Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    I'm just gonna come out and say it: I made the EoD logo. It's fake. I'm sorry. Didn't expect it to blow up this much. To anyone who thought it was real, I'm flattered, thanks!
    But what if you're a troll? Or you have inside information that Empire of Dragons is real and you just made a fake logo to misdirect us?!

As we have seen, people at Blizzard are expert 5D chess players, we can't trust anything one way or another!

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    Still, most of the fluff around monks was added in MoP and not teased before that. So bards are still quite possible. Do I want them to be added into the game? Yes. Do I think they will? No, at least not until a very long time in the future, Tinker being the strongest contender (amongst others) as the next playable class. But eh, I didn't see monks coming, so I'd be happy to be wrong.
    Honestly, I don't really get the fantasy for Bards, but I also don't get why everyone thinks of classes in terms of opportunity cost. I admit the opportunity cost of not getting a different class would be unfortunate, but even if there were no new class that interests me, I suppose I could still take advantage of the whole rest of the expansion. I don't like Bards, but I do think people are waaaaay too overinvested in the opportunity cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Alleria during the battle of Lordaeron: I want to attack Silvermoon with an army & reclaim the Sunwell regardless of the consequences.

Hey you might be on to something
    I see that you have been experimenting in writing, you even rewrote the entire Battle of Lordaeron scenario, do post the entire fanfic version you made of the Battle of Lordaeron.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    It wasn't an Elite Tauren Chieftain, it was just a Tauren Chieftain, and its abilities were split between Warriors and Shaman.
    Not the playable one, the band that plays over the credits in the secret ending.
    None of those are major lore characters. Chen Stormstout, Illidan Stormrage, Arthas Menethil, Monte Gazlowe, those are major lore characters. The homage character of the former WoW sound designer? Not so much.
    Except now we're in the era where they've explicitly said "Major lore characters aren't indicative of playable classes." Thrall is a Warrior now apparently. When you ask for Tinkers they tell you that's just an engineer. When you ask for Dark Rangers they say that's just a Hunter. Anduin the priest with plate armor & a sword not to mention Tyrande doesn't resemble a priest at all. If they want an iconic class that's actually completely unique from what we already have: Bard is the clear choice.

Bards are now a significant part of the universe. And needing to go back to one game in 2002 to justify everything in your mmo is the definition of stale.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    But what if you're a troll? Or you have inside information that Empire of Dragons is real and you just made a fake logo to misdirect us?!

As we have seen, people at Blizzard are expert 5D chess players, we can't trust anything one way or another!
    I can't believe I can say this, but there are some people who would unironically agree with you. It borders on Sherlock ARG headcanons.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    Honestly, I don't really get the fantasy for Bards, but I also don't get why everyone thinks of classes in terms of opportunity cost. I admit the opportunity cost of not getting a different class would be unfortunate, but even if there were no new class that interests me, I suppose I could still take advantage of the whole rest of the expansion. I don't like Bards, but I do think people are waaaaay too overinvested in the opportunity cost.
    They'd work in Hearthstone better than they would in WoW, in my opinion. Not only are they a light-hearted class by nature, their abilities in other franchises are usually pure support ones. In WoW, all classes and specs have to be able to stand on their own for solo content.

They could absolutely adapt the concept to something slightly different, like some sort of shaman-like caster (remember Murmur?) that uses instruments to channel air (sound). Or a fourth spec for rogues that still has the base stealthy-stabby stuff, just combined with bard abilities.

But the traditional "toss a coin to your Witcher" inn bard? Nah, I don't see one going through the same questlines that all other classes go through, leading armies against gods and such.

1+ Year Old Account
    If Bard gets added to WoW, it will be as a profession, not a class.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    They'd work in Hearthstone better than they would in WoW, in my opinion. Not only are they a light-hearted class by nature, their abilities in other franchises are usually pure support ones. In WoW, all classes and specs have to be able to stand on their own for solo content.

They could absolutely adapt the concept to something slightly different, like some sort of shaman-like caster (remember Murmur?) that uses instruments to channel air (sound). Or a fourth spec for rogues that still has the base stealthy-stabby stuff, just combined with bard abilities.

But the traditional "toss a coin to your Witcher" inn bard? Nah, I don't see one going through the same questlines that all other classes go through, leading armies against gods and such.
    I'd say a Bard does strike me as best along the lines of a Rogue archetype. A lot of the archetypes of a Bard also exist in Outlaw Rogues, the swashbuckling charismatic sort of adventurer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Not the playable one, the band that plays over the credits in the secret ending.
    You honestly believe they’re going to base a class and a portion of an expansion’s lore on that?

Except now we're in the era where they've explicitly said "Major lore characters aren't indicative of playable classes."
    That isn’t even close to what I’m talking about here. Despite recent developments with long running characters, new classes have always been based on hero characters and abilities taken from WC3. There’s no reason to break from that tradition now when there’s still ample material from that source to pull from.

Bards are now a significant part of the universe. And needing to go back to one game in 2002 to justify everything in your mmo is the definition of stale.
    If Bards are so significant, name a major Bard character that has influenced the lore at any point in WCs history. I can’t think of a single one.

