1. #53041
    Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    It's a shame if they feel that way because I feel like Drakonids would very likely be more played than Gnomes, Pandas, Goblins, Kul Tirans, LF Draenei, HM Tauren and Nightborne at the very least. Possibly even moreso than Dwarves, Tauren and Forsaken.
    I agree, but they want a race that can compete with human and blood elves instead of a mid-popularity race. Hence why they can turn into two of the most popular races in the game.

    If they open up combat for the visage forms I think Dracthyr could become some of the most playable races, doubly so when they can be druid and hunter down the line.

  2. #53042
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    I don't dislike Drakonids but compared to Dracthyr:

    A) They only represent one flight at a time/don't have Dracthyr's "prism" theme
    B) Aren't as conventionally attractive
    C) Don't have wings

    All sticking points against them.
    I actually really love the Dracthyr model. I'm pissed they can only be Evokers.

    I'm more referencing the passionate debate over always Dracthyr form vs. Visage in combat form. No matter what, people are going to be pissed.

    Drakonids would have been safe. People wouldn't have been pissed at their implementation and there wouldn't have been this debate about the two forms.

  3. #53043
    Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    I actually really love the Dracthyr model. I'm pissed they can only be Evokers.

    I'm more referencing the passionate debate over always Dracthyr form vs. Visage in combat form. No matter what, people are going to be pissed.

    Drakonids would have been safe. People wouldn't have been pissed at their implementation and there wouldn't have been this debate about the two forms.
    The fact that people are actually debating about Dracthyr means they care about what happens to them. Drakonids would've been safe and had less debating/fixing needed, but I doubt they have the potential audience of the Dracthyr.

    Debates/whining before Alpha starts is better than mid-level reception throughout without any hangups. Though I doubt they will add classes to Dracthyr until at LEAST a patch, they definitely will add more to their models and/or tweak how visage works.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Pretty cool interview snippet with Muffinus:

    https://gamerant.com/world-of-warcra...tory-factions/

    -Stone Drakes, Twilight Dragons and Storm Drakes will appear. Netherwings may also appear
    -Dragonspawn and Drakonid culture will be explored
    -Emerald Dream origin may be explained

  4. #53044
    The Insane Raetary's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Base Camp
    Posts
    19,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    Makes no sense that a Dracthyr can't choose to pick up an axe and smash things or use a bow and arrow and tame beasts, at the very least.
    Whether they can pick up an axe or not isn't the question, but rather "why would a Dracthyr, a humanoid dragon being that has holds the essence of all dragonflights combined, resort to menial forms of battle instead of just using their draconic powers?".

    It makes no sense for them to be other classes, because Evokers isn't just a random class but the description of the Dracthyrs powers.
    Dracthyr ARE Evokers from the ground up, they are one and the same.


    Formerly known as Arafal

  5. #53045
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    The fact that people are actually debating about Dracthyr means they care about what happens to them. Drakonids would've been safe and had less debating/fixing needed, but I doubt they have the potential audience of the Dracthyr.

    Debates/whining before Alpha starts is better than mid-level reception throughout without any hangups. Though I doubt they will add classes to Dracthyr until at LEAST a patch, they definitely will add more to their models and/or tweak how visage works.
    You've made some very good ponts and I agree and have changed my stance slightly.

    I'll always stand by the Dracthyr as Evokers only though is a silly decision. We may get them available as other classes eventually but I just feel it would have been in the general consensus of players best interests to have Dracthyr made available to a wider selection of classes at launch. It sucks for those who love the Dracthyr form, but won't vibe with Evoker. It's also something that could have been slightly better accepted if there was either a melee or tank spec available too.

    This is why I believe that Drakonid absolutely must be an Allied Race available at launch or not long after. Blizz need to throw a bone to the players who want to play a Dragon style creature but not as an Evoker.

  6. #53046
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Whether they can pick up an axe or not isn't the question, but rather "why would a Dracthyr, a humanoid dragon being that has holds the essence of all dragonflights combined, resort to menial forms of battle instead of just using their draconic powers?"
    Same reason human warriors exist when they can tap into Arcane the best out of any race. Same with Nightborne warriors, Orc anything but shamans, etc.

    The racial prowess doesn't matter if it means for characterization. It doesn't make sense for Dracthyr at launch to be warriors because they likely have zero melee training, but down the line? It is shitty lore for every single one of them to want to continue being one class UNLESS their lore is that they are literally robots programmed to only do aspect magic.

  7. #53047
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Whether they can pick up an axe or not isn't the question, but rather "why would a Dracthyr, a humanoid dragon being that has holds the essence of all dragonflights combined, resort to menial forms of battle instead of just using their draconic powers?".

    It makes no sense for them to be other classes, because Evokers isn't just a random class but the description of the Dracthyrs powers.
    Dracthyr ARE Evokers from the ground up, they are one and the same.
    I would say it is a little disingenuous to say that Shamans, Druids and Mages are menial classes.

    As for why they would play as other classes - because why not? As far as we know, they're individuals, not a hive mind. Maybe some Dracthyr have a personality that steers them to want to follow and practice Druidism, or arcane arts.

    Maybe some Dracthyr are particularly physical and hot headed and want to pummel and smash things with big weapons as opposed to fighting from afar.

    Maybe some Dracthyr picked up a bow and arrow and thought "hmmm, I like this."
    Last edited by Santandame; 2022-04-22 at 03:31 PM.

  8. #53048
    Blizzards presentation of this race make it seem like

    the Blood Elf Male and Human Female Visage forms are the race,

    And that the Drachthyr dragon form is just a decked out Class Form with mild customization.

    So far we see
    Visage Form can where all armor, has Race-level quantity of customization options.
    Dracthyr form has barber shop options for Dracthyr unique armor/models that are like the Nightborne accessories at best.

