Quote Originally Posted by NotAJournalist View Post
    And title card to the expansion : World of Warcraft : Age of the Mortals.
    This "leak" is a good example of an expansion that doesn't really have anything I'm personally hoping for, but has enough little things to be exciting to me anyway. If we don't get ogres or a new class, I hope we at least get something like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdodlig View Post
    You can connect dragon to everything, just like elf or troll
    Yeah, but that type of dragon was introduced at the tail end of BFA, right after the fight with N’zoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Yeah, but that type of dragon was introduced at the tail end of BFA, right after the fight with N’zoth.
    The model, sure.

I've been fighting Twilight Drakes since Wrath and Cata though, simply with a retextured 2004 drake model instead of a 2019 unique Boss-Fight model turned mount.

edit: I honestly don't think anyone is struggling to relate void and dragons, it's more than people fatigued from it considering the recent depiction you just linked.

We'd like some Dragons without Void, if possible. Ergo, they/we don't -want- to relate them so that EoD is 'backed up.'
    Last edited by Archmage Xaxxas; 2022-02-16 at 09:04 PM.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

~Age of the Mortals snip~
    + Broken female being NYI is the funniest thing I've read in any of these so far because they've had a placeholder model since TBC
    + Galakrond's Fall mention
    - Title, should've left out the "the" so it would be Age of Mortals

8/10

Again;

Why is everyone having a hard time connecting the void to dragons?
    Makes too much sense and doesn’t fit the narrative. Not like we have Void Dragons since Cataclysm / end of WotLK.

I think some people just apply double standards when it comes to all of this. Whatever. We will see in the (near) future.

Heck some people think an Yrel-Light expansion is more likely than this so… each to their own I guess.

I mean… I doubted that the Shadowlands logo is real albeit its high quality.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2022-02-16 at 09:08 PM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not working for Blizzard in any way but I was lucky enough to be shown the new expansion announcement trailer and I got a few infos about some features that were shown in the video. Here's what I saw :

It begins with a shot of the Maelstrom and Wrathion explaining that Azeroth has been suffering for ages and always had protectors in the aspects. While he speaks, we are shown some images of the last few expansions starting with destroyed Silithus, then azerite wounds and Icecrown's shattered sky.
    He then rants about how dragons have failed their duty as guardians of Azeroth, leading the mortals to do their job. He then claims that the dragons always had the tools to fix the issues on Azeroth, but were too scared to end up like him, hinting as another dragon (the effect of the video wants you to think Deathwing but it's actually Galakrond as revealed by the end of the trailer).

The Dragon Isles then appears on the world map, above the Eastern Kingdom with the infamous "New continent : Dragon Isles". Wrathion continues his speech, saying that forgotten powers lies sealed by secrets on the Island. While he speaks, we get some panoramics of the dragon isles and a better view at its creatures.

First we are shown a forest with clear white trees with orange / red leaves. It really has an Eversong vibe but in HD, with more flowers and the structures doesn't match the elves style. Most of the creatures here are known. We are shown red dragons walking in colored flowerfields, HD hawkstriders (the BE mount, not dragonhawk) and some HD gnolls wearing dragon bones armor (I actually loved them they don't look as silly as the vanilla/warcraft 3 gnolls). Some Ardenwealdlike butterflies with flower as wings and a few beasts we already know with a new skin such as shoveltusk or ents. A clip also featured creatures ressembling the mage tower druid form but were in a much greener environment. So I guess those were red and green dragon places (didn't asked).

Then there is this snowy crystal filled area looking with pools of mana / crystals. I really had a winter Aszuna/Suramar vibe here but with more weird / complex form and magical structures like in the Nexus. There's also a lot of translucent shape, half summoned looking with arcane looking colors. None of the creatures here are known to my knowledge. There was a big ugly manalfiend (like a mix of the second boss of Nighthold and abominations), some tiny crystal robots and small goofy froglike dudes with googles (they are not an allied race).

