So you’re saying that Garrosh is irrelevant?

10+ Year Old Account
    beats me what the expac theme would be this time. Another left-fielder, was WoW written for a story to last this long? lol I kid, but really where to go from here.

Anyone tried out the PTR recently and could say if all major features (covenant swapping, all skips and so on) are already in?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    beats me what the expac theme would be this time. Another left-fielder, was WoW written for a story to last this long? lol I kid, but really where to go from here.
    Dragons most likely. That or a Light themed story, possibly even both.
    We go to the Dragon Isles to find something to help against an invasion of Light, and while there help the dragonflights with their problems.

If that plotline worked for Legion then it could work perfectly fine again.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Exchange Ztudent View Post
    I would say that Feb Blizzcon Online will be catering to the Expansion and that the PTR will go live during the massive news push in November. I'd definitely believe that they will try and make the Final Patch come out prior to Blizzcon Online but then again I'm kinda optimistic about where their efforts have been put and that they are trying to get back on schedule by pulling off this really tight schedule to get ready for Alpha in April. We'll see as the Sylvanas Book releases in February too.
    That's specifically what I was referencing. They always cover a deep dive of the final patch at the same event they give preliminary expansion info. They might announce the expansion in November, or February, either way that doesn't affect the patch schedule. Though one new factor is that the final patch premise is usually well telegraphed long before it comes out, but this expansion is different. That just means they'll want to cover 9.2 before they announce the new expansion, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be released before then.

Diablo and WoW seem to have features that bleed across to each other.

D4 seems to opting for a massive skill tree that offers (to quote them) years of exploration of build types. So perhaps the wow skill trees will be massively expanded into a forest. In D4 you can set any skill as "passive" and it will do some passive stuff. For example, you can set the meteor skill to cast meteors on your enemies, or move it into the passive slot such that you can no longer cast meteor but meteors will periodically fall from the sky. D4 will have dungeons with difficulties not set to just normal, heroic, mythic but they will a slew of settings to give you great granularity in how easy or hard it is. D4 will have mounts and you will be able to buy various pieces of armor for your mount.

Those are all features to consider when thinking 10.0.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    They should've given the Jailer a twirled moustache.
    No that seems to be what the player base wants him and Sylvanas to be. They're actually the opposite. They've kept their plan concealed while beating us every step of the way. No instead people like you and others in this thread seem to want the "villain dropping their scheme monologue" while there's still a chance to stop them aka mustached villain from saturday morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarethion View Post
    Anyone tried out the PTR recently and could say if all major features (covenant swapping, all skips and so on) are already in?
    Yes. It's all pretty much there and testable, but there was a bug with the cov swapping where if you rejoined some weird stuff happened like you'd lose the followers etc.

From what I know campaign skip is not testable (although I fear Blizzard will just give you all soulbinds and call it a day). Also Mage Tower, but I've just remembered MT wasn't tested on 7.2 PTR either. Rest is pretty much in, 9.1.5 is not big patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

D4 seems to opting for a massive skill tree that offers (to quote them) years of exploration of build types. So perhaps the wow skill trees will be massively expanded into a forest. In D4 you can set any skill as "passive" and it will do some passive stuff. For example, you can set the meteor skill to cast meteors on your enemies, or move it into the passive slot such that you can no longer cast meteor but meteors will periodically fall from the sky. D4 will have dungeons with difficulties not set to just normal, heroic, mythic but they will a slew of settings to give you great granularity in how easy or hard it is. D4 will have mounts and you will be able to buy various pieces of armor for your mount.

