The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    They basically gave Blizzard leadership to people outside Blizzard. Acti must be really paranoid with who was involved or ignored harassment. Or everyone with executive position was ignoring it...
    Nah more likely they're laying the groundwork for Activision to fully absorb Blizzard.

Though now we return to the question for WoW this entire last month. "Is it too costly to maintain for Activision?" With Activision guys now in the big chair WoW's "legacy" probably isn't their concern, it's money.

I still think we're headed to surprise maintenance mode with 10.0.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Nah more likely they're laying the groundwork for Activision to fully absorb Blizzard.

Though now we return to the question for WoW this entire last month. "Is it too costly to maintain for Activision?" With Activision guys now in the big chair WoW's "legacy" probably isn't their concern, it's money.

I still think we're headed to surprise maintenance mode with 10.0.
    WoW is still printing money. Selling a couple million copies every 2 years on top of subscriptions and premium services for minimum investment makes it profitable as far as AAA games go. It might not be a CoD or mobile fortnite, but it's up there with the biggest franchises otherwise. If the quality will drop even further though.. that remains to be seen. I would expect the current trajectory to hold tbh.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I'm pretty sure WoW still brings in a good amount of money. If anything they may add more ways to squeeze money from it, rather than take it down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    WoW is still printing money. Selling a couple million copies every 2 years on top of subscriptions and premium services for minimum investment makes it profitable as far as AAA games go. It might not be a CoD or mobile fortnite, but it's up there with the biggest franchises otherwise. If the quality will drop even further though.. that remains to be seen. I would expect the current trajectory to hold tbh.
    It brings in money but it's bleeding out fast between the Lawsuit and FF14's sudden (almost BC-into-Wrath-like) rise.

The team needs to be burned down and replaced, the game needs a major back and front-end overhaul to basically every aspect, is the investment worth the upswing? Or would it be better to just let WoW drift into oblivion?

With more Activision sway on Blizzard now I am by no means confident the answer is the former.

Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    None of that is too hard to do. For the covenent spells, you could just create a generic set of spells for the new classes, similar to how the new Horde races get generic quest text/images during the Lorewalker Cho intro quest chain. It might not be exciting, but Blizz doesn't tend to go back and do massive updates to old content as is.
    Do you honestly expect to keep your covenant spells?

- - - Updated - - -

It brings in money but it's bleeding out fast between the Lawsuit and FF14's sudden (almost BC-into-Wrath-like) rise.

The team needs to be burned down and replaced, the game needs a major back and front-end overhaul to basically every aspect, is the investment worth the upswing? Or would it be better to just let WoW drift into oblivion?

With more Activision sway on Blizzard now I am by no means confident the answer is the former.
    Nah, the game just needs another direction. That has happened often enough with just an expansion launch. Also you assume Blizzard's new leadership will be able to recognize that flaws of the game, that is something that they need to prove first.

The groundfloor devs also don't need replacing. It's just the people that chart the course in story and gameplay.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    I'm pretty sure WoW still brings in a good amount of money. If anything they may add more ways to squeeze money from it, rather than take it down.
    I know I repeat this many times, but BfA broke WoW sales record and SL even more, PC games record (they didn't hold it long, but still). "Still bring good amount of money" is... how to call this.. "understatement".

Some more popular ones sure, why not. It's exactly what happened after Legion.

I'd expect something like with the Heart. You can use them in old Content, but not in the following expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Some more popular ones sure, why not. It's exactly what happened after Legion.
    I mean as actual covenant abilities, not as hand-me-downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    Yeah a pattern of low effort that is propelled by compliancy and acceptances by the player base
    Statements like this are proof positive why players more often than not make terrible designers/writers.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

So, MAUs are down again compared to last quarter, although they’ve been heavily boosted by TBC Classic launch as the report suggests. No words about Shadowlands at all, which isn’t surprising by how bad it’s received and performing.

An interesting line is:

Blizzard’s launch of Burning CrusadeTM Classic in June marked the start of what is intended to be a very significant 18-month period for content releases.

Very significant 18-month period of content releases. What does this mean? Is it about the phases TBC Classic is rolling out? Or does it contain retail releases as well? This could indicate that the next retail expansion is coming within the next 18 months which puts it into Q4/2022 release territory. 18 months from TBC launch brings us to November 2022, which would be the 2 year mark for Shadowlands. But that’s just a guess.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    So, MAUs are down again compared to last quarter, although they’ve been heavily boosted by TBC Classic launch as the report suggests. No words about Shadowlands at all, which isn’t surprising by how bad it’s received and performing.

An interesting line is:

Blizzard’s launch of Burning CrusadeTM Classic in June marked the start of what is intended to be a very significant 18-month period for content releases.