Last thing showed is a big desert with large dust beams going up as if time was reversed and falling down between some known structures (a human town hall from WoD and a big HD forsaken ship lost in the middle of the desert). Then we're shown some ghostly / infinite looking places (like the void-touched ground in 8.3 or the mawtouched area in the Maw) with some really gorgeous looking animals seemingly corrupted by the infinite dragonflight.
    While all of these landscapes are shown, Wrathion keeps talking lore stuff, saying there are unexplored land of mysteries. I don't remember the exact words, but he talks about the power falling on the wrong hands. We are then shown some cultist who are not the Twilight Hammer, but actually the Wyrmcult from Blade's Edge and Sabellian is their leader (but you won't notice it on the trailer tho he has his own model. He just looks like Wrathion but older with orange clothes and greyed hairs).

After that, the usual title cards and fast sequences happens :

•The first one is the draconic bond. From what I was said, it will be covenant 2.0 fused with Heart of Azeroth's essences (trailer show all 5 dragons flight like they did with covenant) but instead of choosing just one, you will choose the order you unlock them (and unlock your campaign). Each one of them will bring their cosmetic and abilities (borrowed power) but you will have to choose one main dragonflight between each flights that will give you more power and a new active ability you will be able to swap freely. It will work like azerite essences where you can choose a few spell who are the same for every classes, but each spell will have a special effect based on the dragonflight empowering it.
    •New class / race combos (night elf paladin and normal orc priest were featured in the trailer).
    •Level cap raised to 70
    •New mount customization. They displayed a dragon with different saddle, armor and with its color changing.
    •New character customization with a bulky forest troll (in HD) and broken draeneis (both were males in the trailer but they will have female variant. Can't wait for female bulky troll).
    •New glyph system but it's actually just a transmog table for spells.
    •New "Temporal Anomaly" feature. It's the Island Exploration / Torghast of the expansion. Didn't had much details, outside of it being randomly generated content bringing you to various places and eras of Warcraft. It should bring multiples types of gameplay, and not just a dungeon crawling experience like Torghast. You might end up in the middle of a battlefield against two random armies and choose a side to gain a bonus for your run, or simply hunt with NPC adventurers for Hogger.
    •New dungeons, raids, monsters and battlegrounds. The usual stuff.

Wrathion then concludes, saying it is now our duty to save our world, and to make sure the mortals will ensure Azeroth's security. When he's talking, there's a view of a big hole in Dragonblight. It is indedd Galakrond's fall. I'm pretty sure Blizzard will go with something like "It was a 4d chess where someone played the forces of death to claim Galakrond's soul".

And title card to the expansion : World of Warcraft : Age of the Mortals.

That's it. Video was about 4 minutes long which is the longest for an expansion trailer. No new races and no new classes but from what I was told most of the features we know will be improved. Also timewalking will leave the weekly event rotation to become its own league with different dungeons each season. Expect interviews in the coming weeks for 8.2 and a big announcement in a month...
    +for content
    Sounds pretty fresh and reasonable, especially on cosmetics focus (i believe Blizzard will do much for cosmetics in 10.0, because of FF14 influence)
    Spell transmogrification is big +
    locations description sounds pretty fresh

-for premise
    its trash garbage
    though, would be in spirit of Danuser to asspull that shit
    Last edited by Harbour; 2022-02-16 at 09:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Makes too much sense and doesn’t fit the narrative. Not like we have Void Dragons since Cataclysm / end of WotLK.
    Actually, Cata dragons were Twilight Dragonflight that come from Netherdrakes. Vexiona was void-twisted version of it.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post

I think some people just apply double standards when it comes to all of this. Whatever. We will see in the (near) future.
    Okay, but that’s a new type of Void Dragon, freed from the Void’s corruption by Wrathion at the end of BFA. Voidwing =\= Twilight Drake.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Wait a second...

...Age of the Mortals

...Wrath of the Bolvar

... !
    WotA confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Holdodlig View Post
    Empire of dragons logo is too low res to be real imho. It's a "clear" image but when you look at other logos they have a really high res.
    All image leaks are bound to be low-res for one reason or another.
    Either because of shitty screenshots, file compression or use shitty cam, etc.

Even Blizzard slip ups are low-res exactly for those reasons (Member blue-eyed Bolvar and the SL logo? i member)

In regards to the style of the logo, its clearly hand drawn and not rendered/a mockup like the other logos.
    Hence why it looks the way it does.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    The model, sure.

I've been fighting Twilight Drakes since Wrath and Cata though, simply with a retextured 2004 drake model instead of a 2019 unique Boss-Fight model turned mount.

edit: I honestly don't think anyone is struggling to relate void and dragons, it's more than people fatigued from it considering the recent depiction you just linked.

We'd like some Dragons without Void, if possible. Ergo, they/we don't -want- to relate them so that EoD is 'backed up.'
    This is not just some empty model updating. It is actual Story development.

There was a whole Cult of the Void led by the Void Dragon Vexiona in BfA:

Obsessively wielding the power that N'Zoth has granted her, Vexiona has amassed a cult of worshippers who covet the gifts of the Void. From high atop her temple within the Black Empire, she transforms her most devout followers into unstoppable horrors.
    So it's not just a model that was updated, it carries Story development with it. In particular, the fact that there is a dragon (Vexiona) who started gathering followers and created a "Cult of the Void", a cult that serves N'Zoth.

They will 100% bring back Vexiona and her Cult of the Void (Cult of N'Zoth btw) for a Dragon Isles expansion.

You can't say that it's just a case of updating models because Vexiona has a unique story position that wasn't present before; that of a dragon who created her own cult of worshippers to the Void. Deathwing didn't do this. Deathwing employed the service of the Twilight's Hammer Cult but he himself didn't lead it, it was Cho'Gall who led it.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Okay, but that’s a new type of Void Dragon, freed from the Void’s corruption by Wrathion at the end of BFA. Voidwing =\= Twilight Drake.
    The thing is, all it requires to make sense is just a sentence by Blizzard or a connection in lore. And I definitely see the possibility. The Hour of Twilight would fit into this as well.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    An Emerald Dream expansion would likely introduce playable faeries (which would be different to the Ardenweald one).

Kaldrassil the originality just drips from the name...
    Wrathion absent from a Dragon-focused expansion? Yea, right...
    The Dragon Isles won't feature? Aha... seems very reasonable for such a Dragon-heavy themed expansion...
    I mean, I dont believe it but i kinda like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    WotA confirmed?

All image leaks are bound to be low-res for one reason or another.
    Either because of shitty screenshots, file compression or use shitty cam, etc.

Even Blizzard slip ups are low-res exactly for those reasons (Member blue-eyed Bolvar and the SL logo? i member)

In regards to the style of the logo, its clearly hand drawn and not rendered/a mockup like the other logos.
    Hence why it looks the way it does.
    I know but somehow it's different. The images had a shitty quality in every aspect for both Bolvar and Shadowlands' pics. Here, you have a pretty smooth image which could be used on any website. It's too high quality to be camera leaked, but too low res to be an actual ActiBlizz jpeg. It's just weird

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlands-is-fake View Post
    Man I hope 10.0 is revamp + Dragon Isles.

I want to run around in an updated Elwynn forest doing world quests so bad, but I also want dragons to be the big "thing" of the story.

Not just rush through world quests in Elwynn, by the way, but actually enjoying being there. Heavy rainfall, farming endgame materials, dynamic events, people hanging out doing Rated Duels outside Goldshire, or playing Hearthstone at the inn (with that new music playing).

Then knowing I can dash off to the new and exciting area with dragons (updated models to finally fix the origami wings) guarding ancient Titanic temples and launching Dragonsworn assaults against the Void.

GIMME!
    Same. WoW really needs a hype impressive expansion. 10.0 is a big number. Im hoping they go big.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    It's not a double standard, what are you even talking about?

If you hand a bunch of pictures of logos to someone who has never played wow ever, and knows nothing about lore, and you black out the names entirely and ask them to guess on the theme for each expansion, they are going to look at the Shadowlands logo and see skulls and ghostly light and go "skeletons? ghosts?"

