Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post

So... someone in a WoW RP Discord I'm in posted this, what do you guys think? I know that a 400 year timeskip may be highly unlikely though
    It's all not going to happen.

7+ Year Old Account
    With the corona push backs, the current shitstorm and Blizzards inability to think things through, i really doubt we are gonna get something particularly grand.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    The issue is that it is a one way ticket forever.

Once you do this, you can no longer undo this and a lot of Warcraft core stories really depend on Horde being Horde and Alliance being Alliance and not some big happy family with different colored T-shirts.
    Bullshit. In lore, they've been cooperating repeatedly, even when they were technically at war. They've not always done it well, but they do band together when the situation demands it. The hard faction barrier is the unrealistic part. There's also several neutral organisations, some of which are even mandatory for certain classes.

The PCs are supposed to be independent agents anyway. It makes little sense to restrict them in this way.

Nuclear option would be to dissolve the factions entirely. That's a completely different beast. This only asks for allowing them to group together, which is actually what the lore suggests should be the situation to begin with. Horde and Alliance where never so at odds that they wouldn't even consider cooperation. You're being highly dishonest here.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I like Ion, but I do think at least some of the management needs to step down or move on to a new project. Ion was a great lead encounter designer. Make him that again. I would rather have someone like Muffins leading the game. Gameplay first, numbers second kind of person.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they have to add a new class for 10.0.

IM hoping they do a world revamp with more modern graphics in EK and Kalimdor. Every zone is at least up to Pandaria's quality. New class. 1-2 new races. Dragon Isles continent with 5 zones. One for each flight.
    I wasn't sure about Muffinus leading the game, still am not, I'm paranoid every public-facing dev at this point is implicated.

But I will say he had one tweet after this broke where he called out that the game needs to step up its anti-toxicity mechanics. Maybe a day late and a plan short, but any dev that singles out that WoW's community is a cess pool that it turns out perfectly reflected its dev team gets my vote of confidence.

Ion, however, I think needs to move to a new project entirely. Raids are fine without him, and he clearly has ideas about how this game should play that don't mesh with WoW. Shuffle him over to Diablo 4 IMO, I think his rotational philosophy would work well there.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

It is definitely time for WoW 2.0

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fooxy View Post
    Do you think 10.0 will bring in either new specs for classes or a new class?

New specs being Necromancer for DK etc or a new class like Tinker?

If they did go down the route where they would add 1 additional spec for all classes that would break into a talent tree system what other specs could we have for what classes?
    I feel it's likely that we'll get both a new class & perhaps new races as well. After all the PR issues with Shadowlands, I think Blizz knows that 10.0 needs a win both in quality & in marketing. Hearing about a new class & new races tends to generate at least short term excitement for the game.

I doubt it'll be new specs though. That would either involve 12 new specs to balance/create or having some classes specifically skipped which may not feel good for those players. A new class will likely generate more press interest & be less work overall.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    I feel it's likely that we'll get both a new class & perhaps new races as well. After all the PR issues with Shadowlands, I think Blizz knows that 10.0 needs a win both in quality & in marketing. Hearing about a new class & new races tends to generate at least short term excitement for the game.

I doubt it'll be new specs though. That would either involve 12 new specs to balance/create or having some classes specifically skipped which may not feel good for those players. A new class will likely generate more press interest & be less work overall.
    Again, hard to do quality when corona and scandals fucks up your team. They have big problems pushing a standard content patch, let alone a quality expansion.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-08-01 at 09:40 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gifdwarf View Post
    Stop deflecting and actually form a reply. How are the hand mounts and giant flying brain any less ridiculous than flying birds and pigs?
    Hey, bad faith arguments get bad faith replies, especially hostile ones. It should be obvious what I'm talking about and that level of opposition is uncharitable. But...