I'd say a Bard does strike me as best along the lines of a Rogue archetype. A lot of the archetypes of a Bard also exist in Outlaw Rogues, the swashbuckling charismatic sort of adventurer.
    But can a rogue... HANDLE A LUTE? AH!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking91 View Post
    If Bard gets added to WoW, it will be as a profession, not a class.
    I actually agree with this. A concept that is all about buffs and entertainment would make an excellent profession. Crafting songs and instruments, or campfire style buffs where people dance around your character? People would love it.

But can a rogue... HANDLE A LUTE? AH!
    No, but it can have your luscious portrait-hair, and that's the most important part of a Bard, isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

I actually agree with this. A concept that is all about buffs and entertainment would make an excellent profession. Crafting songs and instruments, or campfire style buffs where people dance around your character? People would love it.
    Back when professions were relevant, that would've been wonderful. Unfortunately, now you are your class and spec and little else.
    Last edited by Le Conceptuel; 2022-03-14 at 06:23 PM.

Excellent work—I am at once disappointed to hear it wasn't real and glad to say my doubts were realistic. I honestly didn't know you could do logo art so effectively. How long did it take you?

In that further connection, how did you make it? How much was drawn and how much was made from preexisting assets?
    It was made in Photoshop. Ok, so I used the classic vanilla logo as the reference point for the border and Shadowlands' logo for the "WoW" text (tweaked the colors etc). I handpainted the border, some parts are inspired by a Naaru but the rest I just winged. The starry background is just a photo of the sky.

No, but it can have your luscious portrait-hair, and that's the most important part of a Bard, isn't it?
    I stand humble and defeated, flattered also.

It was made in Photoshop. Ok, so I used the classic vanilla logo as the reference point for the border and Shadowlands' logo for the "WoW" text (tweaked the colors etc). I handpainted the border, some parts are inspired by a Naaru but the rest I just winged. The starry background is just a photo of the sky.
    I see. So, was it particularly time-consuming? I recall wanting to make fake concept art and a logo back in 2019 for a fake leak, but I just never was able to dedicate myself to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    It's interesting that I haven't seen more buzz about this comment from Jericho last night on the Ashes of Galakaros leak:

after about a month or so of silence, their last post being:

Now you'd think that after having said they're not sharing, that commenting on AoG's legitimacy would contradict that.

Which I think tells us either;
    A: Galakaros is fake, and Jericho is throwing us off because they know what 10.0 is. (They've been known to throw red herrings since Legion leak.)
    B: Galakaros is real, Jericho knows something this time again and is willing to legitimize the leak without fear of consequence.
    C: Galakaros is fake/real who knows, and Jericho doesn't know either. Playing w/ us.
    D: They were referring to Teriz' Dragontinker proc

Leaning towards A or C or D myself.
    There are true points in the post, but some bullshit in the post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho21 View Post
    There are true points in the post, but some bullshit in the post as well.
    Can we know what's the BS part?

Can we know what's the BS part?
    Not a chance. You'll know in a little over a month.

7+ Year Old Account
    I handpainted the border, some parts are inspired by a Naaru but the rest I just winged.
    @Totally Not Dragons

So much of 'reaching about Naarus', eh?

Formerly known as Arafal

I stand humble and defeated, flattered also.
    Really, if I were to think of the idea of a Bard, I can see a few things that could work for it—in my opinion, a Bard is more a dashing fencer with a side-order of music than just a wandering minstrel who uses magical instruments. This is only my interpretation, of course, but I find that to be the best version to think of for me. I picture more an agile Jack Sparrow archetype jumping around than a guy sitting in a corner playing an instrument, and I could see some archetypes that could work.

Aside from the fencer, there's the archetypical healer. I could see a proper healing specialization working out, especially if it's like Discipline where it focuses on both using healing and DPS (in this case a very odd mixture of a ranged healing array and a melee DPS array) or takes a "Pied Piper" approach and might have some Mind Control-based support effects. I think that the instruments should be used sparingly, probably consisting of flutes, trumpets, and other wind instruments since they can be played quickly (a violin could also work). A healer would sit in the corner and function more explicitly magically, probably with some more traditional, folk healing-esque healing spells combined with the eventual healing cornerstone of playing the flute every so often to give the big heals or CC. Similarly, the DPS would only play the instrument for CC as opposed to any kind of damage, or perhaps may use a Trumpet to boost their damage or inflict Holy damage if you want to take the revelations approach.

A tank I could picture as being an agile tank, which is something we don't really have. A swashbuckler who dodges attacks in melee combat with the attitude of a fencer could fill an interesting niche.

Though, as I said, the primary problem is getting a reason for not just putting this into a CC-heavy Rogue specialization. A Bard could make for an interesting – and this will be an odd opinion, but I think it makes sense – tanking specialization for Rogues as a frontline swashbuckler who occasionally uses CC-themed magical instruments. I do think there needs to be something very specific and interesting to make it not just be "Outlaw Rogue but musical".

If we want to go into a very big stretch, one could use Sirens or Sea Witches for some inspiration, mixing frost or lightning magic into the healing songs, but that might be pretty awkward.