    (Honestly not sure if their wording was bad in that dev interview explaining they might wear armor, but i believe they simply meant the barbershop options, not traditional armor.)

    If they wanted to show that The Dracthyr Dragon form was REALLY the race, they didn't do a great job imo.
    Last edited by elderu; 2022-04-22 at 03:33 PM.

  9. #53049
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    "All of this could've been avoided if they went with the most boring and unimaginative route possible"
    Look, not everyone is as excited as you are with the approach. I still kinda agree with one class one race is the worst idea ever. It's only limiting players.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by elderu View Post
    Blizzards presentation of this race make it seem like

    the Blood Elf Male and Human Female Visage forms are the race,
    Wolfing out means: Drakthyr will just look like humans or blood elves. They will have armor on etc, so half of the stuff isn't even shown. Transmog excists, so ye some will probably go shirtless. But, in the end of the day the silhouette is what sticks around. They could have atleast made the idle animation different, but nope. Blood elf model has just been used a little bit to much, with barely any changes.

  10. #53050
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Look, not everyone is as excited as you are with the approach. I still kinda agree with one class one race is the worst idea ever. It's only limiting players.
    Without limiting players, there'd be no game. A game is a set of limitations to what you can do.

    The idea that limiting players is inherently bad thus makes no sense.

  11. #53051
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,389
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Without limiting players, there'd be no game. A game is a set of limitations to what you can do.

    The idea that limiting players is inherently bad thus makes no sense.
    This is really taking it way out of context. I am obviously talking about one class one race combo. Just one thing. Is imo just not a great idea. If you not into it, there is literally nothing there for you with either the class or race.

  12. #53052
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    19,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    "All of this could've been avoided if they went with the most boring and unimaginative route possible"
    Ah yes, taking demonhunter 2.0 selling as race sure is very imaginative and not boring at all

  13. #53053
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In some Sanctuaryesque place or a Haven
    Posts
    44,683
    Limiting the player is going to happen in any game no matter what.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

    Warrior-Magi

  14. #53054
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    The fact that people are actually debating about Dracthyr means they care about what happens to them. Drakonids would've been safe and had less debating/fixing needed, but I doubt they have the potential audience of the Dracthyr.

    Debates/whining before Alpha starts is better than mid-level reception throughout without any hangups. Though I doubt they will add classes to Dracthyr until at LEAST a patch, they definitely will add more to their models and/or tweak how visage works.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Pretty cool interview snippet with Muffinus:

    https://gamerant.com/world-of-warcra...tory-factions/

    -Stone Drakes, Twilight Dragons and Storm Drakes will appear. Netherwings may also appear
    -Dragonspawn and Drakonid culture will be explored
    -Emerald Dream origin may be explained
    I've just seen the bottom bit.

    Based off the interview, I assume the Netherwing, Storm Drakes and Stone Drakes will be enemies for a time. Or perhaps some of the questing is negotiating with those flights.

    Dragonspawn and Drakonid culture being explored is great and hopefully means Drakonid's will end up being an Allied Race.

  15. #53055
    Banned Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    30,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    I would say it is a little disingenuous to say that Shamans, Druids and Mages are menial classes.

    As for why they would play as other classes - because why not? As far as we know, they're individuals, not a hive mind. Maybe some Dracthyr have a personality that steers them to want to follow and practice Druidism, or arcane arts.

    Maybe some Dracthyr are particularly physical and hot headed and want to pummel and smash things with big weapons as opposed to fighting from afar.

    Maybe some Dracthyr picked up a bow and arrow and thought "hmmm, I like this."
    TBF, Evoker IS a hero class, so yes in comparison, Druid and Shaman are menial/common classes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    "All of this could've been avoided if they went with the most boring and unimaginative route possible"
    Exactly. Heaven help us if we get something innovative and interesting. Everything doesn’t need to be grounded down to appeal to everyone.

  16. #53056
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    This is really taking it way out of context. I am obviously talking about one class one race combo. Just one thing. Is imo just not a great idea. If you not into it, there is literally nothing there for you with either the class or race.
    Not really. Your argument is ultimately rather arbitrary. There is no particular reason why Blizzard has to or should do it differently. You just want them to.

    The players aren't losing anything by Blizzard doing it this way. They are being their usual insatiable selfs by always demanding more, however.

  17. #53057
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    19,840
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Without limiting players, there'd be no game. A game is a set of limitations to what you can do.

    The idea that limiting players is inherently bad thus makes no sense.
    No one is saying limiting players in all stances is inherently bad, people are saying Limiting players in this stance(as well with other player choices for class/race) is bad

    What doesn't make sense is using those absurd exagerations trying to scorn the argument

  18. #53058
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    TBF, Evoker IS a hero class, so yes in comparison, Druid and Shaman are menial/common classes.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Exactly. Heaven help us if we get something innovative and interesting. Everything doesn’t need to be grounded down to appeal to everyone.
    In comparison yes. In comparison, a Warrior is menial to a Mage. That doesn't stop a human from pursuing to be a Warrior over a Mage.

    Either way, it doesn't change the point I was making.

  19. #53059
    Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    Maybe some Dracthyr picked up a bow and arrow and thought "hmmm, I like this."
    If you can breathe nuclear devastation on your enemies you're not, not going to do that.

  20. #53060
    The Insane Raetary's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Base Camp
    Posts
    19,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Look, not everyone is as excited as you are with the approach.
    I have advocated for Drakonids and the expansion of visage forms (aka, expanding the class to other races) quite a few times now, me liking the visuals enough to put them in my sig does not equal being satisfied with Blizzards execution.


    Formerly known as Arafal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •