Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Not really?

They always showcase at least a little bit of the new zone/dungeon/raid/system updates, this time we got nothing but a replay of the cinematic trailer.
    Ion shut down any talk regarding gameplay systems pretty much immediately, and the rest of the panel was just muffin man going "Look at this mount! LOOK. AT. IT!"

Compared to previous patch announcements, this is quite lacking.
    8.2 reveal was very similar, there was no talk about essences and systems details. No wonder, these things can be controversial, showing new content and rewards isn't. And they talked only about 9.1, not even about 9.1.5.

Time will tell. Let's judge from PTR - when it will start and what will be done in first builds.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    8.2 reveal was very similar, there was no talk about essences and systems details. No wonder, these things can be controversial, showing new content and rewards isn't. And they talked only about 9.1, not even about 9.1.5.

Time will tell. Let's judge from PTR - when it will start and what will be done in first builds.
    Yeah when and how big the first PTR build is will tell us far more about where we're at timeline wise than this preview.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account

I hope they prove me wrong. If the ptr launches before late April I will be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Nah 10.0 is the Turalyon, Y'rel, and Light expansion at this point.
    Cata 2 is looking like it'll juggle Light, Void AND Dragons all at the same time.

Absolutely possible if they are spread throughout revamped questlines in both continents (especially when Kalimdor is more Void and EK is more Light) as well as Dragon Isles for new areas.

I am worried that this is looking like Summer patch at this point.

Sounds like 9.0.5 will be coming to stay for a while
    Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    No. On these forums any updates mean an expansion hint.
    Wrathin comes back? Dragon expansion clearly!
    LK part of a quest? Wotlk 2 clearly!
    Sylvanas working with a death master? Shadowlands clearly!

At the point we're headed for Wrath of the Shdowlands Dragon Isles Lich and tinkers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    Cata 2 is looking like it'll juggle Light, Void AND Dragons all at the same time.

Absolutely possible if they are spread throughout revamped questlines in both continents (especially when Kalimdor is more Void and EK is more Light) as well as Dragon Isles for new areas.
    Bold of you to epect a revamp. Or Void and Dragons.

I think it'll be just Light shoved into some random island.

Bold of you to epect a revamp. Or Void and Dragons.

I think it'll be just Light shoved into some random island.
    I mean I hope you don't think they namedropped the Dragon Isles for cut content and then remodeled the Infinite Dragon for a pirate joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    I mean I hope you don't think they namedropped the Dragon Isles for cut content and then remodeled the Infinite Dragon for a pirate joke.
    Look after that cinematic I'm going to expect only disappointment and bad writing. Though maybe they shove light onto Dragon Isles. No revamp though.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Some new info from interviews:

- 9.1 won't have new systems, just extension of existing ones
    - flying will be for completing campaign, so probably it will be just timegate
    - there will be some partial rewards when you fail Thorghast
    - "Korthia is part of the Maw. The Maw will have a new subzone unlocked with 9.1 in addition to Korthia" - not sure if it's bad English, but this suggest Maw will have another subzone, which I doubt
    - patch 9.1 will add ways to counter the Eye of the Jailer in the Maw and Korthia
    - last 3 bosses of dungeon are "interdimensional chase scene", pirate dragon is from Boralus
    - main story will be heavy and dark (bolm claim blizz), dungeon story light to contrast (so something like Mechagon)

So far 9.1 is almost 1:1 of what I predicted, only change is Broker dungeon (I thought megadungeon will be Kel'Thuzad, he turn out as one of raid bosses). Also I hoped we go back to Legion structure, doesn't look that way.

Having thought about it, I do feel that what these panels lacked really was info on 9.2.
    My guess is that they didnt want to show it because it will spoil the ending of 9.1, but it does make the lack of stuff to talk about for 9.1 more obvious.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

15+ Year Old Account
    Some new info from interviews:

- 9.1 won't have new systems, just extension of existing ones
    - flying will be for completing campaign, so probably it will be just timegate
    - there will be some partial rewards when you fail Thorghast
    - "Korthia is part of the Maw. The Maw will have a new subzone unlocked with 9.1 in addition to Korthia" - not sure if it's bad English, but this suggest Maw will have another subzone, which I doubt
    - patch 9.1 will add ways to counter the Eye of the Jailer in the Maw and Korthia
    - last 3 bosses of dungeon are "interdimensional chase scene", pirate dragon is from Boralus
    - main story will be heavy and dark (bolm claim blizz), dungeon story light to contrast (so something like Mechagon)

So far 9.1 is almost 1:1 of what I predicted, only change is Broker dungeon (I thought megadungeon will be Kel'Thuzad, he turn out as one of raid bosses). Also I hoped we go back to Legion structure, doesn't look that way.
    Thanks!

Anything about Tyrande ?
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Having thought about it, I do feel that what these panels lacked really was info on 9.2.
    My guess is that they didnt want to show it because it will spoil the ending of 9.1, but it does make the lack of stuff to talk about for 9.1 more obvious.
    I actually think SL is going to be longer than any other expansion for sure now, the lack of 9.2 hinting and covid stuff will probably make patches last longer, and I am honestly okay with it. We will probably only get 9.1 this year.