Very significant 18-month period of content releases. What does this mean? Is it about the phases TBC Classic is rolling out? Or does it contain retail releases as well? This could indicate that the next retail expansion is coming within the next 18 months which puts it into Q4/2022 release territory. 18 months from TBC launch brings us to November 2022, which would be the 2 year mark for Shadowlands. But that’s just a guess.
    Remember that these statements are intended for shareholders, not players.

10+ Year Old Account

An interesting line is:

Guessing November 2022 is their target for 10.0 honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Remember that these statements are intended for shareholders, not players.
    Sure, but I think we can dissect it a little bit.

Oh and I am hoping for a 10.0 launch in Q4 next year. Everything later will be… devastating.

Guessing November 2022 is their target for 10.0 honestly.
    I wouldn't expect a whole lot from the end of a "significant period". That rather suggests that there'd be releases during that time, not when it is over.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't expect a whole lot from the end of a "significant period". That rather suggests that there'd be releases during that time, not when it is over.
    I dunno I can see them twisting their minds to say "Well this 18 months is the Shadowlands/BC Classic period, and after that starts the 10.0/Wrath Classic period."

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I guess it will be Diablo II [Q3 21]-> Diablo Immortal [Q1 22] -> Overwatch 2 [Q2/3 22] -> Either 10.0 or Diablo 4 [Q4 22]

I dunno I can see them twisting their minds to say "Well this 18 months is the Shadowlands/BC Classic period, and after that starts the 10.0/Wrath Classic period."
    That sounds more like something the community would do, not Blizz. I'd expect it to be mostly BCC related, too. 18 months sounds about right for the phases.

Any TLDR version of what will happend in bulletform?

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    Any TLDR version of what will happend in bulletform?
    This is the Blizzard related TL;DR from the quarterly report, if you were asking for that:

• Blizzard’s launch of Burning CrusadeTM Classic in June marked the start of what is intended to be a very significant 18-month period for content releases. Blizzard had 26 million MAUsD in the second quarter.
    • World of Warcraft net bookingsB again grew a double-digit percentage year-over-year, driven by the launch of Burning Crusade Classic. Subscriber numbers and hours played were higher following the release, demonstrating the importance of Classic in enabling more ways for players to engage. World of Warcraft remains on track for much stronger engagement this year than is typical outside of a modern expansion year.
    • The latest expansion of the Hearthstone® franchise, Forged in the BarrensTM, delivered expansion-over- expansion net bookingsB growth for a second consecutive release following its March launch. With the latest expansion, United in StormwindTM, launching today, and MercenariesTM, a new mode in the popular role- playing genre planned for the coming months, we expect the financial performance of Hearthstone to strengthen in the second half of the year.
    • The highly anticipated Diablo® II: ResurrectedTM will launch on PC and console on September 23. On mobile, Diablo ImmortalTM continued to progress well through testing, receiving excellent feedback for its gameplay. The team is pursuing additional opportunities to make the title even more engaging for a wider audience, with the launch now slated for first half of 2022. Blizzard continues to make strong progress on Diablo® 4 and is allocating substantial resources to creating exciting in-game content to drive engagement over multiple years.
    • Overwatch® 2 development passed an important internal milestone in recent weeks. After a great response to the recent community update, the team is looking forward to revealing more of the game in the coming months as they approach the later stages of production.

This is the Blizzard related TL;DR from the quarterly report, if you were asking for that:

• Blizzard’s launch of Burning CrusadeTM Classic in June marked the start of what is intended to be a very significant 18-month period for content releases. Blizzard had 26 million MAUsD in the second quarter.
    • World of Warcraft net bookingsB again grew a double-digit percentage year-over-year, driven by the launch of Burning Crusade Classic. Subscriber numbers and hours played were higher following the release, demonstrating the importance of Classic in enabling more ways for players to engage. World of Warcraft remains on track for much stronger engagement this year than is typical outside of a modern expansion year.
    • The latest expansion of the Hearthstone® franchise, Forged in the BarrensTM, delivered expansion-over- expansion net bookingsB growth for a second consecutive release following its March launch. With the latest expansion, United in StormwindTM, launching today, and MercenariesTM, a new mode in the popular role- playing genre planned for the coming months, we expect the financial performance of Hearthstone to strengthen in the second half of the year.
    • The highly anticipated Diablo® II: ResurrectedTM will launch on PC and console on September 23. On mobile, Diablo ImmortalTM continued to progress well through testing, receiving excellent feedback for its gameplay. The team is pursuing additional opportunities to make the title even more engaging for a wider audience, with the launch now slated for first half of 2022. Blizzard continues to make strong progress on Diablo® 4 and is allocating substantial resources to creating exciting in-game content to drive engagement over multiple years.
    • Overwatch® 2 development passed an important internal milestone in recent weeks. After a great response to the recent community update, the team is looking forward to revealing more of the game in the coming months as they approach the later stages of production.
    Was more curious of 10.x speculations - thanks thou