context. I was speaking to the potential of the game, not the game as it was, but how it could be. But if you need to take things out of context to make your point... all the more power to you. I wish you luck in your continued efforts tilting at windmills.
    I know you are trying really hard to save face right now, but there is zero context where the the statement: "I want the game to be as great as it was when it released." does not mean "the game as it was". You are not going to convince me or yourself that what you really meant with that extremely clear sentence was actually "I want the game to be as great as it could have potentially been but wasn't when it was released".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    I wholly maintain that those features would have been absolute hits if they: (a) Received the same backing that core features like raids and dungeons received, and (b) were allowed to function as features unto themselves.

Blizzard is too afraid to let that "engagement" metric drop, so they make this "alternative" content mandatory in some way by tying player power into it. Whether it be high item level gear, AP, or legendary power or whatever, instead of island expeditions or Torghast or Warfronts or Horrific Visions being designed according to their own conceptual strength with unique progression systems... they get spooked and tie it into player power. And when that happens, they begin to actively design these features directly for people that don't want to be doing the content in the first place.

So who benefits?

The people that want to focus on their raids and dungeons are spending time on tasks that are superfluous to them just to maintain viability.
    And the people that were interested in this "alternate" content conceptually get a watered down and ultimately abandoned implementation.
    But that "engagement" metric goes up.

So the only person who benefits is whoever convinced the directors that the engagement metric is indicative of overall player satisfaction. And they weren't necessarily wrong at the outset - the problem is that any measure that becomes a target ceases to be a good measure.
    They might've been hits, maybe. I do feel from what we've seen that each had a major flaw even beyond the player power aspect which even with the same backing would have been an issue. Islands had the issue of seeking specific treasures which led to pug fights when people wanted different items. Even with more time/backing, these likely would've been loot slot machines. Warfronts were just boring due to the built in wait times inherent in their design. More time might've helped here to narrow down the timing, but the mere design showed why RTS design doesn't fit well in an MMO. Torghast perhaps could've been better as a feature by itself, 9.2 may give us answers there. Covenants...that one had perhaps too much backing & swallowed everything around it. They would've probably been better as cosmetic only with the soulbind/powers split off into something else.

But I do agree that tying them into player power probably hurts them in an overall sense. Pet battles are fun to some & ignored by others, but they'd probably be universally hated if they were required to raid. I think this is partially why housing is so popular while Garrisons were reviled: Garrisons were forced & swallowed everything whereas most player housing systems are just an outside system for casual endgame. Having played a few MMOs during this stretch, WoW definitely could use a better setup for the casual endgame. Suramar was great for that, Korthia just feels weak in comparison.

Bloodsail Admiral Foreign Exchange Ztudent's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Content is always going to win out over feature sets. The Box Features have been extremely risky and there seems to be no one in the accounting teams and marketing teams that have done any risk management analysis on their features for their upcoming expansion releases.

I don't think this has much to do with player power. They needed player power for a purpose otherwise we would have no reason to engage with the game and as such they came up with that idea and have ran it into the ground. They still missing the mark on recognizing that players just want more content in the game world though. (Not just the World itself but Dungeons, Raids and so forth)
    Last edited by Foreign Exchange Ztudent; 2021-11-29 at 10:44 PM.
    I no longer reply to quotations beyond if you're asking a genuine question or have a non-confrontational stance.

Nihil.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    Having played a few MMOs during this stretch, WoW definitely could use a better setup for the casual endgame. Suramar was great for that, Korthia just feels weak in comparison.
    Suramar was really visually impressive, big zone. But it had literally two things going on: lot of max level story progression and withered training minigame. It's not like we don't have it in BfA/Legion - Boralus, Dazal'Alor, Revendreth are equality visually impressive, BfA had a looot more questing experience (but instead of max level if was 'play another faction' thing), SL campaigns put together have lot of questing as well (but I won't deny SL is smaller expansion than Legion/BfA in general), no matter what you think about launch Warfronts/Islands/Torghast it's all bigger than Withered training.

Korthia is different kind of zone. Suramar didn't have anything for catch up, barely anything for collectors. That was Broken Shore and Argus. From design perspective Korthia picked best stuff from Nazjatar/Mechagon and eats BS/Argus on breakfast. But of course it's ugly, small and you can't fly there.