7+ Year Old Account
    You know, I'd be fine if Blizz just stopped producing mounts and just gave players more transmog gear.
    Like those cov cosmetic sets they just shown? :v

- - - Updated - - -

Damn Towelliee went hard on Blizzard after that panel. Said 9.1 is probably summer and 9.2 might be next year, with Shadowlands being a three year expansion.

He's optimistic on the three year expansion, though. If that timeline is legit it's just gonna end in 9.2.
    Nice take. And he based that on what, because that sounds like a random MMO-C user crack theory?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gifdwarf View Post
    I actually think SL is going to be longer than any other expansion for sure now, the lack of 9.2 hinting and covid stuff will probably make patches last longer, and I am honestly okay with it. We will probably only get 9.1 this year.
    That sounds unlikely honestly. Even with a very conservative estimate of 9.1 in late May that still leaves over half a year for 9.2. Unless Blizzard is actually planning to end the expansion at 9.2 that would be far longer time to wait than it has any rights to be.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    Thanks!

Anything about Tyrande ?
    No from I heard. But isn't that obvious Tyrande will be present in final fight with Sylvanas? They prepared us for years that she will be one, not Greymane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    That sounds unlikely honestly. Even with a very conservative estimate of 9.1 in late May that still leaves over half a year for 9.2. Unless Blizzard is actually planning to end the expansion at 9.2 that would be far longer time to wait than it has any rights to be.
    Yeah at this point I have no idea, it would be hard to tell normally plus the covid stuff this year just makes it even more difficult. I think it's unlikely that it will end with 9.2 though, we will probably just see a lot of content spread as thin as it can be. The only reason why I think it's possible for a 2022 9.2 is if they spread out 9.0.5 and 9.1.5. for as long as humanly possible. I'd prefer if we get 9.2 before November though.

Bah, I knew it. 9.1 raid armors are just the legendary skins, no class tier sets until 9.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gifdwarf View Post
    I'd say it's the exact opposite and Shadowlands overall will be shorter. Why I say so? They for sure won't release the next expansion three years from Shadowlands, meaning their latest possible release date for 10.0 is December 2022. And this means Shadowlands maximum length is roughly 24 months. I'd rather expect them striving for another August release with the next expansion, so that even would make it way shorter than 2 years. But again, the maximum length for this expansion will be 24 months / December 2022. Blizzard won't release the next expansion in 2023 as this would simply look bad on paper (Shadowlands 2020 - 10.x 2023).

Final Fantasy XIV will have another massive expansion (Endwalker) later this year in fall - they cannot release 9.2 in fall so I guess 9.1.5 will be released around the time of Endwalker in September / October and 9.2 might be a late November / December release.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-02-20 at 10:10 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

it could probably go either way at this point, I'm hoping it's longer, but only if that increases the chances of a world revamp lol.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I'd say it's the exact opposite and Shadowlands overall will be shorter. Why I say so? They for sure won't release the next expansion three years from Shadowlands, meaning their latest possible release date for 10.0 is December 2022. And this means Shadowlands maximum length is roughly 24 months. I'd rather expect them striving for another August release with the next expansion, so that even would make it way shorter than 2 years. But again, the maximum length for this expansion will be 24 months / December 2022. Blizzard won't release the next expansion in 2023 as this would simply look bad on paper (Shadowlands 2020 - 10.x 2023).

Final Fantasy XIV will have another massive expansion (Endwalker) later this year in fall - they cannot release 9.2 in fall so I guess 9.1.5 will be released around the time of Endwalker in September / October and 9.2 might be a late November / December release.
    Depend what 10.0 will be. If regular expansion with 5-6 zones and new endgame, yeah releasing it 2023 would look bad.

But when I look from things in perspective, I really start to believe 10.0 will be world revamp (and remember it has to be bigger than 4.0, zones are outdated as hell, zones would have to be recreated almost from scratch to meet current standards). SL is much better thought expansion than BfA and probably even Legion, but you can tell less resources were put into game. I compare it to BfA, which I remind was released just 8 monhts after well supported Legion. SL was released 11 months after 8.3 which obviously was smaller than originally planned.

(I won't judge patches, it wouldn't be fair comparing just 9.1 to 8.1-3)
    - 4 big zones/1 small zone/1 city vs 6 big zones/2 cities + BfA had SHIT TON of main and side questlines, basically two expansions worth of content
    - 8 dungeons vs 10 dungeons
    - Torghast vs. Islands/Warfronts content/rewards (rememberI don't compare quality, but quantity)
    - more customization vs 5 reskinned races+Nightbornes

And here typical whiner would say "Blizzard is lazy", but it's of course stupid, dev team hasn't changed and Blizzard doesn't pay their devs to do nothing. And we doesn't talk about gradual decrease in quantity, but 30-40% decrease in single expansion. My theory is that every year more and more of WoW team is designing zones and questing for world revamp.

Also makes you think what exactly Tom Chilton was doing last few years. People rumor some huge new project, maybe even new MMO (but repeating Titan wouldn't make sense, right?). What if we should dream even bigger and 10.0 is Azeroth revamp and switch to new engine? Maybe current Ion goal is to keep players as long as he can before huge reveal on Blizzcon next year?