I don't believe I've said ONLY store mounts are the issue. There's a whole category of mounts both ingame and in the store. HOWEVER, store mounts are far more in volume within this category and much easier to obtain than say the brain mount, so they tend to clutter up hubs far easier. There's no achievement, there's nothing to actually show other than "I paid for this!" Which wouldn't really be an issue personally if it was just mildly different version of an ingame mount but they tend to be overly flashy and in your face, which becomes annoying rather than "Wow! Neat mount!" I mean, flashy and annoying would be somewhat tolerable if it was a specially acquired mount, to actually act as a trophy for the grind.

So what would this toggle do? Restrict certain models (ones not acquired through special circumstances like raid achievements AND fall under a certain category) to appear as less obnoxious ones. No, not "give everyone a horse" but rather give them a similar style mount (easy to do since most of them just copy the same skeleton) that fits to what is perceived as the fantasy of the warcraft universe. This wouldn't remove store mounts or force others to use it, it's just an optional OFFICIAL toggle that only works for those who enabled it. This is hardly a "delete the store" or "harass people that use it" argument and is instead a compromise.

If you want better discourse, perhaps people shouldn't then jump onto it like "haha grow up and deal with it in a social game!" via toxic trash replies and instead "I think the models reflect how a player wants to present themselves, a critical component of an MMORPG, and this argument could be applied to transmog" which could actually be pushed on. Instead, there's hostility and post reporting when they're repaid in kind, like a child with a super soaker.

Ultimately, no one has to agree with the suggestion even if there isn't a "debate owned" reason not to. People like different things, Retail vs Classic proves this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post

So... someone in a WoW RP Discord I'm in posted this, what do you guys think? I know that a 400 year timeskip may be highly unlikely though
    Initially, it was cool cause it's somewhat different. However...

- 3 factions need a bit more reason imho. Like, what's the Cenarion Pact? Seems the Night Elf tension is diminishing and if WoW's story team's history has any say in this, we could forgive anything in like 1-2 patches (WoD, Illidan's arc, etc). So, there's no really a reason.
    - Follow up on the factions, WoW already has a problem with player balance on two factions. Unless they can get pre-Pandaria sub numbers, this will be worse.
    - Most of these factions share races, which is constantly pushed back on because of identity. Story-wise (and NPC), not all members of a race join a specific faction, but for gameplay reasons, the playable ones do.
    - 400 years is too huge of a time skip. Something you could do with regular games, but a 16 year old MMORPG!? I mean, they COULD do it but it seems unlikely.
    Last edited by Kayze; 2021-08-01 at 09:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My big 10.0 wishlist?

-An expansion not focused on any threat in particular, just exploring what's been happening on Azeroth since Cataclysm. New bad guys of note include Infinite Dragonflight and a return of the "mongrel Horde" concept from WoD development.

-World revamp. For most zones this entails a graphical overhaul, undoing a lot of Cataclysm damage, and new storylines largely focused on the zones themselves. A few zones can get major revamps, like turning most of Tanaris into a Gadgetzan metropolis and turning the Badlands into the "Mongrel Horde" base of operations.

-New gameplay features more similar to MoP's style of just adding stuff to do rather than stuff to progress. Bonus points if these features are meant to last beyond 10.0, and make full use of reworked and old zones.

-Universal progression currencies? Let's say Valor Points and Vanity Points. The former can be spent on gear or gear upgrades. The latter can be spent on high-end vanity items at a vendor whose inventory is expanded every patch and expansion. Virtually all content rewards either currency, with the amount given being based on time/difficulty. Story quests and other non-repeatable content can give a big one-off reward of Valor/Vanity.

-Timewalking reworked into a permanent feature. Every day or week a random pool of old expansion dungeons, raids, quest hubs/WQs, etc. will give max level rewards as well as additional valor/vanity currencies.

-Cross-faction grouping/guilding, as well as further expanded race/class combos.

-Any random bonus stuff like sandbox mode or VR support just to test the waters for new ways to approach the game conceptually.