That's why Zereth Mortis has huge potential. It's big, pretty like TI/Mechagon, has flying. If design will be similar to Korthia, it will be best max level zone ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Suramar was really visually impressive, big zone. But it had literally two things going on: lot of max level story progression and withered training minigame. It's not like we don't have it in BfA/Legion - Boralus, Dazal'Alor, Revendreth are equality visually impressive, BfA had a looot more questing experience (but instead of max level if was 'play another faction' thing), SL campaigns put together have lot of questing as well (but I won't deny SL is smaller expansion than Legion/BfA in general), no matter what you think about launch Warfronts/Islands/Torghast it's all bigger than Withered training.

Korthia is different kind of zone. Suramar didn't have anything for catch up, barely anything for collectors. That was Broken Shore and Argus. From design perspective Korthia picked best stuff from Nazjatar/Mechagon and eats BS/Argus on breakfast. But of course it's ugly, small and you can't fly there.

That's why Zereth Mortis has huge potential. It's big, pretty like TI/Mechagon, has flying. If design will be similar to Korthia, it will be best max level zone ever made.
    For sure, withered training is nothing compared to Islands or Torghast. But it isn't meant to be, it's just a small mini-game. Moreso what I'm referring to there is how much of a story was there specific to endgame. Suramar had a lot of questing to do & a lot of story to unfold, but it presented it in such a way that you wanted to build up to see the next portion. The story eventually culminated with the Nighthold raid, but the entirety of getting there from building the Arcandor & portal network to sneaking around town in disguise to doing small dailies to build the place up (like the wine vat) gave the whole zone a feel of casual endgame. Nazjatar & Mechagon were somewhat similar, though not nearly to the same extent. Those went from consistent zones to open to simply being daily zones real quick.

I'm hopeful for ZM as well. Unlocking part of the zone behind the Cypher (which isn't tied to player power) has amazing potential & sounds really cool. While I don't think it'll save Shadowlands from an overall sense, I could absolutely see that being a bright spark that helps WoW get back on track in 9.2 & perhaps giving some momentum for 10.0.

10+ Year Old Account
    ZM has a lot of potential for sure. I'm quit skeptical but we shall see. Hopefully ptr tomorrow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Btw, we got this years super duper secret, foreshadow-y voice lines.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/warcraftlor...oracles_lines/

A Stillness falls.

You will banish the Silence.

The design must endure.

The cosmos has been shaped, but nothing is fated.

Their song flows through me.

Can you hear their echoes?

Harmonies merge between us.

The path is revealed to you.

Six voices in discord. Without harmony, the anthem will be ended.

Her dreams sing beneath the surface. Quite now, but her voice will awaken the others.

Mortis, Lumen, Ordos; rhythm and structure.

Vita, Umbra, Tumult; improvisation and possibility.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Btw, we got this years super duper secret, foreshadow-y voice lines.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/warcraftlor...oracles_lines/
    Not much to speculate about besides "her dreams sing beneath the surface. quiet now, but her voice will awaken the others." Talking about Azeroth? She perhaps being a First One?
    The rest of the quotes seem quite clear.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiHext View Post
    Not much to speculate about besides "her dreams sing beneath the surface. quiet now, but her voice will awaken the others." Talking about Azeroth? She perhaps being a First One?
    The rest of the quotes seem quite clear.
    Of course its Azeroth, its always Azeroth.

While nothing is out of ordinary and not surprising in the slightest, it is interesting that they put Life between Chaos and Void.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    What about an expansion on the moons of azeroth?
    That would be way too blatant and desperate right now.

While nothing is out of ordinary and not surprising in the slightest, it is interesting that they put Life between Chaos and Void.
    Makes sense. Life implies for development and growth. Chaos and Void provoke other forces (unknowingly) to develop and grow.
    Last edited by Zers Editor; 2021-11-30 at 09:02 AM.

Life is unpredictable, just like Void and Chaos.

Light and Order are striving for strict structure of the cosmos, and Death has atleast been built into being so.

Oh, Shadowlands has redeeming qualities when it comes to lore, storytelling and its narrative? That's indeed breaking news.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

"Six voices in discord." Legions wins!

I've noted that before. Death, Light and Order all have a common theme, as do Disorder, Life and Void. The former three will all eventually lead to a static, unchanging situation, while the latter are the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post
    "Six voices in discord." Legions wins!
    Nah, they're just all in voice chat yelling at each other.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Whats with the stupid one liners the whole time?

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Whats with the stupid one liners the whole time?
    Fortune cookie overdose