It's not about "can I make up some elaborate excuse for why it might make sense, it's about basic, entry level marketing and design. You do not want your audience to have to invent a reason. You do not want them to have to know what a "Voidflight Dragon" looks like to understand that the logo frame is made up of Dragons. I don't need to have touched Shadowlands, or ever seen any part of it, to know that it's an expansion about death.

The Orbios theme is copper accented pseudo-celtic geometric patterns made of ribbon-y shapes. The maw theme is gunmetal grey and spikes with skulls. The Logo is a combination of the two. I do not even know what you are trying to argue here, this just seems like a weird Strawman, because the whole point is that you don't need to know about either zone theme to still get the basic idea that skulls and spirit light = DEATH expansion. It pulls its colors and shapes from things in Shadowlands, but it still recognizable on a basic interpretive level.

It literally does not. Because your explanation for EoD here is that they pulled colors and shapes from things in EoD, and then completely forgot to include that basic recognizability allowing for simple interpretation.

Hello? Yes it was. Did you even read my post? It is a war expansion that takes place largely in the seas, with a logo that is armored and has a water background.

It is mediocrely made and has NO THEME AT ALL. Which is why, in this very same post, one sentence later you are saying "It could be X, or could totally not be X, or it could be Y, or it could be that the devs had no idea how to make a logo and just made a bunch of random shapes with void colors." I don't understand how you can very clearly understand and even type out the problem here: that it totally lacks any concrete, discernable theme to the point of potentially being the devs not understanding design and just doing whatever--and somehow also claim it's totally got a strong theme and there's no problem.
    The expansions is about void with a dragon theme as an entry level theme. Just like how MoP was about faction war in the end, but still spent all that time faffing about in Pandaria.

Again, once we know the expansion, then we can start debating whether the logo actually fits.
    As I said, could be all about the cosmic origins of dragons, so the logo is indicative of this cosmic theme.
    It could be about old gods, and the dragons are just our intoe into that theme, in which case the purple colour fits.
    It could be loads of stuff about the titans and the mystery of the dragons, and the logo is meant to show this cosmic theme.

Or it could be purple and starry because that is a cool aesthetic, and noone is going to sit here and genuinely be mad that the expansion logo doesn't translate 1:1 to dragons specifically. Just like noone really cares that the SL logo is a mishmash of several disconnected stuff from the Shadowlands instead of something more specific like distinctly the Oribos theme, or distinctly the Maw/Jailer theme.

The Shadowlands logo makes no sense unless you already know about Oribos, the Maw, and also that the white light isn't meant to show anything. At best you see it and can pick up on the skulls on the sides.
    Why can't this Empire of Dragons logo be the same way? Just try to imagine an expansion where that logo makes sense and you would understand why attacking the theme of the logo is a dumb argument.

BfA had a logo that might be considered armor and seas sure (though the armor looks nothing like anything in-game, but nevermind). Which is of course a perfect fit with the black and purple volcanic hellscape we ended the expansion on with Ny'alotha.
    Perfect argument, yes.

The logo has a very clear and distinct theme actually. Cosmic stuff, which is absolutely something that could be made into a central theme of a dragon based expansion.
    And the argument I made isn't that the developers are incompetent, but that they might not have had a good idea for a purely dragon themed logo, and so instead decided to make a cosmic themed one since the expansion would likely include that as well, and it makes for a really cool logo.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by lachlol View Post
    What about Legion logo? I just went through all the WoW logos, and to be honest, as far as I could agree with your marketing logic here, Legion clearly doesn't fit it.
    If it's really all about marketing, how it the world green theme would resonate with Legion vibes for someone, who doesn't even understand the title Legion itself?
    I agree. Legion is the closest thing to an exception. Legion also builds its entire theme around a very, very specific color palette (felfire green) that was established in WC3 in 2002 and has existed consistently reinforced hundreds/thousands of times throughout the lifespan of the game. It is less recognizable than the other logos to someone who has zero experience with warcraft, but immediately recognizable to anyone who has played WC3 or wow for any decent period of time.