Obviously the wishlist as a whole is a bit unrealistic but even a handful of these becoming a reality would be pretty promising as far as I'm concerned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Again, hard to do quality when corona and scandals fucks up your team. They have big problems pushing a standard content patch, let alone a quality expansion.
    For sure, but a lot of that should in theory be worked through by the time 10.0 is announced. Many of the US workplaces are slowly going back to the office, though the variants could cause issues there. The scandal is going to absolutely crush WoW work in the short term and will almost certainly take away from what 9.2 has to offer, there's a decent chance that patch is fairly small. However, one has to imagine that some progress will be made towards moving Blizzard through the scandals between now & "early 2022" when the global event happens. I'd guess that much of this will have passed over by the global event (provided it still happens) where 10.0 will be announced with much of the year left to build it hopefully post scandals/corona.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a random idea that crossed my evening mind.

So we talk a lot about Time Travel, Dragon Isles, really anything that can be tied back to Dragons for 10.0's non-world revampy bits (assuming the revamp is even real....) but what if Blizz threw us a curve ball and dusted off an old fan theory that's gone largely dormant; Another Hemisphere.

Could be a more interesting exploration, could even use it as a way to tie in like "Ancient Azeroth" stuff without resorting to Time Travel Bullshit. Maybe hidden off the edge of our current world map is a continent that wasn't part of Old Kalimdor, that's been developing on its own thing since the time of the Titans.

I Still believe 10.0 will be the return of Yrel... and She will be coming to Azeroth. Blizz set the bread crumbs in motion during the Maghar intro and we are walking back to Azeroth with the Last leader of the Army of Light as the current King of SW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I Still believe 10.0 will be the return of Yrel... and She will be coming to Azeroth. Blizz set the bread crumbs in motion during the Maghar intro and we are walking back to Azeroth with the Last leader of the Army of Light as the current King of SW.
    Honestly? I think if that was their 10.0 plan they're scrambling to rewrite the story to get Yrel out.

It's gonna be a bad look after last month to roll out 10.0 and say "And our big villain is a woman for the third expansion in a row."

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post

So we talk a lot about Time Travel, Dragon Isles, really anything that can be tied back to Dragons for 10.0's non-world revampy bits (assuming the revamp is even real....) but what if Blizz threw us a curve ball and dusted off an old fan theory that's gone largely dormant; Another Hemisphere.

Could be a more interesting exploration, could even use it as a way to tie in like "Ancient Azeroth" stuff without resorting to Time Travel Bullshit. Maybe hidden off the edge of our current world map is a continent that wasn't part of Old Kalimdor, that's been developing on its own thing since the time of the Titans.
    The untouched new land thing is always intersting, but gets harder and harder to believe given how we are zipping across the globe now and have space ships - especially since it would immediately call into question why the horde and alliance didn't desperately tried to settle there during times like MoP, as it would have been a place that shits resources.

One of my pet ideas is a "we fix azeroth, journey-to-the-core" expansion. It would essentially be a mixture of underground caves connected by "deep roads" and contained old gold infestations that have burrowed their way to her core. Between titan faciltites that generated artificial biomes, deepholme like places and deep sea caves/incursions, you could realtively easily cover a wide range of places, while also dealing with stuff like the nerubians, faceless ones, other creatures of the deep, elementals, etc. The expansion progress would be limited by devling deeper and deeper until we reach blockages in multiple places, making the next patch a bit more of a mystery while we try to excavate the old roads of the titan constructs until we make our way to something like a titan facility that has been besieged for aeons and is holding off old gods where we essentially see the true shell of Azeroth from their observation platforms.

I guess it would only really fit as a pre-birth for azeroth expansion, which makes it a bit too taboo. Also admittedly, I explored the idea fair bit in my head and I would end up being disapointed with whatever Blizzard would half-heartedly implement, so better not .

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly? I think if that was their 10.0 plan they're scrambling to rewrite the story to get Yrel out.

It's gonna be a bad look after last month to roll out 10.0 and say "And our big villain is a woman for the third expansion in a row."
    Hmm if we keep with the whole cosmic forces stuff though, and we already explored the order/chaos side in legion, then that leaves us just with.. with the half of the life&death cycle and light and shadow. After BfA exploring the void again seems a bit too early, at least as the central focus. Fighting the life itself seems weird as well, so that kinda only leaves the light as an overbearing force. Maybe Yrel would just be a commander, I mean Sylvanas gets her redemption story now and the true big bad is a guy anway. Garrosh could be the first intermediary pawn of the light. The biggest problem with Yrel is the utter lack of believable charcter arc that would have us engage in her story - it was already cut short in WoD and now we even skipped 30 years of it. How are we supposed to connect with that character? Another issue would be writing her like another hysterical woman, which was pretty much the issue with the last few. Then there is also the thing that it's best to forget WoD ever happened.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-08-02 at 03:12 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SunspotAnims View Post
    My big 10.0 wishlist?

-An expansion not focused on any threat in particular, just exploring what's been happening on Azeroth since Cataclysm. New bad guys of note include Infinite Dragonflight and a return of the "mongrel Horde" concept from WoD development.

-World revamp. For most zones this entails a graphical overhaul, undoing a lot of Cataclysm damage, and new storylines largely focused on the zones themselves. A few zones can get major revamps, like turning most of Tanaris into a Gadgetzan metropolis and turning the Badlands into the "Mongrel Horde" base of operations.

-New gameplay features more similar to MoP's style of just adding stuff to do rather than stuff to progress. Bonus points if these features are meant to last beyond 10.0, and make full use of reworked and old zones.

-Universal progression currencies? Let's say Valor Points and Vanity Points. The former can be spent on gear or gear upgrades. The latter can be spent on high-end vanity items at a vendor whose inventory is expanded every patch and expansion. Virtually all content rewards either currency, with the amount given being based on time/difficulty. Story quests and other non-repeatable content can give a big one-off reward of Valor/Vanity.

-Timewalking reworked into a permanent feature. Every day or week a random pool of old expansion dungeons, raids, quest hubs/WQs, etc. will give max level rewards as well as additional valor/vanity currencies.

-Cross-faction grouping/guilding, as well as further expanded race/class combos.

-Any random bonus stuff like sandbox mode or VR support just to test the waters for new ways to approach the game conceptually.

Obviously the wishlist as a whole is a bit unrealistic but even a handful of these becoming a reality would be pretty promising as far as I'm concerned.
    An expansion like Vanilla WoW. 40 years into the future. Some notable characters are gone, some very old. Every patch is random like vanilla was.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Maybe you should try to get good instead of proposing horrible ideas like the death of M+ or making LFR the new normal? Honestly, +15 Dungeons this season are not hard and you need no voice for it, and if you only raid LFR you don't need to finish +15 anyways.
    Maybe you should accept people's opinions for what they are and stop trying to tell them what to do and enjoy. Game was fine before Mythic +. You may like it, I hate it. In fact if people who use the expression "Get good" vanished from mmorpgs forever, I would not cry about it.

Now, go away.

I mean we know of small islands and other lands that haven’t been touched…I want this

Kinda like the dark continent in a bunch of stories where it is inaccessible to all but the strongest

7+ Year Old Account
    i dont want a WoW 2.0 because chances are if that happens we will all have to start fresh with nothing and that wont work at all
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    i dont want a WoW 2.0 because chances are if that happens we will all have to start fresh with nothing and that wont work at all
    Well they could do one of two things

Make current servers like legacy servers
    Or
    Make a kind of lineage system

You start over but your new character has all the stuff you unlocked like mounts

Yeah you can’t run jaina for the mount anymore but you’ll have invincible still

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    Well they could do one of two things

Make current servers like legacy servers
    Or
    Make a kind of lineage system

You start over but your new character has all the stuff you unlocked like mounts

Yeah you can’t run jaina for the mount anymore but you’ll have invincible still
    From a game design perspective that is just awful. You'd essentially still have to support all the old shit technology wise while getting none of the content out of it. You might as well just fake something into the story and make a portal somewhere that connects old shit to new shit.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.