If D4 goes for that then it will be just an attempt to copy from PoE, but I think WoW will diverge here from the usual diabolofication. Introducing such a tree into an Arpg grinder is one thing, doing the same in an MMOrpg that practically lives from copetitiveness and the meta is not going to work. Certainly not with the current devs. Arguably even PoE doesn't fully realize it, as the talent tree is the base of lots of praise but also one of the often mentioned reasons why people quit the game before even properly starting. The diablo crowd is a bunch that wants to grind all day long, the only way to get them off your back is by fighting them back with math and throwing systems with an incredible number of permutations at them. Meanwhile the WoW crowd is begging Blizzard to stop drowning us in systems.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-10-06 at 06:05 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    That's specifically what I was referencing. They always cover a deep dive of the final patch at the same event they give preliminary expansion info. They might announce the expansion in November, or February, either way that doesn't affect the patch schedule. Though one new factor is that the final patch premise is usually well telegraphed long before it comes out, but this expansion is different. That just means they'll want to cover 9.2 before they announce the new expansion, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be released before then.
    How is the premise of 9.2 NOT well telegraphed at this point?

The story will be as follows: Sylvanas and Primus craft some new macguffin to replace Arbiter's sigil, we open to portal to Zereth Mortis and follow Jailer there. In the Sepulcher of the First Ones raid we will stop Jailer from destroying the universe and free Anduin. Patch might include some Light themed B-plot to introduce Light as the enemy for next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

This always was one of the best aspects of Diablo - you get skills and then you can individually change these skills with Runes etc. Out of all the things from Diablo, I never understood why they didn't copy this. This would give us so so so much more options and build diversity. The skill tree we have now in retail is awful. Period. Character progression in retail is awful. They need to do something with this that keeps on growing with the expansions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Dragons most likely. That or a Light themed story, possibly even both.
    We go to the Dragon Isles to find something to help against an invasion of Light, and while there help the dragonflights with their problems.

If that plotline worked for Legion then it could work perfectly fine again.
    Let's assume it's neither Dragons, nor Light/Void: what's left then? I mean they kept Azshara alive and said she'll come back in the future - in what kind of expansion / story would this make sense? Something related to Xalatath maybe (but not the Void directly)?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Let's assume it's neither Dragons, nor Light/Void: what's left then? I mean they kept Azshara alive and said she'll come back in the future - in what kind of expansion / story would this make sense? Something related to Xalatath maybe (but not the Void directly)?
    Azshara will be brought in the Void expansion as an enemy of my enemy -type of an ally

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Azshara will be brought in the Void expansion as an enemy of my enemy -type of an ally
    sounds lame

Quote Originally Posted by irresistable View Post
    sounds lame
    Yeah, but that's what to expect from the WoW team right now.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Yeah, but that's what to expect from the WoW team right now.
    And the more we accept this the better, that's just the type of stuff we gonna get. I don't mind the game being seasonal, I still have my sub up because my guild is going through mythic but yeah I just raid log these days.

And that's okay because I'm some other much better games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    No. On these forums any updates mean an expansion hint.
    Wrathin comes back? Dragon expansion clearly!
    LK part of a quest? Wotlk 2 clearly!
    Sylvanas working with a death master? Shadowlands clearly!

At the point we're headed for Wrath of the Shdowlands Dragon Isles Lich and tinkers.

7+ Year Old Account
    They can always surprise us with another pandaria or orc time-travel adventure.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    They can always surprise us with another pandaria or orc time-travel adventure.
    I wouldn't be against that tbh, MoP was a fantastic expansion. I hope one day we'll visit the other side of Azeroth, it could literally be anything they want it to be.

Well, we have a giant sword sticking out of Silithus, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch if we had to go inside the planet to do something to help remove the blade. I for one think that an underground expansion would be nice & some made up essence of Sargeras' sword could be a fun villain.

I'd really like something like that, but sadly, I can't imagine they'd do an expansion where we go inside a female (Azeroth) through a sword - I bet the current carebear team would be too worried it'd offend someone's sensitivities. Sigh.

P.S. Also thanks for answering my question about PTR, guys.
    Last edited by Sarethion; 2021-10-06 at 10:55 AM.

So you want this for an expansion?

I'm cool with that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully we get a release date for 9.1.5 this week.

Formerly known as Arafal