Think of it this way. You could remove the name from Legion's logo, go to Blizzcon, and just show that black and green logo, and people would still cheer and know exactly what it meant: A Burning Legion expansion. Because that's what that glowing color means in the Warcraft universe. You could go to that same Blizzcon, show the EoD logo without "EoD" and everyone would just be extremely confused. Is it a void expansion? It has some vague void stuff in the background. Is it a K'aresh expansion? It has stars and the border is kind, really vaguely similar to the style and color of Ethereal technology. Is it about Naaru? Some particularly observative player might notice that the pieces fused into the border and nearly identical to pieces of a naaru. Is it about Elves or Elune? It kinda looks like Elvish armor and aesthetics, and maybe the stars are for Elune, a celestial expansion?

I doubt anyone would even guess dragons are involved.

No one is going to know what on earth it is. People will at best have vague, contradictor guesses. People who have played this game for almost 20 years and the series for 25+, with very good understanding are going to look at it and go "huh?" and then suss out, at best, tentative theories about what it might be.

I genuinely think you are going a bit too deep with that. For sure they aim for the logo to be cool marketing-wise, but it's all about the main theme for the expansion.
    I'd be more willing to believe that it actually looks more like - hey guys, what is the theme of that expansion, the main attributes? Emm.. Torghast/Icecrown-like assets and maybe some Oribos ones. Yup. And what about colors? Let's go with black and white as it fits the narrative. Definitely there are concepts that are being approved or dismissed first, but I have a hard time to belive, that there's so much psychology that goes into the logo. Well, if that was the case, I'd say that Legion's black letters that clearly break the cannon for WoW's logos wouldn't be the best move from a psychological point of view. BfA logo is boring and it's absolutely the opposite of eye-catching.
    I think you're arguing from a place of ignorance here. Large companies have people whose entire job is dealing with marketing materials and brand recognition. This is not something that the game devs just tossed together and then sent off to be made. It's something that was probably mocked up in a dozen+ different iterations and thematic styles by a couple people whose only job during that period was making some potential options, brought back to the team who looked through and decided on good ones, tested with multiple color palettes and details, narrowed down even more, cross-examined for readability and marketability and then iterated on more.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    This is not just some empty model updating.

So it's not just a model that was updated,

You can't say that it's just a case of updating models because Vexiona has a unique story position that wasn't present before;
    and I didn't.

" instead of a 2019 unique Boss-Fight model turned mount."

I understand you've got high blood pressure or something, but I think my quote there is telling enough that I'm fully aware of Vexonia.

Teriz was linking the mount instead, which is far less lore-heavy than Vexonia herself, simply representing a void-twisted twilight drake, no? Am I mistaken that Vexonia is the only NPC with that particular model?
    Last edited by Archmage Xaxxas; 2022-02-16 at 09:19 PM.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Same. WoW really needs a hype impressive expansion. 10.0 is a big number. Im hoping they go big.
    Yup. I expect nothing less than awesome for 10.0 (high expectations, I know). Also, no chance we don't get a minimum of a week pre-announcement (announcement of an announcement) if not longer for community HYPE/marketing purposes. Makes absolutely zero sense for Blizzard to just announce a brand new expansion with barely any heads up.

and I didn't.

I understand you've got high blood pressure or something, but I think my quote there is telling enough that I'm fully aware of Vexonia.

Teriz was linking the mount instead, which is far less lore-heavy than Vexonia herself, simply representing a void-twisted twilight drake. Am I mistaken that Vexonia is the only NPC with that particular model?
    Yes, she is the only named NPC with that model. And your point is? How did you disprove what Teriz said that BfA established a direct connection between Void and dragons?

Teriz is right and his argument is easily supported by Canon. The BfA expansion established an explicit, clear, and undeniable connection between the Void and Dragons, with Vexiona, a Dragon who is more Void-y than all the Cataclysm dragons put together.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    and I didn't.

Teriz was linking the mount instead, which is far less lore-heavy than Vexonia herself, simply representing a void-twisted twilight drake, no? Am I mistaken that Vexonia is the only NPC with that particular model?
    The mount is based on Vexonia’s offspring that we take to Wrathion to uncorrupt. According to the lore, an entire clutch of Vexonia’s eggs were found near N’Zoth. More could exist.