3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    That's your own headcanon though - our characters *are* part of the stories and still considered leaders of our order hall to this day. Hell, we even appeared in the new Sylvanas novel.
    'We' did? Any pictures of the section where it's mentioned in the book?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonDemonGirl View Post
    Basically the old quest about Allerias' necklace is mentioned - of course it won't go into detail who we are but the "adventurer" is there and giving her the necklace. I would like to not post a picture of a book that you can buy yourself though haha. Sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    One or two, maybe. But most story beats this expansion and last alone would rely heavily on the player character witnessing the events of someone else doing the job. If you put us in Tyrande's place, you couldn't, say, realistically have a player jettison out and grab Sylvanas by the throat during the Ardenweald invasion. Just about the only thing we have plot agency over is to bring the sigil to Torghast like a fucking moron.

Even 14 at its best leans a lot on the Scions because they have rigidly defined jobs they can animate around. They can't script a scene of us High Jumping Fandaniel's barrier so they give it to Estinien.

Hell, 14 was marketed around the Paladin and the CE Statue was the WoL using Passage of Arms. What happens when we get to Meteion? Gra'ha Tia uses it and we kinda stand there.

There's just inherent limitations to a long form game with that many customization variants.
    We wouldn't be in Tyrande's place, but that likely wouldn't be the case in 14 either. To your point, the WoL is animated in where it makes sense in 14 with the Scions being a perfect fit for their inherent situations. Story-wise, we would not have made nearly as much sense in that role as Tyrande anyhow, so it wouldn't have been a good fit. That's not so much the limitation of customizations (though that is a factor) as much as it is how that particular plot arc was centered around Tyrande. That was her fight to have, not ours.

Where I see something like that cinematic working would be if the player character was given more specific issues related to them in the story rather than just being the interns for Thrall & Jaina. The cinematic you linked for instance was related to a massive story specifically linked to the main character. If we had more stories related specific to our character, it could still work. That's not due to class fantasy though IMO, so as long as the cinematics didn't require specific spell attacks it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry123 View Post
    Maybe King Anduin was a failure? and will become a green jesus in the next expansion
    Shadowlands is a WOTLK parody
    next expansion parody of Cataclysm
    Eh, it makes sense to cool him off given what happened, and have him return more realistic and less idealistic so he seems like a more competent character who is actually able to lead the Alliance without having him eat up entire expansions to get that development. Otherwise we're back to damaged boy king who improbably holds the Alliance together despite making a series of poor choices when dealing with the Horde and miraculously isn't deposed by.. well, anyone.

But this is WoW, Blizzard is bad at storytelling and writing, and an MMO is not a great place to tell a story like that. So they'll villain bat a Horde leader to give us drama and maybe we'll get that raid Thunder Bluff Wrathion wanted. First boss is the elevator boss, so good luck guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    They sell novels precisely because the story isn't told in the game
    Hrm, maybe that's an ongoing problem.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonDemonGirl View Post
    I think its mostly referenced in Chronicles Vol 3 by saying heroes/champions of X faction or group
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

1+ Year Old Account
    "But the truest victory, my son, is stirring the hearts of your people. I tell you this, for when my days have come to and end. You, shall be king."

Quote Originally Posted by Catastrophy349 View Post
    "But the truest victory, my son, is stirring the hearts of your people. I tell you this, for when my days have come to and end. You, shall be king."
    Yes, Terenas, and?

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    Yes, Terenas, and?
    I prefer to remain, enigmatic.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baedril View Post
    That's probably also why FFXIV has better looking cutscenes, it's more value to them putting in the effort whilst WoW is still experimenting with it. I'm sure if Blizzard sees the value of cutscenes in SL and decides to up the production value we'd see WoW in-game cinematics rapidly improving as well.
    You say XIV has better cutscenes but a lot of them are still voiceless with recycled animations and stiff looking movement just to give useless exposition. Say what you will about WoW's cutscenes but at least they are brief and to the point, and every cutscene that's "important" has voice work done for it.

XIV has a nasty problem with cutscene bloat and struggles with moderating filler content big time. I would never want that for WoW. Even if it is a worse medium for storytelling (let's be real MMO's will never be good for this) I prefer WoW's brief moments here or there to give you context and then its time to move on.

And this is coming from someone who avidly enjoys XIV's story.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Terenas, and?
    He is a Blizz employee so this confirms Lordaeron Revamp

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    He is a Blizz employee so this confirms Lordaeron Revamp
    He's not, he's pretending to be one after this whole thread latched at him for sounding "off" That being said, Lordaeron is my #1 bet now, like many others on this thread I suppose

Though I'm pretty sure actual Blizzard employees lurk here and read these yearly hype threads

7+ Year Old Account
    He's not, he's pretending to be one after this whole thread latched at him for sounding "off" That being said, Lordaeron is my #1 bet now, like many others on this thread I suppose
    Ah sorry, forgot to add /s to my post

I need this new PTR build to arrive today - and early.

1+ Year Old Account
    I'm not pretending to be a Blizzard employee. I flat out said that I wasn't one. I think that the Terenas quote is interesting is all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gifdwarf View Post
    Though I'm pretty sure actual Blizzard employees lurk here and read these yearly hype threads
    Almost certainly. Given Ion's comments about "do the eyes make sense now?" during the Shadowlands reveal, there's definitely a handful of them that do.

Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    Almost certainly. Given Ion's comments about "do the eyes make sense now?" during the Shadowlands reveal, there's definitely a handful of them that do.
    Also Eye of Azshara was named after one of the leaks here, not sure who but I remember someone in this thread made the original.

They do for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Ah sorry, forgot to add /s to my post
    Ah sorry my man, foggy brain today

Quote Originally Posted by Fiercelord View Post
    I need this new PTR build to arrive today - and early.
    Same, we need more fuel for the hype train!

I'm not pretending to be a Blizzard employee. I flat out said that I wasn't one. I think that the Terenas quote is interesting is all.
    Alright then

Also Eye of Azshara was named after one of the leaks here, not sure who but I remember someone in this thread made the original.
    That, and the Tides of Vengeance patch. And something else in one of the presentations used as a meme/joke. They do lurk here, it is certain

That, and the Tides of Vengeance patch. And something else in one of the presentations used as a meme/joke. They do lurk here, it is certain
    Oh I can't believe I forgot that one! Yeah that was probably the most blatant reference to this forum.